Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Rad Valtar posted:

Guys the Nintendo Switch Rad Valtar Christmas Miracle is real. Walked into Wal-Mart this morning to pick up some bacon. Decided to check Electronics and saw zero Switch on the shelf so I talked to the store associate who I have known that has worked there for 20 years. He said they didn't have any in stock but then as I'm checking out at the front he's runs up and says they have one that was being held for Preorder that never got picked up and was cancelled. They also had 4 pro controllers so I grabbed one as well. Today is a great day.

Edit: Morale of the story be nice to retail workers.

Treating retail workers like human beings owns IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Feenix posted:

What is the suggested memory card that I can get?

MicroSD

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Conversely, I think when a retail employee says they're out of stock you should say "oh well, thank you for your time" instead of being a huge weirdo suspicious of anyone who works for a wage

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you always remember to say please and thank you eventually a Target employee will give you a key to the Stockroom of Avalon, a magical place full of rare amiibo and NES Classics

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah, hold the home button for a few seconds and it works. I find it unreliable at waking the console otherwise.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

NormenKD posted:

The Switch is my first Nintendo console with amiibos, so a general question:
Are they somehow tied to your console/save/account ? Could multiple people share a single Link amiibo and scan it occasionally on their consoles or even on different accounts on the same console?

The Switch hasn't asked me to register amiibo in any way, unlike 3DS or Wii U. I don't think anything is stopping you from tapping your toys on someone else's console.

More complicated amiibo interactions require saving and reading data to the amiibo and I'm not sure how that works across accounts and consoles but I'm not aware of a Switch game that currently uses that.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 13, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Don Lapre posted:

What exactly is nintendo using their production capacity for. You cant buy a wii u, 3ds, 2ds, nintendo mini, or switch.

Ramping up for the Nintendo Bread release

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The only pancakes I'm seeing are when I slam my hovercraft into a wall at hypertonic speeds in Fast RMX

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Why does the syrup carafe taste so bitter

Everyone lick your syrup carafe

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Track 10 - Great Fairy Kareoke Club Theme

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
More like Qui Gone amirite

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I guess that explains why I never saw them, I had mine in airplane mode with bluetooth on for battery's sake and since I can't just flip "airplane with bluetooth" without going into the system settings it's mostly just stayed that way

If you hold the home button while in game a quick menu opens where you can adjust brightness, enter sleep mode, or toggle airplane mode.

E: wait, bad at reading, I guess that also turns Bluetooth off.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Cartoon Man posted:

that Wipeout clone

FAST RMX

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What's the output of that brick?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
That should work well enough.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
My only regret is not getting the wind waker Link/Zelda amiibo combo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

koolkal posted:

How much is snipperflips

20 USD

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
No Minecraft or Netflix? What are people even gonna do with the switch?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You nerds act like Splatoon was some niche hit when it did Mario numbers

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

fivegears4reverse posted:

Lets be fair here, pretty much every "hit" on the wii u is pretty niche when only like 50 people own one world wide

Rest in peace, fat Wii

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Canned Panda posted:

My Joy-Con glitched while playing 1 2 Switch against my wife.

Why did you marry an octopus

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I just clipped several truck nutz to my trousers so I never forget

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Phantasium posted:

I scalped my Switch, to myself, to play myself, it was great.

How much money did you flip it for

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The presentation was great. We had that one guy demonstrate proper lazy gamer pose and a translator died on-air.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Call Nintendo for a replacement

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Prime is a great Metroid imo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I missed you, Stux

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Wii U version is the port, it doesn't even use the gamepad!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It finally happened to me. My brother put my joycon strap on backwards.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It seems like it should have been possible to engineer a design that couldn't be slid on backwards but what do I know. The affected joycon seems no worse for it, anyhow.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I am bothered that the best way to tackle the shield surfing challenge is to just go downhill normally and you get no bonus points for sick jumps and spins.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Is Nintendo CS offering screen repair on scratched units, or just the replacement dock?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Nice rivals.com pun

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

GreatGreen posted:

Is it possible to replace the Switch's battery?

IFixit posted a teardown and they had the battery out in pretty short order, but it's clearly not designed to be user-replaceable, definitely voids your warranty, and I don't know where you'd get a replacement in the first place.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

GreatGreen posted:

Oh cool, good to know that Nintendo designed their device so that your warranty is voided if you replace a part that degrades relatively quickly and actually should be replaced over time.

It's the same story with most phones and tablets on the market today, I'm afraid.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How long is the warranty? I didn't read anything while I was unboxing my Zelda machine.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Engineering constraints on mobile devices are very tight, friend. It would have been very difficult to design a proper battery bay while still using the back cover as a heat sink without making the device fatter.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's bullshit because you could just have the ribbon cable terminate with contacts so the user wouldn't have to mess about with it, basically how the 3DS does it.

3DS has a big plastic firewall keeping battery-replacing customers away from electronic doodads and extremely modest cooling requirements. If you implemented the same design in the Switch you'd inevitably end up with a fatter design and now you'd have to work out somewhere to dump the heat you were putting into the back of the case.

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with anything here, but I think the shorter version is that Nintendo rushed the Switch out and didn't really take time to consider things like battery replacement.

There are a number of things that I think would have been caught and fixed with more QA time (friggin joycon straps!) but most phones and tablets on the market don't have a battery bay for a reason.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

s.i.r.e. posted:

By "big plastic firewall" you mean a thin piece of plastic?

Yes, large enough to make a place for that bigass battery, in addition to a cover, a retaining spring, and some kind of feature to keep your customers from putting in the battery the wrong way. The loss of a heat sink is more important, we already know the Switch can put out a lot of heat in the current configuration. Every cubic millimeter of this device is spoken for and every additional feature means making a sacrifice somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you're on the fence about Voez it's worthwhile to download the mobile app and play some of the free songs.

• Locked thread