Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

What's the battery life if you're only playing something like Shovel Knight?
I'm thinking about only playing Zelda at home since it is such a hog and it's hard to notice details when I have sporadic glare.

Less you're on a plane forever Zelda lasts plenty long portable.

Some site said they got 8 hours mobile shovel Knight. :iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a 10 foot HDMI cable on top of all the other accessories because I just had pro controller sync issues too. Nothing else has any trouble maintaining a connection while next to routers etc.

If mine were acting up at a I'd either bother support for a different pair of cons or solder a wire like that one guy did. I love this thing but the connection issues being off on for some people really needs to be addressed.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

koolkal posted:

Which is a real problem that no one seems to ever point out

The whole point of this gimmick switch thing is that it docks and gets a boost in specs to better support a tv screen instead of a small tablet

Except that even nintendo themselves couldnt figure out how to make a small res bump from 720p to 900p work without the framerate stuttering at sub-30 fps

It's the same dumb stuff that made the ps4 pro a joke at release where the ENHANCED versions of games were shittier than the old ones

What's even the point of having 2 sets of specs if there's no real difference between them? When the more powerful version is actually a shittier experience?

But I'm expecting the switchsquad to roll in and tell me that sub-30 fps stuttering is only a problem for the turbonerds and 15fps is all everyone needs

Mario kart and splatoon will work at 1080p cause the drat Wii u managed to do it, this silly thing will no problem. Zelda should have probably stayed 720p docked but then people would have had melt downs about it being "too low res". Or least give people the option.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

koolkal posted:

And man, what games
you can troll better than this

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

No business is going to follow up a disaster by making millions upon millions of their next thing expecting that this time they blindly got it right, that's just bad practice. Sony sold an insane amount of PS3s so they could be more confident of selling through 5-10million units of the PS4 or however many they made.

edit: plus they could be double plus confident after seeing how bad Microsoft shot themselves in the foot.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

edit; NEVER TRUST WIKIPEDIA

I didn't look at wiki what did I miss? I was kinda spitballing here. Honestly I pay 0 attention to either system cause.. I don't care. Which is why I'm baffled when people come into this thread to trash on something they don't want. Like good for you, go do the things you wanna do :shrug:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Harlock posted:

By the time you progress in the game combat becomes a chore unless the enemies you fight have equal or better weapons. Otherwise just a waste of precious resources.

Not if you sneak up, bomb them, and then steal their poo poo bwahahaha

Or climb up the walls around them and smash them from behind before sneaking up on their buddy on the bridge and one shoting him into the water. Then it's a net gain :eng101:

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 10, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

To be fair it's stupid easy to do that. Actually I did let me test how much I hosed them up, cause I think my 2nd pair of joycons is on the switch not the initial ones I oopsied.

Nah all 4 cons are good. Idk I guess I knew I hosed up and took my time undoing it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can't imagine a piece of glass is going to cause a unit that is at most pulling 30W with a fan to overheat.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I vaguely remember some talk about this but everyone does know you can bring the system out of standby with the pro controller by holding home until it rumbles right?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

parallelodad posted:

I don't even hold it, just a press.

1/2 a press

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

loving hell I'm going to have to buy MK8 again. 200CC right out of the box and battle mode looks awesome :pcgaming:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've barely touched the main zelda quest line cause I'm too busy doing all the other fun random stuff they jammed into this game. Zelda is crazy good.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mahoning posted:

For large swaths of this game, BotW feels nothing like a Zelda game. Then you'll come across a goofy character with a goofy storyline, or enter a new area and hear some familiar music, or you'll be looking around on the map and see a mountain or a lake named after a character from an old Zelda game (or just flat out named after an old Zelda game) and you feel that overwhelming feeling of nostalgia and HOLY poo poo THIS A ZELDA GAME.

GotY.

Idk Having a giant map to just poke around in, finding neat stuff, and not being on a guided track like TP & I assume SS was feels a gently caress of a lot Zelda. We got too used to mediocre installments.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

nerd_of_prey posted:

Was wondering if anyone knows whether you can play Mario kart 8 with a single joycon? I ask because i am trying to justify purchasing the neon joycon pack on the basis that i will need more joycons for 4 player Mario kart. But really I am just jealous of the neon switch and want my own delightfully garish console!

