Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Nintendo should just release a new dock with the wall in front of the screen is only 1" or 2" tall and is just there to support the bottom of the console. Or have the USB-c plug on the the bottom of the dock on a swivel so you put the switch down and then it leans back a few degrees so it doesn't fall forward. Bam, same support with no screen scratching. They can still have air ports at the bottom too, plus air could travel in from the front and under the console to the air inlets on the back. The screen turns off anyway, so no need to have that wall. Much more like the WiiU cradle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Hace posted:

Also why are people trying to play in tabletop mode, aka the worst mode.

Its ok for short plays. My wife and I played snipperclips in bed last night, leaned it against my Sheikah Slate case since the kickstand doesn't work on a comforter. I can see putting it on the coffee table and playing if my kid wants to watch Mickey Mouse or whatever. So one of those stands that allows you to charge and play may be nice if you want to keep it on your computer desk to play if your TV is being occupied (and why spend $90 on another dock to play on a second TV... I'd spend $45 if it came with the adapter too).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

USB2 is rated at 60MB/s. It would be just fine.

What? No, I meant just let the screen rotate if held upside down is all.

but the fan exhaust is on the top, you don't want that facing downwards

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Meh unless you bought a bunch, $100 profit per unit isn't really all that hot. Not exactly rags to riches for that kind of hassle

Ya, I bought an extra Switch and Pro Controller because I preordered on Gamestop but then got the Switch on Amazon (free shipping + Amazon credit card) and Pro Controller on Best Buy (free shipping and some gift cards), but decided to keep my Gamestop orders as backup incase Amazon or Best Buy fucks up (like with the Majoras Mask N3DSXL). Looking on eBay, I would have to list them at $500 for both in order to break even after tax + shipping from gamestop, and then eBay and PayPal fees.

With that said, if there are any DC area goons that are looking for a Pro Controller or a Switch (gray), I put a thread up on SAmart and would just like my money back plus a few extra $'s to get some Taco Bell on the way home for the exchange. Otherwise they are going back to Gamestop Thursday (I think the stores take online returns).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 6, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

If you want a good laugh go look at metacritic's negative user reviews. Lots of salty people who don't know how to have fun.

Haha, I am not that far into the game yet, but I am at the point where I feel like I break more weapons killing enemies than I get worthwhile drops. I break a broadsword and get a club or pitchfork, its a pain. It isn't an easy kids game.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

Oh yeah, I could go back to Zelda 1 or LttP, too, or the gameboy ones. I don't think I have another Ocarina playthrough left in me, though.

reach down deep, there is always one. Zelda, LttP, OoT, WW and ALBW all have replay value to me. I could maybe do Majora's Mask once more in the future. That said, it is too early for me to say BOTW has replay value to me, not because it isn't that good, I think it will just be THAT long where I may not have the time. Unless I try to speed run it and go straight to the end.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

My glass screen finally shipped, but its delivery estimate is next Tuesday. A full week? What is this, 2008?

Utnayan posted:

For those on the fence, this is the only video you need to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

I have to admit, I put the joycon straps on incorrectly my first time. But I didn't have many lights on in the room and it was hard to see the + and -, and it was a pain to get off but I just grabbed the controller with my index and middle finger and hooked my thumb on the strap piece and squeezed.

Also, all of the dead consoles and technical issues does give me some anxiety, haha. Will have to baby mine.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ya, the rumble on the pro controller is definitely too weak.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Yeah I think BOTW replays are going to be speed/gimmick runs as opposed to 100% it again. I think the only game in the entire series I haven't played more than once is Twilight Princess.

Twilight Princess was one that took me forever to beat the first time. I got it on Gamecube and Wii and have started it a handful of times but would hate how murky the graphics were during Twilight sequences on a LCD tv and end up quitting. I'd either have to squint to see detail or squint from turning the brightness too high. I got a CRT again for my PS2/GC/XBox and older systems and it looks ok on that but ended up just waiting for the WIiU HD release to actually beat it. Will probably be many years before I do another play through (if ever).

Though I do still need to go do the Wolf Link cave/trials to beef up my Amiibo if I want to use that. I haven't used any Amiibo's so far, but may need to if this stupid horse I am trying to break-in doesn't stop veering off course (its been hours and it still does it), or if I run out of weapons.. which seems like it is possible if I keep wandering into areas that are too powerful for me.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nintendo is seriously saying dead pixels normal? That's a new low.

