Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

OP needs some love for NINDIES like Overcooked, Wargroove, etc. Couch multiplayer console boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Amazon for me because of origin based sales tax. I live in Chicago, so I pay 6% on Amazon rather than 10+% from buying in the city or surrounding suburbs. For me, I saved $16.72 in sales tax + $12.48 on Zelda because of the 20% off. So $29.20 purely from buying from Amazon and getting it SOMETIME within the day, while I'm working anyway.

Plus... I'm sitting on a ton of Amazon Gift Cards, so it was practically free.

Yeah at this point between my Amazon rewards card and the Prime pre order bonus, I can't remember the last time I got a game not there.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tempted to sell my Sheikah case and buy the city slicker. Feel like as cool as the zelda case is, its something I would feel weird whipping out on an plane/train/automobile.

I think I've gotten 20 hours into Zelda this weekend. And it doesn't feel like. And I'm still overwhelmed by choosing what to do. And I literally haven't traveled West in any capacity yet. Like, on my way to the non-beast related story marker early on I saw an interesting looking pond and went to check it out, which led to a ridge, which led to a canyon, which led to a jungle, which led to a road, which led to a town, which led to a beach, which led to a boat, which led to an island, which took a while to clear and oh god did I just take a 6 hour detour?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm staying out of the Zelda thread for spoiler, but does anyone know how frequently you can scan in amiibo? I feel like while the Link, Rider, Zelda, and Bokoglin giving solid weapons will do some interesting things for speed runs, if the Guardian amiibo really does give arrows and cores, I feel like that is a potentially degenerate way to farm those items that are otherwise fairly difficult to come across or how having a single ancient arrow helps speed runners with being able to take out a Guardian on their route.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Once a day

Danke. So not enough to replace farming, but if you're ging to take a month or two to get through this it will add up and help over time.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

jivjov posted:

You can scan in each amiibo once a day. So if you're like me, and have all the figurines and all the cards, you can easily scan in over 500 things a day.

Dont the non-BOTW amiibo just give you basic food/rupees?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Oh, and I didn't really like the look of the Pro going into the weekend but holy poo poo if this isn't one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. Going to replace my 360 pad on my PC with one of these. If you're on the fence, get it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I probably put in over 20 hours of Zelda over the weekend and am trying to find a way to take a half day today. Goddamn. Both dungeons I've done so far have been cool, and two shrines in particular stood out to me, will spoiler their locations as they're both very very worth going out of your way for:
From the fishing town in the far southeast, steal a boat and paddle out to the island in the very far southeast corner of the map - you will come up against the edge of the map trying to paddle around the enemy boat by the sand bar.
Find your way onto the crab-shaped rock formation northwest of Death Mountain in the lava, the mine cart rail goes to it. Climb Down from the top of it and around the lip, jumping off the wall to float down (you probably can find a way here via minecart?).

Kind of loving the way that me and the two friends who are all playing this just keep messaging each other "did you see this" or "make sure you go there" - the world is massive and dense and it definitely captured the "you need to talk to your friends to find everything" feel of Zelda. Granted I'm sure that is going to be less and less true as every inch of the game is dissected for speed runs, which are going to be amazing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Play through again, but with Amiibos.

Hi guys, thanks for watching my BOTW any% noglitch amiibo run! Please subscribe.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

By playing the games?

These look classy as.
http://imgur.com/gallery/LDRVN

Is that a 3d printed controller case? Looks too good to be a sticker.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

reach down deep, there is always one. Zelda, LttP, OoT, WW and ALBW all have replay value to me. I could maybe do Majora's Mask once more in the future. That said, it is too early for me to say BOTW has replay value to me, not because it isn't that good, I think it will just be THAT long where I may not have the time. Unless I try to speed run it and go straight to the end.

