Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress this was good. It's almost a shame it's attached to such a shite franchise/genre.

If the other quadrillion Xmen films didn't exist this could have been made and been great as a standalone story with only a couple of minor references removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NowonSA posted:

I would have liked to see Laura get hurt more often. Granted violence against children is always problematic, even in works of fiction, but with her power being healing based I felt like we should have seen it happen a bit more, and not just bloodstains after the fact. I do give them credit for not completely avoiding this though, there's certainly one huge wounding pretty much right off the bat.

Honestly I'm amazed they got away with as much as they did. I kept wondering how they avoided an 18 rating in the UK. That one incident of Laura being hurt is about as brutal as child-based violence gets in mainstream cinema. And there are plenty of other on and off screen straight up child killings in there too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmyleg posted:

Also, if Mangold's reason for not putting Logan in the comic book outfit is that he can't see Logan's personality wanting to wear that outfit as he stated recently, then X24 would have been a great opportunity to do so. Not just for the fans, but for the film.

Would have been the perfect chance, as it would be an effective propaganda tool for the government to have a version of Logan that embodies the public's distorted vision of history so they can be seen as the "good guys". Also would have been an amazing sendoff of the character to see the costume on screen for fans. And if the filmmakers hate the costume they even could have made a bad joke about it and have Logan roll his eyes at it. Hell, the kid holding the Wolvie action figure at the funeral just shows that it would have been a great moment, having these children come to terms with the fact that their hero is much more human than the myth

Oh well, my one gripe.

Counterpoint: That would've been loving stupid, and looked loving stupid. This is a film that for the first time in the franchise rose above disgusting ideas like fanservice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

well why not posted:

It's got more in common with something like Unbreakable than most of the other X-Men films.

It reminded me of Drive an awful lot. Elements of Fury Road in there too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Criminal Minded posted:

One big difference is that, unlike the other two films, Logan ends with the hero dying in an act of self-sacrifice, rather than riding off into the sunset and leaving them behind to continue his life elsewhere...which is, of course, what Logan wants to do.

This just threw Children of Men at me too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That list of "problems" is exactly why superhero movies and their fans are awful.

Talk about missing the point of every second of a film.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bust Rodd posted:

The questions i'm raising, like it or not, are the kinds of nitpicky things that get brought up when you discuss marvel/dc comics, because its entirely within the realm of plausibility that a minor detail like what the water tower is made of or where all Xavier's money went is going to be an important plot point later on down the line.

Steve2911 posted:

That list of "problems" is exactly why superhero movies and their fans are awful

Bust Rodd posted:

All i'm saying is this movie could have swapped out the 30 minutes Logan and Xavier spent ruining some country families entire life for maybe a single flashback of Charles's first psychic break and their subsequent flight south of the border and many of my gripes would probably get washed away there.
Well done you just ruined the film.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If DC takes anything from this it'll be 'we are justified in having Batman kill whoever he wants, and we should make it bloodier'.

That's it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You're 100% right, except they already made that movie and Batman realizes he was wrong at the end of it.

He definitely does not.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I assumed he looked that way because of his aversion to the sun, and Xavier calling him albino was just a jerky comment.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It was out of character and felt phoned in when my granddad started dropping F-bombs and being nasty to people too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's really, really hard to want to ever see another X-Men movie after that ending.

Just don't see any more. They haven't been good literally ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Personally I think "his skeleton has been full of metal for decades" is a pretty legit explanation on its own.

• Locked thread