Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mahoning posted:

They should've called this game The Legend of Zelda: Side Tracked

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks Leading Way Off the Fucken Path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Puyo Puyo Tetris game the US is getting came out in like 2014. The one on the Japanese eShop is "Puyo Puyo Tetris S" and I guess has new stuff. The 2014 one certainly could've been a launch title, but eh, I'll live with the demo for a month.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Puyo Puyo Tetris has some interesting rumble effects... I was playing it muted while listening to a podcast, and the controllers do this distinct whistling sound when the boards swap between Puyo Puyo and Tetris. They also mimic the original Game Boy sound in Tetris whenever you clear a line.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nephzinho posted:

I am missing one shrine and I have no goddamn idea where it could possibly be. Hell, at this point I'm not even sure how to go about finding it WITH help. Maybe I should actually go finish the game or the random non-shrine related side quests I have left instead of spending 3 hours running around with no direction. And yes, I got the shrine in the castle.

I got the Guardian and archer Link. They're both really, really nicely done. Scanning anything into the game isn't worth the effort unless you're doing some kind of amiibo assisted speed run.

I found one a few ticks south of the hot spring in the northwest, by the top of the river (sorry, can't recall names of places...) it's visible through a crack in the mountainside, and it's the first shrine I couldn't even figure out how to get to. The crack is marked by the dock with a boat and two torches.

enojy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 12, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rand Brittain posted:

Am I going to need to go for any particular speed on microSD card whenever it's possible to buy a switch?

IMO go for the cheapest UHS-I class 10 card in the brand and capacity of your choice. I bought a Sandisk Ultra 128GB for $30, so a "slow" card, but everything loads plenty quickly. Avoid third party sellers; if you get one on Amazon, be sure it's sold by Amazon. Apparently fakes are a huge thing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

motherbox posted:

Has anyone had difficulties with waking their system up using the pro controller? When it's docked and in sleep mode, I try hitting the home button on my pro controller and nothing happens. I have to get up and physically hit the power button on top of the console.

It's been janky just a few times, might be poor line of sight to the dock. Any time I've consciously provided a clear path, it's worked fine.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

parallelodad posted:

Yeah actually multiplayer is no longer gated behind Amiibo, so you bought that for no reason.

Shovel Knight is the best amiibo, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

a.lo posted:

What is Retro making

Metroid Second Derivative

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mercury Crusader posted:

A new Donkey Kong Country game

I'd be alright with this. I'd actually prefer this.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Voodoo posted:

Man I really wish I could find one of these either online or in a local store. Gamestops, Targets, Walmart, and Toysrus were all bone dry when it came to in-stock cases (of any kind) over the weekend.

Yeah, it's dumb right now with the scarcity of accessories. I guess it makes sense that a whole lot of people want to buy a protective case for a somewhat fragile portable console. I got lucky and ordered one from Target when they randomly went in stock at 2 in the morning. Spent a few days prior trying to find it locally and had no luck.

The Bloop posted:

Track 8 - Calamity Groose

Please keep Zelda fanfic spoilers in the Zelda fanfic thread.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh, I guess play times are starting to show up on your profile today.

Uhhh welp I'm a goon I guess. I'm also only about halfway through the story of the game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BambooEarpick posted:

So I guess it was just one production run and that's it, huh? Man, I wish I got a Switch. Oh well.

Is Nintendo working on the New Switch U XL yet?

They're still pumping them out. I mean, I'm assuming that's the case, especially since early adopters are sending theirs in for screen repairs when their defective dock scratches the screen and getting brand new replacements back (minus their Zelda saves, owned)

I bet they'll be easier to come by early next month. Scalpers returning units they couldn't flip en masse in their 30-day return window, combined with supply from Nintendo.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DoctorWhat posted:

Since the A Button doesn't make Link stop moving, you can roll from B to X (or vice versa) over the A Button to do a running jump.

I just do a claw grip with the jump button on B. It's more for camera manipulation while running, but works for run & jump too. Works better on the Pro controller than the Joy-Con. Thanks Dark Souls for teaching me how to hold a controller incorrectly, the proper way.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Whoa, "kickstand mode" is way better than I expected it to be. I decided to give my battery a good drain today, since it's been docked like 95% of the time since I got it. Played a few hours of Zelda with a Joy-Con in each hand and I can't wrap my head around how good it feels, especially with gyro aiming in the right Joy-Con. Portable mode, kinda unwieldy, but Joy-Cons in each hand, awesome. Took out a huge multi-level camp of bobos in record time, just 360 noscoping them left and right. I might even be better at it this way than with the Pro controller.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bombadilillo posted:

Maybe challange runs could be fun? Seeing how underpowered you can beat the game. I don't know and the answers might spoil things for me.

I'm really satisfied with the way they set things up if you were to start a new game and just rush the castle, as a speed runner or masochist may do. No spoilers, but it's nigh impossible. Someone may pull it off eventually, but I'm pretty sure we won't see a "any% no upgrade tree branch only" run for years, if ever.

On that note, stay away from Hyrule Castle until you're ready to see the endgame. Like don't even go near it.

Rirse posted:

Surprise there been no leak impression on the Binding of Isaac release. I saw the copies we got at work today in the backroom, but they are street dated so I wasn't going to even try to buy it.

From what I've seen and heard, it's a solid port. I think there's a new gameplay video from PAX East that shows it running perfectly, and someone just bought the game early from Toys R Us and said it's perfect aside from the occasional bug where opening a door doesn't make the door opening sound.

enojy fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 15, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh I know someone's done it in under an hour, which seems pretty fast, I'm just envisioning trying it with a tree branch and 3 hearts and just can't fathom it. I'm really interested in seeing how they did it, but won't look into it until I beat the game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kashuno posted:

I don't predict there will be any supplies issues between May up until after black friday.

e;Unless Capcom ports MHXX to the Switch

I don't think a Monster Hunter game on its own would drive huge system sales outside of Japan. But in Japan? On a 720p portable? Good loving luck ever finding one in stock for years.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I bought Metal Slug 3 and it seems fine. Doesn't look or sound weird. Tons of slowdown in certain scenarios, dunno if that's "faithful recreation" or just lovely porting. I'll have to try it in portable mode later, because I didn't really buy it to play on a huge TV.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TheScott2K posted:

Splatoon is amazing if you play all your games on a console that never gets any other competitive shooters.

Nah, I've tried first/third person shooters on PS4. They all suck the same huge dick thanks to aiming with an analog stick with no gyro support for fine tuning.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hungry Computer posted:

I had to turn it off because it keeps drifting to the left, even while using my pro controller.

Calibrate ya'lls motion controls, because it should be rock solid. If that doesn't work, have it repaired/replaced.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

a.lo posted:

Do I gotta send in my left joycon to Nintendo for fixing or do I get some sort of credit

People are calling Nintendo's support number and getting them replaced. I think they're doing that whole accelerated replacement thing where they bill you for the cost of the replacement and refund you once they receive your defective item(s). I really don't know if they've properly fixed the issue yet, though, so I'm waiting a good month or two, or until they make a formal announcement about it. All components are warrantied for a year.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ugh Piyo Puyo Tetris is in the Coming Soon section of the eShop at $39.99. I thought digital was supposed to be $30?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Speaking of Voez, is there any lag? Like when you tap a note, does everything feel in sync, audibly and visually? I deleted the iOS version almost immediately because of the lag (on a 7+, so I doubt it was my hardware.) I've been playing precise rhythm games for an embarrassingly long time, so I'm really sensitive (burgin' even) to discrepancies in timing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Abisteen posted:

Non switch owner question unrelated to the very nice dick and balls. This screenshot looks good but a lot of the pictures and videos I have watched of this look like the brightness is turned up to max and there is no vibrancy to anything. Like this from eurogamer is an example of what I am seeing in a lot of screenshots and videos.

Is everyone just playing this with hosed up settings or what because I don't see the intense haziness in your picture.

I'm strongly under the impression that they developed and playtested this game exclusively on full RGB monitors, because there's clearly more contrast on the Switch's own screen. It does tend to look washed out most of the time on my TV, although it's less offensive at sunset and night time. Turning full RGB on makes it look better even though my TV doesn't suppprt it AFAIK.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cerepol posted:

did you even turn off the built-in lag compensation?

