Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you live in your parents' basement ever?
Yes
No
OP, I don't think I've ever truly lived :(
View Results

• Locked thread
N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Did you actually live in your parents' basement? By choice or not? Did you like it down there? How long were you down there? The stereotype of the goon in the basement seems so silly to me until I remembered that was literally me. I'm interested in hearing how other people found themselves in residential caves and what it was like. I'm tossing my story out.

I grew up in a pretty small house, but everybody had their own bedroom at least. We had a living room that became my parent's bedroom so my sisters could each have their own bedroom. As my sisters married and moved out, the rooms reverted to other things. Mine was the only constant from when I was a kid to about 20. Parent's bedroom became a living room again. Sister's room became an office then a kid's play space. And my other sister's room became my parent's bedroom.

I don't remember the particulars anymore, but I remember my parents asked me if I would be willing to move to the basement. I think they wanted to make it into a guest bedroom for my sisters when they visited. The room now has all my mom's sewing stuff in it.

I said ok to their request and I moved all of my stuff down from my one-window carpeted bedroom to an unfinished basement with concrete floors that had no natural lighting. My dad and I put down some carpeting and some baseboard heaters to make it more tolerable. Despite it being a bigger space, it felt more cramped. I don't think I'll ever seek out a living space like that again if I can help it.

I went from being in my room almost all of the time when at home to only going in there when I wanted to play a videogame or sleep. I hosted movie nights for friends - that was pretty cool to do in my windowless abode. It was also way easier to do sexy-time stuff like masturbate or make-out because you could very clearly hear when someone opened the door to the basement.

I moved out of my parent's house a couple years later when I graduated college and the basement stayed a bedroom to host my sisters when they visited. It's also got a bunch of toys down there for the grandbabies.

My favorite memory of the basement was when I drank alcohol for the first time. I never drank before 21 and so I made my first liquor purchase the wine that Les Claypool from Primus makes. I drank half the bottle while eating a small bag of oyster crackers alone in my room while watching a movie.

Another fun booze time basement moment was the night before I took GRE, I was a little nervous. I opened up what was supposed to be my "I took the GRE, good for me!" celebration bottle of champagne and wound up drinking the whole thing.

Tell me about your basement bedrooms, Goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
There are no basements in Texas so no one from at least Texas.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

There's my parents, my sister, me, and my girlfriend living in my parents' house. Multigenerational living has always been big on both sides of my family. We would have cousins living with us here and there for a bit, so I moved out of my room and gave it up to a cousin, and I lived in the basement for a bit because at the time I was working nights and wanted lightless, cool sleep in the summer.

I'm back in my childhood room now, but the basement owned. I'd like to move back down there, but if I did, I'd do a massive tear down and clean up to better moistureproof and get rid of the wood panel walls.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What is the Texas equivalent of a basement? Do you guys have cellars?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

N. Senada posted:

What is the Texas equivalent of a basement? Do you guys have cellars?

No, if you mean like a place to store stuff it's usually the attic or sometimes a shed in the back yard.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
My family had a basement AND a shed :smug:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It might seem weird not to have basements here but you have to consider no basement ghosts.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the soil here is ill suited for basementing.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This is true and always made me sad.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I thought Texas still got tornadoes, does Texas just take a "let God sort them out" approach to emergency shelter?

Technically I did live in my parents' basement in high school/college, but it was finished and up to code as a bedroom. It was my brother's room up until he moved out.

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012
I did live in my mom's basement briefly in a house she was renting. However, my bed was in a secret room behind a sliding bookshelf, so it kind of evened out in my mind. Like, basement dwelling is lame as hell, but a secret room behind a sliding bookshelf is pretty tight

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Same deal with Australia.

We do have quite a lot of 20-somethings living in their childhood bedrooms, due to massive property speculation driving up house and rental prices.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Same deal with Australia.

We do have quite a lot of 20-somethings living in their childhood bedrooms, due to massive property speculation driving up house and rental prices.

I don't think that's unique to your country right now.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

No, if you mean like a place to store stuff it's usually the attic or sometimes a shed in the back yard.
I live in California, so, no basements, and no yards. We just have less stuff.

