Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
My GameStop is the only one in the area not opening at midnight. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
UPS hasn't dropped off the Pro Controller yet so I've been playing Zelda with the Joy Cons and they are not bad at all. They're more comfortable in the grip but it's all very usable. I haven't noticed any desync or anything like that. If it matters, I applied the system patch (with the joycons connected) before doing anything at all.

Anyway, Switch is good, Zelda is good, Joy Cons are good.

For what it's worth, any framerate drop in Zelda has so far gone unnoticed by me. Before you rejoice, though, I typically don't notice it too much while playing games unless the framerate gets really really really low.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
UPS dropped off my Pro Controller and I had a chance to try Zelda with it.

If you can't find one right now, I don't think it's a big deal. I think I might even prefer the Joy Cons in the grip. Don't get me wrong, the Pro Controller is good... but I only bought it because a lot of initial impressions of Zelda implied that the Pro Controller is basically required to enjoy it.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Utnayan posted:

"Turn everything off electronic in the house. Including aquariums (lol they seriously said that) and you should have a fantastic experience when three or four feet away from the dock!"

Nintendo posted:

In most cases it will be enough to move these devices three to four feet away from the Nintendo Switch console and/or Joy-Con controllers

Utnayan posted:

You aren't getting a software update.

Nintendo posted:

Ensure your console has the latest system update.

Your reading comprehension skills are bad.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Utnayan posted:

You aren't getting a software update that corrects the joycon issue.

Solution: Buy a 70 dollar pro. :)

What if I told you I haven't experienced this issue at all?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

GI_Clutch posted:

Zelda is indeed good, and I enjoyed the two plus hours I've put in so far. I like how the "tutorial" doesn't really feel like one because you have so much freedom and it's just tiny pieces here and there. Control based things are usually just quick onscreen instructions. Other things send you exploring to find it on your own, but you can get sidetracked like crazy. I'm also a really good sniper apparently. I haven't had too many melee battles as I just keep picking everything off from a distance.

Yeah, it's kinda weird that some pretty important information is easily missed. I ended up having to head closer to the starting area again after 7 hours or so and came upon someone willing to teach me about making elixirs.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
So apparently the dock is scratching some screens. Since the Hori one is apparently a bust, what screen protector is the new champion?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
This console has some rough edges but I'll feel a lot better once a screen protector is on there.

Joy Con desync? Doesn't seem to happen to me.
Can't power up with the Pro Controller? That's dumb but I guess I'm putting it in sleep mode like they intended.
Shape of power block? I guess they don't have power strips in Japan. Oh well.
Dock scratches the screen? Well, I guess that...w....what?

I can't fathom why they would allow the dock to scratch the screen. Mine has a microfiber cloth in there until this screen protector gets here.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
It does

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Curious if others have noticed this:

If I am playing with the Joy Cons and put the console to sleep, I am unable to wake the console using the Pro Controller. I can wake it with the Joy Cons.
If I am playing with the Pro Controller and put the console to sleep, I AM able to wake the console with the Pro Controller. I think docked Joy Cons can wake it no matter what.

It seems like maybe only the wireless controller you last used can wake it? Anyone else have this happen?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Blazing Zero posted:

i can wake the system with any controller wirelessly after putting the system asleep with anything wirelessly. i dont know why yours doesnt let you

e: everything is already paired, right?

Yeah... weird. I don't know if it's a factor, but any time I was using the Joy Cons, it was undocked and then docked with the Pro Controller.

EDIT: Do the controllers somehow unpair? I'm not disconnecting them or anything... just doing the usual "press L+R to select controller" business.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Nephzinho posted:

I'm just seeing "Started Playing 3 Days Ago" in that spot, does it take time to switch over to hours or do i have to press something?

Same for me. :(

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Phone posted:

"We're not going to make a game for a brand new platform with a massive increase in game scope and direction that only has a marketshare of a few million at best."

Pokemon X/Y didn't come out until 2.5 years after the initial 3DS launch. They just made more money than god with Sun/Moon back 4 months ago. We're 2+ years from a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch.

