Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Tenzarin posted:

This is pretty amazing insight, maybe speed of claws vs bullets?

It's just the same illogical goof for the sake of "graphic head shot" that was in Wolverine origins.

I thought it was ok except the end. I'd have preferred Logan and xavier made it to the boat and the last shot is of them sailing off into the sunset. With us knowing about the limited mind meds and a dying Logan, I think that would have been a much stronger end to the characters than surprise shank to the invalids chest and killed by a branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

What do people think of Logan's last words " So this is what this feels like? " It kind of has a double meaning Death and Love. He's never experienced dying before and he's never experienced that kind of love or kindness . I thought it was brutally sad. Almost to much so

Ugh this film is so bittersweet and good.

He experienced Jean Grey.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kin posted:

It's just the same illogical goof for the sake of "graphic head shot" that was in Wolverine origins.

I thought it was ok except the end. I'd have preferred Logan and xavier made it to the boat and the last shot is of them sailing off into the sunset. With us knowing about the limited mind meds and a dying Logan, I think that would have been a much stronger end to the characters than surprise shank to the invalids chest and killed by a branch.

That would completely undercut the entire arc of the movie being that all Logan can do now is give someone else a chance for a future. You're talking about something that would require them to rebuild the movie from the ground up for it to make sense as the ending.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress this was good. It's almost a shame it's attached to such a shite franchise/genre.

If the other quadrillion Xmen films didn't exist this could have been made and been great as a standalone story with only a couple of minor references removed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Hopefully this makes film studios realize that they don't have to have a huge interconnected franchise to have a great film plus the R rating doesn't hurt Super Hero films.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You know Affleck's Batman's going to be an R-rated fuckfest now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FilthyImp posted:

I really enjoyed how they set up Laura's sudden talking in Spanish... Xavier was trying to communicate to her in Spanish when she gets to the compound.

It's also really poignant how patient and kind Chuck is towards her, versus how impatient he is towards Logan. Kind of an old man's sad attempt to reclaim what made him great going on there.

Well...she was from Mexico. I wouldn't say that's any sort of setup. Character from place speaks language of that place.

Although the other kids not speaking spanish and not having accents was weird since they were all brought up together.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I would have liked to see Laura get hurt more often. Granted violence against children is always problematic, even in works of fiction, but with her power being healing based I felt like we should have seen it happen a bit more, and not just bloodstains after the fact. I do give them credit for not completely avoiding this though, there's certainly one huge wounding pretty much right off the bat.

I'd also have liked a moment of dark levity where both Logan and Laura get shot by a guy and dispatch him quickly with no further threats around and we see Laura pop out the bullet and have no scar from where it hit in a matter of seconds while Logan just has it sitting in his arm and has to dig it out with a claw or something, grumbling about getting old while he does so.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

That would completely undercut the entire arc of the movie being that all Logan can do now is give someone else a chance for a future. You're talking about something that would require them to rebuild the movie from the ground up for it to make sense as the ending.

I thought it was pretty thematically consistent too, as X-24 being the embodiment of Wolverine's rage and in the end being defeated not by Logan, but by Laura.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NowonSA posted:

I would have liked to see Laura get hurt more often. Granted violence against children is always problematic, even in works of fiction, but with her power being healing based I felt like we should have seen it happen a bit more, and not just bloodstains after the fact. I do give them credit for not completely avoiding this though, there's certainly one huge wounding pretty much right off the bat.

Honestly I'm amazed they got away with as much as they did. I kept wondering how they avoided an 18 rating in the UK. That one incident of Laura being hurt is about as brutal as child-based violence gets in mainstream cinema. And there are plenty of other on and off screen straight up child killings in there too.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

A quasi-subtle point I liked:

Logan hates flying or, one would guess, sailing over large bodies of water because if he falls in he'll sink like a boulder and be stuck in a never-ending cycle of drowning and coming back (or just flat drowning and dying). But by this time he's fine with living on the ocean for the rest of his days with Charles, because if he falls in and drowns he doesn't loving care anymore.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is it worth seeing this movie in IMAX?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I think Norway drew the shortest straw for pre-movie trailer: A goddamn dramatization of the manhunt after the Boston marathon bombings.

Great movie, though. And good to know Laura only has the claws and spikes, I was wondering if she'd need to spend most of the next century looking for a treatment or a way to remove the adamantium.

It's also interesting how Logan was born in Canada way back when, and dies in the US - but just a stone throw away from the border. Not quite sure what to make of that.

Oh, and it's also somewhat fitting how he did a lot of bad things in Vietnam, and now he's helping a group of kids that don't want to be soldiers flee to Canada.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 4, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Nap Ghost
I kind of wish Creed/Sabertooth was in it to help Logan out. Like he'd kick his broken rear end first then help and then get to face off against younger Logan after Old Man gets his rear end kicked for satisfaction. I also thought they were working on Omega Red. But yeah it thematically makes more sense to be Young Logan. And as fantasy booking as this is, I thought the ending would be Logan dying and finding that the kids were being drawn to Jean across the border as she was reborn from the Phoenix and she'd be there to comfort him in death. But what we got was very good.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

well why not posted:

Did anyone catch Holbrook's character's first name, towards the end? It's Donald.

