Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Tender Bender posted:

Holy gently caress in five years we had Ocarina, Majora, and Windwaker. In the 13 years after that we had Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Although for handhelds Link Between Worlds is great and I'd listen to an argument in favor of it for best Zelda game.

the best zelda games are links awakening, linkt o the past and twilight princess also twilight princess is the only good 3d zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Calaveron posted:

Is it just me or do the ZR and ZL buttons on the joycons feel awfully squishy
Maybe Nintendo snuck in analog triggers for the inevitable gamecube virtual console

theyre perfect actually and youre a loving idiot for thinking otherwise

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

VideoGames posted:

Do not begin this. Darkness leads this way. I'm giving you a friendly warning, Stux.

Calaveron posted:

Friend
I will end you

oh but death threats are ok i guess? wow

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

My dude, you posted this like nearly two weeks ago and no one called you out on it. But how in the heck did you get a Wii U, discover all sorts of great Nintendo games both new and old, and yet nearly entirely miss the Zelda series?

probably because the wii u only just got a zelda game, my friend

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Spellman posted:

I'm guessing they want to evolve the Switch's interface beyond All Your Games Listed Horizontally In One Line before they dump entire libraries of VC games onto the store

whats wrong with it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

tap my mountain posted:

Windjammers please

sony exclusive

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Is Madden even a successful franchise anymore? It feels like it's been supplanted by other sportsball series. I'm

it sells like 5-6 million units per year friend

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Healbot posted:

Oh wow a 40% difference, lemme just move these goalposts.

please dont pretend an mp fps launching with 5 maps is acceptable

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You can laugh, but he's right.

Shooters have been tedious bores since CoD3. I actually had fun playing Splatoon. Remember fun? That thing games used to be before it was all about dead-eyed energy drink addled twitching so you could grind away for months to unlock a gold skin for your character's hat brim?

do you even play fps games or is it you dont like them so they arent fun, because shooters are def still fun, thats why people buy lots of copies of them and why there are a bunch of different ones all doing really well right now lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

chaleski posted:

It looks like Splatoon dropped with five maps, then got another map a whopping whole four days later, then two more nine days later...

I've never played Splatoon but getting a steady trickle of maps every 10 days or so and ending with about sixteen maps overall sounds more than reasonable

naw its still really silly an fps came out with only 5 maps at launch sorry

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
you can admit its dumb to launch a mp fps with 5 maps while still really liking the game, its ok, you dont have to defend absolutely everything about the things you like

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

chaleski posted:

If it was your typical shooter with a season pass and paid DLCS spread several months apart I would completely agree with you

why, cod games launch with like 13 maps or something, and ow does the free content thing as well. it just isnt v good to launch with so little sorry

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Stux.

Splatoon was fun at launch. Deal with it.

i didnt say it wasnt

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

BF1 was neat because it was WW1 (lol @ machine guns everywhere). And CoD3 was neat because it was something sorta new-ish at the time. But all 14 CoD games and all 10 BF games are, shockingly, just the exact same thing every year with a new skin.

ok so you havnt played them then lol

also the genre is much wider than cod and bf, weird you would only pick them?

edit: also i think you meant cod4

Stux fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 20, 2017

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

What Splatoon should have done was charged $60 for the game, $120 for the special edition, $60 for the season pass, $60 each for the weapon upgrade tokens, and $50 for yellow tinted hunting sunglasses.

I'm hooting mad at the squid kids for not doing this.

this is a real tenuous point to make when nintendo absolutely isnt above dlc etc. its an industry wide thing.

also for the $60 game you get a full game with three full modes and lots of maps. not going to defend map dlc but to claim that cods base version is a rip off is absolutely ridiculous, nevermind that your point is still very laser focused on a couple of titles from a large genre

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

it absolutely is, sorry, its ridiculous. its good that the sequel is at least upping the on release map number as far as we know so far. or would you rather they cut it back down to five seeing as that was "fine"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

CharlestheHammer posted:

For the most part Nintendo is actually pretty good about DLC because they still haven't quite figured out how the internet works.

difficult to say that given the state of botw's season pass honestly, never mind the amiibo stuff

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

This whole debate is silly because Splatoon launching with as much content as it did was more about Nintendo curating the content over time and doing a steady roll out as to build up experience in a playerbase that typically didn't play shooters.

