Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Crimson Harvest posted:

It's just after 6 PM on the 3rd, and my Amazon order went from 'preparing for shipping' to 'shipping today'. What the gently caress is this system even doing, and when will I get the poo poo I paid for?

9:23p east coast, still "Arriving today by 8pm."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I mean, we can bitch about VC all day, but let's not pretend that Sony is not only guilty of similar acts with their classics but also walls entire games within consoles (cannot play port of SMT Nocturne for PS3 on the PS4) and gets next to no backlash for it in the way that Nintendo does.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hey bit confused pls help

I have to make a new Nintendo account/ID even if I already have one on my wii-u?

Nintendo Account is different from Nintendo ID. They're trying to streamline the whole thing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

err right, so I think I have the latter

Can't link that to the switch?

You can create a Nintendo Account using your Nintendo ID!

https://accounts.nintendo.com/ should help you cover all the bases.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I cannot believe there are people who genuinely think that the Switch is going to use your cell phone's data plan for online play in the future.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

amotea posted:

Watched the Cinemassacre BOTW livestream a few times, it seems to be an insanely dull open world game. Ubisoft level dull, it even has the Ubisoft towers to unlock parts of the map.

I didn't really see him do anything except typical empty open world busywork tasks. The combat was boring as well.

He did one mini dungeon that was a physics puzzle in which he had to spawn 3 ice blocks to get a ball over a ravine. :shepface:

10/10 GOTY JFC. (seriously: if this wasn't a Zelda game it would have been a 7.5/10 game that would have sold maybe 400k copies)

lmao don't watch people play video games instead of playing them yourself, friend

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Do you have some personal stake in Nintendo failing?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

eonwe posted:

Its fine, its literally bomberman

Also, the characters are all interesting and fun, so if you hate those things and have no youth in your soul, Bomberman might actually hurt you.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

jokes_on_them_i_was_only_pretending.jpg

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Harlock posted:

Do not buy I Am Setsuna for anything more than $10-15.

Maybe the Switch-exclusive content will be worth it?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

You know, I can understand complaints and criticism, but why are there people in this thread that are trying to convince everyone else not to buy one or that buying one was a bad decision?

Like, just say "lol nintendo" and leave the thread.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bombadilillo posted:

Tried master blaster, coop. It felt like poo poo. But it was played on a single joycon. With is poo poo. So I dont know of its the game or the joycons.

From all the praise and what with joycons being poo poo, I'll give it a try again with full controller.

The left side of my brain desynced trying to parse this.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bombadilillo posted:

It was bad to play. Don't know if it was because I used a single joycon.

I really hate single joycon.

Like, are you saying that you played Blaster Master Zero Co-Op by yourself using a single Joy-Con, attempting a control scheme that requires two people on your own?

Or did you play Co-Op with a friend and did not like single Joy-Con use and therefore would prefer, say, two sets of Joy-Cons or two Pro Controllers when that becomes possible?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bombadilillo posted:

I said co-op. That implies 2 people. I hate using a single joycon. Double in grip is ok. Pro controller is wonderful. Left or right on its own are bad. Ordering those grips linked earlier. I need SOMETHING.

Okay, got it. I misunderstood your original post.

How big are your hands?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

parallelodad posted:

Anyone got theories as to why the grip has a little loop on the back of it?

Anime cellphone straps.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Get a WiiU when they turn up super cheap. Without pointer controls, I don't think there'll be a lot of backwards compatibility with the Wii era.

Have Wii Us ever been super cheap?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Waltzing Along posted:

I am digging Human Resource Machine but man, getting the optimization goals is not easy.

Is it still impossible to put games on SD card?

According to my Switch, my SD card is being exclusively used for everything. No games, saves, or even screenshots are being saved to the internal memory.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FireMrshlBill posted:

But it is just basically the first game with new levels, weapons, single player gameplay, graphics, and now portable. Basically just a rerelease of the original at full price. No one will buy it...

If you think about it, every sequel is just the same game with completely new things, meaning that if you own anything, there's no reason to purchase anything that comes after it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Exactly. Zombi U and Super Mario Maker are the only AAA games that fully used both screens, and Zombi U has a PS4 port where the whole game pad function is just mapped to holding L1 then using the analog sticks.

In Mario Kart 8 the second screen was a horn for Christ's sake. In Mario U, Luigi U, and New 3D World it was just a map.

Mario Maker is literally the only Wii U title that wouldn't translate to the Switch because it's entirely touch pad based.

From a few pages back, but Splatoon and Tokyo Mirage Sessions also used fully used both screens, as Splatoon required it for instant jumping and certain special attacks, and TMS basically treated it as your MC's cell phone. Star Fox Zero also used both screens perfectly fine, but, you know, because it didn't play 100% like Star Fox 64, it was extremely bad.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The problem with Splatoon's matchmaking is that people would get bodied and outclassed and would blame matchmaking.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

VideoGames posted:

Five good maps is always better than 20 mediocre maps.
I don't see the problem of releasing a good game with good quality maps (despite it not being as many as an established series) if the levels being played on are good.

