Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My switch is in a box in my bag and I am just packing up to go home from work before I take it over to Lady Videogames later.

It is a really good and informative OP. Also, I only change thread titles when threads start posting really, really badly. Hopefully this one will not suffer like the last two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Now that I have played it for a few days, I can confirm the Switch is excellent.

As a handheld it is unmatched. I am truly surprised at just how comfortable it is and how good it looks. I look forward to all manner of funky joycon addons and games. Plus, if it truly is similar to the 3DS, then homebrew emulators would be so very sweet.

Docked mode is ok. The UI is a bit fluffy with the upscaling and playing the games on the TV is nice, but I just want to return to handheld mode all the time. I didn't realise I'd enjoy it in that mode as much as I do.

I am very excited to see where Nintendo goes!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

So I'm here to see if the Switch thread is the new Xbone thread. Confirm/deny

People are allowed to be mean to the switch here, so I'd say no!
Also more people seem to have bought one.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If it helps, BOTW is technically my first Zelda and without any previous experience baggage I think it's fantastic. The art style is really nice and original. I wish there was more music, but the controls and abilities are awesome. I'm completely lost and wandering around bumping into people, but it's a very different sort of experience compared to "I need a mini map".

It's more, I'm a 100 year old amnesiac, where is everything, what happened to everything?! And that loneliness feels highly appropriate. I think the environment does a really good job of pulling you in and making you forget.

(In terms of previous Zeldas, I played the first dungeon in Legend of Zelda because I found it by accident and then I kept dying after I left it and didn't know where to go.)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
and man, what games?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would be hugely, hugely surprised to get Dark Souls on the switch. Even more so that a trilogy of all three would be ported.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It's not an expansion pack because it's got all that new stuff in the multiplayer plus has a full single player campaign. Unless we're calling Titanfall2 an expansion pack?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK. Please stop this endless arguing past each other about the demise of Nintendo and the failure of the switch. It has only been 1 week.

This is a topic to return to maybe in several months, but right now it is pointless and alienating.

You can like the Switch and admit it has failings. You can dislike the switch but admit it has some good things.

The extreme negativity/extreme positivity bickering is pointless and just makes people not want to contribute. Let's be better.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Lady Videogames and I keep having little snipperclips marathons.
It's a wonderful little multiplayer game and a real joy! Lot of laughing and sabotage takes place.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

quiggy posted:

Question about Switches and regions: I know the Switch isn't region-locked, which owns. I'd like to order a UK Switch because Amazon actually has those in stock, but I'm in the states. How compatible is it with American electronics? Does it come with multiple different AC plugs so I can plug it into my wall, or will I need to invest in a UK/US converter (or worse, will I need to buy a specific US plug from Nintendo)? And I know the UK is PAL while the US is NTSC, will that cause a problem when outputting HDMI to my TV? Is there anything else I'm not thinking about that will cause problems?

As someone with a UK switch, it comes with a UK plug. You will need to buy a plug convertor or an american charger.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

quiggy posted:

Cool, thanks. Do you know about if there are format issues over HDMI between the two regions? I've never futzed about with European electronics before so this is all new to me.

Most likely there would have been in the old days, but nowatimes I think TVs and electronics auto calibrate.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fallendragoness posted:

I so recently bought the Nintendo DS, I'm sad that this came out to usrurp it! ;_; Does it past integrate with old games or only new games produced for the switch?

Ho ho! cheeky re-reg. ;)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Good grief Toejam and Earl looks ugly when rendered like that. I am not a fan.
I would hope there is a demo so I can at least check it out, but my first impression is disappointed. I loved the original and wore out my megadrive with it back in the day.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Velvet Elvis posted:

Which is better for pooping? Blaster Master or Shovel Knight?

A toilet.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Switch version of BOI I am really hoping is good.
I like playing BOI on my vita, but it's not the updated version because Nicalis are bizarrely idiotic about it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Onean posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ contain a lot of bad decisions, based off of what I've watched of them, and that's from the original developer. (I kind of liked the gameplay of the original BoI, but the style completely turned me off of the game as I got farther in. I still enjoy watching it sometimes, but the new stuff, especially some unlock requirements and boss fight philosophies, looks awful.)

Oh I know what I'm getting into as I have rebirth and the expasions on my PC. I just want them portable.
Plus, because I am pretty bad at the game, I don't notice the bad decisions that much.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Meridian posted:

Someone gettin' mad about video games in here?

I irritate the world.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

whaley posted:

utnayan immediately shows up to prove you wrong

:bowtie:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Please let's not immediately mount a switch defense.
Those are all things someone might have trouble with and perfectly valid to mention here in the thread.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Wendell posted:

The screen is not utter trash by any measure, so opening with that, along with the generally unpleasant tone, makes dismissing the post easy and correct.

I don't agree with anything posted, but I can see how people used to other devices might feel that way.
There are plenty of big tablets out there with higher resolution screens that do look better.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Michaellaneous posted:

I am sorry, next time I will open my personal criticism and opinions with this:

"I have been a long time Nintendo fan and I play all games they make. I bought all of their consoles and love them to bits. But I have a few concerns about their newest console:"

That does help things generally. We are a polite forum! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am massively excited to buy Binding of Isaac.
That will be the switch power drain for me!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Utnayan posted:

Doesn't it come out today?

