Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It reminded me, in the best way, of the more recent Universal Soldier movies, which remain the two most surprisingly good movies ever.

The little touches throughout are nice. Like how the corporation thinks it can get away with anything down in Mexico (a standard trope), but that it's the empathy and humanity of the local Mexican workers that undoes their plan. It's a nice reinforcement of the idea that while institutions may go bad, people endure.

I also liked that Logan has two kids. One is just his violence and rage, recommencing the cycle. He's angry wolverine, but he's young and will make all Logan's mistakes. The other starts out violent, but learns and changes.

Also, the Reavers looked great. It was cool to see 'cyborg mercs' just presented as a thing that exists.

Oh yeah, and how the action climax was just the right length. Lots of killing, but also gets to the point. Too many third acts now just get bloated and have way too many beats and drag them out way too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

He's only an X-Man when he's hopped up on meds for five minutes, though. Otherwise he's just a character ~40 years past the point he should've been rebooted.

E: The farther away from seeing this movie, the more I appreciate it as an Elseworlds title that doesn't actually fit into the story (Logan doesn't die in a shitheel world, just as Bruce Banner doesn't die like in Hulk: The End), and so can be effortlessly removed from memory. Can't wait for the next X-Men movie with a rebooted Wolverine.

You have a really fuckin' weird way of looking at movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I really hope this is super successful and that people pay attention to how different this is from other super hero stories. Like I want a goddamn Gotham by Gaslight movie.

You're almost definitely old enough to remember how the Matrix blew people's minds with a combination of visuals, story telling, stylistic influences, thematic weight and people paid attention and assumed that 'bullet time' was the one thing they should take away.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gyges posted:

On the other hand, Logan is the way it is because Deadpool was a successful R rated movie. Which is at the very least a minor miracle that at least one entire project in Hollywood seems to have learned a proper lesson from the success of another movie and refrained from simply parroting elements of the previous success.

I'm not looking forward to SHAZAM, now with 100% more Miracle Man!

Deadpool was successful because underneath all the flippant violence and humour, there's a completely sincere love story. It's also really well structured.

So, I don't know, do you think Logan's takeaway was 'let's make this movie good' or something? Because that's why Deadpool succeeded.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's one odd to praise Deadpool for, because its structure was really un-cinematic and led it to feeling very anemic. The hero's lowest point and greatest struggle are contained entirely in flashback, while the main narrative ends up being very, very barebones (hero attacks villain, villain kidnaps hero's girlfriend, hero fights villain). This ends up diminishing the movie's conflict. The movie feels like a two part television pilot, where the flashbacks formed the first episode until they were cut up between parts of the second episode.

That's sort of my point. Every first movie in a comic book thing has ended up feeling really similar, and Deadpool did something else. I, and plenty of other people, found it worked well and felt a bit different. The smaller scale was, again, nice. I've seen enough world ending columns of light, and this one's main struggle was about Deadpool vs his own appearance. You're also wrong, his low point is when he realises he can't be fixed. His struggle is internal, his love for Copycat clashing with the belief that she can't love him back unless he's sexy Ryan Reynolds. Sure, you can focus on the external plot, which is simple, but that ignores how much of actual narrative and themes are in the flashbacks. Also, since he is essentially invulnerable, the action scenes are pretty much just extraneous fun anyway.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

"Scale" has nothing to do with this. There are movies that are way "smaller-scale" than Deadpool but still feel like cinema. Like Snatch or The Hangover. Logan is roughly the same scale in terms of plot, and it has way more modest setpieces. It's not a good movie, but it's still cinema. Deadpool just feels like television, which is terrible for a movie.

Can you and will you explain what makes it feel like television? It can't be the anemic plot, because plenty of films, including a bunch of classics, have anemic plots.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I know this. I really do know. The Matrix should have redefined studios relationships with directors and refreshed their willingness to take a chance on an original property. Instead, they just mashed bullet time into everything for at least five years. I can't remember any faux bullet time or ill placed wire work after 2004, but I'm probably wrong.

How strikingly inambitious everything in the movie is, and the structure and the pacing of the story. Aside from the few action scenes, there was almost nothing that couldn't be replicated on television. [/url]
This is still kind of a weird complaint, unless you're just articulating poorly, since the exact same thing could be said of, say, 12 Angry Men, or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Also, with TV going the way it is, there's less and less that 'couldn't be replicated on TV' I mean, we got 'The Battle of the Bastards' on TV, and that faux long take is actually a fair bit better than a lot of movie battle scenes.

quote:

Blind Al specifically comes off across as a character written as if they were being introduced in a TV pilot and going to be expanded on later.
Or just a character with a very specific purpose in the film that they didn't want to spend too much time on.

[quote]
The most striking moment of television-level storytelling is how there is no absolute "low-point" or ultimate trial to the heroic struggle, except in a flashback (the cartoon animals part is the closest thing in the main narrative). It's such a basic thing, which is why it's absence is so glaring. There's no sense of escalation or overcoming obstacles. And it's not that it's a comedy, plenty of comedies have serious struggles and conflicts.
That sounds like it's structured differently, not poorly. After all, it's not like Deadpool has an easy run of it, getting cancer, getting tortured, then deformed, then set on fire, then shot up, then his girlfriend getting kidnapped and discovering there's no way to come back from being deformed. Not to mention that plenty of TV episodes do in fact have absolute low points. In fact, in both serious shows, and flippant ones, there's a habit of ending on those low points.

Ultimately, your 'this is like TV' thing seems about as solid and useful a criticism as 'it's like a video game'

SimonCat posted:

Dolph Lundgren Punisher came out in '89 and was a hard R.

It's weird, Louis Gossett Jr. gives this amazing dramatic performance in such a schlocky film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkjQEBvcAdE
It's a weird movie. Dolph played the role in a way that even Garth Ennis would have approved, as a weird, broken man who can barely keep his motivation straight, but it's also a corny 80s film with kids that need rescuing and an army of ninjas he fights in a skate park.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The scene I want still didn't quite happen. I want to powered up healers to just go to loving town on each other. Essentially, the finale of ravenous, but with more steroids. We got glimpses of it in this film, but not enough.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

You don't see bullet time anymore, but you still see that technique from the second Matrix where action scenes go into slo-mo to emphasize cool poo poo happening. That's all over the place.

In its current form, I think that's more aping 300, with it's quite particular use of Speed ramping, but I guess the movement of the camera mirroring the movement of time is a matrix thing, so you're right.

McSpanky posted:

They did that in X2, but it wasn't R-rated so you didn't really have people like tearing steak-sized chunks out of each other and growing them back or anything gnarly like that.

That scene was so loving good. The initial charge when the camera flies in then seems to recoil from the impact is loving dope.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just on that, it's becoming an annoying thing in comic book movies, which tend to feature unarmed good guys facing off against bad guys with guns, that the henchmen run towards the hero, despite having guns. I mean, it's not like it would have done much against Laura anyway (that kid is going places, I hope) but it would have been good if she was moving from enemy to enemy, rather than them all running into the same two by two metre area.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just...everybody hold still and he'll probably leave.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

That scene was really good. So was the scene where Logan tries to drive through a fence to escape and it doesn't break

I really appreciated that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just on Yukio, I was kind of annoyed that she never appeared again. She was cool as hell, and set up to be Wolverine's bodyguard/sidekick, and in the three xmen movies that followed, she never appeared again once. Maybe she can show up in the continuing adventures of Laura.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

God Hole posted:

Excellent movie, however I did find it a little problematic that it had no qualms perpetuating the sentiment in film that albinos are inherently morally dubious and/or insufferable scoundrels.

Caliban was neither of those things. He had done bad things in his past and was trying to make up for them.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also X2 is awesome. The first has aged better than it has any right to, though it feels kind of quaint now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Erdricks posted:

I don't get the madmax / dystopian future analogies. I mean, they made it quite clear that they are able to farm and harvest food well enough to lace the food supply for an entire country with anti mutant gmos.

I mean, the future certainly sucks for mutants, but things seem quite normal and happy for average white folk who are going to Harrah's and seeing doctors and hiring Logan to drive them around for parties

Check your fuckin' prive...Oh, somebody covered this.

MacheteZombie posted:

Logan tried to avoid the fight at the very beginning of the movie. For multiple reasons.

I think he actually still tries to talk them out of it after two or three hits. It's only after they start beating him while he's down.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

He kinda tried talking out of getting robbed, only to slaughter them all not ten minutes into the movie's opening. He didn't show then nearly the same restraint as he did when sparing Pierce (twice ?), for some reason. Contrasting with revisionist westerns like Shane, or Unforgiven, Logan just seems enamored with its dope violence too much for similar themes to stick. On the other hand, it was great to see gore tech 3.0.

That reading really ignores not only the context but the actual text. He finally fights back against the carjackers after they've shot him at least once and are trying to beat him to death while he's on the ground. Pierce is knocked out the first time, and Logan takes him out to the desert and leaves him there in the hope of not actually fighting. And even when Pierce returns, Logan's focus is on escape, not the fight.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 14, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's kind of the same symbolism as the hero mask in Drive. The face of the hero is, ultimately, something horrifying and terrible.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Almost murdering someone for stopping her from shoplifting?

It was someone who touched her. There's a pretty clear cause effect relationship.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 19, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Certainly not superheroes, since they're products of mass market pulp fiction rather than collectively produced mythology and folklore like Gilgamesh, Achilles, Odysseus, etc.

All those characters were created by bards travelling around telling stories for money. The specifics and details changed from each telling to the next.

Whereas comic book characters were created by writers for money. The specifics and details change from one telling to the next.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

God drat Nazis appropriating my culture and history I ought to put a horse head on a pole carved with runic curses and face it their way.

Actual white supremacists did get super angry at a particular bit of casting in the Thor movies. You might be able to guess which bit it was.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Or the Punisher.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Not really, it was rather practical. An action hero using a gun isn't particularly impressive in itself.

If you ignore context, sub-text, text and the circumstances under which it took place, you've got a really good point

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Actually Man of Steel was loving boring and stupid and an insult to any fan of Superman beyond whatever shallow appeal he has to manchildren with pathetic power fantasies.

