Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kin posted:

Which is why getting on a boat, sailing off into the sunset too injured to live would be a fairly unambiguous nod to the ending of another famous western.

They're in North Dakota and Wolverine blew all his boat money just to barely make it that far. In order for your boat ending to work, they then have to back track all the way to Mexico and then suddenly Shane their way into the sunset. There's a whole lot of reworking to get to the short retirement that Wolverine and Xavier explicitly give up for the sake of the kids. Also those kids would have to be some real assholes to let last legs Logan and Centenarian Xavier try and stumble their way back across the US instead of taking them to Eden.

Edit: Your ending also has them explicitly turn their backs on the world instead of rediscovering their Mettle and going down as X-Men.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

General Dog posted:

It's just such a breath of fresh air to have a superhero movie that does its own thing- isn't an origin story, doesn't have to lean on existing continuity or set things up for future installments. It serves no masters except telling a compelling story. If it does well, I hope that's the lesson studios take from it, not that the movies need to have more titties, and blood, and cusses. (Spoiler: they will take the wrong lessons)

Speaking of which, it was nice to see the return of the 80's pointless booby cameo. Ain't no action movie like an action movie shoehorning some titties in like they're contractually obligated and the writer forgot about it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

feedmyleg posted:

On the radio at Eden, the voice on the other side said that all of the kids had been granted "asylum" once they crossed the border. The fact that there's an environment where that is possible indicates that it is.

Given that the Canadian government is granting asylum and the Reavers are ordered that they must not let the kids reach the boarder, I'm assuming an Alpha Flight member is the one on the other end of the radio. Especially since that ties in directly with Wolverine.

Really, it seems like the Weapons Plus program got booted out of Canada and the government had a total change of heart like right after Wolverine became Weapon X. Logan seems to imply that they moved almost all of the Weapons Plus operations down to Mexico with full government backing in the future. Nice to see that the wall never gets built though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FilthyImp posted:

It probably has something to do with the Alkalai Lake disaster in X2, or the Berserker Rage escape in Apocalypse.

The wall does get built. It's a lovely fence with fortified guard stations. It's what the dipshit frat boys were chanting USA! uSA! At during the limo montage.

I thought they had Logan drive them past some protestors or demonstration.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Boosh! posted:

It has been a while since I've felt that adrenaline rush at the theaters. So good!

Only quibble was when they met up with the other kids. They sucked, esp the leader dweeb. Hated Donald dying to freaking grass choking him out. Should've just been Logan and Laura dominating.

He didn't die from grass choking him. He died from all the kids powers being used on him, grass just being amongst the most visually distinctive. He was also getting frozen, shocked, and force pushed. I don't remember the other kid's powers who were encircling him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
What I liked most about Logan's foray into doping is that it wore off like halfway to where he needed to get. The way they played it up, taking the full vial would kill him, so the expectation is that he berserker rages his way through the bad guys and then Shane's his way off screen for the kids.

Instead the whole vial is just enough to catch up and deal with a handful of the henchmen, and now he's wiped out and still has to fight all the bosses and most of the henchmen while in even worse shape than when the kids found him.

The old man rage yells in the woods were fantastic.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can we cut out the spoilers now that we're 9 pages into the thread for talking about the movie that came out last week?

Bust Rodd posted:

Look I just don't think it's fair to dismiss any and all questions I have about the movie because "It's a movie and it's just trying to tell the story and doesn't have to spoon feed you all the answers" like duh, I know that, but it doesn't stop the questions from coming and some of them are sloppy writing concerns. Like in the first scene Logan just grunts and buckshot pushes itself out of his chest and arms, but then like 30 minutes later he cuts his hand open on his own claws and needs a bandage.

At the beginning of the movie Logan has been living a fairly peaceful life for year or so. All his healing factor has had to do is fight back the ravages of adamantium poisoning and deal with some cheap liquor. He barely even smokes anymore, the only time we see it is when he snags a couple cigars on the way out of the gas station. He's a broken man, but he's at the peak of his physical condition for the duration of the movie.

Then he gets shot a couple times, and only after the fight is over and he makes it to a public bathroom somewhere does his healing factor finally manage to push out the bullets. It's very painful and the wounds don't even heal all the way up after the bullets are out. At this point we notice that Logan is covered in scars, and we find that as the movie progresses his healing factor is working less and less effectively.

Xavier and Logan are both old men losing their powers. Charles is a man who spent his whole life championing the rights of mutants as natural beings, and now he's being robbed of his mutant powers by the natural progression of age. Still, despite his handicaps he struggles to remain Xavier, reaching out to Laura and other mutants and finding brief moments where he is once again Professor Xavier. We begin the movie with him a raving mad man, and end with a night where he is fully Professor Xavier, calming horses, conversing over dinner, and finding peace with his friend Logan.

