Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So of all the talk of X-24 being Wolverine's rage, there seems to be little talk of him being the brand. (apologies if I missed any discussion).

The nurse, the Trump painted doctor, and I think even the lead Reaver all made comments on copyrights of the powers, property of the company.
In that light, X-24 is the brand, a simple killing machine, the constant over all the stories, goes snikt and kills some dudes.
Meanwhile we have the man, he's old, scarred, suffering from PTSD, and just kinda falling apart. And then there's the legend, the myth, a hero that will fights for what's right and kills the bad guys.
The kids warn Logan not to take all of the drug at once, because it'll make him crazy, of note it just turns him into Wolverine® instead.
It's not that he's fighting his darker self at the end, it's that he's fighting what they try to make him. Both in story the Weapons X project, and in a meta sense Marvel comics.
The kids, young fresh IPs, even if derivative, are still too dangerous, too risky, better to stand by the old and familar.
In that Rice felt more inclined to treat X-24 as his son, than any of the children...
Logan, as a man, the high of killing worn off, shoots Rice and holds back X-24 until the kids are safe, thus transcending to the myth.
So he gets a hero's burial, while X-24 gets put down like a rabid dog.

It is interesting, in this movie though, that toys and comics were totems of the myth, though when I suppose the reality of the brand is a literal killing machine. Bit like kids playing with soldiers and cowboys, go figure.

My favourite section of the film was the hotel in Vegas, the Professor watching Shane with Laura was super cute, I had to laugh thinking about Logan's long ride up the elevator to save Charles and Laura, and Patrick Stewart's performance on the way out, his horrified apologies were just heartbreaking.

I do feel these themes of man/myth/brand were better explored in Batman V Superman. Also think that's a stronger movie, but Logan was still really good, and I look forward to watching it and digesting it some more. Hopefully this trend of comic book movies exploring ideas rather than being beholden to brands sticks around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Superheroes are most definitely myths, like I can't imagine what pedantic definition of myth you're using that doesn't concern a larger than life story of good vs. evil.
Logan even has the added benefit of spelling out how these goofy stories help kids shape a view of thew world, and create a better one!

Let's talk about cowboys though, our view of the cowboy is complete myth, or to put it otherwise a goddamn lie, modern views of the wild west and cowboys come from Buffalo Bill's Wild West, basically circus a show put on to entertain people. This later informed the western movies and TV shows, so we end up with a completely falsified view of what the West was actually like. There were no lone gunslingers, good or bad, or little houses on the prairie, it was mostly just a lot of disease and prostitutes.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

RBA Starblade posted:

My two favorite ancient rome facts are that they made action figures of gladiators complete with accessories, and that the wall carvings/graffiti is more or less what we post right now. "i'm gay"s and all.

Yeah, the surviving graffiti in places like Pompeii and such is amazing.
“Restituta, take off your tunic, please, and show us your hairy privates”

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not trying to get into a debate about the meaning of the word. The point is that there's a big difference between how real kids relate to Wolverine comics and how the kids in the movie Logan related to Wolverine comics.

More a dig at the dude that doesn't know what WASP or facile mean.

And I mean yeah, which is why I mentioned toys of soldiers and cowboys in my first post. Cowboys and soldiers exist, just not as our stories mythologize them. Which is why the comics are so great in Logan, he fills that role, and the kids using the co-ordinates in the comic to create their own Eden is beautiful.

Even if we have no super powers analogues in this world, I'd argue superpants are still important myths that shape our world, or at least how to view them.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
"People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances within our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive. That's what it's all finally about, and that's what these clues help us to find within ourselves."
"Myths are clues to the spiritual potentialities of the human life." - Joseph Campbell

Only the dead are found in history books, myths are living and breathing stories of what we are.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

A big part of the movie focuses on comic books/Wolverine being a symbol of hope to the next generation with Laura hopefully carrying on the kind parts of him after killing the cruel parts. I don't think it's saying "throw out your comics."

Yeah, Eden was just a random idea in a comic, but the kids use it as a beacon of hope.
Not entirely sure where the idea that "hope" means things are going to be easy comes from, there's light at the end of the tunnel sure, but you still have to go through the dark to get there.

In terms of myths, hope was underneath all the death and destruction inside Pandora's box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuPf3OhbcGw

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Roman Reigns posted:

Magneto was right. For some reason I find the corn syrup approach to mutant genocide more horrifying than killer robots. So soon after DOFP too...I guess mutants are destined to go extinct after all?

It's more horrifying I think, as it rings true.
Like robots, are just scifi fantasies and fascist day dreams.

For now...

The Holocaust brought to you by Monsanto just echos America's love of eugenics, and forced sterilization of Native American, black, and mentally ill women.
Like, we're talking in Mein Kampf Hitler praised America for this poo poo.
"It's 2029, why are you still talking about mutants." Indeed.

To me, moreso than the depictions of violence, and how it weighs on a man, or the fading of a mind with dementia, what really depressed me about this film is that twelve years from now, it's still the bleak hellscape we're living in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

LesterGroans posted:

The problem is that isn't a terrible shot from Logan and it's a not too good shot from Excalibur.

It's actually a pretty great shot from Excalibur, but Lamps meltdown is super strange because Logan isn't even a terrible looking movie.

Like, they seem to think a funny face ruins a shot's composition.

• Locked thread