Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blazing Zero posted:

if you really have to play sd3, there are english translated :filez: out there and they are good

That's what I did back in the day, but having it translated on the Switch with co-op would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's the battery life when playing something that isn't Zelda? I know Zelda will eat that poo poo alive with only 2.5 hours of playtime but what about something like Metal Slug and Snipperclips? 5 or 6 hours?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Awesome, thanks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GreatGreen posted:

Is it possible to replace the Switch's battery?

Only if you open it which is tedious and voids your warranty.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IcePhoenix posted:

I was getting like 4 or 5 hours on Zelda while watching basketball this weekend, do you have the brightness set to "Beacon of Gondor" or something?

Nope, not maxed but with the Wifi on and volume all the way.

Dr Cheeto posted:

IFixit posted a teardown and they had the battery out in pretty short order, but it's clearly not designed to be user-replaceable, definitely voids your warranty, and I don't know where you'd get a replacement in the first place.

eBay within a couple months I bet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

Who cares about warranty when it would probably be up by the time you would need to replace the battery anyway. If it isn't, then just have Nintendo replace it.

True, but why couldn't it be user replaceable like the Wii U Gamepad and 3DS?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IcePhoenix posted:

Ah, I had the volume below 50% I think

Which is for the best, the speakers on the Switch are terrible anyway at full volume. Might as well just use headphones at lower volume for it to sound better.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Not a Children posted:

Short version is, electronics are designed with heat dissipation in mind. If the optimal way to keep heated elements separated is through the use of ribbon cables, the manufacturer is not going to be ok with allowing consumers to tinker with it, because they have this bad habit of loving up ribbon cables and then blaming the manufacturer.

e: As Dr. Cheeto said above, the only way to circumvent this is by giving the electronics more space (making it bulkier) or using more elaborate heat-sinking methods (making it more expensive)

That's bullshit because you could just have the ribbon cable terminate with contacts so the user wouldn't have to mess about with it, basically how the 3DS does it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Cheeto posted:

3DS has a big plastic firewall keeping battery-replacing customers away from electronic doodads and extremely modest cooling requirements. If you implemented the same design in the Switch you'd inevitably end up with a fatter design and now you'd have to work out somewhere to dump the heat you were putting into the back of the case.

By "big plastic firewall" you mean a thin piece of plastic?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Isn't there some issue with Fast RMX and it's frame rate that was supposed to be fixed with the Switch firmware?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yes, large enough to make a place for that bigass battery, in addition to a cover, a retaining spring, and some kind of feature to keep your customers from putting in the battery the wrong way. The loss of a heat sink is more important, we already know the Switch can put out a lot of heat in the current configuration. Every cubic millimeter of this device is spoken for and every additional feature means making a sacrifice somewhere.

The Switch battery wastes a bunch of space with a thick layer of foam, and notching the battery and compartment so it only fits one way and labeling it with arrows that have to line up isn't really hard to do. They could design a battery that pulls out from the bottom of the device and makes it easily swappable.

The battery thing is really a non-issue because by the time it needs replacing there is going to be another model out and having Nintendo fix it is cheap enough, but to think that designing a swappable battery just wasn't possible is bullshit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

If the weapons didn't break down then you'd run to Hyrule Castle, grab one of each Royal Guard weapon, then the rest of the game has no challenge and everything dies in one hit. They'd have to rebalance the way the whole game works.

If you can manage to do that then you deserve for the rest of the game to be a cake walk. They wouldn't have to balance poo poo because having OP weapons the whole game would rule. Also those weapons aren't astronomically better than the rest of the game and won't OHKO larger enemies.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Yeah except there are lots of ways you learn over the course of the game to sneak into the castle without needing to fight anything, which is very cool and they'd need to change that, which is rebalancing the game!!

Trivializing the rewards system they use (maybe you'll find a sweet weapon here if you explore enough! You come across a hard enemy, you get a stronger weapon to use for a while) would radically alter the game. You could change it so you didn't have weapon durability but it would significantly impact every system the game uses and it would require a total rework of nearly every piece.

But here's the problem, what we're talking about is already in the game just with a weapon durability system in place. There's nothing from stopping a good player from constantly looting the Castle over and over (since the weapons respawn anyway) and "breaking" the game never using low-rank gear. The game is all about being open and tackling objectives how the player sees fit and "balancing" the game so the player who did manage to loot high level weapons isn't that powerful completely goes against this. The game is fine with someone stomping through with the best weapons because even with that poo poo it's still challenging.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

If you want to go back and constantly farm the best weapons you're sure free to, but it's not automatically more effective than playing normally because it's going to take you a lot, lot longer. You'd be trading your time for effectiveness in combat, which is both a fine decision to make and also not by default the "best" thing you could do to beat the game. I trade time for effectiveness in combat in different ways, by grabbing food and resources while exploring to get food that helps me fight. If you wanted to do a similar thing by raiding the castle constantly you could do that too! They are both effective, valid ways of playing because the weapon durability system exists. If it didn't you'd be gimping yourself by not grabbing the best stuff right off the bat, which would be lame.

