Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Picked mine up from Walmart. I was a preorder, and the second preordered one to arrive when I got there at 11, so I was allowed to skip the line and get my system second.

Downloading Zelda. Took about 5 minutes to get to 5%. So that's hopefully... 100 minutes? Dunno if I'll stay up long enough, to be honest. I'm taking tomorrow off anyways.

I'm about to print this on my 3D printer, to see if it functions well with a real unit. (The Ocarina of Time that I started printing since 6pm just finished a couple minutes ago.)

edit: My Walmart was selling games and accessories, but they wouldn't sell them to the preorders until the people who've been waiting in line before us got theirs. Fair enough, we only preordered the system. And I don't mind, I don't plan on getting any other hardware or physical games. My case for the system is arriving today, and my screen protector comes next Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
20 minutes in, Zelda download at 33%, so the servers are holding up well so far.

Dehry posted:

The switch has cooled down significantly after the fan kicked on. Interesting that it waited until then.

I had heard speculation that the fan would likely only be used in docked mode, that when in portable mode it likely wouldn't use enough power in the GPU to need the fan.

Well, that's speculation for you.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

FireMrshlBill posted:

If those dpads work out, I'll buy one off of you

The model isn't ready to be used yet. The sphere in the center of the mod is too tall, so that there is no tight fit with the buttons and the mod, and instead there's a lot of give. In fact, it goes beyond having 'give' and it just doesn't really lock into the buttons, and slides around.

Hopefully the guy who designed this mod is getting a Switch on release day, so he can make revisions and get this working.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Louisgod posted:

So maybe it's just me but when I first put in Zelda early in the day the first area definitely did sputter a bit (handheld mode). Now that I downloaded the day one patch and the update to the game I'm seeing zero slowdown in the starting area, both handheld and TV mode.

Am I seeing things? Game definitely seems smoother now. Also holy gently caress it looks stellar on the TV.

You're seeing things. Because I have the digital download, I've only ever played it with the day one patch. I get the same kind of slowdown that has been mentioned.

Well, it's not so much you're seeing things. The slowdown is situational. The three factors seem to be monster count, effects, and grass. The slowdown is noticeable early in the game because there is a patch of grass really close to the beginning, and it seems like you can reproduce lower framerate there.

Decius posted:

I love Zelda, but it doesn't look fantastic, especially on TV. The textures look low-res and are blurred out only half a screen from Link. Gameplay is fun, style is great, but in terms of image quality, it's bad.

I disagree. I've been playing pretty much exlusively PC games over the last five years, and lately I've been gaming on a 1440p monitor with a 1080GTX card. Point being, graphic fidelity and performance is really important to me.

However, it is not end-all be-all. I have no complaints with BOTW. Yes, there's slowdown. Yes, the textures are lower-res than my PC games. The art design is fantastic though, and more than makes up for it. The problem with quality and performance is when it draws you out of the game. The opposite occurs with BOTW. It continues to pull me in.

And I've barely played it in handheld mode, too. I mean, haven't really had a reason to. I've been nailed to my couch the entire day. I plan to get an oil change tomorrow, though, which I purposely put on hold a couple weeks to do it this weekend.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I had been planing to put a stencil onto my plain Switch case, but then I realized I could use my 3D printer to get an embossed design instead.

Messier than I would have liked, but the logo itself is supposed to look worn, so I guess it works out in the end.

I am also going to print a belt clip so I don't have to always carry it in my hands when I take it out with me. At the moment, I'm printing a earbud wire wrap that I edited to include a Triforce design. I've been looking for a good Joycon grip replacement, this is the best I've found so far.

I'm going to try to edit this design tonight to be more comfortable. This is a good start, but I think you still need an ergonomic grip for your palms.

Finally, I plan to paint my Joycons yellow.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Nephzinho posted:

That is a great joycon cradle tweak (though I would have put the angling the opposite direction, personally). I hate using the cradle because getting my thumb to the joystick feels like I'm doing the claw.