Ya, that is badly worded by them. But most companies (for electronics, devices, monitors, etc) won't replace your device unless there is a group of 3 or more dead pixels or a bunch across the screen. Just a dead pixel or two, and they will tell you too bad. Nintendo should have worded it that sometimes dead pixels occur during manufacturing and if there are more than X many, please contact support.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

murked by dragon posted:

i hope the switch continues to do well. unlike the wii u, which was a piece of poo poo rightfully overlooked by many tens of millions of people, the switch is actually a Good Console

I liked the WiiU a lot and wish I got mine sooner than I did. People poo poo on it just for the sake of it. Not saying it wasn't perfect or that I am glad it wasn't as powerful as the PS4 or XB1, but it was an underrated system.

The Switch has more potential, but it is too early to say it is better until we can see more games. Especially considering the frame rate drops, Zelda is either pretty much pushing it to its limits or people still need to figure out how to more efficiently make games for it to get more out of it. If it is the former, who knows how it will fare in the long run? We could get stuck with up-priced mobile games or people may actually put time into getting AAA games on it and just lock them to 720p with low draw distances and graphics. Sadly, I don't expect a GTA6 coming out on it, or a mainline FF game or a Witcher 3 port, but I guess that is why I have a PS4/PC/XB1. I would really love to just get down to a Nintendo + PC since Sony is dropping the ball on exclusives (been more of a Playstation gamer post N64, though still played a lot of Nintendo).

I'm not making GBS threads on the Switch, because I am really enjoying mine and would love to make it my main current gen console instead of the PS4, but we will have to see what comes out of it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Also, for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, did I read that they are bringing back being able to hold an item and pick up another in queue like in prior games? That is the only reason I rank MK7 over MK8. But if Deluxe is bringing that back, then it will definitely be the best IMO, especially being portable and console mode.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's bringing that back and an actual battle mode and a few items like the feather

Thanks. Ya, that Splatoon battle arena looks great. Brings back memories of the N64 days.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Amazon has Neon Switch in stock and the particular seller has them 10% off for $269.99? Really weird, 2 units left in stock. I wonder if I could contact Amazon since it is less than a week and see if they will give me 10% in credit back.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

They should just enable cloud storage for save game uploads with the paid online subscription like what PS+ does. It just saved my FF15 saves last week when it crashed during a battle and corrupted my save files.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

How long until people sell new dock shells that you just take the PCB out of Nintendo's dock and snap it into the new one?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Phone posted:

Also, I was goofing off and was recommending a GBA Micro to a friend and took a few pics.

*Looks around my office/gaming room... GB Micro Famicom edition still there? Check. GBA SP 101 (originally pink) in a new black casing still there? Check. Gray Switch still there? Check. Phew*

Was about to call my alarm company for a refund...

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 7, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Not a Children posted:

Once the third party accessories kick in a new dock should be like $30 or so. I plan on getting one or two, but not at $90

Isn't there some type of lockout so people can't use generic USB-c to HDMI adapters? Would Nintendo license that out and lose money on their insanely overpriced ones?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Not a Children posted:

I don't see how you'd lock out a USB-C to HDMI signal other than through an easily subverted/replicated handshake to make sure it's the "right" kind of connection. See also: the lockout chip in the NES

Thats what I was thinking, some custom handshake has to occur with specific code that they copyright and block out third parties from producing without licensing or a hack on the Switch's end. Basically like a custom DRM handshake.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Phone posted:

The SP is a -001, though.

Haha, nice. My 2DS is red though, but great minds think alike.

Here are my Nintendo handhelds. The original GBA has a backlit SP-101 screen in it. The black one is a 101 in a new casing (was a really scratched up Pink one I got for cheap). The atomic purple GBC has the front light mod. I have some other GBC and GBA without screen mods that aren't pictured. I also have a GB Boy Colour that I mainly use for GB/GBC games.

