Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i've had switch for about 4 hours. my thoughts on hardware (games come in mail tomorrow)

handheld mode is the most comfy nintendo handheld in years. good job

joycons loose feel like tiny crap. the straps go on but are a huge pain to get off - i won't be putting them back on ever

joycons as dual individual controllers feel especially bad

joycon grip is useless. too small and no room underneath for fingers.

powercord's wallwart is about 2x the size of the ds one and the cord is much much shorter.

the dock isn't as embarrassing looking as i thought it would be. its very small. its super cheaply made crap though and docking the console feels bad.

the update process takes 2 mintues.

the menus are really nice.

kickstand is ok. it only fails if you push on the very top left of the screen

play it in handheld mode unless you have a pro controller. don't expect to play while charging unless you want to sit within 2 and half feet of the plug or carry an extension cord.

tldr: its a nice handheld. i could have done without all off the console features - none of them impress me.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just did the controller sync test. at over 6 feet its ok but spotty when obstructed. beyond 10 its rough and becomes unusable when obstructed

pro controller up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i beat the snipper clip demo solo since i'm the only one awake right now. it was ok. i don't think its a particularly good game to own without a crew to play it with but i can see it being good for a couple plays with the right people and some drinks. the faces are very cute so thats a plus.

not really interested in getting the full version. the joycons feel like total rear end to use individually so a short tech demo to show my wife and whoever comes by is all i'm gonna use it for.

also i play the demo at 75% screen brightness, low volume, wifi on and it ate 10% of my battery in about 10 minutes

they probably should have gone with a 480p screen guys.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

krursk posted:

I've been playing Metal Slug 3 for the past 30 minutes.

does it have the slow down a lot of ports of ms games have or is it smooth

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

krursk posted:

I've been playing Metal Slug 3 for the past 30 minutes.

what region are you in? the neo geo games don't seem to be available in NA

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

iajanus posted:

You can get it in AU/NZ

loving australia, first they get trees full of giant bat swarms now they get neo geo ports. bastards

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i will probably buy blaster master if its like 10 bux cause i love the original and was just saying, boy i wish they made more of these games, like a month ago

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thexerox123 posted:

I'm curious, does Snipperclips have a single player mode, and how does it work?

Yes you move each one one at a time and they freeze when you switch

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Docked mode is probably hosed unless they start dialing back on cpu requirements in their games. Per digital foundry:

This is only a theory, but it does make sense based on the data available. Laying out the maths here, docking increases pixel count from 720p to 900p, a 56 per cent in resolution. However, memory bandwidth only rises by 20 per cent, from 1331MHz to 1600MHz. Bandwidth is shared between CPU and GPU, so the higher resolution in the home console mode may be sapping memory bandwidth away from the main processor cores, making us more prone to slowdown when the CPU is under load. Bandwidth concerns may also explain why resolution doesn't scale closer in line with the difference in clock-speeds (307.2MHz or 384MHz undocked, 768MHz docked). Suffice to say, if you're looking to play Breath of the Wild with minimal performance drops, running undocked is the way forward.

This is a big problem

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Can you get TV mode to output 720p? Unless that looks like crap on your huge flatscreen that might be better.

It still renders the game at 900 before downscaling, its not like a pc resolution slider

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Also speaking of looking bad on tv, the system ui is capped at 720 p in docked mode and looks so loving blurry.

They borked the hybrid design of this thing so badly

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

Ooooooor 720P doesn't use the full memory bandwidth even at 1333mhz. This is kinda stretching it honestly. RAM doesn't use a lot of power there's just not a lot of reason to really downclock it when the screen & CPU/GPU are going to be like 80% of the power usage while mobile given what I know of it's max watts vs how much such things typically use.

Edit: I'd want to hear this out of someone actually programing on the thing not some barely a nerd who can look at numbers and just start panicing.

Digital foundry arent barely nerds they are all the way nerds and if they publish a theory you should take it seriously until proven otherwise because they do their hw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Right but that isn't uncommon to games at release like this (see rocket league), the matchmaking and game joining will improve.

Rocket league had lobbies and infrastructure for normal online play it just got overrun and exposed as bugged at launch . Frmx sound like they launched with nothing but quickplay even built.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

They said it themselves in the article: Dock & mobile have different rendering setups and ok the dock one is suffering in place when the other isn't. I believe that sure. WHY it's happening is complete guess work and my knowledge of such things makes me go "eeeeeh"

But hey I expect this thing to have some quirks cause it's an overtuned mobile chip I can plug into my TV also. Long as it works I'm not going to care about 22FPS vs 30FPS. Hell soon as I actually get mine I'm SO not going to care cause I"ll be trying to have fun not stressing some dropped frames. Yeah it's annoying but if I don't want dropped frames I have a PC.

Oh where do i put the game cart in my pc to play zelda?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

The same place I can plug in my desktop in on the train.

How do you keep talking out your rear end with a psu plugged into it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

How do the joycons feel in the joycon grip thing? When I do get one of these I'm going to get a Pro Controller, probably, but I'm curious how the included grip feels.

Bad imo. Theres no room underneath for your fingers and the grip wings are too short.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Inverness posted:

That shouldn't be the case. The dock has padding on the edges so the screen never touches the dock itself.

Only at the bottom from what i saw during set up. That said, plastic shouldnt be hard enough to scratch the glass unless they really hosed up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grimes posted:

Careful sliding the switch in the dock, I guess, or get a screen protector. Why did they make the screen plastic?