Logan starts the movie as James Howlett, a broken down man with one foot in the grave. Throughout the movie people keep calling for Wolverine, the rage filled aspect of his personality that he has come to hate. The fighting, the adamantium, and the healing that allow both are The Wolverine that he has tried to bury. Laura's introduction is when he begins to finally move towards being Logan. His dwindling healing factor and physicality throughout the movie are him purging The Wolverine from his system, becoming more and more Logan. Then, at the end when he's helped the kids and sends his daughter off, in his mind to save her from the fate of everyone else he's ever cared about, he once again calls upon The Wolverine to save her. Then he has to fight a physical version of The Wolverine, which succeeds in doing what the innate Wolverine has been taking decades to do, and kills him. However at the last his daughter kills Wolverine, saving Logan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
  • 1)This is silly nit picking
  • 2)They are very clear that all the previous movies are to be taken at one quarter value and with a grain of salt
  • 3)Since Xavier is picking up Taco Bell commercials at the beginning of the movie, the inference is that Logan chose the giant tank in the middle of nowhere to act like a janky Faraday Cage

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As someone pointed out earlier, the reason Xavier is in a water tower in the middle of nowhere is not to block his mind powers, it's to isolate him and minimize the damage in case he has another episode.

That is the main reason, but Caliban and Logan also have a conversation about how the tank isn't as effective as they thought it would be at blocking Xavier. Because of all the holes.

Remember that Logan knows gently caress all about any of this medical or care-taking poo poo. He's just trying to wing it like a champ while he scrounges up enough money to buy a boat and leave everyone else behind.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope they just keep X-23 around. Young Wolverine learning to be a proper X-Man is more interesting, in concept, than gruff and jaded Wolverine being snarky to Cyclops and semi-mentoring yet another teen girl.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowman_McK posted:

You're almost definitely old enough to remember how the Matrix blew people's minds with a combination of visuals, story telling, stylistic influences, thematic weight and people paid attention and assumed that 'bullet time' was the one thing they should take away.

On the other hand, Logan is the way it is because Deadpool was a successful R rated movie. Which is at the very least a minor miracle that at least one entire project in Hollywood seems to have learned a proper lesson from the success of another movie and refrained from simply parroting elements of the previous success.

I'm not looking forward to SHAZAM, now with 100% more Miracle Man!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowman_McK posted:

Deadpool was successful because underneath all the flippant violence and humour, there's a completely sincere love story. It's also really well structured.

So, I don't know, do you think Logan's takeaway was 'let's make this movie good' or something? Because that's why Deadpool succeeded.

There's a whole variety of things you can take away from Deadpool's success. It's a hard R movie that made money, it's irreverent, it's self contained, it has modest stakes, it has nods towards other movies in a franchise, the focus is on a small cast, it's cheap, the filmmakers were largely allowed free will, it eshews conventional structure, it's both a close adaptation while also being a loose adaptation, and so many more.

The Logan production went with an interpretation that there was an audience for a violent, smaller scale, comic book movie that didn't focus on being part of a Cinematic Universe but instead focused on the main character while also making tongue in cheek references to the merchandising of the franchise. Also that set pieces were secondary to character, which is a lot easier of a conclusion to make when you've got Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman headlining.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MisterBibs posted:

There's this thing movies do when someone is speaking a language that the bulk of the audience doesn't understand, where they put text at the bottom in the language the audience does understand. Keep Logan in the dark, but we'd know, and that would've been funny.

You got the gist of what she was yelling, so no subtitles was perfectly fine.

The only time not having subtitles is 100% unforgivable is when actual foreign text is being shown. Assuming we aren't looking at a purely gibberish, made up thing that just looks like text.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MisterBibs posted:

Because it'd be funnier to know what she's saying. Bonus amusement for her angrily pouring her heart out, and because Logan doesn't know the language, his only response is anger that she only just now decided to talk, and nothing about the legitimate grievance she has.

The language barrier, I feel, is better if it isn't translated. If you don't speak Spanish/Esperanto you are inherently approaching the scene from Logan's point of view. However if you do, you are almost by default switched over to Laura's point of view. Since this is Logan's movie, and I'm a dumbfuck monolinguist, it seems appropriate that as an audience member I'm as surprised and confused as Logan is in the scene.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MisterBibs posted:

Infer, inschmer. The scene is more enjoyable/funnier/better when the audience is aware of both sides of the scene. Why rely on inference when the scene is richer for direct edification?

She's not giving important information that changes things, which leaves us not fluent in the Espanol behind the curve. It's a slight boost in information that most people get the gist of from Laura's tone, volume, and actions. It's like a half step removed from an Easter Egg at best. Plus including it changes the non-Spanish audience's focus in the scene from being in Wolverine's position to being in Laura's, which is probably the primary reason the filmmakers didn't do subtitles.

In your opinion you were robbed of a level of enyoyability/funniness/betterness by being left out of the loop, and that sucks. But you're arguing as if it's an objective instead of a subjective truth. Most people who don't speak Spanish seem to be totally fine with the scene as is.

Maybe instead of the obligatory next movie stinger Comic Book movies have been using, all movies could have linguistic catch up scenes at the end of movies. And scenes were foreign language dialog was used without subtitles will be replayed with subtitles.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Steve Yun posted:

Is that a thing in the comics as well? That adamantium is poison and that the only thing keeping him alive is his healing?

