Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
-12 HOURS REMAIN- until I can pick up my preorder after work. I look forward to playing Zelda for like 3 weeks straight with you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

axeil posted:

but i heard the graphics are bad and konami made it so we should all hate it?

i'm already going to get FAST RACING TOTALLY NOT F-ZERO or whatever it's called i think three games may be too much to handle :ohdear:

I'm really leery about Bomberman. I will probably spend my other gaming bux this month on FAST, also, as well as Shovel Knight Treasure Trove.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Hi, Switch goons. I'm half-heartedly programming this login page in a desperate bid to pass time at work, and it's not working. I've only been here an hour. :supaburn:

This is gonna be like a Twilight Zone thing where I walk out of here at the end of the day and 200 years have passed.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ignimbrite posted:

I played five hours of BotW today

I would probably play another five more if I wasn't literally falling asleep trying to find this last loving cuccoo

You gotta drink 15 5 Hour Energies for 75 consecutive hours of energy, dawg*

*please don't actually do that :ohdear:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kawabata posted:

I'm very happy that Nintendo chose to respect their fans and release BOTW for both the Wii U and the Switch but I can't help but wonder what this means in term of Switch sales. This is one of best (and best reviewed) game of all times, and other than for an increase of 180p in resolution it looks identical on the two consoles.

Some of my friends bought a used Wii U specifically for BOTW, spending 100 to 150 euros. With the added bonus that they can now access the entire Wii U / Wii games lineup which they discovered to be absolutely loving incredible. They won't buy a Switch anytime soon.

I think it's two totally different audiences. I could have bought it for the Wii U, too, but I figured I'm going to end up buying a Switch, anyway, so I might as well do it now.

It doesn't stop me from going back to dip into the Wii U and 3DS catalogs, because I don't trade in my consoles, and it gives me access to all the bitchin stuff they have in the pipeline like Xenoblade 2, New SMT, like 40 indie games that I want, and so on.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Derised posted:

Is it safe to assume that the Switch's eShop doesn't have (nor will it ever have) any wiiu/wii titles available?

It doesn't have anything like Wii U's "Wii Channel" or whatever, if that's what you mean. That doesn't mean they won't port things forward, though. Lego City Underground is already in the pipeline for Switch, and that was a Wii U launch title.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

BambooEarpick posted:

So what's the consensus on screen protectors? Get one? Which one?

the answer is pretty much always Hori.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
One thing I read about the Joycon issue is that some TVs can provide interference. Try moving your switch dock further away from the TV, per Nintendo Customer Support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xbf7s/if_youre_having_joycon_issues_but_the_lights_are/

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Feenix posted:

This is going to sound silly, but I need some realtalk. New to Nintendo ecosystem. I think I may have an accunt I set up for Pokemon or Fire Emblem Heroes or something... what do I need to do to be all set up and ready to go. Indoctrinated, as it were... anything important?

You'll want to make sure you have one of these set up:
https://my.nintendo.com/

That's gonna be your Nintendo account that the eShop links up to.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

man nurse posted:

Like, I kind of expected native 1080p at this point. C'mon Nintendo, what are we doing here?

Targeting a price point that will recuperate R&D costs along with software sales that's less than $500, mostly.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Reporting in: I've noticed no problems with my joycons except that the left stick clicks a little too easy for me, but that's because of my lead thumb lol.

Anyway Zelda is fun af and I'm gonna play it basically all weekend.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I played Zelda all weekend and now my eyes are probably damaged, but it's worth it. Without looking for stats, I've probably played like 16-20 hours and I've only done one of the 4 major "dungeons". It is a fantastic exploration game.

Also, the speed run that'll probably happen as SGDQ this year will be loving hilarious, because the physics engine is VERY ABUSABLE.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

parallelodad posted:

I am hoping they take some time and let more interesting and fleshed out speedrun strategies develop rather than rush one by June just to have it in the marathon.

It will be so goofy. There are already clips of people cheesing shrines by like doing trickshots with bombs, but I'm curious to see if there's a "get stasis and then rush to Ganon by riding a flying crate" run that's actually viable.

edit:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't get this, are there lots of reports about poo poo wifi? Both 2.4G and 5G? The iFixit teardown showed the Switch got two antennas and a 802.11ac 2x2 chip, but maybe the metal thingy blocks the signals?

My Switch wifi works great which is a good thing because otherwise I might get tempted to hardware mod some fancier antennas in there :downs:

I was having some wifi trouble yesterday, but then I saw that my girlfriend had buried the router under a pile of notebooks and Wii U games, so your mileage may vary :v:

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 6, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Linx posted:

Please... d-don't do it Nintendo :gonk:

(Do it)

You'll be able to feel all your Bells jingle around in your hands with HD RumbleŽ as you hand them over to Tom Nook.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm considering buying Shovel Knight on the eshop site this afternoon to see how reliable the automatic downloading in sleep mode is. It only works like half the time for me on Steam.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elmon posted:

Wifi seems fine once it's connected, but it has trouble getting a connection for a lot of people. I get two bars when it's ~5 ft from my router. Which works fine but is still odd.

Same, but my Wii U is the same way and it didn't really impact anything. Splatoon matches aren't laggy, and so on.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Argue posted:

So, any power bank I use with a cellphone should be able to work with the Switch, right? My power bank says "Capacity: 20400 mAh/ 3.7V / 75.48Wh", and it's got two output ports, one 5V 1A, and one 5V 2A. Anything I should know?

Use a good USB-C cable from a reliable brand like Anker, and also most batteries like that charge slower than the Nintendo adapter, so expect games with heavy resource usage like Zelda to still outpace the incoming power.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

deetee posted:

This has probably been covered umpteen times, but in my brief search I found nothing. Is the pro controller worth having at this point, or does the joy-con do a serviceable job for Zelda?

I've just been playing with Joycons in the grip, and I haven't had any problems. I have average size hands and wear the Large plastic gloves IIRC from my foodservice days.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Invalid Validation posted:

It's 2017 why can't I just pay for a stupid console and they send me one when the stock comes in?

I mean, let me put it this way. That's how it works for board games, and it's: not great. I preordered a copy of the second printing of Terraforming Mars back in November, like shortly after the first wave sold out all over the place. I'm still waiting for my copy of Terraforming Mars. Last time I checked in with the seller, they said the reprint was on schedule for last week sometime, so if I'm lucky I'll have my stupid $60 board game this month sometime.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nolgthorn posted:

Nintendo wouldn't do anything like allow selling games on their console like the App Store. Or is there a big huge thing about getting a game released on the Switch. Like as a dev if I wanted to play around with some prototypes on the Switch I can't just Wifi it over.

I mean, Unity and UE4 should just have an export target for Switch, but you would need a special devkit model probably to get it running on the actual hardware. Nintendo has said that they plan to vet the eshop games a lot more thoroughly than they did in the past, to avoid drowning in a sea of shovelware that's always "on sale".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Infinitum posted:

It is ridiculous how good Zelda is

It really has exceeded my expectations on every level. I've played a lot of open world games, but none of them are this compelling to explore. I think a lot of it does come down to how fragile your equipment is? In a game like Far Cry or Watch_Dogs/Assassin's Creed where your gear is 100% reliable, the stuff you find as open world breadcrumbs is kind of uninteresting- it's just money to spend on bullets, or materials for an inventory boost. And like, it's kind of the same case in Zelda? Except that you need all that stuff to keep yourself armed and supplied with healing items, so it feels more exciting to find it. I find myself compelled to get to the high ground because: there's usually a korok seed or something up there, and also you need those lines of sight to see things on the map.

Making shrines remain hidden on the map even after activating the tower was a genius move, because it forces you to continue actively observing the landscape.

Also, I've done like 30 shrines or something and there haven't been any duds. All those puzzles are, at minimum, mildly interesting.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I feel like I should check out Zelda in portable mode, but I just really haven't had a reason to. I don't have enough time during my lunch break at work for a satisfying play session of pretty much anything, and my girlfriend is busting her rear end studying for midterms instead of watching TV or playing Splatoon :v:

Joycon battery life is brilliant, though. I played for 6 hours or more yesterday (:goonsay:) and they still have like 3/4 power or something.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Olivil posted:

What's the range on the joycons?

Also how do they feel for long sessions when docked? I'm really hesitating whether I should pickup a pro controller or not.

It's kind of an unknown, still, because they seem to be highly susceptible to interference. We've seen video evidence of them working fine from like 30 feet, and I've never had any issues this week playing zelda from my couch, but also some people are still posting reports of desync issues from like 6 feet away, so it's hard to get a clear number.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

irlZaphod posted:

I have purchased 3 (three) entire games for the Nintendo Switch, and as of today have only played 1 (one) of them.

I've purchased 4, if you count the three Shovel Knight campaigns as separate games. I'll probably also throw Blast Master on the pile. Gotta build up a backlog of NES-like games to play after I finish Zelda in like 2 weeks :f5:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cicero posted:

After playing BotW I dunno if I can go back to old Zeldas.

I could probably go back to Wind Waker, still. But yeah, BotW really throws up a giant middle finger to the last like 16 years of Zelda design, where Hyrule is basically a theme park with Castle Land, Volcano Land, Water Land, and Spooky Land, or whatever.

Which is fascinating because it's arguably still built like Disney World. There are thematic areas. You can see the castle from almost every point on the map if you get to high ground. It's just arranged into a more real space, compared to even Twilight Princess, where the world still felt clearly like a series of big rooms.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Vikar Jerome posted:

i could go back to both nes zeldas, wind waker and majoras mask but that would be it. maybe OoT.

Oh yeah, I could go back to Zelda 1 or LttP, too, or the gameboy ones. I don't think I have another Ocarina playthrough left in me, though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

big mean giraffe posted:

I guess you've never had a video game system break ever?