Sun/Moon probably benefited in a massive way from Pokemon Go's popularity.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

deadly_pudding posted:

I know this post is taking the piss out of the armchair Nintendo Shareholders here, but bolded for emphasis. I love my Switch, but if it had been a penny more expensive than $300, I would have bought the Wii U version of BotW and waited until summer.

If you want your device to be cheap, then it's going to sacrifice things like battery life and power.
"But deadly_pudding, I can get a PS4 for $250" Yes, and it's like 5x the size and power needs of a Switch and doesn't have a built-in screen.

Also the PS4 gets terrible battery life

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Rad Valtar posted:

Still can't find one of these. The Switch being an internet myth continues to be real for me.

Well according to Utnayan, you already have one and you hate it.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

ChocNitty posted:

The Wii U looked like the original Wii, and had almost the same name. Shoppers assumed it was just an updated Wii and passed on it. Informed gamers didnt buy it because it didnt have a killer app. Avid gamers passed on it when they learned that the tablet controller with the big screen was a cocktease. The switch is a correction of all those mistakes, and it's what gamers wanted the Wii U to be.

Historically, many consoles that launched with a killer app went on to have great runs. Atari and Pong. Super Mario and NES, Sonic and Genesis, Super Mario 64 and N64, Soul Calibur and Dreamcast (Dont start with me), Halo and Xbox, Wii Sports and Wii, now Breath Of The Wild and Switch.

I appaud Nintendo for having the nuts to try new things. Even when they fail miserably, like the virtual boy, they have a good cry, listen to some Fleetwood Mac, and they pick up the pieces and continue on and redeem the poo poo out of themselves and make a hit product like the DS Lite and Wii. They hosed up with the Wii U, and now they are redeeming themselves again.

The key to its success is for Nintendo to get games that take advantage of the hybrid design. The fact that a handheld can transform into a stationary display with 2 gamepads is so loving cool. People are going to have LAN matches on planes.

Plus developers don't need to do any wacky planning to deal with Nintendo's gimmicks the way they had to with the Wii U. For the most conservative projects, the Switch's screen can simply replace the TV screen and that's that. Some more ambitious projects might incorporate the touch screen, motion controls, or HD Rumble.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Mahoning posted:

Just found another benefit to the Switch. We had like 50 mph winds here today and after work I was playing BotW and the power went out. I just grabbed it right out of the dock and kept playing.

I would've forgotten I could do that and just got mad.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Ehud posted:

This screen protector is really good:

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempe...creen+protector

Comes with everything you need to get the screen nice and clean, goes on easy. I have one bubble in the top left corner where the bezel is. Doesn't affect the screen itself and I'll wait and see if it comes out over night.

Anyways, I recommend that kit. It's really nice quality. Now I don't have to be paranoid about the dock scratching my Switch yay.

Yeah, I also have this screen protector and it's good. I had an issue putting the first one on but the second one nailed it. I'm pretty sure the manufacturer will send a replacement for the one I hosed up on, too.

EDIT: Just watch out for cracking them. My brother texted me earlier and told me how he accidentally dropped the package and the two screen protectors cracked.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Dr Cheeto posted:

I just got my tenth shield slot so it's time to play Zelda's Pro Snowboarding

Yeah, that's why I haven't been riding the shields yet. Slots. Always slots.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Housh posted:

Hey guys stop going to Fry's and buying up all the HORI cases. Thanks!

This case is really good: https://www.amazon.com/Industries-N...switch+traveler

Amazon says 1-2 months but I found it at Walmart this afternoon.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Hey boss a guy came in looking to buy something we had in stock.

Awesome. Was he happy?