You can call that a very silly and dumb approach if you want, but it's got very different motivations behind it than the roll out of maps and updates that other people do. I'm not saying it was special or brilliant either. Nintendo was trying to do something different with this game and it paid off for them, especially in Japan which isn't very disposed to this genre anyway.

overwatch did the exact same model yet managed to launch with a lot more content. you can try and make excuses for it but really its bizarre to defend releasing something for $60 with so little content. im not even saying the game is bad or anything! but 5 maps on launch is staggering and if any other company did that they would be rightly slaughtered for it. imagine the backlash if cod came out with 5 maps regardless of promising free content?

edit: ^ what old chestnut?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Modus Pwnens posted:

As long as they come and are free, I really would prefer it that way.

can you defend why you would rather a game release with less content? this is a weird thing to say

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

CharlestheHammer posted:

If they gave you a time table and stuck with it people would be called entitled shits.

And to be fair they would be right.

no, i think if call of duty released with 5 multiplayer maps they would be raked over the coals for it. look at how much poo poo the original titanfall got for its lack of content

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Modus Pwnens posted:

It was a manageable number of maps to learn at once, and it was fun having something new to learn at the same time as everyone else every update.

this is nonsensical. this has never been an issue before in games even when theyve done something new, why is it an issue now?

TFRazorsaw posted:

No, it's not like Overwatch at all. Splatoon's roll out of content was in a very quick and limited degree of time, while Overwatch's is almost quarterly and spaced out over much larger periods of time. Splatoon's updates were all largely ready and were drip fed out over a short period of time to essentially teach the audience how to play it and get used to the various maps and weapons instead of throwing it out all at once. This is because their audience was a group of people who don't typically play shooters.

You can disagree with it all you want, but at least understand the circumstances and the reasoning for why it occurred.

And the "old chestnut" is the severe overreaction to the season pass simply existing. Nintendo has always offered a decent amount of content for their paid DLC and there's nothing to indicate that this won't be the case again.

saying that the content was in fact ready but still missing when it came out makes it worse, not better. i understand the circumstances and reasoning given, but theyre comical and not based in any kind of reality. why are people suddenly idiots who cant cope with more than 5 maps for an FPS?

the season pass is fine, i dont care if people do them, but the content consists of things that came with older zelda games, an in game t shirt and some chests. if you're fine with spending $20 for that knock yourself out, but its not exactly a great sign of things to come is it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Modus Pwnens posted:

Like I know you're Stux or whatever but you keep saying "on release" as if that's some sacred moment, rather than the experience of playing it week by week. It's not.

on release is generally a very important moment in a games lifespan, yes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I never told you that you had to find them to be good reasons. The problem is you keep comparing them to content that's priced, or updates that come out over long periods of time and funded by in game microtransactions. That's erroneous.

It's less about people being "idiots" and more about introducing an audience of children and Japanese people to a game style they're not familiar with.

no, i also compared them to what comes out in the base content of any other fps. i mean compare it to anything really, its less than what you get by default in the rest of the genre.

that still makes no sense, its less content than the very first multiplayer fps games had! if anything that wouldve been the time you could make that argument. also its completely erronous, kids play fps games, and cod/battlefield also sell well in japan. its not some mysterious alien genre any more than jrpgs are here.

quote:

The content consists of things that are typically added to Zelda games in remakes. I can't think of a single non-spinoff game that has ever added a new story scenario to a base game, either. So... no, not really what you're saying at all.

zelda 1

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not just it being a shooter; it's very mechanically different and appealing to people who don't play shooters. They were up front about this from the start; the idea of the game's launch being a seasonal thing that would escalate was part of how they sold the game. The "base content" was a spread out, timed experience.

Released decades ago, not really a story mode, and basically amounted to rearranging the drat tilesets. You sure showed me.

i have played the game, it really isnt, its a shooter with a gimmick. its still a shooter!! and again, even if you're trying to get people who dont play that genre, you dont have to do weird stuff like limit the maps! how does that actually help, unless they are also people who just dont play video games at all?

whatever their reasoning or however upfront they were doesnt matter, its still a ridiculous decision and it seems like they agree with there being more maps announced for the sequels launch than they had for the first game, so why even try and argue that it was anything other than a mis-step?

Rexroom posted:

First multiplayer FPS games just reused the single player maps, most of which were poo poo for multiplayer. Those days are long gone, nowadays developers have to make maps specifically tuned for multiplayer. Quality over quantity and so on.

I hope you have hard facts to back your claim about western FPS games selling well in Japan, because that's not what I've been hearing.

yeah and guess what, people still got on fine even though the whole concept of the genre, let alone a multiplayer version, was extremely new and different to everything before it. really weird

just watch the japanese sale charts around the release of any major fps, here was 2016s:

thats two days worth of sales and on an installment which sold less overall than the one before, including in japan. splatoon definitely broke out further but acting like western fps or western games in general dont exist in japan in 2017 is bizarre.

Stux fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 20, 2017

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
personally, and this may be an extreme opinion, i think maybe the wrist straps just shouldnt physically be able to be put on the way round which damages them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
does fast rmx have weapons?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

unimportantguy posted:

I would commit multiple horrible acts of violence to play SD3 in English on Switch. Who do I have to disembowel first?

what?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Mahoning posted:

Other than a few people who have gotten scratches or whatever, I don't know how people complain about the dock. I've heard how it's cheap and light and too plastic-y....what? I mean I set mine up on March 3rd and it hasn't moved a centimeter from where I set it up. I've popped the Switch in and out of it probably a hundred times already. Are people like picking the dock up and.....playing with it or something?

It seems like a perfectly functional piece of hardware. I've never even had trouble docking it, which prior to release I was almost positive that it would take a bit of wiggling back and forth to get it perfectly right, but I was wrong. It just......works.

its probably because the docks for the 3ds's and the wii u pad somehow all solved the screen scratching problem which got unsolved for the switch. they also used pins instead of a port! its a shame things stepped backwards from such heady days

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

the charging dock for the 3DS has nothing to do with the screen scratching problem that comes from closing it. Like, why would it? You close the clamshell and set in the charger and that's it. It doesn't even tough the screen, which is still in danger of being scuffed by the top one to this day.

thats not what i meant, i meant that a 3ds or wii u style cradle for the switch would have 0 chance of ever scratching the screen, because they dont have the weird bits covering the whole device. another plus wouldve been letting the device elegantly charge while in a tabletop mode as the screen would be visible which you can do with the wii u gamepad in its dock. its strange they didnt just do that again and instead introduced an issue that never needed to exist.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Wii U gamepad's charging cradle does a very poor job of holding the thing securely. It's absolutely the last thing that they should have emulated.

As for the 3DS one, it would have left it vulnerable to things falling on top of it.

you can improve that without covering the screen and the entire device and being able to use the tabletop mode while charging while also eliminating the scratched screen issue 100% would be worth it. in fact theres really 0 reason not to have done that, its just a better solution from every possible angle

also the reason for the wii u being not entirely secure (never really noticed but we'll go with it) is it uses pins. if you kept the port as it works now instead of using pins that would fix the secure problem entirely

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

You can achieve the same goal as using the table top mode while charging using the AC adapter included in the package.

The only thing you lose is dual screen play on a home device, which the public pretty much told them they didn't want anyway. And honestly, playing with the console while it sits in the dock sounds pretty drat awkward.

it would be literally the kickstand mode except it can actually charge while you use it and would be more secure than the kickstand how is that not a positive lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

pixaal posted:

Every piece of the game is hand touched, I don't think Nintendo is going to be making another open world game like this. It must have cost a fortune, have you looked at how long the credits are? Most open world games use procedural generation or copy pasting of areas. The Shrine puzzles alone could be a $50 puzzle game.