Yeah I think BOTW replays are going to be speed/gimmick runs as opposed to 100% it again. I think the only game in the entire series I haven't played more than once is Twilight Princess.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Apparently dbrand put up a note on their Switch site saying they wouldn't be selling skins because they damage the console on removal in a way they can't get around. Apparently saying that anyone making skins for the console is going to have the same issue. So if those are the kind of thing you're into, heads up.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Handheld mode makes playing Zelda during lunch easy. Oh god I still have so many parts of the map to explore.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

This thread moves fast, so this may be a repeat, but YOOOO

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/839201359194828800

playtime records are in your user profile page.

I'm just seeing "Started Playing 3 Days Ago" in that spot, does it take time to switch over to hours or do i have to press something?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

gently caress I'm tempted to vote against my own dog.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

I would honestly like a Skyward Sword HD port as I've never played it.

Then also port Link Between Worlds, because I want a top-down Zelda on the Switch :v:

Then make more Zeldas

I'm like 70 shrines into BOTW and I'm really not sure where they take the series from here. I'm not sure how they top this without taking it in another completely new direction.

*That's 70 shrines with 3 areas of the map I haven't even been to, with my map marked up with "hey that looks interesting" features all over the place still. I've never had so much trouble trying to decide what to do in a game (and have relegated that duty to the partner).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

That said, I still think there is always going to be room for a more 'traditional' entry into the series.
ALBW was an excellent reimagining of the standard 8-dungeon formula, and I'd love to see a more focused top-down 8-dungeon Zelda on the Switch to see what they'd come up with.

This was my thought, that they could do a very linear 2D Zelda as it has been quite a while since we've seen that. Give it the polish that LBW got and it would be awesome. I'm just blown away at how dense BOTW is 30+ hours later (I wish that thing would update). I accidentally entered the castle and pretty much explored for ten minutes before deciding I don't want this to end I better bail.

Having said that, there are some quality of life changes that would've been nice with cooking, armor "favorites", notes on the map, framerate in dock, remapping controls, etc, but all things I can live with. I'm pretty sure I know what "the spoiler" is from the first memory I found and each one since kind of furthers it -- all of my friends are avoiding spoiler threads too and are a little behind me, so I literally had to wake up my fiance to explain it to her just so I could talk about it.

Also, restating that 70 shrines in there is a clear front runner for Best Shrine and if you haven't gone there, you should. No context provided beyond "Bring Arrows" (but you should probably be buying every arrow you see from every vendor you see anyway). Go to Death Mountain, look on your map in the lava to the northwest, get inside the crab.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Yeah just did this one. It's awesome.

I love that the basically looked at what makes a Zelda dungeon memorable and went "Why don't we just strip out all the puzzles and then make 100 enclosed puzzles, then have the dungeons as a much more complex puzzle to solve"

It really really works well :allears:

I'm totally regretting not getting the deluxe guide when it went to $50. I kind of want to do as much as I possibly can in a vacuum (or with limited input from IRL friends - it seriously is the Zelda 1 "you need to work with people to find everything" taken to the extreme") before breaking out a guide to find the best Ancient farm spots, find the Korok seeds I missed, and solve any Shrine side quests I couldn't figure out (seriously, what the gently caress is 17 of 24, this is either way simpler or way more complex than I am thinking).

Ehud posted:

I like how many people are smugly asking me how many problems I've had with my Switch.

Everything works great for me :shrug:

My only problem is that I'm not playing it right now.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Probably, but in context I was annoyed/frustrated and moved on to something else. My map is filled with stars for "there was a shrine puzzle or a korok seed here that made you mad, come back drunk".

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 8, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Did anyone figure out the time interval for updating playtimes on the profile screen? Would really like to see what my Zelda clock is at.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Has anyone actually played Bomberman yet? Middling reviews on metacritic, mine is still in the wrap.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

nerdz posted:

I'll literally only get a switch when Monster Hunter is out.

This is the perfect monster hunter console.

