Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was Caliban in Apocalypse or any of the other X-Men movies?

He was in X-Men: Apocalypse, though played by a different actor. He ran that underground operation in Cairo, where Ororo was hanging out IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Fistboy posted:

One thing I might have missed?
The villain with the metal hand. Did his hand factor into anything at all? Other than "Hey I'm kinda like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget?"

Laura cut it off. In the video they watch on the phone when you see the scenes of the kids escaping, he still has two hands. I think its pretty safe to assume he lost it when they broke out, or in one of the attempts to try to catch her

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Fistboy posted:

The villain with the metal hand. Did his hand factor into anything at all? Other than "Hey I'm kinda like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget?"

As far as payoff, I guess he was incapacitated when Logan shot it, but he would have been equally or more incapacitated if he'd been shot in a regular old organic hand, so not really. If we're to assume that he lost the hand to Laura (which strangely is more strongly suggested in one of the trailers iirc), I guess it makes everything a bit more personal for his character.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The kills in this movie were loving good

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Regarding the cyber arms thing, it made really clicked for me when ice kid freezes and smashes the one dudes arm reiterating how dangerous the kids could be making me think, oh... yeah... that's why they're all missing limbs.

Also its cause its a reference to The Reavers in the comics who are all cyborgs.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'd say this is easily the best X-Men movie and probably the best Marvel movie (not a high bar though). So refreshing to see a comic book movie not pull any punches and not pander to its audience or waste time with call backs or setups for future movies.

Also Hugh Jackman should host the Oscars again.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 5, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's just such a breath of fresh air to have a superhero movie that does its own thing- isn't an origin story, doesn't have to lean on existing continuity or set things up for future installments. It serves no masters except telling a compelling story. If it does well, I hope that's the lesson studios take from it, not that the movies need to have more titties, and blood, and cusses. (Spoiler: they will take the wrong lessons)

chinesemethdragon
Sep 6, 2009
Dumb nerd poo poo that I might have been reading too far into:

Was it implied that Cyclops was the one that wrote all those comics? I think I remember Logan saying something about the writer falsifying stories, but I guess it could be anyone

Anyways, the best superhero movie I've seen, and I hope Disney and company take note.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lazy writing.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

It's just such a breath of fresh air to have a superhero movie that does its own thing- isn't an origin story, doesn't have to lean on existing continuity or set things up for future installments. It serves no masters except telling a compelling story. If it does well, I hope that's the lesson studios take from it, not that the movies need to have more titties, and blood, and cusses. (Spoiler: they will take the wrong lessons)

Hey guess what, you're totally right on that account, since Todd McFarlane has once again renewed his pledge to make an R-rated Spawn film.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

General Dog posted:

Speaking of which, it was nice to see the return of the 80's pointless booby cameo. Ain't no action movie like an action movie shoehorning some titties in like they're contractually obligated and the writer forgot about it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Astonishingly good movie.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
This is hardly a spoiler so not tagging. Anyone else think the gas station attendant was made out to look like Trevor Fitzroy?

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib
The scenes with Laura and Logan tearing it up were as :3: as gently caress.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

General Dog posted:

It's entirely, unambiguously 100% Logan's fault that that family got murdered.

Anyway, I liked this quite a bit, and I'm going to honor its memory and pretend it's the end of the X-Men franchise and never watch another.

Yeah, I liked how the movie didn't really dwell on the father trying to kill Logan, or frame it as some big betrayal. They both wordlessly understood what the deal was, and the audience is expected to do the same.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

feedmyleg posted:

How worth watching is The Wolverine? I've heard the 3rd act has a lot of issues, but is the rest on the same level quality-wise as this or about as good as your average X movie?

Wolverine is okay. It's not as good as the Marvel films but it's better than apocalypse. I guess it's around the quality of First Class.

Like I said, this is the only trilogy where the first film is atrocious, the second is okay and the third is great. They can at least be glad about that. I'd still like it if the X-men license went back to Marvel.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I liked THE WOLVERINE quite a bit, but the third act feels like it has come from a different movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmyleg posted:

Also, if Mangold's reason for not putting Logan in the comic book outfit is that he can't see Logan's personality wanting to wear that outfit as he stated recently, then X24 would have been a great opportunity to do so. Not just for the fans, but for the film.

