Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That was a pretty good movie, even leaving out the "comic book" qualifier. I feel like I was the only person in my group of friends who picked up on what it was saying about America though. No one else noticed the border wall or the implication of a bunch of illegal immigrants trying to escape from America, not to America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yes, I was just amazed they didn't see it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"~Given that the movie establishes Logan has no beef carving up dudes who gently caress with him, there has to be a better way to make money for him than being a loving limo driver

~Where did all of Xavier's money go? How does a rusty water tower protect him from psychic interference?

~We are given a threadbare non-explanation for Wolverine's healing factor being all hosed up and it functions exactly as well as the plot needs it to right up until they give him a LITERAL MAGIC POTION that reverts him from Diet Wolverine to Classic Wolverine (the sequence where he is chain-mauling dudes in the Yukon in a bloody tank top was worth the cost of the matinee ticket alone, however, so *shrug*)

~The only thing that can stop Wolverine is a younger, dumber Wolverine! Unless the older, smarter Wolverine with 100+ years of combat training could somehow gain the upper hand"
-He's lying low and avoiding drawing attention to the fact that he's Wolverine. It's also getting harder and harder for him to fight; he has to yank his claws out even.

-His money probably went towards his medicine which costs 45k a pop, apparently. The water tower is a close approximation of that Cerebro thing which did the same thing. It's not particularly effective.

-He's dying of metal poisoning and age, the implication is his healing factor is focusing on the lead adamantium poisoning and not on the bullet holes. The potion's the same drugs they give X-24, they grabbed the vial from them.

Logan loses to him both times! The first time Laura saves Logan by pinning X-24 with the car, the second time she shoots him in the head.

The fat kid supersoldier got a laugh out of the theater though.

e: Uh do quotes not get hidden inside spoiler tags now? I had to edit the quote blocks out to hide it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 7, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir Kodiak posted:

The spoiler tags have to be inside the quote tags, not the other way around.

Ohh, thanks for the headsup.

quote:

Now Shane has no direct analogue to Professor X, and Logan has no analogue to the low-key love story playing out in Shane. It's not a direct copy or a remake. But watching Shane will really help the viewer get a handle on what Logan is trying to do.

I haven't watched it but the few scenes they showed in the film were enough to get me to see what it was doing. Even without it though it's got pretty obvious western influences.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bust Rodd posted:

We already have Magneto's helmet and Juggernaught's helmet in universe to tell us "You need special metal to block psychic interference" and the water tower that you can literally see through the rusty holes of does not seem to be on par with that, so the answer to the question could have been "It was nice of Magneto to help you hide like this" or something. I'm glad the movie picks up pretty much right when you see their hideout because that whole sequence just had me scratching my head until the bad guys show up.

It's "best they can do in the desert" not "good"; we first see Professor X talking about Taco Bell. It's rusted and full of holes and he's communicating with Laura anyway. The whole point is it's not really working but they can't do any better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He's referring to dying either way. After dealing it out so long now he gets to experience it, finally.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Very true. Into myth.

That's where the real money's made! Unless you're a mutant I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

The scene I want still didn't quite happen. I want to powered up healers to just go to loving town on each other. Essentially, the finale of ravenous, but with more steroids. We got glimpses of it in this film, but not enough.

Laura went hogwild at least. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As someone who got a B in high school Spanish, I found it pretty easy to figure out what Laura was saying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wolverine's Vaguely Racist Japanese Adventure is pretty entertaining for what it is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The answer will just be "it's not that" so rest easy, ungulateman.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Adonis posted:

It's been awhile since i've seen such an utterly joyless film.

Don't see Beavis then

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

All the talk of Wolverine-as-myth becomes incredibly facile once you actually consider what that myth is.

As a child I know I'd look down up to a short hairy man with knives in his arms that swears and drinks a lot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Historical and semi-historical figures, like Jesus, who are figures of common and shared cultural significance in our myths.

Certainly not superheroes, since they're products of mass market pulp fiction rather than collectively produced mythology and folklore like Gilgamesh, Achilles, Odysseus, etc.

Lincolnman, with the crippling weakness to bullets.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What about Thor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruddiger posted:

I bet there was some Roman centurion making fun of all the little Jew kids with their Jesus idols toys. He probably poo poo talked the gospels and wrote on some message board carved in the wailing wall that this joke religion with all their toys idols is pretty transparent in its pandering to the masses, not like a REAL religion or ideology or anything.

My two favorite ancient rome facts are that they made action figures of gladiators complete with accessories, and that the wall carvings/graffiti is more or less what we post right now. "i'm gay"s and all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Simply Simon posted:

"So Batman, he's like 'uh I don't like guns, you know' and I never got that - it's an action film, why doesn't he just shoot the fuckers?"

I didn't know Zack Snyder posts here

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jedit posted:

In the very early years before the character was fully formed, Batman did sometimes use a gun.

I know, I was joking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's odd that people have invented a history of Wolverine being anti-gun on principle, when it's really guns not just fitting his fighting style.

If only he remembered the basics of CQC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ferrinus posted:

It's really hosed up because those robots obviously should have been based on Darwin's power, not Mystique's power.

They killed the coolest guy off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

UmOk posted:

Is this the Star Wars thread? You forgot bad cgi.

I agree with BotL that it was extremely immature to have Logan step in the poopie.

• Locked thread