Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That list of "problems" is exactly why superhero movies and their fans are awful.

Talk about missing the point of every second of a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Incidentally, I thought this movie was amazing except for the part where they had to evacuate my theater because a skinhead in the second row was standing up and occasionally screaming incoherent rage at the screen while fiddling with something in his pocket that one person said was a knife. This is not an experience I recommend, despite the free passes we got.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So until very last minutes of the movie, Logan was a mediocre but still entertaining diversion. Before the very end, there were two parts that made it bad. First, the undercurrents of sadism, with comic book heroes turned pitiful old men writhing on the floor. Second, the was the thick, syrupy sentimentalism (which would once or twice immediately turn int more gruesome violence).

They were bad things, but as an comic book ex-fan I would be lying if I said that seeing Wolverine mutilating people in all of its R-Rated glory wasn't entertaining enough and cathartic.

But in the end.... well, this movie has Wolverine die, after so many adventures of varying quality. It wasn't a particularly impressive death scene, but not bad either. But after that, he gets an improvised funeral. All the mourners are kids, and one of the kids is mournfully squeezing onto his Wolverine action figure. It's a minor detail, but it really loving sums up the movie. After all, it's the last we actually see of Wolverine, since he's dead and buried..

It's so loving terrible that everything good and bad about the movie is now filtered through that one tiny detail, because it gets to the heart of what the movie is about : the death of an action figure..

However, if you want to see Wolverine cut up some people, you're probably going to enjoy this movie.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Steve2911 posted:

That list of "problems" is exactly why superhero movies and their fans are awful.

Hell yeah, thankfully critics arent quite that jaded and can actually recognise quality narratives and craftmanship when it shows up on the big screen.

Logan was a good movie, it has some minor plot holes that are very nitpicky in nature but thats it. It doesnt need "an awesome villan" to work, hell having someone like Sabertooth in it would totally detract from the story and the central theme of logan finding his humanity again and the parental bonds between Logan and the main supporting characters.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 7, 2017

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gyges posted:

The old man rage yells in the woods were fantastic.

https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/status/839108592447995907

:3:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That's my ringtone now

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Not empty quoting.

Whoever up above said that this is treating it like a puzzle to be solved is spot on.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So until very last minutes of the movie, Logan was a mediocre but still entertaining diversion. Before the very end, there were two parts that made it bad. First, the undercurrents of sadism, with comic book heroes turned pitiful old men writhing on the floor. Second, the was the thick, syrupy sentimentalism (which would once or twice immediately turn int more gruesome violence).

They were bad things, but as an comic book ex-fan I would be lying if I said that seeing Wolverine mutilating people in all of its R-Rated glory wasn't entertaining enough and cathartic.

But in the end.... well, this movie has Wolverine die, after so many adventures of varying quality. It wasn't a particularly impressive death scene, but not bad either. But after that, he gets an improvised funeral. All the mourners are kids, and one of the kids is mournfully squeezing onto his Wolverine action figure. It's a minor detail, but it really loving sums up the movie. After all, it's the last we actually see of Wolverine, since he's dead and buried..

It's so loving terrible that everything good and bad about the movie is now filtered through that one tiny detail, because it gets to the heart of what the movie is about : the death of an action figure..

However, if you want to see Wolverine cut up some people, you're probably going to enjoy this movie.

How can you be so spot on in your Rothfuss tear-ups but so incredibly wrong here? It's kinda baffling.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

what a sweet job

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
The complaints about the water tower as an attempt to shield Xavier are pretty funny seeing as the drat thing plain doesn't work (see first seizure scene) and is pretty clearly Logan and Caliban just trying to find something that works and failing just like the rest of their attempts to control Xavier's condition.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PJOmega posted:

How can you be so spot on in your Rothfuss tear-ups but so incredibly wrong here? It's kinda baffling.

Maybe you don't see it because in this scenario you are Jivjov :v:

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
The water tower had a bunch of holes in it and probably had nothing to do with actually shielding Xavier. Being in the middle of nowhere in Mexico is why they were there (lack of people to notice/get harmed).

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 7, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So is Shane really good then? I've literally never heard of it until this, and now I see a bunch of articles like "Oh yeah seminal film that influenced allllllllll the filmmakers." Westerns usually bore me, but maybe I'll give it a go.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shane is really good. It is also very dated and a seminal western, so you might not enjoy it.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
If behind the scenes stuff interests you here is a really great article on some of the CG work done for the film

Edit: Article is very upfront with major spoilers

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Shane is really good. It is also very dated and a seminal western, so you might not enjoy it.