I grew up in Illinois and everybody had a basement. If you were a kid, you either lived down there, or that was the playroom. We had the playroom down there. I have fond memories both of my play space, and friends who lived in their basements. You can create ruckus down there. No drywall to make holes in, no carpet to stain, parents can't hear you. Plus, it's kinda spooky and there are lots of nooks and crannies. Sometimes they had their own bathroom down there or a separate entrance. Like having a studio apartment at 9. I don't remember it being unusual at all to live or spend time down there.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Yup! I sure did. It sucked but saved money as I was going through college.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I also grew up in basement-less California, we had an attic instead but you couldnt hang out there, there were crazy sharp nails coming out of the ceiling everywhere and my dad claimed that black widow spiders lived in there (I never saw them myself). also it was directly above the garage so if you spent any long amount of time in there youd be breathing all kinds of fumes

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 12, 2017

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

The basement bedroom was a good place for a teenager to live. The main features were an abundance of privacy, and a window that wasn't quite big enough to meet the egress code requirements. I moved out after finishing high school though, and haven't lived in a basement since.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
I did. It was a finished basement though, so I had my own bathroom and mini living room. It was awesome except for that time it flooded.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i like basements, because it reminds me of living in a toilet, like the house is the butt and then the basement is the toilet it sits on

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
After age 18 I lived independent of my parents. I briefly moved back into my mom's house in my mid 20's for like ~3 months because it was inbetween my old lease ending and moving far away for graduate school.

Living with my mom was dope her house is nice she cooks and she has dogs. I forgot how cool it was to have a nice clean house and privacy after having lived with housemates for so long. Also holy poo poo saving so much more money. I didn't live in a basement though, nice top story small bedroom.

One of my grad school friends sucked it up and lived with his parents for 1.5 years after graduating and just saved all the rent money to pay off student loans. Kind of wish I did that.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Rotten Cookies posted:

There's my parents, my sister, me, and my girlfriend living in my parents' house. Multigenerational living has always been big on both sides of my family.

Multigenerational living is actually a really good idea with lots of benefits.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I lived in a basement apartment in NYC when I was 21-22. It was finished, had a bathroom, kitchen, etc. but it was still a lovely moldy basement in NY with no windows for like $2000 a month. It also flooded quite easily because the drains were too small and got clogged with leaves. Usually had to wait a couple hours after a storm so water wouldn't just pour in.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
I lived in my mother-in-law's basement apartment for a few years while my spouse and I were in college. It was originally designed as a place for her mom, prior to grandma getting to the point where a care facility was needed.

It was furnished and we had a full bathroom and a kitchen, and a separate entryway so that we didn't have to go through the house. So it wasn't bad. But it was very small - one room, with the bathroom down the hall from the stairs - which is doable when you're in your late teens and early twenties, but not something I'd want to do today if possible. It was also incredibly dimly lit all the time, we had a tiny patio table to eat off of in the kitchen (because anything properly sized wouldn't have fit), and the entry from the stairs had a curtain.

It wasn’t bad, and I don’t regret it? But if I absolutely had to do it now, I'd probably need a sunlamp or something, and I'd have to be living alone; the space was way too small for two adults, and the lack of light wasn’t good for me.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

ifuckedjesus posted:

I did. It was a finished basement though, so I had my own bathroom and mini living room. It was awesome except for that time it flooded.

Same, during middle/high school. Also had my own entry to the house so I could come and go as I pleased. I thought I was being sneaky late at night but honestly my mom probably knew when I would leave.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My wife and I lived in her parents' basement for about 5 years, because we could not afford to pay rent. This was in my late 20's. When we had stable, well-paying employment, we moved out. I have lived in my mom's basement as well as her attic under similar circumstances. I thank the great recession for this.

My inlaws, for their part, finished their basement for us and basically it was like a small apartment.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
My parents moved from the house we had lived in for 17 years while I was away at college. When I got to see the new joint, I was ecstatic that my room was a 800 sq ft room in the basement. When I was home for summers, etc, I could sleep in a quiet, cool, dark peace as late as I wanted. poo poo, I bought a loving waterbed (yeah, 1980's) because it didn't matter how much floor loading there was down there.