Yup. I skipped the last 3DS one to give myself some time off from the franchise to dive into this one fresh. I loved play 3U on my Wii U, and 4 was great on the 3DS but I did miss playing it on the big screen. Hopefully Capcom is up to the task of actually making things look pretty, though to be fair I would still play it if it looked like FF7 and had a polished MH experience.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I am missing one shrine and I have no goddamn idea where it could possibly be. Hell, at this point I'm not even sure how to go about finding it WITH help. Maybe I should actually go finish the game or the random non-shrine related side quests I have left instead of spending 3 hours running around with no direction. And yes, I got the shrine in the castle.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I splurged and got a Guardian amiibo at Target today. It's rad, I think I am going to have to track down the rest of the line.

I got the Guardian and archer Link. They're both really, really nicely done. Scanning anything into the game isn't worth the effort unless you're doing some kind of amiibo assisted speed run.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

glassyalabolas posted:

Did you do event tide island?

I have done every thing that can be reasonably intuited from the map. Hence the frustration of missing just 1. Not something someone is (or should) just throw out there as the one I'm missing. Taking a break to do other poo poo and will give it a fresh look later.

And standing by my original "Best Shrine" assessment. Location: Inside the rock crab in the northwest of the lava lake in death mountain.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a way to find it though use of a late game special ability or treasure map system, ala Windwaker.

There's the tracker on the slate, turned that on to find some of the last few even though the sound effect is so annoying. The first 104 or so were found pretty organically but they have been a bit of a slog since.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Louisgod posted:

How are people almost already done with Zelda, I've put like 20 hours into it and just got to Kakariko village and have hit up.. maybe 10 shrines?

The game's ability to take hours away via distractions is unreal. Only two other games I've played that've ever sucked me so immensely into the world is OOT and Xenoblade. gently caress I love Xenoblade and we better loving get an HD remake for the Switch.

I pretty much haven't left the house this week except for walking the dog.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

Only reason I haven't yet is I'm waffling between Switch and 3DS. The Switch's screen is so nice, but I'm one of those weirdos who enjoys the 3D on 3DS and whenever I turn it off the games feel lacking, as I'm so used to it.

Naturally, no reviews of the 3DS version are out there yet.

The 3DS has 3D?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My first playthrough is gonna be DLC and amiibo free. Subsequent ones will be good for messing around with the game via loot.

You may want to do amiibo from the start as there are apparently rare armor drops that are only obtainable through amiibo if that is your thing. Including: Ganon's sword, Sheik's mask, some other crap I forgot but i think the OOT outfit. The benefits they offer with the shield/bow/etc they drop are really not huge as they break so quickly and you get those items fairly early, and the Ancient materials from the guardian are easily farmed later in the game should you so desire. Speed runs only appear to care about Smash Bros Link amiibo. I got the DLC but I don't think i ever backtracked to find the chests, doesn't matter.

e; Can someone repost that list of Nindies with trailers and release dates?

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 13, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Consummate Professional posted:

What type of game is shovel knight?

Mega Man 2, Super Mario Bros 3, and Duck Tales had a baby.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My joy cons work fine, but I cancelled my 2nd set order and will be holding off until whatever this issue is gets resolved through firmware/manufacturing/whatever it is.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Revol posted:

I had been planing to put a stencil onto my plain Switch case, but then I realized I could use my 3D printer to get an embossed design instead.

Messier than I would have liked, but the logo itself is supposed to look worn, so I guess it works out in the end.

I am also going to print a belt clip so I don't have to always carry it in my hands when I take it out with me. At the moment, I'm printing a earbud wire wrap that I edited to include a Triforce design. I've been looking for a good Joycon grip replacement, this is the best I've found so far.

I'm going to try to edit this design tonight to be more comfortable. This is a good start, but I think you still need an ergonomic grip for your palms.

Finally, I plan to paint my Joycons yellow.

That is a great joycon cradle tweak (though I would have put the angling the opposite direction, personally). I hate using the cradle because getting my thumb to the joystick feels like I'm doing the claw.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

Lol just lol if you use a grip. Let your hands be wild and free just like the great goddess designed, each gingerly cradling a young and supple Nintendo brand JoyCon.