Thats the bezel not the screen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Why does the docked switch steal my tvs focus from my cable box and ps4 every few minutes when its in rest mode? Just watching a show and it keeps flipping to the switch input to look at a black screen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Switch keeps stealing the focus from other devices while in sleep mode on Samsung tvs

Very annoying.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the dock should have just been two cords

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

Oh, and I didn't really like the look of the Pro going into the weekend but holy poo poo if this isn't one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. Going to replace my 360 pad on my PC with one of these. If you're on the fence, get it.

its great for switch absolutely but no analog triggers make it a major bummer for pc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

Maybe they meant off a different charger.

must be
when off the dock i've been pluggin switch into my pro controller's power cable that i have plugged into an old usb plug in the wall and it makes it drain slower but it still drains.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Loopoo posted:

I watched two-hours worth of a TV show and a movie on Netflix whilst my Switch was docked in sleep mode. Not once did it steal focus. You sure you didn't accidentally press the home button on the Joycon to start it up?

There are 20 pages of complaints on both nintendo and samsungs forums about it so yeah im sure, thanks for checking if im stupid though

Its 2016 tvs that have a feature called autofocus that the switch's output while in rest mode can trigger. Some people that use pcs on their tvs have the same thing happen but switch is the only console so far.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

http://gonintendo.com/stories/275522-switch-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-set-sales-records-for-nintendo

So Reggie gave some info on the sales of the Switch and Zelda in the US and here's what we've got:

- Switch beat out first two day sales of any other Nintendo home console. For perspective, the Wii sold over 600,000 units in its first eight days.
-Zelda was the best selling launch title of any Nintendo console

People are already trying to spin this as negative. I can understand being critical of Nintendo's decisions and the end results of them but the continued desire some of wanting to see them fail and turn anything that looks like a success into a negative is kind of overwhelming sometimes. Obviously there's still a lot the new console has to prove, but I can't see how this news is anywhere near a BAD thing for them.

who cares what people say (besides you)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm playing both at once they are both different and good and shouldn't be compared unless you're trying to hate

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anidav posted:

Did Reggie imply that the Switch is outselling the Wii within a two day timeframe at launch?

Isn't that impressive?

Not if they made more in the first batch. Wait a month before burying or deifying the console

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mdemone posted:

Okay goddamnit. I know BOTW is good.

But the acid test: is it better than Ocarina?

The memory of ocarina and its innovation or the reality of playing it now?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mdemone posted:

The former, for sure. Because that was the best they could do at the time.

The reality of playing OOT now isn't fair to it; our expectations have understandably taken leaps and bounds in the 20 years since. My question could be put better: "Is playing BOTW in 2017 better than playing OOT was in 1998?"

ocarina was more impressive in terms of doing what hadn't been done.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it has an all new single player campaign

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

I'm really curious if Splatoon 2 keeps up the momentum or if it was a one-time phenomenon. Like is the market for a casual fresh shooter the same as it was two years ago?

Monthly fee will make it a lot less kid friendly but who knows

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There's pictures, yeah. I wasn't too enthused about the rails that make contact with the screen is just naked plastic. I wouldn't be fussed about it if the Switch's screen was glass, but alas, they opted once again for plastic.

People found out that it is a bent front on the dock doing it so look at how straight or curved yours is to see if it will scratch. Bad qa on cheap crap plastic.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the ac adaptor won't get damaged in your backpack loose like the switch will

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if your cart slot stops reading games, repeatedly plugging in headphones can spark it back to life somehow since they seem to share the same failure prone part of the pcb.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

I brought my switch to work yesterday and holy gently caress it feels baller as hell to walk into my living room, dock the switch, pick up my pro controller, lay down on the couch and continue playing from where I was on my lunch break.

The way the sleep mode works is probably my favorite bit. I just turn it on and I'm in the game right where I was in a matter of seconds. It's so good.

It drains pretty fast in sleep which is a bit dissappointing. Vita lasted weeks. I wouldnt leave switch out of the charger for a day or two and expect to have enough battery left for a new session

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mahoning posted:

I'm choosing to read into it that the Switch port is a last minute thing that they are spending extra money to port over quickly in time to launch it simultaneously on all platforms.

There's enough reports of the Switch being easy to develop for and the developer kit being super cheap compared to other consoles that I can't really think of another good reason for the price difference beyond having to rush it.

Its probably nintendo charging a higher licensing fee. All that other stuff shouldnt matter. Ps3 was the devil for devs and the games were same price

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

All I can think about lately is "why am I not playing Zelda right this second"

It's a good feeling to have

Youre probably playing it right, maybe try again when the rain stops so you dont slide down

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beastie posted:

I hate when the Blood Moon comes and those stories sound frustrating but I guess the developers succeeded in making us fear a game mechanic.

It happens when im doing something important and its the worst to get the cutscene when im climbing or fighting. Lots about the game feels like a first try that needs improvement to not be annoying.

What a horrible bloodmoon to have a curse

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eonwe posted:

hey guys blaster master zero tomorrow

live it love it

be the blaster master

Not until it supports pro controller

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eonwe posted:

you can be a blaster master without the pro controller if you truly believe

its not called blaster apprentice

i gotta go pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

The Switch is not a home console that you can take on the go.

It's a mobile console that you can dock into your TV.

It's the single best mobile console ever made and hyperbolic doomsaying gets us nowhere.

Nomad was better.

• Locked thread