Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm so loving jacked for my Zelda machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Trip report:

Both Best Buy and GameStop told me they only sold BotW Special Editions as preorders. So a reminder that Target will have a very limited amount tomorrow morning when they open. You could also try Toys R Us. WalMart tonight at midnight might also be a possibility.

Other than that, you and by you I mean ME are hosed.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

eonwe posted:

im getting one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Like 95% of all the poo poo I've ever ordered from Amazon has been delivered through USPS. I'm pretty sure that's their primary shipping partner.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TG-Chrono posted:

Ducked down this morning in Aus cause I was tempted to maybe get one. Saw the prices and loving laffo

$500 for a Zelda machine. Good loving luck.

Sorry that you're poor and you hate fun. There's a game called Candy Crush that seems more up your alley. :smug:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Honest question, how long does it take to download the day 1 patch for the console and Zelda? I just want to get into this ASAP and decides if I sleep tonight or not

Also got an email from my gamestop saying they wouldn't do a midnight release but when I called they said they totally would so who should I believe

It downloads in the background. Play Zelda ASAP.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
A reminder that Toys R Us is selling them when they open today as well. The Toys R Us near me opens a full 2 hours after Target so it might be worth it to try your Target and then head to Toys R Us if you strike out.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So my sister was due to have a baby last Sunday. So as the week wore on and still no baby I began joking that my bundle of joy was going to be delivered before her's. Last night I texted her my shipping info and said looks like I'm gonna win this or something really dumb like that. So of course her water breaks at 3am this morning which means after work instead of setting up my Switch at home, I'll be going to the hospital. That's what I get for talking poo poo.

But then after I thought of that I remembered that I could just play my Switch in handheld mode at the hospital. :smug:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Trip report:

My awesome (and pregnant) wife, who I don't deserve, and who happens to be off Fridays, agreed to go to Target when they opened and try to snag me a BotW Special Edition. She said they had a ton and they had a ton of Switches with virtually nobody getting them. Success.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm constantly checking my phone, not sure what's gonna be delivered first, my niece or my Switch. This might come down to the wire.....

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not buying that the JoyCon issue is resolved or has even been addressed until Nintendo actually releases a statement. I knew this day 1 patch was unlikely to fix it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Haven't posted in this thread since Friday morning, too busy playing my Switch. :smug:

My verdict is: hardware wise they didn't knock it out of the park. There are some things I don't like about it physically. But when it comes to the core idea of the Switch (its versatility) I believe they did, in fact knock it out of the park. My aha moment was exactly what I thought it would be: playing Zelda Friday night and having to take a dump. Took that baby right out of the dock and kept right on playing. It was everything I dreamed it would be.

I've tried to go so many places in Zelda and I still feel like I'm barely like 5% into the game. The story is so engrossing though, I don't even know how it ends but so far I'd say this is by far the best storyline in a Zelda game. A very epic story to match an epic game. Also, I've died. A LOT.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I'll say the Switch has one of the simplest, cleanest, and fastest UI's I've ever seen. It's something you'd expect out of Apple when they're at their best.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I've been playing Zelda for 3 days and haven't even nearly reached a dungeon yet, so yeah... I don't understand what you mean by "after Zelda".

Yeah I have played nearly every free minute I've had in the past 3 days and I still feel woefully unprepared to even encounter a one of those "dungeons". The Guardians just gently caress my poo poo up almost instantly, I feel like I need a lot more weapons/defense/experience/food/elixers/etc. Basically I'm a pussy and hate fighting anything remotely dangerous until I'm prepared.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

anatomi posted:

I don't understand why 1-2 Switch isn't a pack-in title. It must've been conceived as one, right? What happened? Strange.

My guess is, console costs were too high for them to pack it in and still make money/break even. With the lack of games right now for the Switch, Nintendo can't really afford to be losing money on each console. Especially after the Wii U's pitiful sales numbers.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

IMO it has to be because Wii Sports was a huge success and it wasn't a pack in in some countries (like Japan) that they probably got greedy and thought they can catch lightning in a bottle again. Even though they literally hosed this up when they launched the Wii U and Nintendoland wasn't a pack in either.

By all accounts the Nintendo Switch launch was very successful. It has one of the highest rated games of all time in a very successful well-known series as a launch title, it doesn't really need a pack-in. Word of mouth and buzz about the Switch is pretty overwhelmingly positive at the moment despite a few glaring hardware issues. Seems like they knew what they were doing.

What does kinda boggle my mind though is the lack of a built-in 1-2 Switch demo at the very least, with like 3 of the mini games or something.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Saturday I ran in to Target to grab something and decided to detour over to the electronics section to see what the Switch display looked like. Now, my wife had been in there Friday morning and she said there were a shitton of Switches AND BotW Special Editions. So I was expecting a decent display and it was like a freaking deserted ghost town. The accessory rack was essentially empty save a few car chargers, screen protectors, and some random Wii U accessories thrown in for good measure. I was kind of surprised. It doesn't help that the Switch display (gondola, if you will) is TINY since it was just the Wii U display repurposed and I don't blame Target for dedicated the least amount of retail floor space to it as possible. Methinks they may need to do some rearranging in the near future though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So my expected use-case #1 happened Friday night as I had to poop while playing Zelda. My expected use case #2 should be tonight as I will be playing on the TV but at 8 oclock my wife will want to watch the Bachelor and I'll just pop that baby out of the dock and keep right on playing. I might try table top mode + Pro Controller since I haven't actually tried that yet. But for a game like Zelda I think you need to have that small of a screen kind of close to your face so we'll see.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

acksplode posted:

It's so good it makes up for Twilight Princess too. It's a loving revelation. I played about 15-17 hours this weekend and they flew by like nothing. I'm almost literally going to live inside Hyrule for the next week or two.