I hope they do, but it's going to have to sell a ton of copies to make it worth making another open world game of this scope and polish again.

looks like someone never played a ubisoft game through to the credits

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Tender Bender posted:

It encourages you to try different weapons, and also lets the game throw enemies at you wielding really strong weapons, which you can then get, without then just saying "well no reason to pick up another weapon for twenty hours".

agreed, its bad to let your players just use things they enjoy and have fun with

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Tender Bender posted:

Counterpoint: restrictions within reason are what make games engaging.

thats not a counterpoint at all. why cant the player choose themselves to use weapons they enjoy instead of being forced to switch around? other games trust that people will probably just try out new stuff out of being curious and then let them use the things they enjoy. i think thats a good system.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Lemming posted:

People will as a general rule do whatever's most effective, not whatever's most fun for them. If there was no weapon durability, and nothing else changed, I could throw away the weapons after I use them a bit myself, but I wouldn't, and I would have less fun as a result since I'd never switch weapons again.

what? youre saying you would do something less fun on purpose knowing youd have less fun? that isnt what most people do sorry, in games like dark souls where you get a bunch of fun and interesting weapons and armor, people play the game like a dress up sim despite the high difficulty seemingly "rewarding" min/max play. its just not an issue and trying to rationalise an unfun and limiting design choice this way is bizarre

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
also nintendo has confirmed launch joycons have an engineering flaw, probably worth sending any in for repair even if you are not currently having issues:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/report-nintendo-is-fixing-disconnecting-joy-cons-with-conductive-foam/

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bill Barber posted:

lmfao it doesn't say that at all. Classic Stux.

"Nintendo is offering a similar fix to users who call in to its support line, and the company may be selling redesigned, fixed controllers at stores right now."

Lemming posted:

There's obviously a continuum but if a tactic is sufficiently more effective, you're going to use it even if it's less fun.

no, im not, im going to do whats fun because i play games to have fun? again with games like the souls games which are a lot more challenging than zelda, people genuinely use whatever they find most fun rather than min max builds, because games are about having fun. if you personally find yourself only doing min/max stuff in games and stifling your own fun maybe you should try making a conscious effort not to rather than assuming everyone needs some weird system forced on them to do so

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
i think its safe to say that if you bought a launch switch and have even the slightest suspicion that your left joycon may be faulty its worth sending it in to be fixed now while the offer is open rather than leaving it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bill Barber posted:

A guy bought 2 joycons and one of them had a slightly different labeled circuit board.

"Over at CNET, writer Sean Hollister recounts his experience with Nintendo customer service, which he calls "just about the best electronics customer service I've ever experienced." After getting a free overnight shipping label for his controller after a weekend call, Hollister received his controller back in the mail just five days after sending it.

Opening up the fixed controller showed that Nintendo didn't have to do much to correct the connection issue. The only apparent difference is a small piece of black foam sitting on top of the corner of the controller board that houses the Bluetooth antenna trace.

Hollister and his colleagues at TechRepublic presume that this is a piece of metal-coated conductive foam, designed to lessen interference from outside sources (including the big metal joystick housing that sits right next to the antenna on the left Joy-Con). Hollister says the controller stops working when the foam is removed, suggesting the tiny fix is all that was really needed."

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Lemming posted:

I'm talking about the average player. Obviously there are individuals who do whatever they want, but to bring the example back to Zelda, you could make some of the easier games like Twilight Princess more difficult by never getting any more heart containers, and for sure less than 1% of players ever did that. Saying "you could just do x or y to have more fun!" is fundamentally misunderstanding the way that video games work.

the average player is a normal human who will naturally try out new weapons etc that they pick up out of curiosity and pick which ones to use based on what they personally feel works best rather than statistical based min maxing. min maxing is not what average players do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bill Barber posted:

Nintendo hasn't confirmed any sort of engineering flaw, which is what you initially stated when posting the link.

repairing malfunctioning units is an admission

parallelodad posted:

There is no open offer. They replace hardware if it doesn't work, as has always been the case.

yes, and many people have a faulty left joycon. if you think yours is faulty its worth sending it in to be fixed now even if its only been a minor complaint. do you have some issue with people getting broken hardware replaced or something? i dont really understand your issue with nintendo fixing broken joycons

• Locked thread