My N64's reset switch got a little dodgy after like 10 years, does that count? :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This thread moves fast, so this may be a repeat, but YOOOO

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/839201359194828800

playtime records are in your user profile page.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

parallelodad posted:

I just don't know if the system can overcome Capcom's laziness of not wanting to develop HD assets. Same for Gamefreak.

Gamefreak already made high-poly pokemon models. It's why the framerate chugs so bad in multi-battles in Sun/Moon.

I think Capcom will probably make an HD Monster Hunter, but it will either be smaller in scope until the G-Rank version comes out a year later, or they'll just steal a bunch of assets from the MMO :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Feenix posted:

2 Zelda Questions:

1) I'm early on... but I have run into a rock monster and a bunch of spider tank things. I avoided the tank walker things to get to the temple they were near... they seemed (as did the rock giant) to take no damage from my attacks. Are they just a " later" thing? Or was I not doing something right?

2) I found the 3 shrines easily enough... Stasis, Bomb and umm Magnet. I cannot find the 4th. Any help?

1) Rock Giant has a weak spot that you can probably figure out if you examine it. There is a trick to being able to actually get to said weak spot, though. Tank Walkers are a similar case, with a fairly obvious weak spot, but there are a couple of other moves you can use against them, too, which may not be obvious unless you think about how energy-based projectiles work in a lot of previous Zelda games.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bum the Sad posted:

What was the trick. I just jumped at it repeatedly until I latched on then jumped up and beat it with sticks.

You can blow up its arms with bombs, and then it will be forced to lower its whole body down to make new arms. It's really easy to climb up onto its head from there and then just kill it with the Sledgehammer Charged Attack.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Also, I'm really pleased that there are like 5 different perfectly usable ways to kill that monster. Zelda is good.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm laughing at all you people who think Nintendo would publish games on Steam. They're like the poster child for Japanese developers who are terrified of PC users, who are universally scoundrels and pirates, completely across the board (their words, not mine).

Like, it's borderline miraculous that we've been getting all these Tecmo-Koei and Bandai games.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I can't understand why Nintendo didn't make a console that's got
  • more power
  • less hardware issues
  • better launch games
  • better battery time
Really that just seems dumb to me. Oh, and also
  • cheaper
What I'm trying to say is that

I know this post is taking the piss out of the armchair Nintendo Shareholders here, but bolded for emphasis. I love my Switch, but if it had been a penny more expensive than $300, I would have bought the Wii U version of BotW and waited until summer.

If you want your device to be cheap, then it's going to sacrifice things like battery life and power.
"But deadly_pudding, I can get a PS4 for $250" Yes, and it's like 5x the size and power needs of a Switch and doesn't have a built-in screen.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Macintosh HD posted:

Also the PS4 gets terrible battery life

I considered typing a statement about a hypothetical crazy person who might try to build a "portable PS4 bag" to take on an airplane, but I've only ever heard of that happening with the Wii U because of the gamepad.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Astro7x posted:

Why?

It's very unlikely that the console will drop in price. They'll also not likely make any hardware revisions to the thing within that time. Your first party games are not going to drop in price either, Zelda will still be $60.

If you're going to buy the system eventually within the first year, it's like saying "Well, I am not going to get lunch at noon, I'm going to wait until 3pm to have lunch, and be thinking about eating until then and pay the same price for the same meal!"

Saying you're going to wait for the price drop? Sure, I see that, but there is nothing to gain by waiting until Summer at this point. MAYBE around Christmas we'll see a holiday bundle, and you'll say $50-$60 on a game.

Mostly just library concerns. I'm gonna run out of Zelda juice in about 2 weeks, and then I'll probably whip through Shovel Knight and Blaster Master before going back to PC games until Puyo Puyo Tetris comes out.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Utnayan posted:

Once again, another thing that is hurting the switch, pricing models.

Why is this $39 on the switch, yet $29 on the same release day for PS4.

It's one point I didn't bring up. Switch users are getting price gouged for the same game but cheaper across all other platforms. For zero reason. (Same goes with the upcoming Super Street Fighter 2)

It's $29 on the eshop. $39 physical version comes with keychains.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 8, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Is this a new thread game where we pretend we lost the part of our brain that can comprehend iterative design?

Because Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was a really lazy port of Assassin's Creed 2.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ohtsam posted:

We're indulging utnayan so he can feel really smart

Right? All I'm saying is that it was ludicrous of them to expect $60 for an idle game and a different set of crumbling Italian landmarks to climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Let's think of other unjustly-priced games that claim to be sequels, but are actually full price expansion packs.

Super Mario World was definitely just SMB 3 with high-rez graphics and some new powerups.

I think if Gamefreak weren't a bunch of INDU$TRY $HILLS, then Sun/Moon could have easily been a New Game+ for XY.

Am I doing it right?

• Locked thread