Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ugh I hate having to pick between physical and digital games. Digital is really convenient especially for multiplayer poo poo but that's literally the only thing going for it. Physical is cheaper, satisfies my dumb collector lizard brain, and can be shared/resold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Detective No. 27 posted:

The more beer I drink, the more likely I am to buy this NEO GEO golf game.

Same but bourbon and that tapping rhythm game.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

lelandjs posted:

Have the people complaining about not having Switch games to play in the period between now and ARMS/Mario Kart not played Binding of Isaac? Because it's a giant timesink of a game with near-infinite replayability.

I played my fill of the original Isaac that cost $5 however many years ago it was that it came out.

I'm thinking about grabbing voez but the soundtrack and general aesthetic is totally not my thing.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Dr Cheeto posted:

Download the phone app and play some of the free songs if you're curious.

I did! The game is really fun but the songs just do nothing for me. I do need a new rhythm game though, I'm kinda burnt out on Rhythm Heaven Megamix.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
lol, just lol if you sincerely use the term "IP" and you don't work in marketing.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there a source for the "bigger carts cost devs more money" claims or is it wild speculation?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Getting mad about a thing that you literally made up is dumb and a waste of time.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rocket League better be getting a flawless Switch port. And Spelunky.

But the switch doesn't have analog triggers.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Laughing with my wife (who is a model by the way) at people being mad at rain and breakable weapons in Zelda as they don't recognize the brilliance of interlocking systems overlapping to force the player into tense, dynamic encounters and situations beyond their control, requiring quick thinking and adaptability to overcome, thereby increasing the fun factor from 4.5 to 5 out of 5. Just lol.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Pretty much any controller these days is really good, except the Playstation ones. I wish the Switch Pro had analog triggers with a click at the end though. Also I've seen people complain about Nintendo switching the X and Y buttons around but it's like bitch grab a SNES controller lmao.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I would buy so many old games that I already have if they had a sliding scale based on what console it was on that capped out at N64 games being like $5.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Infinitum posted:

Why the gently caress are you nerds talking about emulators when you can be talking about Jackbox Party Pack 3?

My hype for that died when I remembered you'd need to still be connected to the internet to play. I still have 'em all on steam so I don't really see a need to buy it again on the switch.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I also assumed the charging controller had a battery in it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

enojy posted:

I don't mean to be a dick because I understand that this game was not bad at all, but I'm glad it's not real lol I just don't want to see the Switch follow in the footsteps of early PS4 and Xbone getting mostly remastered games for the first year or two.

I got some bad news for ya...

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

LethalGeek posted:

If you do any pc game stuff you can effortlessly use the pro controller there and be gone with Xbox's crap d pad

If you're buying a controller for PC gaming get one of those xbox one controllers with Bluetooth.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I wish the new (old) Mario Kart wasn't the same price as it was 3 years ago haha.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

jivjov posted:

This has the new Battle courses and the two DLC packs from the Wii U baked in.

You're right, I'm lucky it's not $100 because it has a mode that was in literally every other entry in the series.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

The Bloop posted:

I got a 50% discount by trading in my MK8 for $30

I feel pretty good about it.

These pants should be discounted because I bought pants three years ago and they were the same!

I had to buy JNCOs to carry my switch around in my pockets, so yes, actually I should get a pants refund via eshop funds as well.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

parallelodad posted:

Sometimes you gotta pay full price for a three year old game that previously came with a free game to do that.

also lol, yeah it was a better deal three years ago lmao. I'll buy it again because i'm a dipshit but it's funny that it's full price still.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The Last of Us remaster arguably had more improvements than Mario Kart will and came out only one year later instead of three and that was cheaper. I don't think Nintendo owes anyone anything, but their competitors do most things so much better than them it sucks to see them do dumb poo poo in comparison.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Finished botw, goat game, thanks to gamestop I can trade it in for a net loss of 3 dollars. I love this dead store.

But how will you play the dlc?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Also, now that we've actually played the game what do we think the dlc is gonna be. New map feature sounds like it could be a new collectible or type of structure to find, and a new dungeon sounds not great if it's gonna be essentially another Divine Beast. Those were by far my least favorite parts of the game. New game plus or hard mode sounds good as hell.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Wheany posted:

With all the nozzles

:vince:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I reinstalled the original binding of Isaac and didn't remember all the items and forgot that it doesn't tell you what they do. I dumped a lot of time into that but lol if I'm going to keep a wiki open when I'm playing a game. I finished my run at Mom and uninstalled.