I have no idea, I refused to sell it to him because I didn't like the cut of his jib.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

chaleski posted:

"God its so annoying when people accuse me of hiding things in the back, after I've been hiding things in the back"

Seriously. "Guys stop thinking everyone is lying about the stock levels, btw here's a little anecdote about how I do that sometimes"

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Wheany posted:

So... is your plan now to annoy workers at your local Target even worse because some guy who claimed to work in a liquor store posted on an internet forum that some times he doesn't sell to people he doesn't like?

heck no i have a switch there's no time for going to target

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I noticed this with my own Pro Controller but now it works normally and I have changed nothing. Weird.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I always ask for a gift receipt so they don't think it's for me

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

LLCoolJD posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/12/14899094/toejam-earl-nintendo-switch-launch-date

The remake looks like something that Newgrounds would be embarrassed to publish, but maybe it'll work. I loved the original back in the day.

I can't wait for this. I hope it has LAN play

EDIT: gently caress Polygon's URL for that article. The last line in the copy is "While no release day has been set, Shorts said the game was expected to launch this year"

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Speaking of eshop giftcards, I bought one at Target last night but later noticed that it says "only for use on Wii U and 3DS"

Is it safe to assume the text on the card is simply dated and it will work properly with Switch's eshop?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

According to some quick googling, they should work.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, it'll work on Switch no problem. I bought an eShop card last week with no issues.

Cartoon Man posted:

They work fine, I can personally confirm. I bought a eshop GC using that target $8 code a month ago. Used it towards Zelda and paid the rest with a credit card.

Thanks friends

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Cojawfee posted:

Don't take my word for it but when I downloaded the Splatoon global whatever with my Japanese account, it showed up as purchased on my America account.

I thought any accounts on a system are linked in some way to promote shared purchases. I remember something about them being unlinked when you deactivate a system/account pairing. Or something.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I guess it's cool if the switch thread becomes ebay

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Well I have spent my entire snow day watching Quantum Leap marathons on the TV while playing Zelda in handheld mode

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

il serpente cosmico posted:

Sweet, mine is supposed to arrive on Saturday.

You can also count me as someone happy with my amFilm protectors. No issue at all. I know some people have suggested that the adhesive fails after long gaming sessions, but this has not happened to me. After applying the protector and not touching the Switch at all for 24 hours, I've had it on for about a week and have done several long play sessions with no issue whatsoever.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Can someone please explain the solution to the joy con picture? I am not a smart man.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

That...didn't help. :smith:

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Holy poo poo just type that into google.

Well that was disappointing

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Still riding that Nintendo Switch high, I strolled into the store yesterday, palm-slapped my money on the counter, and left with a copy of Binding of Isaac.

And...I'm not into it. Everyone seems to love this game so I'm not sure what's wrong with me.

Is there some secret to getting into this game?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

InFlames235 posted:

What do you not like about it? I've never played it and have a pre-order ready to pick up right now but any info that can help me decide if I should get it or not would be helpful.

There's quite a bit I don't like about it. I think it plays very slow. It creates a feeling that I'm very weak and struggling against the enemies. I usually enjoy a nice balance with that -- I don't want a game to make the enemies feel trivial but I also don't want to constantly feel like my back is against the wall.

I also think it's a little expensive for a game I don't really care for. I realize it's the enhanced version or whatever, along with all the DLC, and it's not a terrible deal compared to the PC price, but I don't feel like my money was well spent.

Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, I think my biggest issue is how it makes me feel like I'm ill-equipped to deal with the enemies. It's not a fun thing for me. I'm constantly moving backwards from them.

EDIT: After a death, which can come quickly, I'm inclined to just shrug my shoulders and go do something else. I don't like to trade in games because it's a huge rip-off but I might trade this one.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 19, 2017

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Thank you to all the goons explaining Binding of Isaac to me before I went to sleep. I'll try to give it some more effort.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Infinitum posted:

Weren't you the idiot that lied about 20fps in BoI once you reach the Womb? Cause I'm pretty sure I've done a good dozen or so runs with lots of hosed up combos and it's been running smooth as silk

So good job naysaying and making GBS threads up the thread :thumbsup:

It's becoming very weird how many people actively want other people to think the Switch is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
My only issue with the Switch is I really don't enjoy switching carts. It never bothered me with prior consoles. I've always bought physical. This time I am wrong.

• Locked thread