Yeah, for someone who's never seen it, it may have a "Godfather problem," where it feels derivative because of how influential it was. Aspects of it found their way into so many westerns, it's easy to lose track of how original it was upon release.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Captain_Person posted:

If behind the scenes stuff interests you here is a really great article on some of the CG work done for the film

Wow that was very informative. I didn't even notice any of those.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Captain_Person posted:

Completely seamless. I wonder if the CGI avatars could pull off dialogue or if it would become really obvious then.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
It's cool when people write posts critiquing movies they clearly weren't paying attention to. Hold on, how did Laura know the entire end speech to Shane? Where did that green vial come from, somehow I missed the five other times it came up in the movie. I have a bladder problem and had to pee the entire middle of the movie, why is Professor X old now?

Captain_Person posted:

Rogue One should be held as an example of lovely CGI people and Logan as a good one.

Vhak lord of hate fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 7, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look I just don't think it's fair to dismiss any and all questions I have about the movie because "It's a movie and it's just trying to tell the story and doesn't have to spoon feed you all the answers" like duh, I know that, but it doesn't stop the questions from coming and some of them are sloppy writing concerns. Like in the first scene Logan just grunts and buckshot pushes itself out of his chest and arms, but then like 30 minutes later he cuts his hand open on his own claws and needs a bandage.

I'm admitting I missed all the Shane parallels, but 30 seconds of them watching a movie was bookended by the 2nd biggest fight scene in the movie and Xavier's psychic seizure scene, which were way more engaging and maybe its my fault that i can't divorce the two decades of comic books I'm going into this movie with the film itself. The questions i'm raising, like it or not, are the kinds of nitpicky things that get brought up when you discuss marvel/dc comics, because its entirely within the realm of plausibility that a minor detail like what the water tower is made of or where all Xavier's money went is going to be an important plot point later on down the line.

I just think its weird the entire plot revolves around them escaping to Canada and finding asylum but we don't know how or through whom because all we ever hear is that one radio communication between the Earthmover dude. I don't think it would have detracted from the film to put in like a single line about "These people reached out to us and told us where we could find safety".

All i'm saying is this movie could have swapped out the 30 minutes Logan and Xavier spent ruining some country families entire life for maybe a single flashback of Charles's first psychic break and their subsequent flight south of the border and many of my gripes would probably get washed away there. Actually, instead of a flashback, make it a literal nightmare, and then he wakes up and tells Logan all about it and then X-24 surprise ganks him.

The "point of the film" is to tell the story of James Howlett's final days, redeeming himself from a life of murder and pain by helping the new generation of mutants to safety and metaphorically/literally overcoming the endless rage of his past (X-24) in order to do so. The film says goodbye to two of the most beloved characters in the Marvel universe and provides us closure on their stories, I didn't miss the loving point because it's not a complicated movie at all, and I got all of that even without the now obvious Shane parallels, which shows that yes they obviously did something very right, but a lot of people can't just go "That doesn't really make sense to me but whatever, it's a movie so I'm probably just dumb for caring".

Captain_Person posted:

This is loving super cool

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 7, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bust Rodd posted:

The questions i'm raising, like it or not, are the kinds of nitpicky things that get brought up when you discuss marvel/dc comics,

They are not wanted, or welcomed, here. Perhaps you could post your brilliant observations on {literally the entire rest of the internet where this sort of dross is welcomed and even celebrated}.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok Pal, I'm sorry i didn't realize this was a Logan hugbox where we all just sit in a circle and wonder why the movie wasn't rated even higher on Rotten Tomaters...

:jerkbag:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok Pal, I'm sorry i didn't realize this was a Logan hugbox where we all just sit in a circle and wonder why the movie wasn't rated even higher on Rotten Tomaters...

You've confused "we don't like your boring negative posts" with "we don't like negative posts".

In the interest of being constructive: you admit that a cool action scene made you forget that the film lays its entire thesis at your feet, you continually and repeatedly fail to infer very basic motivations and setting information from what the movie presents, and you spend your time lamenting that CHARACTER X didn't do THING Y like you wanted. It's absolutely godawful go-nowhere criticism that isn't insightful or interesting. Please stop.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 7, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

The questions i'm raising, like it or not, are the kinds of nitpicky things that get brought up when you discuss marvel/dc comics

Logan is a movie.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm admitting I missed all the Shane parallels, but 30 seconds of them watching a movie

It isn't like this was playing in the background and other poo poo was going on. Laura and Xavier are literally sitting down and the camera clearly focuses on showing the movie, and then the characters even specifically mention the title of the movie. This was an important scene. Even someone who didn't know Shane was an actual film should understand that it was a scene worth remembering.

quote:

what the water tower is made of

It doesn't really matter specifically what it is made of; the message is it really isn't helping and only serves to isolate Charles to mitigate the damage his seizures can cause

quote:

or where all Xavier's money went

They're clearly in hiding and even if his money is stashed in a bank it isn't like they can easily access without being noticed. Hiding out and buying medicine on the black market is expensive. They even made a point of that in the film when Logan delivers the batch of medicine to Caliban, and that they don't quite have enough money for the boat.

quote:

I just think its weird the entire plot revolves around them escaping to Canada and finding asylum but we don't know how or through whom because all we ever hear is that one radio communication between the Earthmover dude. I don't think it would have detracted from the film to put in like a single line about "These people reached out to us and told us where we could find safety".