Rocket League only had 1 map at launch. Turns out people will gladly play in the same box over and over again for hours if it's actually fun to do so!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Norns posted:

How many arenas does rocket league have? Never played it so curious.

Before the Chaos Run update, there were multiple graphic variations of the same arena. Said update introduced a "non-standard" map called Wasteland, which was similar to standard arenas but was different enough (wider and more sloped) to require adjustments from normal play. Now, there are essentially four maps: Standard, Wasteland, Starbase Arc (giant octagon), and Neo-Tokyo (elevated edges), which was just removed from the game and will be returned in the form of, welp, a Standard arena.

There are a few non-Standard test maps, but no one really plays them.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dizz posted:

Huh. Wonder why they weren't added in then, maybe the devs weren't fully satisfied with them?

At least one of the original maps, Urchin Underpass, was completely changed during the game's life, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to see how things panned out before unleashing new areas.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I liked splatoon a lot but I also don't pretend it was a great bargain.

how do you determine "a great bargain"?

like, what are you quantifying

ddogflex posted:

This is weeks late, because I just rented over the weekend, but holy gently caress is 1-2 Switch an insanely bad value. It's neat to see what the controllers can to. The marbles in the box thing specifically is super neat. But uh, beyond trying them all once I cannot see ever actually playing this. Good god I would be pissed if I spent $50 on it. What in the gently caress.

i played this over the weekend with 4 other people, and we had a blast. we plan on doing so again in the future

really, the question here is "do you have friends who want to quick draw and ball count with you more than once?" if yes, 1-2-switch is a good value

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kirios posted:

Also Blastermaster Zero's really good you should totally get that!

Fast RMX is kinda overrated, don't get that though.

Fast RMX is scratching an itch I didn't know I had, so I'd recommend it, personally!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I completed that section without realizing there were bananas you could use. I literally just put on my ninja suit and casually walked behind them to the exit.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Beastie posted:

Hey which store has the NeoGeo golf game that is super rad?

None of them yet. Portable NEO TURF MASTERS will happen, and I will buy it immediately.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The kickstand snaps into place and has never fallen over for me, even when I accidentally hit the table it's on. I consider myself a general, average consumer, so I'd like to think I'm treating my electronics pretty normally. Given that, I don't know how nearly any of the problems people have with the Switch come up.

I'm not saying they aren't happening, but with things like the kickstand, what are you doing that is, under normal circumstances, making this stuff happen?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wheany posted:

/

Marie treats her Switch well.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

robodex posted:

While I agree BoTW doesn't necessarily need a leveling system, I have found myself skipping most sidequests since so many of them seem to give you very little in the way of rewards.

I do side quests to interact more with the world. I want to hear what people have to say. I don't really care if giving them bugs gives me rupees.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

robodex posted:

Also while BoI is kinda fun I find it hard to justify spending $49.99 on a game I got for free on PS+ a few months ago.

BoI: Rebirth was a PS+ game in November 2014, and Afterbirth+ is practically a brand new experience.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

My Switch's AC adapter died. At least, I assume it did, because it won't do anything in the dock, and it won't charge my Nexus 5X.

Guess I'm calling up Nintendo today!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

parallelodad posted:

Did you try unplugging it for a few minutes? Or plugging it directly into a device and circumventing the dock, in case it's the dock that's broken?

I did, yes. Same result, sadly.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The giant frog boss in Master Blaster Zero was kicking my rear end. I think it's name was RibbiRoll or something. I'm hoping Bloodstained will be good as a not-Castlevania when that comes out

If the E3 demo is any indication, it's headed in the right direction.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Re: ARMS and the like

I'm not sure the Nintendo Switch is really designed for people who do not, with some level of frequency, game with other people. A lot of the Switch's games and overall appeal work best in the company of others, and if that's not for you, you're probably going to be very confused as to why people are looking forward to multiplayer party games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jimmy Hats posted:

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever put the straps on, ever. Buy these.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Grip-Joy-Con-Grips-Thumb/dp/B01MT9RSST

From what I understand, 1-2-Switch will straight up not start certain games if the Joy-Con Straps aren't on.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

irlZaphod posted:

You'll be charged more for them, get less features and won't be covered if your left joycon has a pre-existing condition.

DotEmuCare

Also, you should get BIG TOURNAMENT GOLF, because it is legit good and fun.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Besides the golf game what Neogeo stuff should I pick up

Shock Troopers is good fun with a buddy.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm so torn on this 7.99 Nippon golf game from 21 years ago, should I get or nah?

Yes. It is the best arcade golf experience you will have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hopefully you bought it, because it is super chill

• Locked thread