They showed in the MK8D trailer doing table top mode with 2 people with a joycon each so yes.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

There's definitely going to be a game drought through next month. Until Mario Kart 8.

Weather the storm goons. It will be worth the wait so hard.

poo poo I might be done with Zelda by then

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

So the Switch is compatible with USB-C battery packs, right?

Probably. Maybe? USB C in general kinda sucks. If it's not a cheap low bid piece of garbage I'd feel safe enough.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mine has never used the HDMI cable that came with it and has been hooked up to 3 TVs now.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

What exactly is nintendo using their production capacity for. You cant buy a wii u, 3ds, 2ds, nintendo mini, or switch.

I bought the last 3ds at target near me and both of the last 2ds's. maybe all getting snatched up before 11.3 hits store shelf units.

Why did you buy 3 consoles?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Also I am weak and will probably spring for another dock. I have 2 TVs and use them both all the time. I"m currently doing what I was doing with my Wii U with having a spare HDMI cable and power at each TV so it was just a matter of moving the unit/dock. It's getting like why am I doing this just spend the money so you don't have to keep juggling all this crap around you can just grab the machine and pro and PLAY.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

3ds xl for me, 2ds's for my kids.

Wanted to get them all while they still had 11.2 firmware in the stores.

Guessing cause the 3DS is hacked to hell and back ?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mahoning posted:

When it warms up a little bit and I start jogging outside again, I'm just going to load up the Guardian Battle track on loop since I'm now completely conditioned to run for my life as soon as I start hearing those piano notes.
It feels so so SOOOO good when you start fighting back against those assholes :potg:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Diabetic posted:

I've attempted several times to get a Switch to no avail, I was able to get one at launch but due to a miscommunication with my bank/credit card, couldn't buy it.

In my attempt to check inventory locally, I've been getting pretty consistent responses that Nintendo won't ship anymore until the first of next month due to them working on the issue with the joy cons losing sync/not functioning properly.

I wanna play Zelda so bad but I can't even find the drat thing on the Wii U. :(

Tomie knows me posted:

This is the universe telling you to go full digital.
Seriously. It's not like the price will drop or whatever just get it!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

General Morden posted:

i was having this discussion with an acquaintance of mine at work and he made the point that the switch came out pretty bare bones in terms of functions/capabilities that other consoles already have built-in (i.e. legit online services and poo poo like media playback) and he wondered how nintendo got away with it. he stated that if microsoft or sony tried something similar, they would have been owned hard. so i thought about it some more and thought about how the switch was so successful (it sold better than the Wii), considering the state that it was released in.

We're all too busy playing Zelda to give a poo poo about these things for now.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm wondering what they're going to do with the Joy-Con issue from a marketing perspective. It's pretty obviously a problem with the design of the left Joy-Con and not a random defect, so it's on them, but I'm sure they want to avoid some big statement that could result in "SWITCH RECALL, NINTENDO CONSOLE DEFECTIVE" articles that could reach mom or grandma before Christmas rolls around. Seems like they're hoping everyone just calls support and that silently takes care of it.
Both my left joycons are fine so it does seem to be a manufacturing defect.

Actually let me double test that. Yeah even behind my back I have to get about 3m away before it cuts out. 6m it's still fine and at that point I have to get behind a wall. So the people who are failing at like 1m totally a defective con compared to mine.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Norns posted:

Grey or neon?

They are both gray. and I spoke too soon one of them totally doesn't do so hot. Not sure which is the one that came with the system and which one is the one I bought but one works a hell of a lot better than the other. so guess I"ll talk at Nintendo here soon and get it swapped.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I don't know why that's getting traction but I played the majority of the beginning of Zelda with airplane mode on and still saw plenty of framerate drops so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

There's two different things happening. One Zelda renders all the drat grass and in the starting area in particular this can just overload the game. There's a separate issue where the system gets hung up dealing with wifi when it shouldn't.

