Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Loved the movie.

The work that Hugh Jackman puts in is way beyond what you'd expect for a superhero movie and seeing Patrick Stewart as a senile, angry and bitter old man is going to hit home for a lot of people. The villains were kind of forgettable but I don't think they were the point of the movie. It was basically a western about a man trying to give a poo poo again and ride out one last time.

The only thing I thought was missing was Wolverine getting a hug from Laura. I know it's totally cliche but drat, getting a hug from your child is always awesome :3:

I didn't know there wasn't a post credit scene but I'm glad they didn't put one in. Having another villain pop up or Wolverine claw his way out of that grave would have ruined a lot of the film for me. I'd be happy to see Wolverine on screen again but this was a really good end to a long run. I think Logan is going to basically change how future superhero films are going to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Did they ever indicate that Canada was a better place for mutants anywhere else?

I don't think they did and we aren't even sure if the voice on the radio was legit and not just more trouble.

From the last scene, it basically looked like the kids were never really going to escape being hunted and that Laura was destined to walk the same life Wolverine did.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I think this is a pretty drat cynical reading. The end of the film had a lot of hope, and all signs pointed to the opposite of your reading. We were given no reason to doubt the radio or Canadian sanctuary. Laura seemed to be set up to be a very different person with a very different future than Logan. While Logan was always running away from everything, Laura runs toward things and takes an active part in her own destiny, rather than Logan's passive reluctant heroism. She WANTS to be a part of her mutant family, opposed to Logan's obligation to Charles.

Ending spoilers

I don't know. The quote from Shane at the end reinforced the fact that the world had still gone to poo poo. Logan might have cleared this valley free of guns but the wild west stays the same and at the end, we see Laura take up the same code about killing that Logan does. Logan was only running away because he was the one that use to run towards things and if Laura follows that path then presumably everyone she cares about will die too.

I've only seen the movie once and don't know much about the comics but I didn't think that Canada was shown to be some kind of superpower or safe haven. All we got was a voice on the radio and the reluctance of American operators to cross the border although they had no problems crossing into Mexico.

Even if they get to Canada they're still hosed. They're just a bunch of kids and the evil genetically modified corn company can always just print grow more mutant soldiers while the Canadians might turn out to be another bad end. The kids are basically on their own.

There is a glimmer of hope at in the film but I still don't think these kids are going to live happily ever after or find safety in a school for mutants.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Ponderous Saxon posted:

Can any X-Men-ologist illuminate why Charles considered Logan such a disappointment? It seems a pretty harsh assessment given Logan's loyalty and attempts to lead a normal life resulted in him being so horribly broken.

coyo7e posted:

Basically, Logan was always supposed to be the team leader, the older and level-headed mentor for the rest of the team to look up to. Instead, he stayed an rear end in a top hat and Cyclops kind of strolled in, took his girl, took his intended role, and drank his milkshake on many other levels... And then they all died except for Logan, and maybe things could've turned out better if Xavier had succeeded with Logan.

I'd really be interested in seeing a Wolverine: Origins movie, now. I'd like to see how they might change things around for the screen, and I think more people ought to see that story about the boy named dog, there were definitely some surprises.

I didn't get the impression that Xavier was actually disappointed though, he was just another old mean man with brain issues and he would have woken up the next day having completely forgotten what he said or was upset about it.

Patrick Stewart's performance was really unsettling and it would have touched a nerve with certain people because if you've dealt with family members with dementia/Alzheimer's, this is pretty much how they act. They're just not all there anymore and living with them and looking after them is inevitably miserable and frustrating for both parties.

• Locked thread