Once you get the Shrine in Hyrule Castle getting there is a non-issue, and with Shrines all over the world it would be easy to just warp, restock and warp back to a point that's probably a 5 minute walk away from where you last were.

Who would it be lame for? You wouldn't be gimping yourself at all not going for it, you'd just be playing the game the way it was meant to be played, so it would be balanced the whole way through.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Spending the time required to farm the weapons that only appear every so often is the trade off. It's still not going to save you time since it would still take a while to do.

Yes, if the game was totally rebalanced for removing the weapon durability system it could work. The entire point of the argument is that they would have to rebalance the entire game to get it to work that way. It would, as a result, be a different game. However, the game as it is is done really well and the weapon durability system is a key part of how everything gels together.

While I do enjoy the weapon durability system the game has going on, I feel like it's a little overdone especially with stronger weapons really not lasting all that much longer than low tier stuff. I also think it's a missed opportunity that there's no way to regain certain weapons. Have some weapons (not the post dungeon ones) be able to reforged or buyable with a smithy or something that you help to deck out his forge, have some only be reforged via Fairy's that require certain mats, have the Guardian stuff require a recharge at Cherry for a fee. Maybe have a demon weapon that returns with a Blood Moon. Leave the weapon in the player's inventory and give them the option to hold onto it and waste a weapon slot or chuck it and have it be permanently destroyed until another is found. I think that'd be a better balance since there's a lot of times where I avoided a confrontation because a lot of the time it would just cost me a good weapon for nothing in return.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rirse posted:

Metal Slug 3 is always a great fun game to play. Metal Slug X is probably the high point of the series for me, but 3 was really good too.

3 is the best of all the game, the gently caress's wrong whichu?

X owns though. I really hope they bring over every god drat Metal Slug for the Switch. 3 is a fantastic port and I'm glad it's not terrible like the lovely DotEmu ports on Steam.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My wired connection is having issues. I just swapped my adapter over from the Wii U and now it's telling me that there's a connection, but I can't get into the eShop. I can post screenshots to twitter, but that's it.

I think the eShop might be down, I can't access it either on my wireless connection.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Infinitum posted:

:siren: Solution to Switch not connecting to the eShop :siren:

You need to RESTART the Switch.

Steps
1.) On the Home screen HOLD down the power button and a menu will appear
2.) Select Power Options
3.) Select Restart (Or Power Off)
4.) Switch will restart and you'll be able to connect to the eShop again!

Sleep mode will NOT fix this, it has to be a proper restart or power cycle.

I tried manual DNS settings, turning on my old 2.4Ghz wifi, tethering to my phone, etc, etc.
Just needed a restart

:v:

That's so weird but thanks for this!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Infinitum posted:

Did it work for you?

If so :hfive:

Like a charm, the eShop failed to load earlier in the day so I just thought it was down I tried to see if it was fixed after reading your post and it was a no go, a quick restart though and it's working.

:hfive:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Norns posted:

Easy if you apply it in a hot moisture heavy room. Run your shower hot then apply it in the bathroom.

I applied mine without a shower but heed my words when I say don't do this, I placed the screen down and some dust still managed to get under the screen and my OCD wouldn't let me let that poo poo slide. Taking the screen off is hard as balls and I ended up chipping the corner of one of it so that cover never sat flush and I had to toss it. If you want it to sit perfectly just do it in a steamed room to make it easy on yourself.

The end result is so loving ace though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

No cool game card or box :colbert:

Not even the physical release has those.

I mean, come on Nintendo, we're back to cartridges and Zelda didn't even get a gold one? smh

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ciaphas posted:

Got a chance to get a Switch from Fry's I reckon I'm gonna try for. Does it come with a way to charge without the dock, or do I need to buy a separate adapter?

The adapter that connects to the dock is the same one you can buy separately, it's just annoying to have to disconnect it from the dock and whatnot.

Is the Splatoon testfire seriously only at certain hours of the day? Come on Nintendo, just run this poo poo the whole loving weekend.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tender Bender posted:

What's confusing is he seems like he wants to buy another Switch later in the year when other games and the Zelda dlc are out.

If he's not going to use it until then why have it around when he can recoup what he paid for it and have money that's actually useful to him?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I get not selling it since it's hard to find now, but that might not be the case when it decides to buy another one.

Tender Bender posted:

The argument is that he wouldn't recoup what he paid, he argued he's fine losing some money so that the Switch isn't collecting dust.

But he would? They're still selling well over MSRP on eBay. I don't think he'd ever lose money on it right now, but he just doesn't want it lingering around. I'd keep it especially if I was waiting on the Zelda DLC but I see it as reasonable to not want stuff hanging around without a use, and this is coming from someone who has a bunch of that.

sigher fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 26, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

Depends on how popular the next games are. When Pokemon came out for 3DS, the 3DS pretty much disappeared from stores.

