Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the champ come Sunday morning?
This poll is closed.
Woodley will retain with a victory 14 36.84%
Thompson will win 15 39.47%
Woodley will retain with yet another draw 9 23.68%
Total: 38 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
Overeem shoulda got PotN for his pantastic body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

I think that one had more to do with USADA

that fight was way, way before usada surely

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Down Right Fierce posted:

Overeem shoulda got PotN for his pantastic body.

The time honoured tradition of cutting weight by making GBS threads your intestines out.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Marching Powder posted:

that fight was way, way before usada surely

oh yeah, I thought you guys were talking about prospects getting destroyed, which USADA did a worse number on Silva than the Brown beating. I wasn't talking about the prospect/veteran angle.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

oh yeah, I thought you guys were talking about prospects getting destroyed, which USADA did a worse number on Silva than the Brown beating. I wasn't talking about the prospect/veteran angle.

oh sorry i missed that. and yes, absolutely.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Woodley won the first fight much more than he won the second fight and that's a loving fact.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Marching Powder posted:

i think maia could be kryptonite for woodley. if woodley backs into the fence i could see maia just single legging him to the ground like he's so loving good at doing. and woodley's one weird trick won't faze maia because he'll always be able to expect the right hand because being put on his back won't worry him. can't wait to see what events transpire so he gets hosed out of a shot. losing to masvidal maybe? or conor coming to 170? gsp? exciting stuff.

This is probably my bitter, shriveled, little black heart talking, but I fear Maia/Woodley being Maia/Marquardt redux. Obviously Maia won't have a reason to go airborne, face-first vs. Woodley, but he didn't really have a reason for it vs. Marquardt either. And obviously, Woodley is a significantly different fighter. But I just have visions of Maia staring at what he thinks is a level-change into a shot, and instead getting hammered in the face.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Wise Learned Man posted:

This is probably my bitter, shriveled, little black heart talking, but I fear Maia/Woodley being Maia/Marquardt redux. Obviously Maia won't have a reason to go airborne, face-first vs. Woodley, but he didn't really have a reason for it vs. Marquardt either. And obviously, Woodley is a significantly different fighter. But I just have visions of Maia staring at what he thinks is a level-change into a shot, and instead getting hammered in the face.

i'm not going to say you're wrong because tyron woodley destroys everything that's good but dude, that was nearly a decade ago.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Imagine how things might've gone had Rory beat Wonderboy way back when. Who knows, but one can dream...

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Even in the most one-eyed possible judging like you're Tyrone's mum or something you'd go

R1 - Thompson
R2- Thompson
R3 -Woodley
R4- Thompson
R5 - Woodley (10-8)

and you get a draw.

In no way could you possibly score rounds 1, 2 or 4 for Woodley and have it make any goddamn sense.

This was my exact take on it and then I got shushed in the BWW's parking lot for yelling gently caress Tyron Woodley a bunch.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
who is this old man?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
why are they interviewing Bob Bennett at the post-fight presser? Was he on the undercard and I didn't notice?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ariel: why are you even up here?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
is htis guy keith kizer's replacement, seems infinitely better than Kizer if so

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Sherdog are retarded Judging criteria aren't that hard.

1,2 and 4 neither guy clearly won the grappling or striking, Wonderboy controlled and was more aggressive (and was the more active striker - landing more and throwing more).

In no way could you possibly score rounds 1, 2 or 4 for Woodley and have it make any goddamn sense.

Fight Metric had Round 2 even in terms of significant strikes (8-8) with Tyron being more accurate.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
he said that 10-8 was unacceptable, because it swung from a 10-9 the other way

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
It would seriously be better for everyone if Tyron woodley found another career, he is a gifted fighter but he hates fighting, everyone can tell and its so loving uncomfortable to watch, even his opponents can tell from the stupid look in his eyes that he wants to be anywhere but there and they feel bad for him and let their guard down for a split second and he knocks them out with an overhand right. It didnt work on Rory macdonald because hes autistic

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

manyak posted:

It would seriously be better for everyone if Tyron woodley found another career, he is a gifted fighter but he hates fighting, everyone can tell and its so loving uncomfortable to watch, even his opponents can tell from the stupid look in his eyes that he wants to be anywhere but there and they feel bad for him and let their guard down for a split second and he knocks them out with an overhand right. It didnt work on Rory macdonald because hes autistic

lol

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
The decision was borderline bad from a 10 point must point of view, justified in terms of who actually did more, hard to get mad except that it would have been better if it was a draw and these 2 had to keep fighting each other over and over, throwing fewer strikes every time.... (in Bellator where i dont have to see it)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/838256885203529728

