Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I actually planned to order pizza this weekend so I could get maximum Zeldaing in but now I'm kinda put off by that picture, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

An Amazon truck overturned today in Nashville, spilling packages out onto the interstate. So if you're in the South and delayed suddenly, welp.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

InFlames235 posted:

Looks like they definitely haven't fixed it yet then. Hopefully people from earlier in the thread were right that they can increase the maximum range of these things with a firmware update since ,supposedly, they set them purposefully lower than they could go for better battery life.

It's in the hardware per FCC filings. Nothing to do with software.

If I understood that post correctly which I might not have!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

Am I the only one having issues getting this thing connected to the internet? When running the setup it kept saying it couldn't obtain my IP, so I put everything in manually as best as I could. It says it connected, but when trying to do the system update it keeps saying can't communicate with the server...

If I do a connection test it fails, but if I do the manual setting it says it's connected. WTF

I've literally never had an issue with anything connecting to my router.

Power cycle it and try again. The servers are also likely getting hammered right now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Why is it bad as a TV console?

The framerate on Zelda is worse docked because it upscales from 720 to 900

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

man nurse posted:

Like, I kind of expected native 1080p at this point. C'mon Nintendo, what are we doing here?

Making a mobile console

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I just got home from work and opened my Switch.

These Joycons are tiny.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Feenix posted:

I'm afraid. I have big hands and the Vita never felt comfy to me. :(

I don't have huge hands, but I am a Grown Adult Man, and I used the Joycons to set the console up and then immediately synced my Pro controller. I don't think I'll ever use the Joycons unless it's for multiplayer, or for the few times it will go on a trip with me. The Pro controller is, by far, the best controller a Nintendo console has had since the SNES. I with the Y button wasn't so close to the right analog stick, and the back could be a little more contoured, but it's still a great controller.

Played an hour of Zelda, game is wonderful. Currently downloading Shovel Knight and I am Setsuna. Will have funds available in my account for when Blaster Master Zero hits the eShop.

This weekend is gonna be great.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Someone was asking about a teardown of the dock.

Here you go: https://www.fictiv.com/blog/posts/nintendo-switch-teardown

The speakers not being behind the speaker holes is pretty funny.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

enojy posted:

Are there any good hard cases for this thing yet? Seems like every case so far has problems.

I just bought the Traveler from Walmart. It's not hard, but tough enough that I won't worry about it tossed into a backpack. Also comes with two plastic cases to hold game cards, seems decent.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just did a stage of Shovel Knight on portable using the button d-pad-- worked a lot better than I was fearing. I thought it would be nigh unusable, but the buttons are so shallow that it's just a bit awkward instead.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BambooEarpick posted:

Switch buyers, have any of you had buyers remorse yet?

How hosed up of a person would I be if I didn't bother getting a screen protector for my Switch which I do not own yet because I can't find one?

Nope!

I never use screen protectors for anything, especially a console I'm gonna have docked most of the time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I didn't even unwrap my joycon bumpers 'cause using joycons separately are for chumps or people with multiplayer games.

Tender Bender posted:

I have a ton of cheap microfiber cloths for my glasses and devices, any reason why it would be a bad idea to cut one up and use doublesided tape to stick scraps to the parts of the dock that make contact with the switch?

Might get hot down there, maybe that could get funky?

You could also just accept that a device you use everyday with your hands is going to get some superficial wear and tear and not stress over it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Checking howlongtobeat and I am Setsuna. is 20 hours? Feel better about the pricetag now, at least.

I'm an hour in, but I love Chrono Trigger, so I'm enjoying it so far.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

But will the VC have portable games or home console ones?

Definitely home console games as Gamecube VC is on the way and the subscription service will include month long rentals of NES and SNES games with added online functionality.

We don't know about portable games yet.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I bet GC games are $12-15.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I know people were saying their system drains power faster than it can keep up using the charger while playing Zelda? I have been playing Zelda in handheld more for 2 hours now using the charger and it has been at 100% the whole time. I have the screen brightness up pretty high and auto brightness turned off. I have wifi off; not sure if that is why I can accomplish this.

What? Why would this happen? I've been binging Zelda docked without dropping a single point in battery.

Maybe they meant off a different charger.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I am loving the Switch. I am Setsuna is scratching some good itches and Zelda is GOTY so far.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

Does the pro controller support motion control? I also kind of dislike playing with the joycons+grip but I do like the fact that I can aim the bow in Zelda with the motion controls.

Yeah.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I like games that don't hold my hand like a big idiot baby.

When's Dark Souls coming out for the Switch?

A collection WAS rumored, so hopefully soon.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

All I can think about lately is "why am I not playing Zelda right this second"

It's a good feeling to have

Last night I was tired and could only play an hour so I played I am Setsuna.