Would have been the perfect chance, as it would be an effective propaganda tool for the government to have a version of Logan that embodies the public's distorted vision of history so they can be seen as the "good guys". Also would have been an amazing sendoff of the character to see the costume on screen for fans. And if the filmmakers hate the costume they even could have made a bad joke about it and have Logan roll his eyes at it. Hell, the kid holding the Wolvie action figure at the funeral just shows that it would have been a great moment, having these children come to terms with the fact that their hero is much more human than the myth

Oh well, my one gripe.

Counterpoint: That would've been loving stupid, and looked loving stupid. This is a film that for the first time in the franchise rose above disgusting ideas like fanservice.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah that is an awful suggestion for how this could've ended. That eradicates a lot of the character journeys. Much better the way it was.

This is one of the few superhero films where 'film' takes precedence over 'superhero'. Lower stakes, few explosions, lower-key setpieces, slower pace. It's got more in common with something like Unbreakable than most of the other X-Men films.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

well why not posted:

It's got more in common with something like Unbreakable than most of the other X-Men films.

It reminded me of Drive an awful lot. Elements of Fury Road in there too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Saw it yesterday. Great movie. I've seen all of the X-Men movie except for Deadpool and Apocalypse, but it's been a while. Did I miss anything by not watching Apocalypse? How does Logan fit in with the others, timeline wise?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Residency Evil posted:

Saw it yesterday. Great movie. I've seen all of the X-Men movie except for Deadpool and Apocalypse, but it's been a while. Did I miss anything by not watching Apocalypse? How does Logan fit in with the others, timeline wise?

The post-credits scene in Apocalypse is all about the Weapon X project and the camera lingers over vials labeled X-23 or 24, can't remember. I didn't think Apocalypse was terrible, but certainly the weakest of the reboot X-Men movies. Still better than X3!!

Saw Logan yesterday afternoon and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. I definitely don't think it would have been as bittersweet a viewing experience if I hadn't been watching these two actors play the same characters for the last two decades. It was pretty clear from the start that by the end Logan and Charles would both be dead, but drat did it make me cry anyway. What a gut punch that last shot is, poo poo. Can't wait to see it again.

If this really was Hugh Jackman's last time as Wolverine, drat am I going to miss him.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

In the pre movie trailer, what's the deal with the prominent number of Firefly posters in the background? Did someone that helped film it work on the show, or is it just digging at Fox since they dumped it?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Steve2911 posted:

It reminded me of Drive an awful lot. Elements of Fury Road in there too.

I was thinking the other week how much Drive is at its heart a superhero film, a secretive costumed hero who saves the day. I remember Gosling and Refn comparing it to a fairy tale or myth, but what are superior films but modern day myths anyway. Drive also resembles Shane to an incredibly strong degree, and of course Logan explicitly invokes that film. So there's a nice throughline there.

One big difference is that, unlike the other two films, Logan ends with the hero dying in an act of self-sacrifice, rather than riding off into the sunset and leaving them behind to continue his life elsewhere...which is, of course, what Logan wants to do.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Criminal Minded posted:

One big difference is that, unlike the other two films, Logan ends with the hero dying in an act of self-sacrifice, rather than riding off into the sunset and leaving them behind to continue his life elsewhere...which is, of course, what Logan wants to do.

This just threw Children of Men at me too.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In the pre movie trailer, what's the deal with the prominent number of Firefly posters in the background? Did someone that helped film it work on the show, or is it just digging at Fox since they dumped it?

Might be a dig at Fox, or Whedon who directed Avengers 1/2 and Firefly.

Also could someone help clarify a line from the movie:

What exactly where Charles' last words?

Residency Evil posted:

Post-credits in Apocalypse was supposed to set up Mister Sinister in Logan but they decided to go in a different direction and not use Sinister.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Criminal Minded posted:

Shane dies at end. At least arguably.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Taear posted:

I'd still like it if the X-men license went back to Marvel.