Once you get out of the starting area the framerate improves a lot.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Louisgod posted:

OH RIGHT, neglected to take into account that the joycons charge while docked and in turn likely aren't reliant on a wireless connection.

Switch is slick as poo poo. Outside lack of games, lack of anything in the OS, Neflix, browser, virtual console, background music, a scratch resistant screen, AAA 3rd party titles and good battery life, how can you dislike it?
I still think the battery criticism is a bunch of nothing...otherwise lol yeah.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

I played probably 10-12 hours a day Sat/Sun/Sat/Sun, little bit before work each day of the week, some at lunch, and like 3 hours a night. I'm not sure where another 20 hours came from. I didn't take days off from work and I'm pretty sure I slept?

Either your memory is a little off or the electronic thing with a built in clock is logging hours funny.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Also for those keeping score I called Nintendo and told the lady I got a busted con and since I had a 2nd one that was working a lot better it's gotta be the controller, so I bypassed all their troubleshooting that way.

It was the one that came with the system too. I still had the packaging from the ones I bought. The system menu shows the serial number for the cons when they are connected and that number didn't match either bag I had.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

man nurse posted:

Well, I beat Zelda. Guess it's time to leave my Switch in sleep mode until Mario Kart comes out. :negative:

If you don't have a 100% file you didn't beat it :colbert:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Macintosh HD posted:

I thought any accounts on a system are linked in some way to promote shared purchases. I remember something about them being unlinked when you deactivate a system/account pairing. Or something.

Work In Progress / Who the gently caress knows!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Year 1 and you'll have
- New Zelda
- Mario Kart
- New Mario
- Splatoon 2 to a lesser extent
- A very nice indie catalogue

All leading up to the holiday season. It's gonna sell like hotcakes.
If they manage a Smash Bros port pre-christmas? Hoooooooo boy.
Lesser Extent?! Game sold as much as a Mario game. Get out of here with this ignorant garbage.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Splatoon is amazing if you play all your games on a console that never gets any other competitive shooters.

TheScott2K posted:

I hear a mouse can be quite good at that
Can't even keep the trolling straight for 2 posts loving LOL

Edit: All other console shooters are trash because dual sticks are terrible, gyro or mouse or get out with this garbage.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

actually this segues into a question: how many people just had a really poo poo time with the gyro controls in botw

it felt like a step backwards from how well it worked on the 3DS zelda remakes and I'm not sure if it's "smaller, less sensitive gyro because joycon size" or if the right joycon with my system was also hosed, just not in the same way as the left

The gyro works fine but for some damned reason Zelda "clicks" gyro movement to a minimum amount. You can see this best when zoomed in with the state,that any movement jumps like it's on a grid not moving pixel by pixel. At normal camera it feels right. Splatoon on the Wii u didn't do this far as I can tell.

Zelda resetting gyro on stick use explains some things. Splatoon let's you put both inputs in at the same time, even to the point of conflicting ones will keep you still.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 15, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Earth Table posted:

what i don't get about the m+kb/joystick debate is that on either one you are , with few exceptions, playing with people who have the same control method. like, it's fine.

Console shooter people hate being reminded their games have to fix their aim.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

MK8 is the kinda game you want digital so it's always there.

Edit: and yeah I got zelda on a cart cause after I"m done playing it...eventually...it won't be the kind I will randomly pop back in I'll be playing Splatoon or Kart or new stuff instead.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 16, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Can confirm the amFilm/Case are good products and was happy to get them

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can't believe I wasted a couple minutes going through the last couple of pages instead of tackling these dozen guys guarding a tower in Zelda.

Maybe cause I grew up at some point I don't get the impulse to go read about things I don't care about/hate. That seems like a sad thing to do with one's self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Wii U was great if you like Nintendo stuff, but that better do it for you cause games from everyone else generally didn't happen. Probably a lot to do with why Nintendo is going hard after Indie stuff now and hopefully keeping the trash out this time.

• Locked thread