Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

tldr: its a nice handheld. i could have done without all off the console features - none of them impress me.

If Nintendo were trying to gracefully back away from the home console business in a dignified way and shift their focus to handhelds, boy would that look similar to the Switch. (I would be 100% ok with this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dominos pizza link thicc

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Snipperclips is awesome for showing the Switch off. "Yeah it's this cool new thing, wanna try a puzzle game?" Pop the joycons off and a minute later you're coordinating shapes to cut out of each other. I'm surprised it wasn't a first-party game, the quality and playfulness scream Nintendo.

The Machine posted:

The Joycons, as single controllers, are bad.

They're not comfortable for hours of gaming, but they're totally serviceable for pick-up games or a few people handing off to each other, which is probably how they'll most commonly be used as single controllers. I'd sum them up as "fine"

I've also had no problems with the left joycon, I've been sitting in my usual sitting spot in my living room with my Switch on top of my media cabinet about 6 or 7 feet away (in line of sight) with no lag or disconnects. I feel like that issue might be getting overblown.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 4, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Loopoo posted:

Dunno how you guys have the balls to ever let other people touch your Switch. I ain't letting no one touch my controllers until I've got spares later on in the year. I'd just be hyper-vigilant over everything cause I'd be so scared they'd break it with their Shrek-tier coordination and finesse.

That's paranoid and lame. Enjoy your Switch with your friends, it's fun

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Zelda is like, unfathomably good. Really exceeded all of my expectations, to the point where I was actively thinking that it excused the mediocrity of Skyward Sword
It's so good it makes up for Twilight Princess too. It's a loving revelation. I played about 15-17 hours this weekend and they flew by like nothing. I'm almost literally going to live inside Hyrule for the next week or two.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm surprisingly unmotivated to pick up a pro controller, the joycon grip works well for me. I think the trick is to hold it loosely, it doesn't have the ergonomics for a tight grip.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm deliberately playing Zelda first since Horizon will look way better, but I totally expect to enjoy Zelda's gameplay and open world more.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

mdemone posted:

Okay goddamnit. I know BOTW is good.

But the acid test: is it better than Ocarina?

Yeah. The open world feels at least as amazing as Hyrule Field and the day/night cycle did at the time.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I'm really curious if Splatoon 2 keeps up the momentum or if it was a one-time phenomenon. Like is the market for a casual fresh shooter the same as it was two years ago?

It's a great and unique game unto itself with a lot of critical acclaim, it'll be the only multiplayer team shooter on Switch, and it'll be the only modern shooter you can play on handheld device. I can't really think of a reason that it won't do well.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

enojy posted:

Ironically, there's like no point in cutting the grass now. It's just there to gently caress up the frame rate.
Cutting grass exposes lizards and crickets and faeries and stuff. It's way useful

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah they're pretty much gone everywhere. I've been using a beanie to keep mine safe in my bag during commutes.

I've been doing the same and it works well enough that I'll probably skip getting a case. I like being able to pluck it out of the "case" without having to unzip anything.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Drunk Tomato posted:

Quick poll - After being excluded from being a part of a game that probably would have been a highlight of his life, will a white supremacist YouTuber:

A) rethink some of his convictions and make an effort at being a better person

B) get really pissed, double down on the racism, and blame everything on SJWs / the PC media

I don't think "fix jontron" was among their goals when they chose to scrub a loud and proud white supremacist from their game

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm probably 70-80 hours into Zelda and I've done all the critical path stuff, but I'm putting off finishing the story because there are still big swathes of the world that I haven't explored yet. I like that they chose density over raw scale when it comes to the open world. I set a goal knowing that I'm gonna follow a dozen tangents before I get to it and I love that. Literal Adventure Game

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Separate joycons are really nice to use, I don't even see why I'd need a pro controller.

I felt the same after using them for about 90 hours of Zelda but then I picked up a PS4 controller for the first time in 2 weeks and immediately decided I needed a pro controller :\

acksplode
May 17, 2004

You could kill a few minutes playing random stages from internet people, or you could easily kill an hour making a stage. Mario Maker rules

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there a way to play metal slug two player using a pair of joycons?

Yeah, use the system's controller menu to pair the joycons as individual controllers and it should just work.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bad Parenting posted:

So this is why you literally can't do anything apart from play games on your switch, because Nintendo are terrible at locking their systems down

How does Nintendo offering a security vulnerability bounty program (like just about any other big software or hardware company) make them terrible at security?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

eonwe posted:

its probably gonna be nothing but they should be putting link to the past and or links awakening on VC

That they haven't done this yet is a greater crime than all the Amiibo spoofing in the world combined

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Colorspray posted:

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but seeing these numbers made me google the exchange rate. We are operating under the assumption that 1 AUD = 1 USD, but if the exchange rate is truly .76 AUD = 1 USD then it works out that 60 AUD = 45.6 USD.