There is a calibration option that is set to +200ms/300ms or something in Voez phone version.
I turned it off (set to 0) on my 6P because I was getting that issue.

Anyways according to reports I've heard the option is not necessary for the Switch though I'm still unsure if I'm picking it up. I need to figure out how many songs their are and if it will get the song updates the phone version will (which interestingly enough has an unlock all songs button for the low low price of $115!)

Also the game gets hard in an interesting way once they start moving the lanes as notes come down.

Nope! I'll give the iOS version another shot, thanks for the tip.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Earth Table posted:

I have delusions of meeting people at bars in the NYC metro area and challenging them to kart races. Like Paul Newman in The Hustler but with video games.

Like a bar at an anime convention held at a hotel, right?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Having a bunch of those multiplayer and/or quick session games digitally would be cool, but then I realized many cases provide some means of storing a number of game cards. I also couldn't resist saving a bunch of money by preordering games from Best Buy with GCU and Visa Checkout discounts. It's a small sacrifice of convenience when each $60 game became like $38.

Pro controllers are in stock online at GameStop.

enojy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 16, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Physical only on PS4 for 30 dollars actually. On Switch it's 40 bucks in either physical or digital.

Is that the new price? Up until now, every place was saying the digital Switch version would be $30.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My 3DS is effectively dead since the Switch came out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Empress Brosephine posted:

I think you're mistaken as most kids still would perfer a PS4 over a switch and it will remain like that until switch gets call of duty and mine craft. Nintendo properties just aren't that relevant anymore in comparison to Minecraft.

Good, gently caress the kids.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yeah, Mario Teaches Typing numbers

How are you going to troll this thread so lovely yet you know about Mario Teaches Typing?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Why even factor in scalpers? The poor doh-dohs who have to resort to a scalper buy are still buying a Switch -- that's a sale. Even for the shittiest of scalper trash who have to return some/all of their unflipped consoles, I'm willing to bet those account for less than 1% of units sold.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Playin' Isaac now for the past hour or so. Seems like a perfect port.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Olivil posted:

So is it confirmed that BoI Afterbirth+ for Nintendo Switch is a "Good Port"?

Yeah, I haven't seen it dip from 60FPS once in an hour.

However, I did the daily challenge and it crashed trying to bring up the leaderboards. Now, any time I go to daily challenge, it tries bringing up the leaderboards and crashes fuckin lol. Maybe just an early server issue without a graceful exit put in place.

And rebooting the Switch didn't fix it so yeah, daily challenge is broken right now. The main game works without a hitch so far, though. I guess the saving grace of the leaderboards currently crashing is it's like a matter of 5 seconds from crash to playing again, so while it'd be nice to see this fixed soon, it's not currently a big deal.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 17, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For those that bought Isaac, have you tried the daily challenge yet? I did one and it crashed trying to pull up the leaderboard afterwards. Now, every time I try accessing the daily challenge, it crashes (presumably trying to pull up the leaderboard.)

Edit: never mind, seems to have fixed itself.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quidthulhu posted:

My Isaac cart did not show up the first time I put it in but the second time it did. Y'all have made me nervous now :ohdear:

Mine did that too. Hasn't happened since.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yeah the Switch is worth a $40 Amazon Fire (non-HD) tablet at best

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I like the part where he says the screen is "loving tiny" and that the thing is too heavy in the same sentence

Switch literally weighs less than a pound. Lol what a loving pussy

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Larrymer posted:

Shovel Knight looks goofy but I don't think I'd make it through it honestly. I'm not big on 8 bit games for some reason.

I'm not either, like at all, but I loved Shovel Knight. It's a special game. It keeps all the charm of early 90's games and does away with pretty much all of the lovely parts. Check out the first few levels on YouTube to get a good feel for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I didn't lie, I've had that frame drop and so have others?

I don't think it's a definite thing, because I've been to the womb like a dozen times already and haven't noticed a single frame drop yet.

• Locked thread