Now, if they put Spelunky on the switch I'd buy that again.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

lelandjs posted:

Part of the fun of the game is learning what the items do and making choices based on the items you're given. "Okay, so orbital tears suck by themselves but if I get another item down the line that synergizes nicely with it, I'll be crazy OP... but am I gonna be able to make it out of this floor if I do take them?" (That was me last night, and no, I couldn't).

Sometimes you get an item that you don't know, and it's terrible, and it ruins your run. Sometimes you forget what Bob's Rotten Head looks like, you take it, and it ruins your run. That's part of the game. You're not gonna win every time, and sometimes it's not even your fault you lose.

Also Rebirth and the expansions make the game way, way better. I've tried playing the original flash version and I can't.

I totally get the appeal. I've dumped just shy of 100 hours into the original. I just don't have the patience anymore, especially if they've added a bunch of new items and secret routes and stuff. It eventually got to the point where it felt more like a slot machine, hoping to get cool loot on a run but was pretty unsatisfying overall.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

bef posted:

Getting real sick of posters that post out of ill-will. No one cares for your trolling

Yeah, stop loving lying about framerate issues.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Bill Barber posted:

That looks dumb as gently caress. The 2011(?) NBA Jam was dope though, especially 4 player. I wish they'd just make another one of those.

I can't really make out any kind of gameplay from that trailer. Looks like it might have a trick system like from NBA Street mixed with the simplicity of Jam. I'm cautiously optimistic.

It looks about as dumb as the last NBA Jam which ruled so I don't know.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there a way to play metal slug two player using a pair of joycons?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Takoluka posted:

*buys a Switch*
Guys, this thing is bad.
*the next day*
Goodness, it is very not good!
*one week later*
Yup, it's still bad!
*following a month-long daily diatribe about the Switch being bad*
Gosh, can't people just state their opinions!?

Put them on ignore if you care that much.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Do I need anything besides the serial number on the bottom of the switch to set up a joycon repair. I have a picture of it on my phone and was planning on calling them today during my break.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Astro7x posted:

Nope, that's all you need

Sweet. Been using my pro controller mostly but it sucks when people want to play 1 2 Switch, and I want them to be working for when Arms comes out.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Earlier in the thread I said I had almost 100 hours in the original BoI but Steam says I have 19 so :lol:

After you it clicked for me it just felt like a slot machine that took 30 minutes to let you know if you won or not and I got real done with it. The power curve is really well done and makes you want to play one more, and the characters are a cool way to switch things up, but I really didn't like the basic shooting. There were a lot of times I was standing opposite an enemy trying to get just the right amount of curve on my shots and missing over and over and it was really tedious.

The game is nothing like Zelda despite the cosmetic homages.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm going physical because its cheaper and carts are neat. I kinda wish that something like they tried with the Xbox one launch where you could install from physical media and have to check in every once in a while had caught on though. If they just tied a CD key to the cart or something they could even allow you to trade them or sell games back or whatever.

Not that any company would do anything that cool though.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Called in to get my joycon fixed and the guy asked at the end what game I played the most so far.

"Zelda"

"Of course"

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Have any exclusives come out since launch? As far as I can tell the only things on here you can't play other places are Snipperclips, 1 2 Switch, and Fast RMX.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

parallelodad posted:

Graceful Explosion Machine (timed), Voez(console exclusive), Mr. Shifty Thursday (timed).

So no.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

parallelodad posted:

That was a launch game. The question was "since launch".

No, I totally forgot Bomberman.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I mean everything since the Wii and DS has been hacked to hell allowing easy piracy. I don't really blame them for not wanting hackers to run exploits enabling piracy.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

parallelodad posted:

eShop will be down for maintenance tomorrow so I wouldn't be surprised if they're putting up something related to the direct.

Fingers crossed for a detail of their online/VC plans. I'll be bummed if they put out an Arms demo as I just sent in a joycon for repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ah gently caress I just realized MK8D is gonna be the first Mario Kart game my little bro is gonna buy on his own so I HAVE to get it to play online with him.

• Locked thread