Exactly what I plan to do with my redesign. But you still need something to rest your palms on, too, and that will be much harder for me to pull off.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
You might remember about a week ago I showed a picture of a Joycon grip I 3D printed. It has the Joycons slide in at a bit of an angle, but it doesn't have any actual 'grip' on it. Beyond that, I find the original Joycon grip lackluster because of its size. For an adult hand, if you rest your palms on the grip, then you can't reach the bottom buttons/stick with your thumb. I waned to fix this. You know what controller I think does have a nice grip?

This is a quick hack to put Joycons into the body of a Steam Controller. I have no experience with CAD programs, I used a web-based program from Autodesk called Tinkercad. You pretty much just add, or more importantly, subtract, to models. This allowed me to essentially stick models of this custom grip, with accuate models of the two Joycons inside it, into the model of a Steam controller, and subtract it out the Joycons to make space for them. That's pretty much all you can do in Tinkercad, there is no ability to really modify the model beyond the addition, subtraction, and basic resizing, hence why the back buttons are still there.

I haven't played with it yet, but quickly holding it in my hand, I think there is a lot of promise here. It is very comfortable to hold, and easy for my thumb to reach everything it needs to. The one problem with this current design is that the shoulder buttons seem difficult to reach, but I think that can be fixed easily by shaving off the top corners of the model. If anyone is interested, I'm going to play some Zelda to see how it works actually using it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Just played a little Zelda, and it worked as well as I thought it would. Comfortable, easy to use, but yeah, the shoulder buttons are a problem. And I just realized that the fix will be a little more complicated. It's not that the top needs material shaven off, that is true, but the way you hold the grip, it makes it so that the comfortable resting spot for your index fingers are about an inch behind where the actual shoulder buttons on the Joycon are. I think the Joycon dock in the center needs to be angled on two axis instead of just the one. Not quite sure how I can pull that off, though.

Dieting Hippo posted:

i've been looking to use my 3d printer to make a joycon grip for a little bit now and havin' a steam controller grip sounds dope. do you have a download link for the 3d print?

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/7KzxPve5b87-steam-switch-grip/editv2?sharecode=S5ouXceTdTcz8X5lVf55mAxOaij1D4TQmzMlU5wSuZE=

This link will give you access to the original design on Tinkercad.

ethanol posted:

My dude,that looks rad. Cad modeling is very easy and fun, i think you will enjoy it. However, this method that you're using, is very interesting. Where did you get the original models for the
controllers?
I'm fine with the joycon grip, but you've made me consider making my own 3ds grip with my friends 3d printer and it'd be way easier to start with some actual controller models

This is the Joycon dock I based this off of: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2173035

The Steam controller: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1999283

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just realized they could port every title from the Wii U to the Switch with very little effort

How do you figure? The two systems are based on different architectures, PowerPC vs x86.

Spellman posted:

A design problem I see with this is that it amplifies the biggest problem with the joy-cons: the unnatural gate between your thumb buttons and stick. I think the joycons should face outwards, rather than inwardly which would be closer to a standard game controller

Yeah, that's something I had considered as well, I may try it in my second version.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Second version of my work-in-progress 3D printed grip based on the Steam controller. The Joycon dock lower and deeper into the model. This allows the index fingers to comfortably rest on the trigger buttons. Also, the slight angle allows the thumbs to move more naturally downward.

Still some work to be done. In moving the Joycon dock deeper into the model, the grips aren't as big, so they don't rest on the palms like the original Steam controller does, or how the first version of this grip does. That may be acceptable, though, since now you grip the grip using your fingers, which I think feel pretty good. Might still play around with that design, though. Beyond that, I have to start smoothing out the hard edges. I'm starting to learn Fusion 360, so I'll be able to move on from using the rudimentary Tinkercad.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
This will be my first time playing Splatoon.

I've tried gyro aiming with the Steam controller, and it can sometimes work as supplemental, to help with more precise aiming in games like the Division, but I really don't think using full gyro will work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Anyone have opinions on the 8Bitdo controllers? When I saw that they were Switch compatible, I got the NES30 Pro off Amazon.

Is this a bad controller, or am I wrong? The d-pad feels good (don't have a game that can really test it), but the rest seems problematic. The buttons are sticky, and the sticks feel too loose.

• Locked thread