He's actually named after Donald Sutherland, who played Hawkeye Pierce in Robert Altman's M*A*S*H.

Blame Chris Claremont.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

NowonSA posted:

Half my theater vocally reacted when a loving harpoon went through her chest. There was a pretty good chorus of "God drat"s going on. But I dunno, specifically wanting to see a kid get shot up seems kind of weird.

Count me in as one of those people who think this is one of, if not the, best x-men movies. So many spectacular character moments and excellent acting from the stars, I am kind of disappointed the song from the trailer didn't show up anywhere in the film though.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I did really like how the movie had the guts to let its heroes be pathetic. Not Hollywood down and out, but really broke, drunk and senile at the beginning. After all of these movies building up the apocalyptic conflict between mutants and humanity , and then mutants just kinda ending was an anticlimax in the best kind of way. Felt similar to the fading out of a lot of real life social movements.

Do they ever explain what happened to magneto?

Also, what exactly is the bad guys relation to the govt? I thought they were a private corporation, but then we see them coordinating with federal agents and the military

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

themrguy posted:

Also, what exactly is the bad guys relation to the govt? I thought they were a private corporation, but then we see them coordinating with federal agents and the military

Seems pretty clear they were a military contractor building super soldiers for the government.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

NowonSA posted:

I'd also have liked a moment of dark levity where both Logan and Laura get shot by a guy and dispatch him quickly with no further threats around and we see Laura pop out the bullet and have no scar from where it hit in a matter of seconds while Logan just has it sitting in his arm and has to dig it out with a claw or something, grumbling about getting old while he does so.

Oh word?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

As someone who watches a lot of American Dad, I found all the scenes of Xavier cursing to be hilarious. Director Bullock found his way to the forefront

But on a serious note, this was easily the best movie I've seen in a while. Hit all the dramatic notes while still managing to be a fun movie. Was self-aware but stuck to its themes pretty well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's entirely, unambiguously 100% Logan's fault that that family got murdered.

Anyway, I liked this quite a bit, and I'm going to honor its memory and pretend it's the end of the X-Men franchise and never watch another.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The best super hero movie that I've seen. I did not expect it to pull on the old heartstrings the way that it did. Movie went from super violent to emotional many times over. I'm a bit sad Charles didn't get to to say those nice things to Logan before he died.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think what was so, so, so refreshing with this film is that it's story was so simple and straightforward. Even the better comic book movies tend yo be waaaay overstuffed with sideplots and multiple villains and setting up future films and constantly referencing older ones and having to give 10 characters their own separate arcs and having big, loud, boring set pieces. This movie was just allowed to tell a story, and told it very well. This is EASILY the best X movie and in the running for best superhero movie.

How worth watching is The Wolverine? I've heard the 3rd act has a lot of issues, but is the rest on the same level quality-wise as this or about as good as your average X movie?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gatts posted:

And as fantasy booking as this is, I thought the ending would be Logan dying and finding that the kids were being drawn to Jean across the border as she was reborn from the Phoenix and she'd be there to comfort him in death. But what we got was very good.

I can't really argue against what they did, seeing the massive x-men cast whittled down to three sad mutants hiding in Mexico and man-made mutants created as soldiers was very effective at hammering home how much the x-men have lost. The few survivors are crippled shadows of their former selves and their replacements are a warmongering perversion of their goal to get along with humanity. I prefer the idea that the person on the radio helping the kids is a human who's just trying to help them out, similar to Laura's nurse, and a sign that even though it's a crapsack world there are still good people in it.

I'd actually be down for a movie focused on all those poor kids set around 10 years from the end of the movie, dealing with having been trained to be child soldiers and hating the world, trying to take down powerful government contractors and corporations. It's a very different psychology for a superhero team than we've seen in a movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

It's entirely, unambiguously 100% Logan's fault that that family got murdered.

Anyway, I liked this quite a bit, and I'm going to honor its memory and pretend it's the end of the X-Men franchise and never watch another.

I can't say that. Logan wanted to get the gently caress out and it was Xavier who talked him into staying.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Was Caliban in Apocalypse or any of the other X-Men movies?

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Saw it, loved it, ugly cried in the theater like everyone else. I found Dafne Keen as Laura to be incredibly impressive; the first time she goes to town there's an instinctive moment of "Hell, yes, this is badass," and then I suddenly realized that I'm watching a child murder the everloving poo poo out of other people and it just became sickening and sad. And that fight at the end where she's clawing up X24 was just insane with the amount of times she stabbed him. For such a young girl she embodied rage so effectively. Weird thing I noticed, though: did some of the kids die at the end? I remember there being a kid in the cabin when Logan woke up who had these stretched out proportions, and I didn't see him in the group at the end.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The movie's called Logan, not some permutation of Wolverine. It makes sense that the biggest threat in the film is X-24, a distilled version of what the Wolverine is.