Good lord I hope so. I'm not at home so I cannot check yet.

Meridian posted:

I'm looking forward to Stardew Valley. Perfect handheld game.

This too. These are all games I often wish I could just sit on my couch or bed and play and now I finally can. Yeah they're not new or original and some people dislike that, but having a proper portable avenue to play them is. For that I am grateful.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Utnayan posted:

You never bought a 3DS or Vita? (I can understand not having a Vita, I bought one and regret it) but these games are perfect on 3DS and have been out for a while (Save Stardew Valley)

I have both a 3DS and a Vita.
Isaac is bad on both of them. On the 3DS it breaks and is all slow. And on the Vita Nicalis are incompetent mooks who won't port the patches or expansions across.

Plus, while the Vita is amazing to use and genuinely a better bit of tech than the 3DS, it didn't have nearly the same level of support.

I feel like the switch is a merging of the 3DS and Vita.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Utnayan posted:

The argument I am making is that Nintendo announced a double down on their switch production. So with an oversupply, with a drought of content as the system picks up speed and lack of most all services on the device for the next 5-6 months, they will be over supplied and the price will drop automatically.

Simple economics. Unless the counter argument is that somehow Nintendo is going to sell all of these units due to Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart. And that's assanine.

Please stop these crazy predictions and let history play out.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Two things.

1 - stop posting about other people's posting.

2 - when does the UK get eshop updates because I would like Binding of Isaac.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

U.K. Isn't getting BoI until April I thought

What the heck???

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If I create a new account for the USA thing does that mean I get another user on my switch? I don't know how the heck to do another account thing. Also why on earth would they delay Isaac?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

theyre perfect actually and youre a loving idiot for thinking otherwise

Do not begin this. Darkness leads this way. I'm giving you a friendly warning, Stux.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

oh but death threats are ok i guess? wow

I replied before I saw that post. No, death threats are not OK.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

ur fukken ded at gooncon

*thins eyes* Clever. Very clever.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

My dude, you posted this like nearly two weeks ago and no one called you out on it. But how in the heck did you get a Wii U, discover all sorts of great Nintendo games both new and old, and yet nearly entirely miss the Zelda series?

I did it purely by mistake. I'm not sure how but it was my own stupid mistake! It's OK though because BotW is something special indeed!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yes so much third party support that there is already one third party game!! And once they see how much it -no pun intended- bombs, they're surely going to jump on board!!!

Switch won't have any third party support unless a miracle happens. Devs don't want to keep developing for PS3, 360 level still especially since its way more work.

There's a reason why EA and Ubi isn't touching this thing at launch other than stuff that's simple to make (just dance, last gen FIFA).

You can start celebrating when Switch gets Madden or Assassins Creed.

Can we stop this kind of future doom prediction posting? I don't understand why so many posters are obsessed with saying that Nintendo won't have any third party games ever.

Surely we are too early into the lifetime to be this gloomy! Come back in a year when you'll know for certain. I was under the impression that the Switch had been designed to be easy to develop for and mitigate the lack of third party stuff that plagued the WiiU.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
NBA Jam Tournament Edition please. That would be a neat portable sports game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Why are you guys comparing Splatoon to COD or Battlefield?
Splatoon is a third person shooter where you shoot the arena. They're different games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Five good maps is always better than 20 mediocre maps.
I don't see the problem of releasing a good game with good quality maps (despite it not being as many as an established series) if the levels being played on are good.

Team Fortress 2 only released with 5 maps and that garned such a huge game playing population and received constant free updates. Same thing as splatoon.

I think comparing it to established franchises does Splatoon a disservice too. We could definitely lament how it launched if it was as bad as say a game like Brink. It didn't however. It did fantastically.

Also, it's not the same kind of game as the CoDs or the Battlefields.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

PAL eShop is getting the Tomorrow Corporation "trilogy" games this week, World of Goo, Human Resource Machine and Little Inferno. They're all €9.99/£8.99 each.

I would really like Binding of Isaac.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/842242404434481152

No date, but confirmation that it's also getting a retail release here.

If you really want it, it's fairly trivial to set up an NA account and get it off the eShop.

I don't want multiple accounts. I know that sounds weird, but I just want everything safe under the one place.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Stux is actually right on this one, Splatoon is very good but also should have had more maps at launch, it's not a controversial statement to say this and you don't need to spend pages arguing about it and attacking strawman versions of other (good) FPS games.

You statement contradicts itself. It would have been seen as bad if it didn't have enough maps. It was good because it had a small amount of tight maps as well as the replayability of them. That's why people are discussing why it's necessary to have lots and lots of something just for the sake of it. They're not strawman arguments either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Cmon dude, you know better than this.

Better than what? I am absolutely confused here. Splatoon was received well by all WiiU users and most reviewers. It has an attach rate of about 40%. If the lack of maps was an issue, it wouldn't have been so popular.

There are only five levels in L4D and that was so popular they made a sequel to it. Splatoon also constantly updated and had a version of single player for getting used to the controls. I don't get why only have five maps is such a sticking point when it didn't affect the quality.

• Locked thread