The Switch fits in nicely but would look even more in place if I got the neon.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 7, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ok, last big picture post. But I am posting this here since I am avoiding the Zelda thread for spoilers, but my strategy guide came in today (yes, I see the irony in this sentence). It looks great and comes with a cool map. Definitely some good shelf candy and something to flip through to put next to Hyrule Historia.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

eonwe posted:

thats a cool collection

Thanks, I had every Zelda Edition handheld for a bit except for the PAL only Zelda GBA SP. However, I thought that was madness and sold the two 3DS editions and the other N3DSXL edition since they were just sitting on my shelf unused.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Feenix posted:

Is SnipperClips the only Demo on the store?

In the US, ya. Japan has that Puyo Tetris and DQ Heroes 1&2 demos.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Utnayan posted:

Ok you have my respect because Golgo 13 is in your library of carts.

They need to bring that IP back.

But, you have Gyromite, but not ROB. So.... one point deduction.

ROB is still at my parents house (if they didn't throw it away, god I hope not, it was in my old bedroom's closet last I checked). I left him there for safe keeping until I bought my own house so he wouldn't endure moves, drunken roommates, etc. I just bought my house in January, so he will brought back when I go down there next.

Ya, I wish I had Golgo 13 growing up, sadly I didn't get it until a couple years ago before prices went up.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I thought Human Resource Machine was a release title, but I can't find it in the eShop. Is it not released yet?

I think it got delayed. It is a fun game, though, played it on my phone.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

I tried Fast RMX local 2 player racing, and it works really well. The game still runs smooth and looks pretty, and using one joycon as a mini gamepad is so drat cute. It's going to be very cool for Mario Kart 8 team battles. Having the screen split vertically is ideal for a racing game where you don't need a wide field of view, so you're not having to squint or have your nose almost touching the screen.

I was able to play online multiplayer races at the motel, so my connectivity issue at home must be on my side. This seems to happen with only one out of 50 online games for me.

I played using a single joycon today and it made me want to get these. Wasn't a big fan of using L3 for boost or trying to dig my fingers into the SR/SL buttons to lean into turns. But I did better than I expected, especially being out of practice in these fast race type of games/FZero clones.

Actually, screw it, just bought them since they will be more comfortable for Snipperclip action and are apparently easier to deal with than those straps.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 8, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

WanderingKid posted:

Does anyone else get a buzzing noise when they have headphones plugged in? Its the same charging from the 3 pin adapter, via the dock or on battery only and its driving me mad.

Yep, kinda sounds like the fan causing noise on the audio output? Reminds me of using headphones on the GB/GBC/GBA with the low level hum that headphones with any amount of bass would pick up (so stick with $0.99 earbuds and it goes away). They pretty much fixed it with the DS and 3DS, but brought it back I guess as a "retro feature"... jk

I actually noticed it less when I use my nicer ATMH50's than I do using earbuds. My Sony Vita earbuds (which are great quality for $12 by the way if you want something with an in-line mic mute switch for cheap) isn't as bad as my PDP BoTW special edition earbuds they released with the console, those are more evident. Luckily the hum/buzz volume level stays the same no matter the actual volume level, so just turning it up helps block it out. Maybe something to do with headphones with higher impedance not being as affected? Which is weird since they usually have more definition but take more to drive I guess.

It is my biggest gripe with the system since I plan to lay in bed and play Zelda after my wife passes out, so will be using headphones.

BTW, the PDP BOTW earbuds are really comfortable and sound good despite picking up on hum/buzz from the system more than other headphones it seems.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is going to be oddly specific but a few people asked about it, so I could shed some light.

Some were asking if anyone else has their left joycon "move" slightly if pushed up while locked in the system. I confirmed mine does as well. It's a very slight amount. People were wondering if it was the controller or the console to blame.

I just got a new set of joycons and you cannot move the left one at all when it's in the system. So it is definitely not the system, but the controller.

It is entirely possible that using those stupid things that have the L and R extenders on them caused it, because I put one on backward and it was almost impossible to get out. Maybe I loosened something up a bit by doing that, no idea. It's really negligible but I thought other people asking about it would be happy to know.

Ya, if you look closely, it is just a small piece of plastic keeping it in. So easy to wear out or damage Id assume. I also put those stupid straps on backwards and was worried I screwed it up (was my left joycon as well). One time I knocked the left joycon up the rail about 1/4 way while playing. I was worried it was broken already but I think I just didnt snap it in all the way because I couldn't reproduce it. Even that is worrisome with the amount of pressure holding the console up on the other joycon.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

WanderingKid posted:

Huh, interesting. I'm using my production headphones (UM Pro 30s). I'm pretty high risk for noise induced hearing loss so I keep the volume really low most of the time.