The question of the film is, "what value does Logan have?" He's old, not particularly virtuous, not particularly capable. Whatever Weapon X made him into can now be cooked up in a lab, and X-24 takes the strategic advantage of his mutant-ness away. What's left?

The answer is ultimately his bravery, self-sacrifice, and his love for those close to him. Things Logan has. Things X-24 doesn't.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

X-24 loved his dad. Did you see his reaction when he seen his brains blown out?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, if Mangold's reason for not putting Logan in the comic book outfit is that he can't see Logan's personality wanting to wear that outfit as he stated recently, then X24 would have been a great opportunity to do so. Not just for the fans, but for the film.

Would have been the perfect chance, as it would be an effective propaganda tool for the government to have a version of Logan that embodies the public's distorted vision of history so they can be seen as the "good guys". Also would have been an amazing sendoff of the character to see the costume on screen for fans. And if the filmmakers hate the costume they even could have made a bad joke about it and have Logan roll his eyes at it. Hell, the kid holding the Wolvie action figure at the funeral just shows that it would have been a great moment, having these children come to terms with the fact that their hero is much more human than the myth

Oh well, my one gripe.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 5, 2017

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the movie moves along too fast for my taste, combined with the bombastic music just makes me hard to get into the characters. I have a hard time feeling what they feel because they have all these huge emotions and then BOOM BANG CHOP CHOP. my favorite parts are when nobody gets murdered for more than 5 minutes of screentime

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

You're exaggerating. The whole chance for a future thing could have still happened without the character endings we got.

The boat ending I described is basically the boat ending Logan wants and there film had so many things setting up that bittersweet sailing off into the sunset to die ending.

In fact the thing that seems out of place is X24. It's only real interaction with the film is to surprise shank Xavier and kill Wolverine at the end. In fact, his two main scenes were the only ones that made me feel like I was suddenly watching one of the old, shitter Wolverine movies.

Hell X24 interacts with so few of the other characters, it feels like it was shoehorned into the film in some kind of last minute rewrite.

The film could have had both Logan and Xavier getting the kids to Eden, getting ambushed by the mercs and have that whole thing play out the same (sans x24) . The only difference would then have been that Wolverine sends the kids off to their future while he and Xavier get on a boat to meet their end.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kin posted:

You're exaggerating. The whole chance for a future thing could have still happened without the character endings we got.
The problem with that is that it is the whole Western thing the movie's going for.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Kin posted:

The boat ending I described is basically the boat ending Logan wants and there film had so many things setting up that bittersweet sailing off into the sunset to die ending.

In fact the thing that seems out of place is X24. It's only real interaction with the film is to surprise shank Xavier and kill Wolverine at the end. In fact, his two main scenes were the only ones that made me feel like I was suddenly watching one of the old, shitter Wolverine movies.

Hell X24 interacts with so few of the other characters, it feels like it was shoehorned into the film in some kind of last minute rewrite.

The film could have had both Logan and Xavier getting the kids to Eden, getting ambushed by the mercs and have that whole thing play out the same (sans x24) . The only difference would then have been that Wolverine sends the kids off to their future while he and Xavier get on a boat to meet their end.

You're forgetting one important scene, though, where the X24 wrecks a whole bunch of assholes. I loved that scene because of how many assholes get killed

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

The problem with that is that it is the whole Western thing the movie's going for.

Which is why getting on a boat, sailing off into the sunset too injured to live would be a fairly unambiguous nod to the ending of another famous western.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did DoFP split an alternate timeline off, ala BttF, where everything is fine while allowing the First Class stuff to go on by itself? Apocalypse had Jackman Wolverine though so maybe not. If there was a split, where did it happen for the FC characters?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Accretionist posted:

You're forgetting one important scene, though, where the X24 wrecks a whole bunch of assholes. I loved that scene because of how many assholes get killed

It was a good parallel to the beginning with Logan turning those Mexican dudes to carne asada.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kin posted:

Which is why getting on a boat, sailing off into the sunset too injured to live would be a fairly unambiguous nod to the ending of another famous western.

They're in North Dakota and Wolverine blew all his boat money just to barely make it that far. In order for your boat ending to work, they then have to back track all the way to Mexico and then suddenly Shane their way into the sunset. There's a whole lot of reworking to get to the short retirement that Wolverine and Xavier explicitly give up for the sake of the kids. Also those kids would have to be some real assholes to let last legs Logan and Centenarian Xavier try and stumble their way back across the US instead of taking them to Eden.

Edit: Your ending also has them explicitly turn their backs on the world instead of rediscovering their Mettle and going down as X-Men.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 5, 2017

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
lol at professor X and Logan abandoning the kids at the end of the movie to go sail on a boat in the middle of north dakota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they done went and made the best super hero movie

• Locked thread