Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just a heads up

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5x71ym/psa_nintendo_switch_uses_usb_pd_power_delivery/

According to this, the Nintendo Switch is confirmed to implement the USB Power Delivery specification. Keep that in mind when looking for 3rd party chargers. USB PD is NOT Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 or 3.0. USB PD is its own standard, most commonly found in Google's Pixel phones and, iirc, some Macbooks.

e: I should also mention that, afaik, USB PD is a standard only supported over USB C, as well. USB A > C cables and USB A chargers/batteries do not implement USB PD on those ports.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

skog posted:

I'm thinking of buying another charger to use in my bedroom but can anyone confirm if an ipad brick + USB-C works for charging?

Does the ipad use USB C? The charger would have to support the 15v mode.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Went to secure a pro controller at the midnights. Walmart had everything put behind their Switch line. Abandoned that 40+ line to the gamestop across the street. Much fewer people when I arrived and they had the controller, so that's good. Heavy nerdsweat smell though, judging by the sign on the door some of them might have been waiting there since 8 PM stinking up the place...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Naw the DS was going to be "The third pillar" alongside the Gameboy and tv consoles. Then it took the gently caress off and bye bye Gameboy.

This. If the Switch ends up selling like hotcakes, there will be no *DS line.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a plastic screen.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

solarbeam posted:

just wait for hori's screen protector

Isn't it going to be PET Film?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And Mario Kart 7 is a close second.

Mario Kart's been really loving good lately.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

man nurse posted:

Because it looks and runs better undocked, apparently. Which is cool and all except the battery life is poo poo, and I have no interest in taking this thing on the road anyway.

Zelda does, anyway.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soul Glo posted:

The framerate on Zelda is worse docked because it upscales from 720 to 900

It doesn't upscale. It runs natively at 900p. That image is then upscaled to 1080p for output to the TV.

The unfortunate part is setting your TV output to 720p doesn't change the native resolution in docked mode, it downsamples to 720p. It still runs at 900p, which means you get the same slowdowns.

man nurse posted:

Like, I kind of expected native 1080p at this point. C'mon Nintendo, what are we doing here?

I guess my beef is that this thing really doesn't serve well as a handheld OR a console. Both sides are compromised.

Please. Even the PS4 and Xbone don't do 1080p properly.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inzombiac posted:

Zelda
You can have a sphere and cube bomb out at the same time.
This changes... well, not everything but it's cool!

That's actually required for a shrine in the desert

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You're comparing apples to switches?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Did we ever get a consensus on which one to get?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I do want to note that the Switch is essentially the PSP. Home console-quality games/horsepower with convenient TV output. And I loved the PSP.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Controllers, for one.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Bloop posted:

I think framerate nerds might be just repurposed delusional audiophiles.

Zelda looks fantastic on my bigass TV.

Get your eyes checked :colbert:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SlayVus posted:

Anything higher than 15v is potentially damaging to the Switch itself.

If both the charger and the device implement USB PD properly, the Switch will not request anything higher than what it can accept, and the charger will not supply anything more than the Switch wants.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Infinitum posted:

Time to hop on a train and play some Zelda.

Lets see how long the battery lasts! :toot:

2.5-3 hours on Zelda.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Infinitum posted:

Lets see how long Zelda lasts in airplane mode + low brightness :toot:

I think they got just over 3hr with that.

Somehow it looked like there wasn't a lot of variance in battery life, most of the drain was from the game itself it seems.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The switch is definitely a portable and I love it

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People use the Switch in TV mode?

Weirdos.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

deadwing posted:

get a load of this guy who has apparently only ever used a dualshock

How many controllers have the D-pad above the sticks? There's...the Dualshock/Six-Axis line....and...PSP/Vita?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

parallelodad posted:

Yes. The trick, and this should maybe go in the OP, is you DO NOT press the button. You just release the lock. In the strap, you forget about the button. The reason it's so hard is because it's impossible to get leverage when you're trying to press the button. The strap doesn't use it as its locking mechanism. Just release the lock, grab the strap and joycon firmly with each hand, and slide the strap up.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22334/p/897

There's a ton of articles online talking about this on various tech sites and all of the articles are wrong and tell you to press the button. Forget about the button, that's just for detaching from the grips and console itself.

Sounds like you're not clicking them in all the way?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you're wondering about chargers and what to look for with the switch:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption/2

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, but the glass ones are ten thousand times easier to get on right the first time than the dumb assed plastic ones. Also, they're better

:yeah:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

OP might want to stick a link to http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption in the first post, because it's kind of a master resource for figuring out if your power adapter or power pack will work well with the Switch.

The tl:dr (as I understand it) is that the Switch tablet itself should charge just fine with a 15v/2a charger, and pretty much any USB C cable (2.0/3.0 doesn't matter). A common 5v/3a USB C phone charger will probably work okay with the Switch, but they won't really charge the battery while you're playing, they just supply enough charge to stop the battery from draining. Even though the AC adapter that ships with the Switch is a kind of weird 39W, the tablet itself only uses up to 30W. The remaining 9W are for the dock to charge whatever is plugged into its USB ports.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and don't blame me if your Switch blows up from using 3rd party chargers / cables!

My Pixel XL charger does 5v/3A and 9v/2A USB PD, and seems to charge it quickly while playing Zelda.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

akadajet posted:

Don't apply a screen protector. They are all trash garbage and look like poo poo.

Hi grandpa, how's 2004?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

akadajet posted:

funny, I associate screen protectors with soccer moms and "grandpa"s

Like I said, 2004.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Infinitum posted:

TIL if you HOLD the Home button you get a Quick Access Menu that lets you:
- Put console to Sleep
- Adjust Brightness (When not in docked mode)
- Turn Airplane mode on/off (When not in docked mode)

Don't they tell you this during setup?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I charged mine for several hours before use and only played for a couple hours.

How do you see the joycon battery level? I assume the grip lights but is it just less lights=bad?

It's in the system menus, I believe the one where you sync and order controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's the best 3D Zelda we've had since the N64.

• Locked thread