Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

It also explains why Logan is trying to get them a boat. He wants to keep them isolated.

My only real complaint is that it ends with the wrong Johnny Cash song. I know it got used in the trailer, but come on, 'Hurt' was a perfect song to use.

Agreed.

Logan owned and I hope it signals an evolution of "superhero" films. Even if it doesn't, it's an incredible film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

A quasi-subtle point I liked:

Logan hates flying or, one would guess, sailing over large bodies of water because if he falls in he'll sink like a boulder and be stuck in a never-ending cycle of drowning and coming back (or just flat drowning and dying). But by this time he's fine with living on the ocean for the rest of his days with Charles, because if he falls in and drowns he doesn't loving care anymore.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was Caliban in Apocalypse or any of the other X-Men movies?

He was in X-Men: Apocalypse, though played by a different actor. He ran that underground operation in Cairo, where Ororo was hanging out IIRC.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

It's just such a breath of fresh air to have a superhero movie that does its own thing- isn't an origin story, doesn't have to lean on existing continuity or set things up for future installments. It serves no masters except telling a compelling story. If it does well, I hope that's the lesson studios take from it, not that the movies need to have more titties, and blood, and cusses. (Spoiler: they will take the wrong lessons)

Hey guess what, you're totally right on that account, since Todd McFarlane has once again renewed his pledge to make an R-rated Spawn film.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Her primal screams was the most unsettling part of the movie, certainly more so than the action. Which is why walking back from her being a feral child was such a weird choice.
It's like not remotely weird and one of the major plot point/character arcs though?

I watched John Wick, and it was a great counterpoint in how effectively it used action choreography to a certain effect. It was so restrained and professionally deliberate that it quickly becomes sickening how coolly the hero offs countless people, making it both exciting and repulsive. Logan's fight choreography is unremarkable, and doesn't evoke the animalistic motifs the characters embody. X-23's Caerbannogian jumps and flips are the obvious exception to that. When Logan returns in top form on a berserker rampage, what changes is that he runs a lot and jumps once.

I agree, the fight choreography in Logan was unremarkable, except for the times it was remarkable. Well said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Actually Man of Steel is good because of how well it translates the promises and potential of comic book fantasies into exciting cinema,

Actually Man of Steel was loving boring and stupid and an insult to any fan of Superman beyond whatever shallow appeal he has to manchildren with pathetic power fantasies.

• Locked thread