Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

:911: The game :torgue:
This game is called Urban Chaos: Riot Response. You play as a top agent in a new proto-SWAT task force in not-New York/Chicago called T-ZERO (Zero Tolerance). You are Nick Mason, a legend, basically what you get when you mix Robocop with the Terminator and remove all aggression inhibitors. Nah in all seriousness he's ex-military and he's here to kick a lot of rear end. As a T-Zero officer, he is allowed to do whatever it takes to contain and end threats to the city and defeat the Burner Gang, a legion of crazy assholes who just want to kill everyone and burn poo poo down. Now, because we're on the right side of the law, that cannot be allowed. With an array of weaponry, even taking the gang's own primitive methods into account, there is no such thing as unauthorized force in this game. You have a gun, a shield, and a taser, and it's you against hundreds of Jason Voorhees impersonators. I'm playing the game and am of course joined by Coolguy & TheLastRoboKy.

The characters in this game don't really matter because they aren't Nick Mason, so let's just get to the gameplay. This game is Poe's Law in virtual format, glorifying American Law Enforcement to outrageously corny degrees.

:911: Rocksteady :torgue:
This was Rocksteady's first game before they went on to make the Batman: Arkham (noun) games! There is a very high level of polish & detail in this game. It plays solidly, there's a lot of cool poo poo to discover and figure out, and it makes for a fast paced and fun as hell FPS despite being obscenely short at only 17 levels. I figured I'd just play it because it contains a Taser, and I would never play any game solely for this fact unless it was an evil item of chaotic origins. This game is a bit frightening as it goes on because as discovered in the very first video Nick Mason does not actually exist in-game but that's just my opinion!

:911: The levels :torgue:
Every level demands a certain quota from you in the form of making a specific number of headshots, arrests, and finding mcguffin masks all over the place. You need to do this because it's how you unlock poo poo that actually helps you survive and have more fun with the game. On the flip side these challenges are poorly thought out in some of the later levels and are the crux of the three worst parts of the game, but that's just me again and we'll talk about that when we see it. Every time you do something cool the game flashes an award in your face to congratulate you for your badassery, so I don't think more needs to be said past this.

:911: Episodes :torgue:
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 1 - Red Letter Day
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 2 - RoboKy's quotes in this video would all make good video titles
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 3 - Life comes at you fast
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 4 - Maximum Grenade Belt
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 5 - Petty Reasons
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 6 - The Rise and Fall of Nick Mason

azren posted:

I don't know what it is about your threads, and me having blackouts that make horrible things appear on my computer. There are now skinless wolves circling my house right now, and half of my text documents are in Esperanto, but here we are.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I made one too.

Bootcha posted:

YOU HAVE UNLOCKED...

A memorial plaque.

Crabtree posted:

GROGNAR READY FOR CORPORATE RETREAT. IS WEARING BUSINESS CASUAL MASK.

Crabtree posted:

And because of re-watching that video I present to you the other survivor of the Fireman Group, Marshal Chipmunk.

nine-gear crow posted:

Funnily enough, the game has that one covered:

[BIGLY VERSION]

Bootcha posted:

YOU HAVE UNLOCKED...

URBAN COMIC: RAFF RESPONSE

koolkevz666 posted:

Sorry this isn't that good, i'm not very good at this stuff but I thought this kind of fits.

Bootcha posted:

Is there even a court to see this evidence?

Bootcha posted:

PLEASE PRESENT YOUR EVIDENCE BEFORE MY COURT, MASON.

nine-gear crow posted:

Unfortunately, the judge was powerless because

"We the jury in the above and titled case find the defendant, Officer Nicholas Mason, not guilty on all counts."

Crabtree posted:

You foolish civilians and your "ideas" about The Law needing any fancy thing to keep track of Justice. The only thing Nick wants is just a nice set of Aviators.

Also other idea I'm too tired to attempt right now, final upgrade for Taser is Nick just breaking the thing in his hands only to find out that he was one with the lightning all along.

Wiser Guy posted:

There's no such thing as excessive force for T-ZERO:

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm a bit late to this wild ride, but I figured I'd drop off something fun.

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT - Better picture:

chiasaur11 posted:

Interesting fact?

This game was going to be licensed, just like Batman. The deal fell through due to the linear nature of time, but some footage still exists of the earlier build.

I really think it had some potential.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Oh hell yes, my favourite shooter on the PS2, felt so much more tactile and brutal to use a riot shield rather than power shields and regenerating health.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Oh hell yes, my favourite shooter on the PS2, felt so much more tactile and brutal to use a riot shield rather than power shields and regenerating health.

:rock: BRUUUUTAAAALLLLLLLLLL :rock:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The more I think about it, I realize the blue liquid that you are given by Paramedics to heal with is definitely a play on the term blue bloods which is a TV series about a family of cops and is also a term to reference policemen.

You are literally injecting yourself with the blood of fallen police.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Wait, would that make police in this game vampires?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This possibly the most pro-police-state game in existence, second only by that Jack Slate game stuff.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Samovar posted:

This possibly the most pro-police-state game in existence, second only by that Jack Slate game stuff.

I had completely forgotten about how all his takedowns were named after breakfast :allears:

The Sandman posted:

Wait, would that make police in this game vampires?

I don't know, because Nick seems to be a monster that entered the world as a byproduct of the Philadelphia Experiment, emerging from the tear as a spirit of the Taser here to wreak havoc.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I was just thinking that there ought to be another look at this game. Looking forward to the misadventures of T-Zero!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
YOU HAVE UNLOCKED :five:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

This is extremely ridiculous and over the top in the best ways. My god.

