Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I loved it, but I gotta say the idea that one food company can distribute a mutant cure to the world is kind of insane. I could understand no more mutants in the US, but there are a lot of food cycles that don't touch upon our corn fructose.

Minor issue aside, by far the best Marvel movie, and a drat fine film on its own merits. A lot of weight from having two actors play characters over a seventeen year span, and an amazing send off.

As soon as I saw the bedroom bathed in light it was a gorgeous cinematic way of saying "Xavier dies here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Did anyone else find it laughable that of course the black kid gets electricity powers?

Is that even meta at this point? I know it was a running thing in comics at one point.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

That list of "problems" is exactly why superhero movies and their fans are awful.

Talk about missing the point of every second of a film.

Not empty quoting.

Whoever up above said that this is treating it like a puzzle to be solved is spot on.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So until very last minutes of the movie, Logan was a mediocre but still entertaining diversion. Before the very end, there were two parts that made it bad. First, the undercurrents of sadism, with comic book heroes turned pitiful old men writhing on the floor. Second, the was the thick, syrupy sentimentalism (which would once or twice immediately turn int more gruesome violence).

They were bad things, but as an comic book ex-fan I would be lying if I said that seeing Wolverine mutilating people in all of its R-Rated glory wasn't entertaining enough and cathartic.

But in the end.... well, this movie has Wolverine die, after so many adventures of varying quality. It wasn't a particularly impressive death scene, but not bad either. But after that, he gets an improvised funeral. All the mourners are kids, and one of the kids is mournfully squeezing onto his Wolverine action figure. It's a minor detail, but it really loving sums up the movie. After all, it's the last we actually see of Wolverine, since he's dead and buried..

It's so loving terrible that everything good and bad about the movie is now filtered through that one tiny detail, because it gets to the heart of what the movie is about : the death of an action figure..

However, if you want to see Wolverine cut up some people, you're probably going to enjoy this movie.

How can you be so spot on in your Rothfuss tear-ups but so incredibly wrong here? It's kinda baffling.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Edit: Really not worth feeding the troll.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 8, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Helmets like Magneto's and Juggernaut's stop psychic abilities because the stories require them to. That's it. Why do geeks get so caught up in the trappings of a story they miss the text, both subtle and blatant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gyges posted:

• 1)This is silly nit picking
  • 2)They are very clear that all the previous movies are to be taken at one quarter value and with a grain of salt
  • 3)Since Xavier is picking up Taco Bell commercials at the beginning of the movie, the inference is that Logan chose the giant tank in the middle of nowhere to act like a janky Faraday Cage

I thought the Taco Bell commercial was ambiguously either an artifact of psychically talking to a nine year old or being utterly delirious. I don't think "psychic brain" picks up radio waves.

Then again the bunker wasn't wrapped in tinfoil so maybe Canewood was trying to hack his mind. /sarcasm.

• Locked thread