Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

That would completely undercut the entire arc of the movie being that all Logan can do now is give someone else a chance for a future. You're talking about something that would require them to rebuild the movie from the ground up for it to make sense as the ending.

I thought it was pretty thematically consistent too, as X-24 being the embodiment of Wolverine's rage and in the end being defeated not by Logan, but by Laura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
lol at professor X and Logan abandoning the kids at the end of the movie to go sail on a boat in the middle of north dakota.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I thought it was pretty clear that Logan was more of a standalone. When you have like 9 movies with these characters I'd rather prefer a movie tell its own story rather than trying to make sure every little detail matches up with the previous films - which is partially why I dislike Marvel movies. I should not be required to watch an additional [number] to make sense of the story.

Bust Rodd posted:

X-Posting from the GBS thread, I just skimmed the thread and I am kinda surprised at the lack of general criticism in this thread.

Disclaimer: I liked this film a lot, I'd give a SOLID 7/10 and would recommend it to fans of any other Marvel films

~A loving treestump is what takes out Wolverine? How does this even go through his Adamantium ribcage? What the fuckin' gently caress

They set that up like 5 minutes before - any more injuries and he would die because of the vial he took. Then X-24 slammed him onto the tree stump, presumably between his ribs. Maybe it splintered through too. How is that inconsistent?

Skizzzer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 7, 2017

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
my bad

btw that was awesome. I loved the brutality in the movie. The part where X-24 shoved his claws through Logan's armpit was badass too.

Skizzzer fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 7, 2017

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As someone pointed out earlier, the reason Xavier is in a water tower in the middle of nowhere is not to block his mind powers, it's to isolate him and minimize the damage in case he has another episode.

it's a prison. that's all it really was. that must be what elderly homes feel like :(

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Jedit said the whole point of the movie is that Logan can't stop being his old self, and you said 'yeah, but he never actually stopped being his old self'?

quote:

Listen, you don't have to fight anymore.

Don't be what they made you.

Laura...

quote:

A man has to be what he is, Joey.
Can't break the moulds.
There is no living with a killing...
There is no going back.
Right or Wrong,
it is a brand.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Poor phrasing on my part, Logan doesn't try to avoid any killing, he just hurts like hell when doing. That's less about trying to change himself and not being able to, than just not being able to do as well as before. His inner conflict seems to be more about age performance than identity, even with the movie trying to make it about the latter.

I didn't quite view the movie pushing that point of view, rather, Logan's struggle was more about reconciling what he feels is a life wasted. Logan is obviously contemplating suicide. I feel like there's an obvious juxtaposition between the X-men previous and what they are now, which is dead, forgotten, and not even mentioned by name. It's not even a life wasted - Logan feels like his life is poo poo and that he's probably caused more harm than good. He's better off dead than alive, and it's only the professor who is keeping Logan alive when we are first introduced to Logan. After the prof dies, it's Laura who keeps Logan alive, and Laura the reason Logan keeps fighting. We know Logan's identity; he knows it; and the Reavers know it too. He's a killer, and that doesn't change.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

I can see that, but then you have everyone harkening back to who he was as an X-man and X-24.

I don't know what you mean.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

The comic books, people recognizing him as Wolverine, the hair trimming, just seems to be pushing him toward realizing he can't not be Wolverine.

Isn't that just ancillary to my point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Well, could be, but I see it as pushing the other point of view more /shrug

To be honest I don't think you know what you're saying.

• Locked thread