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

now everyone just wishes they could forget

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Skip My Posts posted:

now everyone just wishes they could forget

lol

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

worst fight iv ever seen

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If Woodley had lost the first fight people would have remembered him better than where he's at currently.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
woodley couldnt wait too long to start bitching and whining

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Tyron Woodley is challenging fans to come fight him to make things more exciting. BUt he wonders why he's the most disrespected guy

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

that is loving stupid.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Skip My Posts posted:

I'm pretty sure thats not how it works

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

that is loving stupid.

yeah its bullshit

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Work Friend Keven posted:

I'm pretty sure thats not how it works

thats what the geriatric nsac dude said

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

I had never heard that explanation before the old man said it, seems pretty stupid if you think about it more than a second

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

This was the first PPV I ever ordered! Impressions below:

Hunt/Reem: :( I think I had it 1-1 going into the third. Hunt was gassed from all of the body kicks he took. He was still having some success dirty boxing from the clinch, but Optimus Reem was putting in some knees. The ending combo was super slick. I really wanted Hunt to win, but I'm cool with Reem having a resurgence.

Strawweight: Calvillo has some really slick grappling, to be expected from TAM. She kept feinting her head to her left. I was hoping that someone who supposedly had ben boxing for 14 years would have picked up on that and punished it, but such is life. I think Calvillo will quickly turn into a top 4 Strawweight.

Kelly/Evans: JUDO DAD. It was amazing how effective Dan's leaping jab was. I agree with my friend here; Evans should have shot more as wrestling is his advantage even against an experienced judoka, 185 is probably too steep a cut for him, and if a 20 fight veteran doesn't know how to fight against a southpaw then there are some serious issues. It was cool to see some tricky Judo stuff to reset the fight. I don't know how Judo Dad keeps winning fights or his ceiling, but I will continue to root for him.

Lando/Borat: This wasn't the most technical fight, but man was it a fun fight. Teymer has a hell of a chin. Not much to say other than it was flashy and it owned.

Thompson/Woodley: I hated the first fight. I didn't think that it was a draw, I didn't think that it was an 'instant classic,' nor did I want to see it happen again. This fight was somehow worse than that fight. Such a terrible way to waste the good will built by the last four fights. For the record, I had it 3-2 Woodley. Thompson won 1 and 4, Woodley won 2, 3, and 5. Thompson threw like 3 punches in the first to win it, and Woodley threw like 5 in the second to win it. I use the term win loosely there, as I think someone has to win them. The only good thing I can take away from Woodley winning is that I will never watch these two fight again. I hate Woodley more than any other fighter because he is built like a Grecian deity, has incredible explosion and power, and chooses to walk backwards and do nothing the entire fight. He has enough power that he can pull this ish off. He'll ice Maia as Maia tries to close in, Condit will retire before fighting him, and he can probably ice Robbie again. Who is there? Just disgusting.

OVerall cool time, just wish the main and billed co main happened.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

Wait what

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

he said something like that 10-8 in the 5th was unacceptable because prior to Woodley blasting him wonderboy was winning the round 10-9. so there wasnt enough time to swing it back to 10-8 woodley, or something. it was retarded

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

manyak posted:

he can go meet khabib on some remote tropical coast and they can sand a boat hull together

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Also just because i have seen some people post the 'significant strikes' stats they basically mean nothing because 90% of what Woodley threw were chest punches that did nothing and 95% of what Wonderboy threw were either kicks that got blocked or glancing straights mostly to the body that did nothing. There were like 5 actual strikes the whole fight

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Rounds are scored by the round meter and you mash X to get the meter to your side and if your opponent mashes X harder it will shift back to their side but they have to hit x twice as much since it's already on your side. Also this is dynamic so if there's like a plane crash mid round you can still score it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

and the rules for scoring have now changed to *distortion of reality occurs and max headroom appears and speaks directly to everyone in the world, individually* whatever stupid poo poo you thought won people fights is now true and correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

manyak posted:

There were like 5 actual strikes the whole fight

$12.95 per strike, only on pay-per-view

• Locked thread