The movie makes it pretty clear that this refuge place isn't necessarily real, it is just something that those kids are hoping are real and their only source is second or third hand information.

I mean it really doesn't seem like you paid attention to the movie. Maybe stick to movies that are 90 minutes or less? That might help.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 7, 2017

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Gosh, it's almost like the movie makers hoped the audience would infer all those details from what was shown onscreen and figure it out for themselves instead of doll out every detail in spoon-sized portions. Boneheaded mistake right there!

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Another fun tibit: Siddhartha Mukherjee, author of The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer and The Gene: An Intimate History was the first person listed in the final acknowledgments during the credits.

Not really much else to say about it, but I thought it was kinda neat.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

The questions i'm raising, like it or not, are the kinds of nitpicky things that get brought up when you discuss marvel/dc comics, because its entirely within the realm of plausibility that a minor detail like what the water tower is made of or where all Xavier's money went is going to be an important plot point later on down the line.
That is categorically not the case with this movie. This has long been billed as the final movie for these two actors in these two roles. It isn't setting anything else up, it stands largely on it's own. That's what many people in this thread have observed about it and love about it. Some have argued it's barely even a "comic book movie" and it sounds like you might enjoy it more if you could view it that way as well.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 7, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

All i'm saying is this movie could have swapped out the 30 minutes Logan and Xavier spent ruining some country families entire life

this is the part where Logan learns about family and love and is literally the emotional core of the movie. It is their one normal moment where they are all happy. And you think they should have dumped it for a flashback.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 7, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

this is the part where Logan learns about family and love and is literally the emotional core of the movie. It is their one normal moment where they are all a happy. And you think they should have dumped it for a flashback.

Or maybe throw in like 4-5 dream sequences...hmmm...maybe Zack Snyder could make an ULTIMATE EDITION of Logan.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bust Rodd posted:

The questions i'm raising, like it or not, are the kinds of nitpicky things that get brought up when you discuss marvel/dc comics, because its entirely within the realm of plausibility that a minor detail like what the water tower is made of or where all Xavier's money went is going to be an important plot point later on down the line.

Steve2911 posted:

That list of "problems" is exactly why superhero movies and their fans are awful

Bust Rodd posted:

All i'm saying is this movie could have swapped out the 30 minutes Logan and Xavier spent ruining some country families entire life for maybe a single flashback of Charles's first psychic break and their subsequent flight south of the border and many of my gripes would probably get washed away there.
Well done you just ruined the film.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I think that would distract from the point. The movie does have some points about refugees and immigration, but the point at the end is not the brave nation of Canada standing up to multinational eugenicists. The kids aren't, as Logan thinks, trying to find some technological utopia from a comic book. They're going to build somewhat normal lives with each other as family, that's the real end goal.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Though thinking on the family bit there is one thing that I realized on reflection -- At the very end, Logan says the ambiguous 'so this is what it's like...' line. When I first watched I assumed that it was referencing Xavier's 'this is what family is like' speech but it only just now occurred that real Logan never actually heard that speech. It works thematically, but he wasn't present to hear it so it's a little odd.

There's a minor nitpick, I guess.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

NmareBfly posted:

Though thinking on the family bit there is one thing that I realized on reflection -- At the very end, Logan says the ambiguous 'so this is what it's like...' line. When I first watched I assumed that it was referencing Xavier's 'this is what family is like' speech but it only just now occurred that real Logan never actually heard that speech. It works thematically, but he wasn't present to hear it so it's a little odd.

There's a minor nitpick, I guess.

He did hear it, actually. He hears it before he goes out to help the farmer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He's referring to dying either way. After dealing it out so long now he gets to experience it, finally.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The last sequence of the movie is Logan going from The Wolverine, to Shane, to James Howlett, father and X-Man. It's legit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's both. He's talking about both things.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

He did hear it, actually. He hears it before he goes out to help the farmer.

Oh right, I'm an idiot. I thought Xavier said it when he woke up in the AM. Welp, nevermind then.

quote:

He's referring to dying either way. After dealing it out so long now he gets to experience it, finally.

That's the thing -- you can look at it either way. It's death or love. No way to know for sure.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The last sequence of the movie is Logan going from The Wolverine, to Shane, to James Howlett, father and X-Man.

You forget one step - action figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You forget one step - action figure.

Very true. Into myth.

• Locked thread