YOU HAVE UNLOCKED....ALL OF THE WAR CRIMES

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Finally, a police simulator with a killcam and a head-shot quota.

I love the term "Zero Tolerance" because it implies that the police are so intolerant that they literally CANNOT TOLERATE A SINGLE THING ARRRRRRRGHHHHH!

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I played an ungodly amount of Hitman bloody money and the demo for this game was on that disc for some reason, so I played it pretty often as a breather. It was pretty good.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I LOVE this game. I played it so much when I was younger, it was fun, it was over the top and I found it highly entertaining. I didn't have the patience for side objectives, challenges and I suffered for it in the later levels but it never stopped being fun. Having you guys commentary for the game will only make it better.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I loving loved this game when I was younger, it's one of those things you remember occasionally and wonder if it was real. It's like a fever dream you'd have after spending a day reading US police blotters

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
My response in my head was "Oh god this loving game" the moment I realised what we were up against. I don't remember much beyond what we've seen here though, so I'm going to be remembering a lot of war crimes as we go along.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I love the term "Zero Tolerance" because it implies that the police are so intolerant that they literally CANNOT TOLERATE A SINGLE THING ARRRRRRRGHHHHH!

"You've proved you can kill many people as fast as possible in the line of duty, so here's a medal and we're going to upgrade-ten minutes pass-your pistol."

Do you think they add stuff like "BARBEQUE" to the police reports afterwards?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's a distinct difference between a barbequed police report and a broiled one

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Do you think they add stuff like "BARBEQUE" to the police reports afterwards?

The Secret VIP's that rule the city make those decisions in secret and we are not to question them. Or think about them. Or think about any of this. OR ELSE.

Anyone else think it's weird that the headshot quota keeps going up but the arrest quota stays the same?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
While I watch this, I have to point out that this game has no relationship to the first Urban Chaos game. It's a whole different brand of fun!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I rate this game two Chicago's out of two.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cathode Raymond posted:

Anyone else think it's weird that the headshot quota keeps going up but the arrest quota stays the same?
this is a game where police forces deploy without orders and are rewarded for it.

no.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

It will go up. Eventually.

But the headshots going up gets out of control.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Yay,a new LP from one my favorite LPers! And I get a front-row seat! :woop:

Cathode Raymond posted:

This game is secretly a Judge Dredd prequel.

Edit:disappointed that no one has posted the main theme yet.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 5, 2017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

this is a game where police forces deploy without orders and are rewarded for it.

no.

They absolutely have orders, who do you think is giving out the headshot quotas?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ah, it appears I was wrong. This LP should be called "Donald Trump's America Simulator" instead of mine :ocelot::v:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
This is just fantastic, absolutely fantastic.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

They absolutely have orders, who do you think is giving out the headshot quotas?

i am referring to the like second level where the handler explicitly says "hey go rescue this vip and murder a bunch of gangers without orders and also steal this shotgun while you're at it, if you pull it off it'll cut a lot of red tape"

and then you do it and everyone overlooks the fact that you're a dangerous psychopath who just happens to be wearing blue to give you more murder sticks.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Remember, we're police. Stick with the prod - the prod -

PAUL

UNATCO hurt my weenie

:o

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

berryjon posted:

While I watch this, I have to point out that this game has no relationship to the first Urban Chaos game. It's a whole different brand of fun!

I absolutely love Urban Chaos so I remember seeing this game and thinking "Something's not right here" when it first came out. It wasn't till much later just how much was not right.

Though I suppose in its own way this is what happens when Robocop suffers from Y2K.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Holy crap that aim. You playing this on an emulator?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Of course.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Zero tolerance, zero oversight.

And less than ten minutes to the first incineration via taser. Can't have a LP with you guys without one of those. This game is dumb as hell, thanks for showing it off.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 5, 2017

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
The tazer is eventually going to be able to make people explode from across the room, isn't it.

And it'll be an "arrest"?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Alavaria posted:

The tazer is eventually going to be able to make people explode from across the room, isn't it.

And it'll be an "arrest"?

As I understand it - and from watching the first levels the game has been consistent on this point - as long as the perp is unconscious or incapacitated for any amount of time before burning to death or exploding or dying from something else, it is counted as an arrest. I'm not sure this city even has jails. It definitely doesn't have courts.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Oh man, I remember this game from an LP I watched on Viddler a long, long time ago. I don't recall it being quite this ridiculous.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Enjoy~

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

quote:

2:46 PM - Lunethex: Episode 2 is encoding about 30 seconds. I made an edit.
2:46 PM - Lunethex: You know it's kind of unsettling how well anything Three Stooges related can slot into something.
2:46 PM - Coolguy: boinks and bonks are universal
2:46 PM - Lunethex: This goes a little beyond a bit of boinks and bonks brother

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't believe they haven't re-released and/or remastered this, considering today's political climate. You'd make money from right-wing nuts and 'ironic' left-wingers alike!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

This is gonna be good. :allears:

CommissarMega posted:

I can't believe they haven't re-released and/or remastered this, considering today's political climate. You'd make money from right-wing nuts and 'ironic' left-wingers alike!
Rocksteady's too busy making lovely Batman games.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 5, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The concept and presentation seem kind of monstrous but holy cow this looks fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
This game looks so amazing. Never have I been so happy to see police brutality in action. Who knew war crimes were fun? :allears:

• Locked thread