Ya, those are definitely better than my ATMH50's. I'll have to do another sound test, I may have just not noticed as much for another reason but it may still be present. I'll do a test tomorrow with all the different headphones I have and see if it can make a difference. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling it is from that fan inside.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

if your cart slot stops reading games, repeatedly plugging in headphones can spark it back to life somehow since they seem to share the same failure prone part of the pcb.

Relaying something you read or personal experience? Hopefully the former.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Gunder posted:

My switch has a slightly wobbly right joycon when connected to the console. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is with the rail built into the main body of the Switch itself, or with the connecter on the joycon. Has anyone tried swapping joycons to relieve the wobble?

No personal experience, but have seen videos where people got a new set of joycons and the wobble was gone. but who knows on a case by case basis. That said, if anything breaks in that department, I expect the joycons to first. However, if the Switch's rail slots get bent, then no joycon swap would fix it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Utnayan posted:

Well, a variety of reasons. Outside this bubble of the internet (SA Games)

Splatoon 2 will move units among:
- Nintendo fans who aren't big Zelda or open world game fans
- people who didn't have the extra cash at launch or MK8 release to get a Switch
- people waiting on joycon issues to be addressed one way or another
- teens and college kids working their summer jobs and having the money to finally buy the Switch with another major release
- Splatoon fans waiting for a Splatoon 2 bundle with special colored joycons seems to be a high hope for some

Sales will start to drop mid april and spike again for MK8, especially if a bundle. They will Spike again around Splatoon2, but definitely not as high as launch of course, console sales never do unless a price drop occurs with a major game bundle. We'll have to see what comes out in the fall besides Skyrim as I expect another moderately big game or two may. Then ya, Mario + holiday season will be a major jump starting black friday.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I can't understand why Nintendo didn't make a console that's got
  • better battery time

What handheld gaming device has better battery life? The Vita didn't until the slim model came out. The 3DS didn't until the N3DS/XL. 3-6 hours with wifi and brightness cranked is about in-line with gaming devices. The Shield portable was around 6 without the brightness cranked for games being played locally (obviously streaming from a PC had longer battery life). And no other gaming device has the power that the Switch has. The closest is the Shield portable and they are about equal battery life if you compared similar graphically intensive games.

Do I wish it had a longer battery life? gently caress yes. But with nothing else to compare it to with longer battery life, I am not really complaining. Luckily I haven't taken it on a road trip or a plane, so I haven't run into any battery issues yet, though my tune may be different if I did. I haven't had to turn brightness above 50%, usually at 0% when playing in the dark at night or 30-50% when playing in the day even next to an open window. So real world battery life is acceptable based on other handhelds.

It has its problems with the joycon, DOA units, screen scratching from the dock and that annoying hum over headphones (I thought it was the fan, but think it is the screen because lighter colors like lots of white on the screen changes the hum intensity/frequency).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Seriously, a Mario Kart port isn't going to matter to anyone who isn't trying to justify the switch they bought in March

Seriously, the best MK game gets improved with bringing back multiple items, added battle system of old, and is now portable? Mario Kart is a system seller on its own. Many people did not buy the WiiU but love Mario Kart, so it will sell Switch consoles and lots of people are excited for it. People will see the console + tabletop + handheld modes for Mario Kart (especially 3DS owners who skipped the WiiU), and will want to get it.

I know I can't wait even though I have MK8 on the WiiU. I am fine with just Zelda, Blaster Master, Snipperclips and Fast RMX (and maybe I am Setsuna since I have been eyeing that since it came out on other consoles) until Splatoon2 comes out, I am sure those would take up months of my time considering the little amount of gaming time I have these days. However, I will definitely drop money on buying MK8 Deluxe anyway.

Ya, definitely call out people who blindly defend Nintendo and its hardware issues and business decisions that boggle the mind. However, saying no one cares about Mario Kart is ridiculous. It comes off as just wanting to trash Nintendo for no reason. Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda and Pokemon are all system sellers. Maybe Metroid too if they put some effort into it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Utnayan posted:

Splatoon 2 offers copy maps and a couple new maps. The only other additions are the following (including obvious graphical improvements)

1) Press "X" to access the map
2) Local multiplayer
3) 1 new weapon type: Splat Dualies
4) New specials for existing weapons from the first game
5) New music.

