Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Deadpool short felt like it took a half hour, loving excruciatingly unfunny. Anyway I finally gave in and teared up at Laura tilting the cross at the end, not only because of Logan's death but I guess because in a phase where every comic movie has to build to a sequel, this one had a sense of an actual end to a story and the characters that started with the first movie almost 20 years ago to me.

Honorable mention of misty-eyedness was Logan's attempt to eulogize Xavier. What a gut punch and great, great acting by Jackman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Wait, you guys got a Deadpool short with your showing? gently caress, we didn't get anything like that, just a trailer for what is inexplicably another Fast & Furious movie. Still, pretty good movie: intensely violent while at the same incredibly depressing because everyone's old and sad and everything's gone to poo poo.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gnome de plume posted:

Wait, you guys got a Deadpool short with your showing? gently caress, we didn't get anything like that, just a trailer for what is inexplicably another Fast & Furious movie. Still, pretty good movie: intensely violent while at the same incredibly depressing because everyone's old and sad and everything's gone to poo poo.

I saw the Deadpool teaser prior to the Logan IMAX. It's not showing in the regular 2D? Regardless if so it isn't that great.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Fistboy posted:

I saw the Deadpool teaser prior to the Logan IMAX. It's not showing in the regular 2D? Regardless if so it isn't that great.

It is, just not in the uk I don't think.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So the mention of Essex Corp in Apocalypse just never came to any point, did it? And I watched the movie pretty intently but what exactly happened to the rest of the X-Men? I know at some point they were talking about Xavier having a similar event in the past that killed people, was that it?

Also the Deadpool thing was good, the gag played a little long but it's still pretty drat good, and I can't wait for another Deadpool flick. It's pretty much written for Reynolds and he plays it well.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
What I got from the movie is that only America is a shithole. You go one step into Canada and its an idyllic place where mutants are an everyday fact and no one is bothered by them. They probably have wild tigers roaming the streets too. Great depiction post-Trump's America.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Saw it tonight, great movie. Excellent swan song for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and Patrick Stewart as Professor X. Frickin' amazing debut for Dafne Keen as Laura. Easily my favorite X-Men movie, even with all the tragedy near bringing me to tears.

I was disappointed by the lack of a credit scene. I would have had Liev Schrieber in costume as Sabertooth walk up to Wolverine's grave and bow his head in respect, then sniff the air and follow the kids' trail. Dun Dun Dunnnn!!!! :D

See this movie. Hope you enjoy it. And if the Academy doesn't at least nominate it for Best Picture 2017 their brains are seriously impaired.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Servaetes posted:

So the mention of Essex Corp in Apocalypse just never came to any point, did it? And I watched the movie pretty intently but what exactly happened to the rest of the X-Men? I know at some point they were talking about Xavier having a similar event in the past that killed people, was that it?

Well they say the Westchester incident and that's where the X Mansion is so I'm guessing Xavier killed a ton of mutants. Also guessing that's why they're in the middle of nowhere Mexico so if he has a similar incident less people will get killed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Fistboy posted:

Well they say the Westchester incident and that's where the X Mansion is so I'm guessing Xavier killed a ton of mutants. Also guessing that's why they're in the middle of nowhere Mexico so if he has a similar incident less people will get killed.

It also explains why Logan is trying to get them a boat. He wants to keep them isolated.

My only real complaint is that it ends with the wrong Johnny Cash song. I know it got used in the trailer, but come on, 'Hurt' was a perfect song to use.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

It also explains why Logan is trying to get them a boat. He wants to keep them isolated.

My only real complaint is that it ends with the wrong Johnny Cash song. I know it got used in the trailer, but come on, 'Hurt' was a perfect song to use.

Agreed.

Logan owned and I hope it signals an evolution of "superhero" films. Even if it doesn't, it's an incredible film.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DrVenkman posted:

I'm not so sure. We all had our heart strings pulled real tight at the end. Song they chose felt a little more uplifting....like a celebration. Both could have worked really well. I'm sure there were arguments on which to use.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
An ironic point of the movie how the scientist were trying to create weapons but failed at giving them motivation to be weapons but in the exercise of recapturing them gave them a reason to fight back.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Didn't really like how the end of mutants was the result of an evil plot to put things in corn.

Would have much preferred it if there was just a vaccine for mutants or something like that that everyone gets in infancy or something.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

themrguy posted:

Didn't really like how the end of mutants was the result of an evil plot to put things in corn.

Would have much preferred it if there was just a vaccine for mutants or something like that that everyone gets in infancy or something.

I mean it basically is:

The corn syrup is the vaccination. The kids were genetically engineered to be a mutant army. As Logan notes, there hasn't actually been a mutant born in 25 years.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

themrguy posted:

Sci fi series called Helix ended heavily on this note and could be happening now. They sterilized the world with the modified corn, that's not a far stretch from the movie itself because mutants arn't actually real. The US government does pay farmers to grow corn above the cost to sell it but I'm unable to find a link for you, that part of the movie is incredibility true. There's a documentary called Food Inc and they pointed out that 2/3 or something of foods at the grocery store contain corn syrup. Thanks Mayans.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 4, 2017

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Really my only criticism of the movie is that they have an opportunity to escalate something for a change of pace and squander it. . Logan takes the green juice and I thought they were going to supercharge him but it was basically the same as in the desert. I would have liked a feeling like he hulked out rather than just caught his breath and then became killable. It was unfortunately same-y when it could have been amazing. At least the kids added some variation.. Other than that, fantastic movie from start to finish. I probably like it more than X2, my previous favorite X-Men movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I actually think it proves that Superhero movies (Though you could barely call LOGAN that) work better with smaller stakes rather than the world/galaxy/universe being at stake.

Ultimately, this is a world where the villains have already won. You get hints at the outside world and it's not all that pretty. And the only stakes are a man and the hope for a better future for some children.

Also, I'm glad the name Freddy Kruger gets remembered in 2029.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ape Agitator posted:

Really my only criticism of the movie is that they have an opportunity to escalate something for a change of pace and squander it. . Logan takes the green juice and I thought they were going to supercharge him but it was basically the same as in the desert. I would have liked a feeling like he hulked out rather than just caught his breath and then became killable. It was unfortunately same-y when it could have been amazing. At least the kids added some variation.. Other than that, fantastic movie from start to finish. I probably like it more than X2, my previous favorite X-Men movie.

I've never read the comics but was that the berserker rage I've read about a few times?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fistboy posted:

I've never read the comics but was that the berserker rage I've read about a few times?

No, it was the t-Virus.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DrVenkman posted:

Why wouldn't it? It's only twelve years away.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This was a really grimdark film, and I didn't like that aspect but it was very bold and felt like a real sendoff for a series that started a long time ago.

It's a shame they're gonna follow up with more movies because that was a fantastic ending. "So this is what it feels like." was great.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I can't think of a movie that affected me like this since Shawshank Redemption. This is an amazing movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This was a really grimdark film, and I didn't like that aspect but it was very bold and felt like a real sendoff for a series that started a long time ago.

It's a shame they're gonna follow up with more movies because that was a fantastic ending. "So this is what it feels like." was great.

I'm kind of interested to see what happens from here on out. It seems that Jackman really pushed for this to be his last outing as Wolverine (And he's been talking about that for a while), but the X-MEN continuity is so loving wild that they're bound to try and bring him back somehow. Stewart did say he was done, but then the other day he did namedrop DEADPOOL so who knows. For what it's worth I hope that's it for these characters. They've got a legitimately great grace note to go out on, let McAvoy play Xavier from now on.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

DrVenkman posted:

I actually think it proves that Superhero movies (Though you could barely call LOGAN that) work better with smaller stakes rather than the world/galaxy/universe being at stake.

Ultimately, this is a world where the villains have already won. You get hints at the outside world and it's not all that pretty. And the only stakes are a man and the hope for a better future for some children.

#MagnetoDidNothingWrong

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

Servaetes posted:

While driving away after Xavier has the seizure in Ok City, the radio broadcast mentions that it was very similar to the Westchester incident where 60 + people were injured and 7 died including the team of X-men. Logan immediately cuts off the radio there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Nemo posted:

What I got from the movie is that only America is a shithole. You go one step into Canada and its an idyllic place where mutants are an everyday fact and no one is bothered by them. They probably have wild tigers roaming the streets too. Great depiction post-Trump's America.

Probably supposed to evoke the Underground Railroad, when slaves would use secret networks of homes and allies to escape to the North or to Canada.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr. Nemo posted:

Sucks the movie was most likely made back before the elections, huh. Maybe when taco bell had the cheese chalupa.

Bro tip: the naked chalupa is really good.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 4, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What do people think of Logan's last words " So this is what this feels like? " It kind of has a double meaning Death and Love. He's never experienced dying before and he's never experienced that kind of love or kindness . I thought it was brutally sad. Almost to much so

Ugh this film is so bittersweet and good.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

Did anyone catch Holbrook's character's first name, towards the end? It's Donald.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I really enjoyed how they set up Laura's sudden talking in Spanish... Xavier was trying to communicate to her in Spanish when she gets to the compound.

It's also really poignant how patient and kind Chuck is towards her, versus how impatient he is towards Logan. Kind of an old man's sad attempt to reclaim what made him great going on there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Logan working as a taxi driver to treat professor x with Ibuprofen is a major plot point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tenzarin posted:

Logan working as a taxi driver to treat professor x with Ibuprofen is a major plot point.
That's Caliban switching the bottles to prove that Logan's healing factor isn't working as it should, and that he's experiencing the effects of being Old As gently caress.

It was supposed to be whatever anti-seizure medicine he pays for from the hospital dude.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Clearly the ending song should've been "Ain't no grave".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah Caliban even says Logan can barely read. Loved seeing Logan with glasses!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The teaser is online if you're movie didn't have it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ezsReZcxU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

FilthyImp posted:

That's Caliban switching the bottles to prove that Logan's healing factor isn't working as it should, and that he's experiencing the effects of being Old As gently caress.

It was supposed to be whatever anti-seizure medicine he pays for from the hospital dude.

They always hand him the same blue pills.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I haven't been a fan of an X-Film in a long time, but drat this was awesome and transcendent in parts. Unlike other people, I actually really dug Young-Raged-Up-Clone-Logan. It showed what the bad guys would be able to accomplish if they were victorious and cleaned up their loose ends. I'm a little sad that Stephen Merchant didn't get more screentime, though, and I was weirdly super-duper sad that the farming family got destroyed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The soundtrack was intense as gently caress, too. The tenseness and increasing loudness helped so much to enhance the action on screen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tenzarin posted:

They always hand him the same blue pills.
Hah. This post is amazing.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I was weirdly super-duper sad that the farming family got destroyed.
Same. Thematically it was consistent that both Logan and Xavier destroyed their families, that the humble old days were gone, etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I feel that I need to explain, Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory drug used to treat headaches and drug addicts through trickery.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 4, 2017

• Locked thread