I honestly can't think of a single criticism of the recent home console Zelda's that wasn't addressed in Breath of the Wild. The hand holding, the (lack of) difficulty, the paint by numbers formula (dungeons, items, etc.), the restricted world, it has all been addressed to a huge degree.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Decius posted:

Like every game did before 2008 or so. The innovation isn't really that big. Personally I find it just more busywork to actually find what I'm supposed to find. Yes, I like the icons on my map telling me what happens where. I had the not telling you what happens were for 20 years before modern GTA-style Open World games, it's not exactly mind blowing.

20 years? Geez, with that opinion I had you pegged for like a 16 year old maybe.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also, if the Zelda fans who have been playing Breath of the Wild seem a little on-edge or cranky, give us a break, we've been losing sleep playing and thinking about this amazing game. :smug:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I'll be playing Zelda till I'm an old man and I still probably wouldn't have reached a dungeon.

I think my Link is going to abandon his quest to save Hyrule and is instead going to open a food truck in that beach town.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

I can't believe that in the year 2017, tribal console warriors are still going strong on their insane hate of whichever brand they don't identify with. I've never had a console at launch before the Switch and it's really... strange to see reactions.

Can you really not believe that or is it just like every other group of human beings that are loyal to something (smartphones, sports teams, actual sports, politics, music genre, music artist, etc.)? :rolleyes:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Utnayan posted:

I disagree. I think this is worse than the Wii U.

Simply believing something to be so, does not in fact make it so, Mr. President.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Utnayan posted:

I do not work in retail but I am sure they are trying to capitalize trying to get people in the store, and like the poster said, buy something else while they are there.

Pretty retarded in this day and age.

Don't sign your posts.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Does the pro controller charge with usb-c as well?

Yes, and it comes with like a 3.5-4 ft USB-A to C cable in the box.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Weird, my profile just says "first played four days ago" and doesn't list the time.

I imagine it probably says that for the first few days until it has a number big enough for you to brag about online for the system to recognize.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just some anecdotal evidence on the Pro Controller: I've played probably 20-25 hours of Zelda the last 3 days and haven't charged the Pro once in that period. Battery is still showing like 75% full. Maybe 3 of those hours were played in handheld mode but still, the Pro Controller does appear so far to have insanely good battery life.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just wanna say that even if they never release another game for the Switch, the investment was totally worth it just to play Breath of the Wild.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Read into this as much as you want.

I'm choosing to read into it that the Switch port is a last minute thing that they are spending extra money to port over quickly in time to launch it simultaneously on all platforms.

There's enough reports of the Switch being easy to develop for and the developer kit being super cheap compared to other consoles that I can't really think of another good reason for the price difference beyond having to rush it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
"I can't wait for a company that never discounts their first party software titles to release their games through a channel which I only buy super discounted games from that I proceed to buy and then never, ever play."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

what?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Wheany posted:

, a game also available on Wii U

(a console which I ALSO didn't own and would have had to buy, but used.)

I totally should've bought that Fisher Price dead console to play one game instead of the brand new one that I can play wherever the gently caress I want.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Tbqh if you haven't owned a WiiU at all I would recommend

Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U (really more New Super Luigi U which has some great rear end levels and is not a cakewalk)
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Pikmin 3
Super Mario Maker (if your not a fan of random levels without themed worlds then probably stay away)
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101

They'll probably release most of those as ports on the Switch so more than a few dozen people have the chance to play them :ssh:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

"These system sellers that failed to sell systems will surely sell the new system!"

Sometimes, a console is so bad that even amazing games won't get people to buy them.

I do find it funny however how Wii U owners continue to gush over it and try to convince people to buy it. It's like they are trying to convince themselves that they made a good purchase. I have no doubt that those Wii U games were, in fact, really good. But c'mon. Just admit you bought a lovely dumb gimmick console.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Wheany posted:

It's just a more powerful portable console, it doesn't change the game any more than any other new generation of consoles.

On a technical level, no. But we don't consume games technically, we consume them experientially. I don't have any more fun playing a game because the console has more teraflops or something. I do if I can easily play it with friends and family.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just found another benefit to the Switch. We had like 50 mph winds here today and after work I was playing BotW and the power went out. I just grabbed it right out of the dock and kept playing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Did the switch pause in power out scenario? I doubt it but that would be cool

When I picked it up out of the dock it was locked. I had to hit the same button 3 times. So yeah, it paused.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hamshot posted:

If only it were in black and white, it'd be straight out of an infomercial.

To anyone who owns a switch: have you had buyers remorse at all?

I'm having a little buyer's remorse that I bought any other games besides Breath of the Wild. My poor, poor Snipperclips has been played for all of mayyyyybe 40 minutes compared to like 40 hours of BotW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Zelda is incredibly hard, but the save system is forgiving.

Usually, you fall off of a cliff in a Zelda game, you get teleported back to where you fell off and you lost a heart. This game? You "die" but it just put you back right where you left off with all your health and items restored to how they were before. It punishes little mistakes, but I don't feel afraid to get in over my head because worst case scenario is that I go back to before the battle with all my used items and broken gear restored.

The bolded bit is still true in the Shrines and the "dungeons". I fell off the Elephant's trunk several times and it just popped me back in there minus one heart.

• Locked thread