New COD/Battlefield/Madden games never sell well....

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

THE loving MOON posted:

Switch is gonna have a pretty respectable line-up by this fall, right around the time they make their big Christmas marketing push. The console itself has way more appeal than the WiiU ever did, and I've seen a lot of excitement for it. I think they'll be okay, but I also don't think they'll replace the 3DS with it altogether until a Monster Hunter and/or Pokemon Stars convince the handheld peeps to make the switch en masse. I can't imagine them releasing a 3DS successor as things stand, that'd be pretty dumb.

Agreed, it definitely has more potential than the WiiU, but they need to fix the joycon and push games out to maintain interest/hype. It will do better than the WiiU either way.

I don't see it replacing the 3DS unless they can make a smaller, handheld only, lower res screen version with permanent controls attached for cheaper ($150-$200). I think that would be ok, as 3D is interesting and became very usable with the N3DS/XL release, but not necessary. Also, dual screens is cool for having maps pulled up or inventory, however, people are used to other consoles and PC having just 1 screen and would adapt to a single screen handheld.

Basically, even though the Switch is portable, I don't see it knocking out their handheld market. I dunno, I just can't see as many people traveling with that as they would a 2DS/3DS/XL. Or an 8 year old sitting in the back of the car for hours playing it unless they detach the controllers and hang the console itself on the back of the headrest in front of them. Or parents spending $300 on each kid like they do with the $99 2DS.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Utnayan posted:

I am not saying it isn't going to sell. I am sure it will. I am sure it will be a fun and fantastic game just like the original. That statement was made in contrary to someone saying it was a brand new game (It isn't. It's a port with added features listed in my post) I do disagree it will be a system seller. It will sell into the base.

Oh ok, but I mean to also point out the correlation to those annual installment multiplayer heavy games. Many are barely improvements other than re-screens or slight mechanic changes. Gameplay is largely the same with just scenery and gun reskins to make them time period appropriate. So just as many or less improvements compared to Splatoon2 over Splatoon1, and they are new games.

Like I said above, I believe there will be a jump in Switch sales with it based on its timing (more games on the system with Zelda and MK8, teens/college kids having summer job money, if they sell bundles with new joycon colors). Nothing like the launch or holiday sales, but a bump nonetheless compared to the post MK8 lull that will happen.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 8, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

Is this a new thread game where we pretend we lost the part of our brain that can comprehend iterative design?

Because Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was a really lazy port of Assassin's Creed 2.

Those stupid consumers buying it and considering it the 2nd best AC game.... don't they realize they just bought a port with a new storyline?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

HyperPuma posted:

do people really want to be comparing splatoon to call of duty and madden?

Yes, when discussing multiplayer heavy games with smaller gameplay changes between each new game. But Splatoon2 has the bonus of not cheesing annual releases and is on an entirely new system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

THE loving MOON posted:

I actually don't know if a scaled down handheld-only switch would make much of a difference for dedicated handheld players, and would probably muddy the waters because that would essentially be a dedicated 3DS successor, and not a Switch at all really. I don't really see anybody keeping their 3DS in their pockets, it's mostly nestled away in a bookbag or a satchel or something, where people also keep their tablets. I think it's mostly about traditionally handhel IP's coming over.

They do need to fix the hardware issues though. I haven't encountered any of them, including desync, but I've definitely read enough about them to know it's a thing.

Probably true. I just think of my own scenarios when traveling and having to stuff my stuff and part of my kid's stuff into my backpack that I take on planes. My 2DS, 3DS and Vita cases all fit in the front pocket of my backpack. That Switch case takes up about 3x the room. Also, kids usually have smaller backpacks and 1/2 of it would be dedicated to a Switch vs a smaller portion for a 2DS/3DS. That may be a smaller portion of the market for handhelds than I am thinking it is and so the Switch may take over. Just something that makes me doubt it taking over the handheld market.

Maybe I am also secretly hoping for that Switch mini concept to become the revived Gameboy line.

• Locked thread