I have either been using pro controller with my tv or joycons loose in tabletop mode at my desk. Not crazy about handheld mode or the cradle. Can't think of too many occasions I'd need to play in handheld that tabletop wouldn't work at least. Handheld mode issues to me probably would matter less for games that didn't heavily utilize the right joystick.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The profile timer can't be right, can it? Telling me 95 hours on Zelda. That doesn't sound right...

I wonder if the system is and the game is running with the system on the home screen if it counts towards hours.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 14, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Onean posted:

Nah. I've pretty much had BotW running 100% of the time since my Switch arrived on the 2nd, and I'm at 60+ hours.

From the numbers given so far, I'd guess it updates every 5 hours or so once you reach a certain point? I'll have to play some more Shovel Knight and check it every now and then to see.

I played probably 10-12 hours a day Sat/Sun/Sat/Sun, little bit before work each day of the week, some at lunch, and like 3 hours a night. I'm not sure where another 20 hours came from. I didn't take days off from work and I'm pretty sure I slept?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

Either your memory is a little off or the electronic thing with a built in clock is logging hours funny.

Maybe I should lay down.

I mean, that is the clock of 120 shrines, 180ish seeds, all armor, most of that armor fully upgraded, almost all side quests. Doesn't get much more complete without going down the 100% rabbit hole (seriously, i'm only at like 38%).

e; I don't remember the last time I played a game for more than 30-40 hours and then this comes out. Soooo DLC time?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yeah those ones are a bit wonky but you can cheat most of them with some creativity on your part

The only motion control one that really frustrated me was the maze with the little ramp at the end, but I ended up just slapping the ball out of the thing entirely. I really enjoyed the minigolf one and pretty much stood up in my living room to get the right form for it. The various other rotate a block ones were fine.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

enojy posted:

I just do a claw grip with the jump button on B. It's more for camera manipulation while running, but works for run & jump too. Works better on the Pro controller than the Joy-Con. Thanks Dark Souls for teaching me how to hold a controller incorrectly, the proper way.

Yeah I can't play Zelda in handheld mode because of the claw required. Much easier with loose joycons at my desk or with the pro on my couch. Master Blaster is great in handheld though. Still haven't opened Bomberman or loaded Shovelknight, but it is seeming like I'll be using different controllers/modes game to game.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

More than 75 hours in BotW and I am still not finished, or bored with it.

I really hope the next game fucks around with gravity physics in the Twilight realm.

Also Switch sales numbers are extremely positive, so that's good.

Everyone I know seems to be surprised at how many hours they're logging on BOTW by 10-20 hours. Way too easy to lose yourself in this one.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

enojy posted:

I'm really satisfied with the way they set things up if you were to start a new game and just rush the castle, as a speed runner or masochist may do. No spoilers, but it's nigh impossible. Someone may pull it off eventually, but I'm pretty sure we won't see a "any% no upgrade tree branch only" run for years, if ever.

On that note, stay away from Hyrule Castle until you're ready to see the endgame. Like don't even go near it.

From what I've seen and heard, it's a solid port. I think there's a new gameplay video from PAX East that shows it running perfectly, and someone just bought the game early from Toys R Us and said it's perfect aside from the occasional bug where opening a door doesn't make the door opening sound.

Ehhh, I went into the castle a few times before my end run and its definitely worth exploring a good deal before actually trying to "win", during which you probably won't actually fight anything. Took me a few hours to explore the place fully. Great music, good loot, [spoiler]some great journals[/spoilers] -- go for it!

I don't think you'd have enough inventory slots to do "tree branch only" runs, current speed runs are already under an hour with lots of room for improvement in castle path optimization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm not a huge BoI fan but I am tempted to get it as I hadn't played anything but vanilla. Would much prefer Gungeon (or, if we're going to dream, FTL) on this thing but alas.

Bomberman is still in its wrap and I'm kind of tempted to just return it after hearing about the input lag and other various issues. Seems like impressions of the release got worse than the demo.

• Locked thread