It may surprise you to know that the comics are inconsistent on the issue. A few stories have it as toxic and killing him, some stories have it as deadly as having surgical screws in your bones, and when his adamantium has been removed it's treated as mildly toxic that his healing factor has in check but is slowing down his healing factor.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

One thing I didn't get is the insinuation that Logan can't read? I guess the movie version was never portrayed as a guy with a good amount of common sense intellect or a world-trotting polyglot, but it was still a little weird.

He can read, the issue is that he's having vision problems. He's getting old/the poisoning is affecting his eyesight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not to apply real-world logic, but completely sealing your bones in would kill anyone, even assuming you survived the procedure, whether or not the substance was toxic.

They did think of that, and supposedly his skeleton is just "laced' with adamantium and not coated. Of course that means very different things to different writers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Steve2911 posted:

It was out of character and felt phoned in when my granddad started dropping F-bombs and being nasty to people too.

I'm sure that's why so many people are nasty and use foul language from the get go. Real sticklers for continuity.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't know why some people think that the mutant prophylactic in the corn syrup is affecting Logan and Charles. We know it doesn't do anything to existing mutants because Caliban is unaffected by it. Charles has literal brain problems, which effects his brain powers. Logan is near 200 years old and has all his bones laced with what is/has become a toxic metal, which is why his healing factor is compromised. Further we don't even know how ultra powerful either were before, because we know that all the X- Men films prior are to be treated as unreliably narrated.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The X-men movies are a god drat mess when it comes to continuity and canon.

Someone help me, but I THINK it goes Like this:

Original Trilogy:
Xmen 1-3 with Origins: Wolverine as a prequel

The Wolverine serves as a sequel to 3

Prequel Trilogy:

First Class, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse (note DOFP resets the time line so that Xmen 1-2 of the original timeline occur, but not X3-The Wolverine. This is good, because gently caress X3 and Origins. However I have a huge soft spot for "The Wolverine" so a bit sad that storyline is essentially debunk, cannon-wise)

I am not sure if LOGAN is in this timeline. The first Xmen movie from 2000 is referenced so I want to say yes.

DEADPOOL:
I honestly think this franchise will give no fucks and will exist in whatever timeline it wants to.

Feel free to correct me i'm basing all this on me having watch the movies and nothing else.

It's best if you approach every X media entry as it's own thing with loose continuity with other X media. Logan more or less lets you pick and choose what you want to be cannon, it's not really important. Honestly more attempts at cinematic universes should do the same: Loose continuity where the needs of the current film are more important than making sure everything fits together like a giant puzzle.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Marvel is already doing this. "The Redemption of Tony Stark" and then by the next film he's a prick again.

That's just recycling the story that prints money, they're still insistent that Tony totally changed last time, but now he needs one more encounter with the blinding light so one more set of scales will fall away.

X-Men on the other hand is quite open with casting the 3rd Jean Grey and not caring about how old anyone actually is, because gently caress, man, eye lasers and snikts, dude! We dealt with the Sentinels a couple movies ago and we'll deal with them in a movie or two without any indication that we ever even mentioned them before. Look, Colossus! Now it's the '80's! Crazy, huh?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

coyo7e posted:

I am confused about Iron Man - is there going to be a sequel to the Civil War movie, or is it going to be a Trilogy or something? Because gently caress-all happened in that movie compared to the civil war story arc, and I really want to see the cyber-spidey suit, Peter Parker's monologue from the POTUS podium, etc.

Also, Tony Stark wasn't anywhere near hatable enough in the civil war movie, he really needed to be way more big brother+steve jobs+erik prince.

I'd be surprised if we get another Iron Man movie. They look to be moving RDJ into the Sam Jackson, hey here's a cameo, role.

Civil War isn't getting a direct sequel or anything either. The next few movies will be set in a universe where Cap and Iron Man are divorced, then Infinity War will drop and likely they'll get married again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

coyo7e posted:

Goddamnit noooo, Peter Parker's monologue was AWESOME! :(

Guess you forgot that never happened thanks to a fantastic and well thought out deal with the literal devil.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

UmOk posted:

Guess you forgot the nothing in Spider-Man comic books ever happened.

Goddamn it, people really need to stop making deals with the devil. I had a sweet robot arm and knew magic kung fu until which ever one of you fucks went and made a deal to make Spider-Man never happen.

I hope you choke on your whatever half-assed monkey paw consequences you got. My wife was a Super Model with 3 PhDs, rear end in a top hat.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, it seemed like neither of them had the trademark hair. X-24 had a buzz and Logan had just regular guy hair. https://www.quirkybyte.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/x24-logan.jpg

The chops are the signifier of The Wolverine. The pointy side hair is the signifier of James Howlett. Logan is the realization that he is in control of his own styling choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MrJacobs posted:

permanent weekend bender is a hairstyle choice?

Nobody ever claimed he makes the best choices.

• Locked thread