If the exchange rate is factual and not some fabrication, all the examples cited previously in the thread are not so egregious. What am I missing here?

You misunderstood what you quoted. Puyo Puyo Tetris costs $30 USD in the US. $30 USD ~= $45 AUD. Puyo Puyo Tetrist costs $60 AUD in Australia.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mr. Shifty is really fun. It's only a few hours long and there's almost no story and the game crashed twice toward the end and made me replay some difficult sections that took me 15-20 tries to get past the first time. But it's like playing the opening part in X-Men 2 where NIghtcrawler is teleporting around the oval office beating the poo poo out of secret service agents, it rules. Everything else is forgivable.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Does the remake do anything besides update the graphics?

Looks like Dragon's Trap is just getting upgraded graphics. The game is apparently such a close reproduction that you can use passwords from the original with the remake and vice versa.

Anyone know how Dragon's Trap compares to Wonder Boy in Monster World? The latter on Genesis was my poo poo back in the day but Dragon's Trap looks like it's simpler and has less depth.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

parallelodad posted:

Those are tricks. Just animated tiles over a segment of the screen.

Hey buddy get a load of this: all graphics is tricks. Just dots on your screen

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lemming posted:

I feel like if an Isaac amiibo is making you say that it's pretty authentic to the character

Yeah they nailed the aesthetic. Repulsive garbage that I hate looking at.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Making it look like a cartoon harlequin fetus would indeed be an improvement.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Neon joycons: Game with Courage
Gray joycons: Game with Honour

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Splatoon's campaign was just OK, which made it look bad when compared with the good-as-heck multiplayer. The two modes didn't feed into each other in any way and the campaign gameplay was too different from the multiplayer to serve as offline practice. It was OK and easy enough to ignore but unnecessary and out of place, like a third nipple.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

DS4 dpad is kinda mushy but it's pretty much impossible to press one direction and accidentally register another, which is more important

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Norns posted:

Except that doesn't happen with my switch pro controller?

God drat...that must be an extremely professional controller

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

It's not nearing end of life when they release a brand new updated model.

I dunno. New 2DS looks an awful lot like a low-cost budget model that Nintendo can churn out for as long as the 3DS library keeps drawing people in.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Spellman posted:

Now which one of you 1%ers got a waterfield case. Step up

:smug:

My rationale for splurging on the case is that I didn't buy a screen protector.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

False both good

I'm trying to play Horizon through my constant anger at being unable to climb poo poo and no hang glider. Dinosaur murder helps calm the rage but only for a time

Bombadilillo posted:

Like the game. Wish it was linear. Or had a hub system.

BotW to all other open world games: "shoulda just stayed linear bitch"

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's 2017, are parents still surprised at subscription charges for online console game services?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Feenix posted:

I feel like I need a good MARIO KART primer.

Why do my bananas go forward sometimes and backwards the other?

Why do I see shells and fireballs flung backwards? Can you do that?

Other tricks?

Hold L when you have a shell or banana and it'll trail behind your kart, blocking any incoming shells. Release L to throw it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

This is my favorite response to that. I'm not even 100% sure the fan is active in portable mode it's so silent.

I'm pretty sure it's forced off when undocked, the lower performance profile is so the system doesn't have to do extra energy-draining stuff like run a fan.

Bill Barber posted:

I'd prefer it to be at least 50% thinner and also have better battery life. That's what I'm holding out for, personally.

Honestly I'd prefer 100% thinner and infinite battery life.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah the size of the thing is perfect. I could maybe go for larger more ergonomic Joycons but that starts to cut into portability. It could be lighter, my wrists get sore during longer sessions when I'm laying down.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Do you play games because they are fun or because you can unlock things?

Dude wants a single-player experience with clearer rewards and a sense of progression, which isn't unreasonable. MK8 isn't really that game though, unless you're motivated by getting stars on grand prix.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Not really in video game consoles though. Nintendo is the only company that sells their initial launch consoles at a fairly healthy profit. Sony and MS loss lead and make it up on licensing, market place (Video,/Movies, Games) and now, ads and apps (For MS). Kudos should be given to Nintendo for, in all actuality, continuing to con their player base into buying very antiquated hardware and trying to sell alternate means of playing antiquated games. By Antiquated, I mean to today's graphical/audio and presentation standards. Game play wise, some are very good (EX: Zelda)

This 720p gaming tablet is an antiquated piece of fr*cking poo poo

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Well, here is the panel they use.

HSD062IDW1-Axx A00 A02 HannStar

You can find these on ebay for about 26 bucks. In EOL manufacturing reboots, about $5 bucks at most.

Holy poo poo. Jesus Christ. gently caress. gently caress me. Where's the nearest trash can

acksplode
May 17, 2004

brb assembling my own Switch from individual parts that I obtained for about $100 total

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Not a bad idea. You could upgrade your panel to be an OLED 1080p panel and it would look amazingly better.

I'm giving it a third joycon rail and a cupholder

• Locked thread