True but if he's willing to take the risk, gently caress it, I don't see any other games making the Switch fly off shelves but Mario is coming out during the holiday so who knows.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wait, Snake Pass is also on Steam? Nice.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Beastie posted:

Someone buy Snake Pass, play it for an hour, and have a report on my desk in 20 minutes, please.

I bought it on Steam, I'll report in once I get off work.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SNAKE PASS REVIEW Steam Version.

So after an hour of Snake Pass I... don't know if I would recommend it. The production quality is high, it feels like a Rare game in presentation and the soundtrack reminds me a bit of Diddy Kong Racing and The Lion King, it's good. Everything is bright and colorful and Noodle has some good expressions (which you can control with the D-pad). The gameplay is linear level progression and each level has stuff to collect 3 keys which are required to advance, 15~ blue orb things and 5 coins. I don't know what the latter two things do if you collect them other than just to be a completionist. After 8 levels I haven't run into enemies or hazards other than falling off the level.

My issue with the game is the controls, and I might just be bad at this game but Noodle is kinda hard to control. The default controls have you move forward with the right trigger, "grip" with the left and raise Noodle's head to go up (which is necessary to go up walls and posts). It feels like a juggling act trying to get him to do what you want him to, wrapping around posts, especially horizontal ones, can become really frustrating. I'm also using an Xbox One controller on PC and the analog triggers let you move Noodle slower which I find to be necessary, you really have to move him with finesse. I have no clue how you're going to do this with the Switch's lack of analog triggers.

I'm going to keep playing until the controls click but god drat, it feels like I'm playing with boxing gloves.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

an actual dog posted:

Thank for review, I didn't know that it used the analog triggers so I'm gonna grab it on steam.

There's an "easy" mode for the controller on Steam where it removes the forward motion from the trigger and puts on the joystick along with steering Noodle, that has to be the default method of movement on the Switch version. It's easier, but controlling Noodle is still a pain.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vegastar posted:

EDIT: Note this won't work with the charge grip. I'm sure there's some way to ghetto rig it together, but I haven't bothered to figure it out yet.

I did the exact same thing with mine but imine's the charge drop, I just epoxied the magnet right to the circuit board.

an actual dog posted:

I'm playing it on steam the normal way and it's loving great.

How are you controlling him without losing your mind?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Cheeto posted:

I promise it's not just a bunch of goons trying to justify their Switch purchases: Neo Turf Masters is a great game, and all the Neogeo titles have great VC options. I was unhappy with the shot timer so I bumped it from 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/844929659477274624

I'm now doubting the game's quality if Gerstmann likes it. That sullied everything.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Metal Slug 1 is coming to the eShop? I really hope we get the whole series because gently caress yeah. If this just becomes a Metal Slug machine for me I'm in.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is a photoshop, isn't it? :smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh no poor Reggie and miyamoto whatever will they do if someone emulates the switch

Continue swimming in their money like Scrooge McDuck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

tap my mountain posted:

What's the point of emulating the switch if you still need joycons to feel the ice cubes clinking around?

You can connect the Joycons to a computer via Bluetooth and they show up natively so this wouldn't be an issue.

Nolgthorn posted:

The Switch is cheap and good. I don't know why I would emulate it other than to get free games, but there aren't any and the experience would be worse on the ones that exist so why.

I'd like to play Breath of the Wild at 1080p without frame dips but losing the portability of the Switch would suck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Stux posted:

i guess this doesnt apply to the switch really, but another really good way nintendo could clamp down on piracy through emulation of their other systems is by porting the VC to pc. that way they could offer an affordable alternative the same way some genesis games etc have gotten steam ports, which would also bring them in some money. its a two for one! thoughts?

If Nintendo released a Virtual Console Digital Distribution for PC that only offered their older titles, N64 and before, it'd be tits. Tie that into your Nintendo account and have all old purchases of VC games on the Wii/3DS/Wii U/Switch show up would be amazing, then start porting all those titles the Switch and have the PC/Switch be the ultimate gaming combo.

It'll never happen as Nintendo loves to rerelease poo poo and do all that emulation work again then charge you a premium.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Everyone buy Metal Slug and Metal Slug 3 so they port all of the other games to the Switch. Thank you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vikar Jerome posted:

this years april fools is really terrible.

full of poo poo like this. i would buy all those games.

Oh come on, gently caress you Nintendo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress amiibo. If you're going to put a bunch of poo poo locked behind these awful toys then at least make it purchasable for people who don't want them. I'd pay for all of the extra armors and weapons in BOTW if that were an option but instead I had to spoof all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Infinitum posted:

Do not have sexual intercourse with toys

Unless they are sex toys

But they aren't

So don't do that

They're not good for anything then.

• Locked thread