I only moved out to move in with my girlfriend who has been my wife of 26 years. Goddam, that was a great space.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Sorry about your poor decision. You could've had another sweet 26 years in that awesome basement.

:sad:

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

A twist! My mom is currently living in my basement. Two months in, two more to go.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
What with our social netting being poo poo these days, and the framework of our democracy crumbling apart, I understand why more and more people are living back at their parents.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

N. Senada posted:

Sorry about your poor decision. You could've had another sweet 26 years in that awesome basement.

:sad:

Yeah, I hosed up.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Living underground is appealing really, cool in summer, warm in winter. I didn't live in a basement yet, but hope to do so if society collapses any time soon.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
Lived in my friends basement for 10 months. After I left he moved down there. Now he lives in my house and I want to move to the basement. Had to switch the sump though thing was super noisy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The house I grew up in was a split entry with all the bedrooms in a finished basement. I dunno, I liked it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I lived in my mom's basement but it was a finished apartment with a fireplace, a private bathroom and entrance.

I was also a teenager and it ruled.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Until I was 24.

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

Interesting topic. I'll chime in.

My parents had 2 boys and one girl, but divorced when we were all kids. I was the girl and the youngest and ended up living with Mom until about 24 or so, while my brothers lived with my Dad. All three of us ended up living in our Dad's basement until we were in our late 20s. My brothers were kinda goony, now I think about it. No girlfriends, video games. Well, at least one of them is a major gamer, the other one actually likes hunting and fishing more. They might have been kicked out, but as for me, I never got to live with my Dad since my parents divorced when I was 4 so he and my step-mom invited me to live in their finished basement while I went to school when I was in my middle 20s. At 27 I finally couldn't stand the idea of never experiencing living alone at least once, so I moved out into a super cheap studio I could barely afford (I had just met my now-fiancee and knew it would be my last chance) and lived with the crack whores and dudes wailing with withdrawals for 9 months before moving in with my boyfriend. Actually, it was great. Real close to bars downtown.

Living in a basement was ok. It was never too hot because the swamp cooler was down there and cranked up to try to cool upstairs. It got cold in the winter so I had a space heater on most of the time. Spiders, beetles and centipedes galore. I'm not a gamer but I definitely live on my computer and when I moved into that room, it was the first time I got to hook up my computer in my room instead of using my Mom's computer in her bedroom, or use mine out in the living room when I briefly lived with my best friend. Also, I actually got to throw my first party down there. My stepbro would throw them all the time when he lived down there in his teens/20s so there were left-over black lights and a half decent sound system on the computer. Plus a pool table and my own bathroom.
It was kinda nice living there, until my step-bro's toddler came over and stomped/ran across the house all day. I was working grave yard during the holiday season one year, too. :gonk:

The only reason I lived with my parents was because I couldn't afford to live on my own working for less than $11/hr and trying to get at least a C average in college. (paying it myself, save for the scholarship almost everyone got in my state). I tried living with my friend at 21, but couldn't afford it and had to move back in with my Mom. Yeah, my brothers were probably taking advantage, but I made an honest effort. All 3 of us are shy, responsibility phobics so moving up the ladder wasn't easy for us. Thankfully, our parents were great to live with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My parents had a very hands off approach to things and so I was allowed to move out of their house during my last year of high school. I moved in wirh my with my girlfriend who is a year older and lived in an incredibly bad basement. I mean it was dope as poo poo to be still going to high school and having your own place, but it was gross and moldy and pretty miserable to spend any actual time in.

Many years later I moved into an illegal basement apartment with this random guy I met on craigslist. Our electric stove wouldn't even get hot enough to fry as the outlet was wired to not kicking out enough juice. The bathroom sink and shower both drained, through a cleverly hidden series of pipes, into the alley behind the house. The ceilings were like 7 feet max, and there was no heat or air conditioning. Or even really any windows. I want to say I paid $500 a month for this palace.

After getting over being a teenager dipshit, my parents and I had a great relationship, but I would still rather be crammed into a four bedroom group house with eight other people than have ever lived with them again.

• Locked thread