Why? There's no way they'd ever make a movie like this.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

notthegoatseguy posted:

What exactly where Charles' last words?

Inaudible mumbling about the boat. Iirc, his last words were, "Sunseeker".

I think he wanted Logan and Laura to float off into the sunset together as a family.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

frank.club posted:

The kills in this movie were loving good

Yeah but, this is an extremely violent movie; almost excessively and unnecessarily violent. I liked it and enjoyed it but, I was really shocked by how graphically violent it was. Most XMen movies have violence but its always more cartoon like violence; not blood and gore and head exploding violence. This was like a Quentin Tarantino version of Wolverine. Maybe the fact that the child character was involved in all of the most extreme scenes affected me. I thought it was an excellent version of the XMen universe. It reminded me of the difference between Batman Begins and all of the comic book like versions of the Batman movies that came before it. It made the individual XMen seem more human and vulnerable than any movie before it. I'd highly recommend it to any fan of the genre but, if your taking a date or friend to the movie, make sure their OK with real hardcore violence in a movie.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just to be clear, are X-Men 1, 2, 3, both wolverine movies, logan, days of future past, and apocalypse supposed to exist on one continuous timeline?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Just to be clear, are X-Men 1, 2, 3, both wolverine movies, logan, days of future past, and apocalypse supposed to exist on one continuous timeline?

X-Men 1-3 are, and X-Men: First Class and Wolverine Origins are prequels but take some liberties. The Wolverine takes place at some point after X-3. DOFP pretty much reboots the timeline completely. Apocalypse takes place in the...80s, I think? And Logan is set in the distant future.

Really just try not to think about it too hard. It isn't like it matters in Logan since only the most vague references are made.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just take his line about the comics being stuff that mostly didn't happen and the stuff that did wasn't like that at all and apply a throughline from X1 + The Wolverine + Logan.

The Adamantium bullet from Origins shows up. The Mutant Cure from X3 is probably what they weaponized in the GMO corn.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I really hope that we get a X-Force movie. Not the normal X Force, but the Cyclops approved kill squad of assassins that pre emptively takes out threats to mutants. That'd be a good way to introduce a new Wolvernine.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well, Morena Baccarin was 2nd billed in the first Deadpool.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

radical meme posted:

Yeah but, this is an extremely violent movie; almost excessively and unnecessarily violent. I liked it and enjoyed it but, I was really shocked by how graphically violent it was. Most XMen movies have violence but its always more cartoon like violence; not blood and gore and head exploding violence. This was like a Quentin Tarantino version of Wolverine. Maybe the fact that the child character was involved in all of the most extreme scenes affected me. I thought it was an excellent version of the XMen universe. It reminded me of the difference between Batman Begins and all of the comic book like versions of the Batman movies that came before it. It made the individual XMen seem more human and vulnerable than any movie before it. I'd highly recommend it to any fan of the genre but, if your taking a date or friend to the movie, make sure their OK with real hardcore violence in a movie.

Look wolverine's main way of dealing with a problem is pretty violent. But I wasn't expecting a full body gib . Exceptional

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

evilbastard posted:

Well, Morena Baccarin was 2nd billed in the first Deadpool.

Alan Tyduck as Cable confirmed...maybe Adam Baldwin? Guy can do comedy too.

I still want Stephen Lang but that's for a serious movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fistboy posted:

I'm guessing they suffered injuries in the line of their job...

efb

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 5, 2017

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Residency Evil posted:

Apocalypse has it's moments but it's not that great. You're not missing anything.

But how have you not watched Deadpool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

got any sevens posted:

I'm guessing they suffered injuries in the line of their job...

efb

It kind of speaks to the approach that Mangold takes as well. You can put it all together: At some point everyone had their limbs intact until they hosed around and genetically engineered killing machines. There's no real reason to elaborate on it beyond that. Same as the 'Westchester incident'. I mean the only real information you get is from a line on the radio. There's a lot of information that just happens in the peripheral.

• Locked thread