Wow. That is...not accurate at all.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

I never understood those mimic Sentinels. Wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper to tailor each robot (or even 2) to just specifically counter one mutant's powers, instead of being able to counter all mutant's powers ? I mean, you could even make dummy bots whose sole purpose is to get destroyed to figure out what powers they need to counter and it would still be much cheaper.

I'm picturing a room full of disgruntled scientists and engineers:. "Look, we already have cold guns and flamethrowers and poo poo. Why can't I just strap those on 50 Sentinels? Only one has to get through". "Now now, we talked about this. Not til they can mimic any mutant's powers".

Becuase it means the system is self sustaining. They don't have to build any new ones (or at least no new designs) the world will be oppressed forever.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

.or we could just catalog the (finite) numbers of powers present and tailor a solution to each one

That's what each Sentinel, on its own, is capable of doing on the fly in real time. And you think a whole design process and seperate Sentinel variant for each possible mutant power is the less overwrought solution?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

Again, I'm just saying someone must've already thought of just looking at their powers and making 50 of each to counter them, instead of their ultimate project which took decades to finish. And like half of them don't even make sense anyway. Colossus' guy was just like stronger and tougher. You can't exactly reverse every power, nor do you need to. Just overkill in my opinion.

It's really not supposed to be a rational or proportional response, which is why they've destroyed the whole world at the beginning of the film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

Right, but they could've destroyed the world with regular ol' murder bots instead of fantastically complicated death bots.
They never meant to kill the world. Or, at least, there's nothing in the film to suggest that anyone anticipated the neon-apocalypse, they just meant to control/eliminate mutants.

AvesPKS posted:

Right. They spent untold years and money developing a super special, highly advanced bot that...can figure out literally any powered mutant that currently exists or might exist in the future.

Yes. I really don't get what your problem with them is. There's also nothing to suggest they actually figured out flame guns, or ice guns, or whatever. The design they've gone with suggests that they didn't have to. And that's the point. They don't have to figure anything else out, ever. It's the singularity.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Nah, everything that goes wrong for Charles is entirely his own fault. That's not the same thing as saying he intended to do something, but for someone as powerful as Charles is in-universe there's no way he didn't know about his own condition.

Nah, I reckon the problem with assessing your own mind, using your own mind wouldn't be solved just because they're a telepath. It's like arguing that smart people would be able to spot dementia.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Meanwhile, the school had top of the line medical facilities and Charles invested a lot of resources into healing injuries and diseases in other (mutant) people as well as trying to fix the damage that crippled him. There is no way there wasn't a conversation between himself and Hank McCoy at some point about the damage that would happen as he got older if his control became erratic before his powers faded.

It's still plausible that he got caught off guard. There's "i'm having a bit of trouble remembering things (in my 70s)" Then there's "I've killed everyone near me that I care about."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Getting "creative" is what caused the problems with the fight scenes in Origins and The Wolverine, too much flipping around and flying through the air. This was perfect, he felt like he was actually trying to kill these guys quickly and efficiently.

As for the end, he and the kids simply were not going to be able to beat the clone, at least not by using their normal powers. Nobody but Laura was really thinking about the bullet at that moment, and the other kids didn't even know about it. So Logan wants them to use whatever time he can waste distracting the clone to try to cross the border. Of course, whether or not a deranged clone would even give a poo poo if they crossed the border is another matter, I imagine it would take a lot of Mounties to take him down. But still, that was what Logan was thinking there, that for them to stay and try to fight would be a death sentence.

Also that the clone isn't really a big picture dude. Richard Grant is the only guy who can control him, and he only goes after Logan because he's told Logan killed Grant. There's a good chance that if Logan can hold him off long enough, the clone will just forget about everyone else after killing him and just revert to being completely feral.

I do like the idea of some hikers stumbling across the feral clone a few years later.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

EKDS5k posted:

Couldn't he track them by scent? They'd be fresh, one's even bleeding already, and I could see him running down at least one or two before getting distracted.

Although the clone doesn't heal properly without that green serum. He spent the entire night hanging from a fence without regenerating his missing eye until he got an injection. All Logan has to do is wound him enough to slow him down, and then he won't be chasing anyone.

Oh, he could have, definitely. I'm just thinking that maybe he wouldn't. He seemed, by that point, pretty distractable.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

UmOk posted:

I need to find a movie I really dislike so I can post in a thread about how much I dislike it.

This is more or less why I'm on the internet, so I'm not going to judge, I just wish Lamps was better at it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Excalibur is fuckin' dope, and should be lauded as such. Logan isn't as good as Excalibur, but is also doing something very different. Also, most movies aren't as good as Excalibur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Excalibur is really worth watching, if for no other reason than it seems to be the last truly mythological take we're going to get on Arthur. Every other take has been some kind of ironic, post modern or de-mythologised take, whether its some kind of quasi historical thing, recasting him as a cockney urchin, showing it through the eyes of a young, bumbling Merlin, or whatever the gently caress Camelot was trying to do (keep James Purefoy employed, I guess)

• Locked thread