Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think what was so, so, so refreshing with this film is that it's story was so simple and straightforward. Even the better comic book movies tend yo be waaaay overstuffed with sideplots and multiple villains and setting up future films and constantly referencing older ones and having to give 10 characters their own separate arcs and having big, loud, boring set pieces. This movie was just allowed to tell a story, and told it very well. This is EASILY the best X movie and in the running for best superhero movie.

How worth watching is The Wolverine? I've heard the 3rd act has a lot of issues, but is the rest on the same level quality-wise as this or about as good as your average X movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, if Mangold's reason for not putting Logan in the comic book outfit is that he can't see Logan's personality wanting to wear that outfit as he stated recently, then X24 would have been a great opportunity to do so. Not just for the fans, but for the film.

Would have been the perfect chance, as it would be an effective propaganda tool for the government to have a version of Logan that embodies the public's distorted vision of history so they can be seen as the "good guys". Also would have been an amazing sendoff of the character to see the costume on screen for fans. And if the filmmakers hate the costume they even could have made a bad joke about it and have Logan roll his eyes at it. Hell, the kid holding the Wolvie action figure at the funeral just shows that it would have been a great moment, having these children come to terms with the fact that their hero is much more human than the myth

Oh well, my one gripe.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 5, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Did they ever indicate that Canada was a better place for mutants anywhere else?

On the radio at Eden, the voice on the other side said that all of the kids had been granted "asylum" once they crossed the border. The fact that there's an environment where that is possible indicates that it is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Stan Lee cameos are the worst. They should be DVD extras, not in the actual movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

I don't think they did and we aren't even sure if the voice on the radio was legit and not just more trouble.

From the last scene, it basically looked like the kids were never really going to escape being hunted and that Laura was destined to walk the same life Wolverine did.

I think this is a pretty drat cynical reading. The end of the film had a lot of hope, and all signs pointed to the opposite of your reading. We were given no reason to doubt the radio or Canadian sanctuary. Laura seemed to be set up to be a very different person with a very different future than Logan. While Logan was always running away from everything, Laura runs toward things and takes an active part in her own destiny, rather than Logan's passive reluctant heroism. She WANTS to be a part of her mutant family, opposed to Logan's obligation to Charles.

Rabid Snake posted:

The black chubby kid running in the forest made me laugh so hard.

He's supposed to be a mutant?

What is this?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SimonCat posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

According to a recent interview with Mangold, Sabertooth was considered for the film, but not in X24's capacity. Rather, Logan was going to recruit him at some point to help, but the concept never made it into a script draft.

But I definitely thought that at first too. It's remarkable how similar they looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

There's literally a mutant who has the power of being extremely fat, and they also literally call him the Blob

So the requirements for being a mutant aren't really that high

I've always wanted a comic where it's all about the reject mutants having to save the day. Your mutation is having wheels instead of feet and three spines? Welp, good luck, it's up to you to defeat this world-ending threat!

• Locked thread