The Switch is good, imo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

FireMrshlBill posted:

Oh man, I was doing a Google image search on the dock to get a better look at the rails (too lazy to walk upstairs and look at mine) and the number of images that had text "wondering" if the dock would have its own GPU for a better TV mode.... at their price tag for a dock, you would expect there to be one and usb-c has the data transfer rate to support an external gpu.... I'd pay $99 for a "Pro" dock with better gpu for TV mode. Though I can see issues going between TV mode and handheld mode with it not reverting properly to lower graphics or freezing.

But I really haven't seen enough slowdown in Zelda to complain really, the grass seems to be the biggest issue. NPCs don't cause slow down, nor do the flocks of Keese or having 8 Bokoblins on screen.

They would have to design games to use that extra GPU dock, which they haven't and won't, because why spend money on that dev time for something the majority of your userbase won't have?

Not to mention the dock as-is retails for $90 (60 for the dock, 30 for the included AC adaptor), so you're kind of fooling yourself they'd toss another GPU in there for $99.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Has anyone had to recharge their pro controllers since release

Not me.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Zaphiel posted:

Does anyone know how to bring up the map in Blaster Master? I've tried all the buttons.

There maybe isn't one? There wasn't in original Blaster Master.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Wiltsghost posted:

Highly recommend the switch pro controller. This thing is comfortable.

It would be perfect if the Y and B buttons weren't so close to the right analog stick, but yeah, definitely the best controller they've made since the SNES pad.

And before anyone corrects this, Wii Classic controller had the dumb Gamecube octagonal gates and the Wii U Pro controller's right stick was in the wrong place.

Also the GC controller was dumb and bad, I know one of you goofballs would pick that one.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Which is better Ocarina of Time or Breath of the Wild?

Discuss for 4000 pages.

It's Breath

A Link to the Past

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

bowmore posted:

Has there been a better launch title
than Breath of the Wild?

Super Mario World is literally a perfect game. BotW, while extraordinarily impressive, is not.

Same thing for Tetris.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Q_res posted:

Really? Because I've spent most of the game blown away by how much it reminds me of the original...

Yeah I have a feeling most of the people saying that came in with Ocarina. This game has so many enemies from the first game, it's great. Not to mention the moment to moment wide open exploration from the very first game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone have a problem with the B button either not working or thinking it's aways pressed? In Zelda, there are time where Link will run until the stamina goes away and then if I press the + symbol, I can't exit the menu. I'm thinking there's a flaw with the Joy Con but if there's a fix short of actually buying a whole new set, I'll do that.

First I've heard of this one, might be worth it to get into contact with Nintendo's customer support.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Another shortcoming of the Switch's hardware has been found

it involves butts

Well, there goes my plans for the night.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

There's definitely going to be a game drought through next month. Until Mario Kart 8.

Weather the storm goons. It will be worth the wait so hard.

Lol, yo, I'm playing Zelda and I am Setsuna. now, got Dishonored 2 and Nier Automata on deck, going to pick up Mass Effect, Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5 in the coming weeks.

What drought? I'm drowning over here.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Localisation takes time

They could probably localize what's in that game in a long weekend

What's more likely is this is part of what Reggie meant when he said they would have consistent big releases throughout the Switch's lifetime rather than dumping all the games out at holidays and having huge gaps in the release schedule

They're drip feeding games out on purpose so you have a big-ish game to look forward to every month

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

How do you guys have so many hearts and stamina, I've only gotten three upgrades after like 20 hrs

I've spent most of my time getting towers and shrines. I'm at 13 hearts and 2 stamina upgrades, and I've only done the first dungeon so far.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

pissdude posted:

no its just a little slice of life from a retail worker (an alcohol retail worker, but the lessons here still apply)

When people ask if you have stock and you do you should just do your job instead, imo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

e: eh, it's not worth it

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Am I going to need to go for any particular speed on microSD card whenever it's possible to buy a switch?

I got this one and it's been fine so far, only have smaller games on it though, bought Zelda on hard copy, so I don't know how the load times on that one are.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Blazing Zero posted:

blaster master is a fun video game exclusively for the newest nintendo entertainment system, the nintendo switch

it's on 3ds too :colbert:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

InFlames235 posted:

Just played a good 5 hours of Zelda and being able to go into a much higher level place than I should be and find a way to survive is why I love this game. It's seriously as open as you want it to be and, even though it's really tough, you can definitely beat almost anything at any time you want. I'm looking forward to someone going straight to the final boss and defeating it with a stick :)

The first thing I'm doing after the credits roll for me is YouTubing just that

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The evidence does not support this.

They've been shipping them. There were reportedly two waves on launch weekend alone.

People just keep buying them before you can is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

You can't use wireless controllers while in airplane mode though, right?

• Locked thread