Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Buncha weird objections there.

quote:

~Given that the movie establishes Logan has no beef carving up dudes who gently caress with him, there has to be a better way to make money for him than being a loving limo driver

~We are given a threadbare non-explanation for Wolverine's healing factor being all hosed up and it functions exactly as well as the plot needs it to right up until they give him a LITERAL MAGIC POTION that reverts him from Diet Wolverine to Classic Wolverine (the sequence where he is chain-mauling dudes in the Yukon in a bloody tank top was worth the cost of the matinee ticket alone, however, so *shrug*)

~How does a nurse from Mexico get in touch with the Canadian border hopping mutant 'coyotes' who are supposedly sympathetic to the mutant cause despite them not having existed for like 20 years? These nameless, faceless macguffins hiding out in Canada don't make sense, but neither does having an outpost in the middle of Dakota based on GPS coordinates from a comic book...

~Kalaban going from punk bitch to suicide bomber was cool but like why not just force them to shoot you back in Mexico? What changes for him between Mexico and Oklahoma?

1- What ever gave you the impression he has no beef with it? Dude loving hates what he has to do and sure as gently caress doesn't like getting shot. Any job he gets that involves anything unusual would also draw a bunch of attention and he's supposed to be in hiding. He wants the most un-wolverine job he can get, and driving a limo at least gives him an excuse to go back and forth over the border.

2- Both the healing factor problem and the drug are explained and used consistently. His healing factor going to poo poo in particular is mentioned multiple times. He's sick and dying through the entire movie, and of course it works at the convenience of the plot but I'm not sure where it ever did anything it wasn't expected to. It's also a biological system and not a well engineered machine that has particular failure points so even if it was inconsistent it wouldn't be a flaw imo. Maybe it's harder to regenerate a liver than it is regular muscle tissue? Who knows, and it doesn't matter much.

3- I don't see how this matters at all or what about it doesn't make sense. People have phones and email and stuff.

4- He didn't have the opportunity before. And how would he force them to shoot him? If he resisted, they'd just have tortured him more because they need him. He goes out on his own terms and takes some of them with him because he saw a moment he could use and used it. Saying he should have done it earlier is nonsensical because the only thing that let him do it was everyone being distracted by the big fight.

Also it's spelled Caliban. From the Tempest.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Incidentally, I thought this movie was amazing except for the part where they had to evacuate my theater because a skinhead in the second row was standing up and occasionally screaming incoherent rage at the screen while fiddling with something in his pocket that one person said was a knife. This is not an experience I recommend, despite the free passes we got.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

All i'm saying is this movie could have swapped out the 30 minutes Logan and Xavier spent ruining some country families entire life

this is the part where Logan learns about family and love and is literally the emotional core of the movie. It is their one normal moment where they are all happy. And you think they should have dumped it for a flashback.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 7, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Though thinking on the family bit there is one thing that I realized on reflection -- At the very end, Logan says the ambiguous 'so this is what it's like...' line. When I first watched I assumed that it was referencing Xavier's 'this is what family is like' speech but it only just now occurred that real Logan never actually heard that speech. It works thematically, but he wasn't present to hear it so it's a little odd.

There's a minor nitpick, I guess.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He did hear it, actually. He hears it before he goes out to help the farmer.

Oh right, I'm an idiot. I thought Xavier said it when he woke up in the AM. Welp, nevermind then.

quote:

He's referring to dying either way. After dealing it out so long now he gets to experience it, finally.

That's the thing -- you can look at it either way. It's death or love. No way to know for sure.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

No subs means your confusion mirrors Logan's and your brain puts together 'oh she grew up in Mexico, of loving course' at the same time he does, which you can watch on his face. Subs would draw the eye down to the bottom of the screen so you miss his reaction and don't make the joke any better, IMO. Subs can be jarring if you don't expect them and the impact of that moment (even without knowing what she's saying) is probably the funniest part of the movie, so I wouldn't want to see the timing hosed because of a mental stutter when you switch to reading mode for a moment.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Personally I don't like Sabertooth being in this movie because it makes it a whole lot less self-contained. I'm of the mind that you could show this movie to someone who's never heard of the X-men and it'd still be emotionally effective. When you start putting in too many other characters with convoluted backstories you need to explain it overburdens the thing. Character bloat is one thing that makes movies 'comic book movies' in the denigrating sense, especially with the ensemble cast of most X-men films. Sabertooth's thematic parallels would only really make sense with knowledge of stuff outside of the movie, but a cloned blank slate rage-machine works perfectly in a vacuum.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

He's made of an unbreakable metal, he wasn't going to die from some baseball bats, he was pissed off by the beating and sliced them apart.

He's not defending himself. He's defending his limo, which is his livelihood. If they had just been beating him he might have taken it, but the car is critical. He does everything in his power to protect it, and even then violence is the last resort.

Killing Pierce would have been silly -- dude's an Important Person with a business card and all. He'd have been missed, and it may well have brought swifter retribution.

quote:

If that's him avoiding killing or picking up fights, he's doing a not very good job at it,

This is totally true, but saying he's not trying at all is missing some pretty important character stuff.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The X-Men films in general don't really care about continuity.

Let's talk about Nightcrawler's dad, the literal devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

'Killing the kids in the hospital' is different enough from 'killing the kids in a forest somewhere' that I didn't really see them trying to capture rather than shoot at the end to be a big discrepancy. I assume the company wanted to euthanize them in a lab setting so they can get a fresh autopsy or something. Destroying the company property in the field might mean a much lower return on investment. None of that's stated in the film but eh.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 14, 2017

• Locked thread