Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
jfc i just watched the video again and laughed so hard at YOU HAVE UNLOCKED that my dog came over and placed his chin on my knee to check if i was ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I don't know what it is about your threads, and me having blackouts that make horrible things appear on my computer. There are now skinless wolves circling my house right now, and half of my text documents are in Esperanto, but here we are.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I made one too.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Cathode Raymond posted:

I made one too.

This is wonderful. :allears:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this is already extremely powerful posting

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This really does seem like a regular Thursday in Chicago, all things considered.

I am so following this.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
YOU HAVE UNLOCKED... THE FLAMETHROWER is something I both hope and expect to hear at some point before this is over. Gotta keep cutting that red tape to get there though!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

YOU HAVE UNLOCKED... THE FLAMETHROWER is something I both hope and expect to hear at some point before this is over. Gotta keep cutting that red tape to get there though!

I regret to inform you there is no flamethrower. However, the Assault Rifle gets an upgrade that you never get to use which can definitely be construed as beyond the pale.

You also see the acetylene tanks all over the place. When shot they fly around and can ram into things. They don't hurt you but if they, rarely, hit an enemy, they set him on fire. Also, blowing things up sets them on fire as well. Molotovs will stop being used after a point in the game sadly.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 6, 2017

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh boy, it's war crimes o'clock again. :allears: This is going to be fun.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
This was probably unironically my favorite shooter on the PS2, the shield thing just felt AMAZING at the time, though I don't think I quite realized how NUTS this game was until later on.
The mook banter keeps cracking me up whenever I hear MASOOOOOON.

I also recall it being really drat hard on a few spots from actually trying to 100% it back then, and oh is that so worth it here, this is gonna be a helluva sweet ride and I worry for Coolguyes sides already :ohdear:

Didn't even make the connection that these were the same guys who made Arkham till you brought it up! It's actually pretty noticable when you die in this with what they do like in those games, I assume you'll show some of that off at some point!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I never died though :shobon:

edit: You are very right about Rocksteady starting their death scene streak with this game. For all the fun we're having and how corny we think it is, this game's atmosphere and mood shifts dramatically if you die and you see some of those scenes :suspense:

Seems like they're based on where you are, which of 3 ways you die, and who's around at the time. I'll gladly put together a video compilation of it all after the game's done, mostly because I'll be the only person to have done so if YouTube is any indication :getin:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 6, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Lunethex posted:

edit: You are very right about Rocksteady starting their death scene streak with this game. For all the fun we're having and how corny we think it is, this game's atmosphere and mood shifts dramatically if you die and you see some of those scenes :suspense:

So what we can gather from this tone shift is that whenever a perp's head explodes, Mason thinks it's hilarious, but he treats his own mortality very seriously? He is every bit the hero this city deserves :allears:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Seems like they're based on where you are, which of 3 ways you die, and who's around at the time. I'll gladly put together a video compilation of it all after the game's done, mostly because I'll be the only person to have done so if YouTube is any indication :getin:

I actually looked for it myself after your original post and couldn't find anything either, so cheers for that, wasn't sure if I was misremembering what they were like!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I remember seeing this game in the stores, and giving it a quick glance. I thought it was some sort of fireman simulator or whatever so i wrote it off as boring. Man how wrong i was. My teen self would have loved this game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I found the actual Fireman simulator in my youth. It was the most anime loving firefighting I'd ever seen too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefighter_F.D.18

There are boss fights against particularly violent infernos.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Plot

There are several stages. They are: 1. An underground tunnel. 2. A computer research facility. 3. A ship. 4. A chemical plant.

Thank you wikipedia.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GyverMac posted:

I remember seeing this game in the stores, and giving it a quick glance. I thought it was some sort of fireman simulator or whatever so i wrote it off as boring. Man how wrong i was. My teen self would have loved this game.

i mean i already was tempted to start humming burning rangers in the first episode so even at first glaze you're not completely wrong

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
William Dafoe IS Nick Mason!

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Did someone says space fire fighters!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SduTpbcbgFA

Zushio
May 8, 2008
What about the legitimately awesome The Firemen for SNES? Easily the best firefighting game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zushio posted:

What about the legitimately awesome The Firemen for SNES? Easily the best firefighting game.

lol wasn't that made by the same cats who did SOS? i've legit wanted to do an SOS LP at some point just because it is such a unique game but holy dick does that game make it hard to put on a compelling show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Lune compared this game to RoboCop off the bat, but after careful consideration, I think the more apt comparison is Judge Dredd. Nick Mason is THE LAW!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

nine-gear crow posted:

Lune compared this game to RoboCop off the bat, but after careful consideration, I think the more apt comparison is Judge Dredd. Nick Mason is THE LAW!

I was thinking the Adeptus Aribites from Warhammer 40k myself (who are basically an homage to Dredd,so same thing really).

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Earlier today I was thinking how this game could probably be turned into a 40K thing with a re-skin and a new coat of paint. Glad I'm not the only one who got that impression. I wasn't even thinking about the Arbites though, but it makes even more sense. You're basically fighting an hive world undercity gang already.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Zushio posted:

I remember playing that on my old SNES emulator. For such a cartoony game it certainly showed how dangerous fires, and burning robots, really are.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Outside of the famous quote, I don't know a single thing about Judge Dredd to be honest.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Considering this and the Batman games they went on to make, I can't help but wonder if there's a contingent of people in this company who unironically think Miranda Rights and due process are mistakes.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I gotta be honest here: if I lived in a universe where Joker breaking out of Arkham to enact his latest scheme was a weekly event, and hundreds of homicidal maniacs (who are not Nick Mason) descended upon my neighborhood monthly, I might not be too big on the whole "rule of law" and "due process" and "human rights" stuff.

Either way, that doesn't excuse the limp dick lawyers and chickenshit bureaucrats that are preventing Nick Mason from acquiring a flamethrower and properly letting loose the flames of Justice on those low-life criminals.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

limp dick lawyers and chickenshit bureaucrats

Vote Senator Steven Armstrong in the 2020 election. He'll Make America Great Again-For Real This Time™

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Are you sure this game isn't how we train police to this day?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Blarghalt posted:

Considering this and the Batman games they went on to make, I can't help but wonder if there's a contingent of people in this company who unironically think Miranda Rights and due process are mistakes.

At the very least, flagrantly removing them from video games and practically flaunting that fact has worked wonders for them.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Where does Mason actually inject his healing stuff? His bicep? His lung?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yes.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Where does Mason actually inject his healing stuff? His bicep? His lung?
His trigger finger?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Is... is Nick Mason a proto-Logan? :ohdear:

Because there's an awful lot of setting people on fire with a taser.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

Is... is Nick Mason a proto-Logan? :ohdear:

Because there's an awful lot of setting people on fire with a taser.

Wel'll know if a proto-Rhoemer screaming MAAAAAAAAAAASOOOOOOON!! shows up at some point.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Coolguy thinks this looks like Wesker.

The similarities are blowing me away :crossarms:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
YOU HAVE UNLOCKED....

COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
How many games are going to converge in this LP :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching