Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They may as well have THIS IS EXTREMELY RELEVANT PAY ATTENTION flashing on screen during the sequence where the characters settle down for a moment to watch and discuss Shane.

What's worse - when they do this, or when a there's a scene in a classroom in the film that has a professor or instructor spell out one of the film's major themes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

got any sevens posted:

The scene of this in Dark City owns though.

It does, and many of my favorite movies like The Gambler, Enemy and Halloween do it too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

Are we talking about the Mark Wahlberg The Gambler as one of your favorite movies? I'd completely dismissed it.

Nah, the James Caan movie it's based on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Some of my favorites are Candyman and, not quite the same but equally lame exposition, the part in The Wicker Man where suddenly Howie has a voiceover for like 15 seconds and then starts talking out loud to himself in a library

I LOVE that part in Wicker Man.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I don't think it's lame as in bad, just that it's like this very clear "aw gently caress it, I spent all this time reading Golden Bough and I'm getting this exposition in the drat movie" moment. The old lady giving him the stinkeye even doubles as an audience stand in

Oh, I know. I just think Robin Hardy was especially skilled at that kind of unusual, wry humor. His only other non Wicker movie, The Fantasist, is full of that stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brainiac Five posted:

Based on his posts so far in this thread, he believes Man of Steel fosters a proper Volksgemeinschaft like mythology does, while Logan only offers Gesellschaft relationships. Now, I would dispute these assertions, but I doubt there's any point in objecting because that would mark you as outside Volksgemeinschaft.

This tbh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hodgepodge posted:

Profs will actually take marks off for writing like that; they already know it's your opinion, you don't have to remind them constantly.

Yeah, I remember getting dinged for that a few times.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's a good enjoyable movie you twat. Are you also mad at all the people that enjoy sitcoms or whatever?

Well, hold on a second. Surely any film should clear the extremely low bar set by sitcoms?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Flunchy posted:

drat, I should check out Excalibur. Cheers for the pointer.

Excalibur does indeed own.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well why not posted:

Excalibur totally rules but just be warned it is very, very long.

Pretty much every blockbuster is around 2.5 hours these days so that's not a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think part of what makes it feel like that is that the film takes place over like 40 years.

• Locked thread