Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This also has the effect of completely undermines the movie's mumbling about how violence is bad, since this makes it so affectless and normalized.

That part was intense though. This reminds of how when that young guy gets his face smashed in in Fight Club, they made a super realistic gross range of prosthetics and stuff with the intention to show every single hit happening and destroying the guy's face even more, but then decided it was more effective by not showing it. Or like when that ear gets cut off in Resevoir Dogs, it was another point where originally it was going to happen on screen but Tarantino decided it would be more intense if it was implied rather than shown.

One of things that makes Logan's action great is that it displays a full spectrum of cinematic violence. And while compares itself to westerns all the time, reminds me of a gorier version of another great deconstruction of the myths of the wild west, Unforgiven. But while Unforgiven's characters give us a great meditation on different people's reactions to the use of and need for/unneeded violence, Logan addresses that more directly with how violence and action are portrayed in the movies it comes from. Not to say I think Logan is as good a film as Unforgiven, just they take similar approaches to their source material, with a pulp story's premise being torn to shreds even being a major plot point in each as a less glorious, realer "myth" emerges at the end. The other characters aren't consistent with this, but Logan himself has a slow steady increase in how gory his own actions are and I think that's a strength of the movie and not a mistake that normalizes violence. Like movies happened before Blade and X-Men 2000, the violence itself has been normalized effectively for our entire lives.

I do think the movie itself excludes a lot of the futuristic things some might have expected intentionally. I mean the movie's only set in 2029 it's not going to look like even the 90s X-Men comics as far as the kind of sci-fi poo poo they have flying around if they want it to be even close to grounded to anything. But it also works because the US is very specifically a bigoted shithole. They show that during the Mexican border scene check out the lines, it's a border where everyone's leaving the US and no one's coming in, and the US and its ideals are explicitly not worth fighting for or living for so our heroes' goal is to leave for Canada. When I saw it I got a really strong vibe of there being a brain drain throughout the US, and while maybe mutants don't necessarily automatically have it easy the minute they step out of US soil, the US dying from its own racist fears was definitely something I felt like the movie got across.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

drat, I should check out Excalibur. Cheers for the pointer.

Excalibur is awesome but very very long, be warned. Also if you haven't seen Batman vs. Superman, it's not amazing but Snyder is a HUGE Excalibur fan and there are quite a few references to it (both as Easter eggs and some shot recreations) throughout it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread