Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Quicksilver6 posted:

I'm just imagining a drone made entirely of cleavers that uses a mix of molotov jet engines and smaller, spinnier cleavers to fly, and I have to say...

I want to fight those in an FPS.

Just mod Manhacks from HL2 to have incendiary explosions on death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
kaizo half life 2

i can dig it

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
When they bombed the rooftop were they trying to like reference the MOVE bombing?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Urban Chaos: Riot Response Episode 3 - Life comes at you fast

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.
I still love that the pre-mission news is running late at night, reporting the "just now happening" gang attacks, and you arrive on scene somewhere between 10am and 3pm.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Are these unofficial missions rescuing people that Adam Wolf wants dead or something? Is that why they have to be done before HQ finds out? They seem to be close to the mayor, who appears to be associated with Adam Wolf, so are they minions that have outlived their usefulness?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That bonus mission was unfair.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe some of you fuckers are apparently insisting that the saw isn't a chainsaw. It's clearly a standard police issue chainsaw, and Nick Mason knows a thing or two about those.

I'm kinda disappointed with how it seems like it's just a cleaver re-skin, though. A wasted opportunity.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Jegan posted:

Are these unofficial missions rescuing people that Adam Wolf wants dead or something? Is that why they have to be done before HQ finds out? They seem to be close to the mayor, who appears to be associated with Adam Wolf, so are they minions that have outlived their usefulness?

Hahaha you believe those lies

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I am having such a great laugh seeing the comments on the Urban Chaos videos. There are people asking us to play Syphon Filter and Resident Evil 6.

I don't know if I should be the one to tell them that all of this has happened :allears:

Whoever coined the phrase "Back to square one" must never have imagine it would be so literal one day

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trizophenie posted:

I still love that the pre-mission news is running late at night, reporting the "just now happening" gang attacks, and you arrive on scene somewhere between 10am and 3pm.

What really blows my mind is that if you watch them in rapid succession, the news anchor actually changes her jacket, repeatedly, each time there's a new report. Like an actual news anchor does between nightly broadcasts, visually implying the passage of time between missions, rather than having her do everything in one recording session wearing the same jacket.

It's like Rocksteady was actually... thinking... when they made this game...

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

nine-gear crow posted:

What really blows my mind is that if you watch them in rapid succession, the news anchor actually changes her jacket, repeatedly, each time there's a new report. Like an actual news anchor does between nightly broadcasts, visually implying the passage of time between missions, rather than having her do everything in one recording session wearing the same jacket.

I don't think I'll ever know short of a dev who worked on the game coming in and telling me if this game was just them loving with people or not.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lunethex posted:

I am having such a great laugh seeing the comments on the Urban Chaos videos. There are people asking us to play Syphon Filter and Resident Evil 6.

I don't know if I should be the one to tell them that all of this has happened :allears:

Whoever coined the phrase "Back to square one" must never have imagine it would be so literal one day

clearly the solution is to reupload all the crap on our channel to churn our activity for youtube's algorithm there is no possible way this could piss anyone off given the overlap between your channel and ours

CLEARLY

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

nine-gear crow posted:

That... can't be! Budget games with polish?!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Everyone should wear mascara all the time, I agree with Coolguye. I'm not being ironic.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The monkey burners are my favourites. T-Zero is god drat terrifying though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This is a really, really well-made game, and it's easy to see how Rocksteady landed Arkham after it. Also, this game established Rocksteady's mascara'd emergency service rescue simulator series. The exact same outfits are used for some NPCs in the Arkham series. And, yeah, sewer emergency is where I decided I couldn't get 100% as a kid.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Crabtree posted:

And because of re-watching that video I present to you the other survivor of the Fireman Group, Marshal Chipmunk.

holy poo poo

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

To be fair, you can get headshots on one run then arrests on the other.

But I think that's lame and I want to be able to get everything at once :smug:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Doing some serious swooning over here someone catch me as I have the vapours but that might be from all the smoke because the city is on fire.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Doing some serious swooning over here someone catch me as I have the vapours but that might be from all the smoke because the city is on fire.
Defensive Anti-Police fire.

And yes, who the gently caress keeps sending paramedics and firefighters into the clearly Gang started war zone?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Croccers posted:

Defensive Anti-Police fire.

And yes, who the gently caress keeps sending paramedics and firefighters into the clearly Gang started war zone?

They all have enormous balls dedication.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They have unlocked enormous dedication.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is it possible to use the ranged taser on hostage takers?

Also the "You Have Unlocked" Voice over guy reminds me of the VO from World's Wildest Police Videos

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Is it possible to use the ranged taser on hostage takers?

Also the "You Have Unlocked" Voice over guy reminds me of the VO from World's Wildest Police Videos

No, you just get shot a lot. Mostly it hits the hostage and they will die of course.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The best part of this game, besides all the murder, is how it starts you out thinking "man this is so over-the-top it's gotta be satire, there's gonna be some twist coming up where it turns out that your CO was behind it all the whole time and you've been part of his plans with your reckless disregard for police procedure and human life" and then the game says nope and pulls a hard turn into earnest right-wing fantasy fiction where the human rights activist was actually a conniving criminal who fled to Mexico and now the President himself has authorized T-Zero to take back the streets with their automatic shotguns and helicopter gunships.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Coolguye posted:

clearly the solution is to reupload all the crap on our channel to churn our activity for youtube's algorithm there is no possible way this could piss anyone off given the overlap between your channel and ours

CLEARLY

Is Lunethex the fourth member of Time Warriors now?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kai Tave posted:

The best part of this game, besides all the murder, is how it starts you out thinking "man this is so over-the-top it's gotta be satire, there's gonna be some twist coming up where it turns out that your CO was behind it all the whole time and you've been part of his plans with your reckless disregard for police procedure and human life" and then the game says nope and pulls a hard turn into earnest right-wing fantasy fiction where the human rights activist was actually a conniving criminal who fled to Mexico and now the President himself has authorized T-Zero to take back the streets with their automatic shotguns and helicopter gunships.
Someone has to take back the streets of Chicago, New York.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Funnily enough, the game has that one covered:

[BIGLY VERSION]

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I'm so glad that people are getting a use out of that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

White Coke posted:

Is Lunethex the fourth member of Time Warriors now?

we will cooperate with anyone who loves facemelting fun, friend o/

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Funnily enough, the game has that one covered:

[BIGLY VERSION]

holy poo poo THIS OWNS

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Man, this game and Metal Wolf Chaos feel like they're cut from the same cloth of Patriotism so blatently over the top that it ceases to be unnerving and becomes /absolutely hilarious/

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rorahusky posted:

Man, this game and Metal Wolf Chaos feel like they're cut from the same cloth of Patriotism so blatently over the top that it ceases to be unnerving and becomes /absolutely hilarious/

The thing is that Metal Wolf Chaos is a game about the President of the United States battling a villainous coup perpetrated by his VP by piloting a GIANT ROBOT into anime superbattles. The premise is inherently ridiculous and the layer of over-the-top patriotism enhances that precisely because it's completely goofy. Meanwhile Urban Chaos: Riot Response is about, essentially, an increasingly militarized SWAT team being given carte blanche to go around solving problems guns-first because of urban crime/terrorism while namby-pamby civil rights activists try to stand in their way with dastardly conspiracies to undermine our boys in blue, and one of these cuts a little bit closer to home.

Lunethex sort of briefly touched on this in the first video but this game came out in 2006, so about five years after 9/11 and six years into the George W. Bush presidency which was a time when people were earnestly holding up Jack Bauer as an inspirational figure and nothing was a step too far to keep Merica safe from terrorism, and even when I first played it back before Rocksteady would go on to make a name for themselves with Batman, I was never quite sure whether it was supposed to be satirical or not. I mean you'd think so, yeah? It certainly has a lot of the hallmarks. But at the same time if it's satire they play it remarkably straightfaced the whole way through, and I don't really want to spoil anything but I'll say that there were several places in the game where I thought a telegraphed plot twist was coming that didn't. Or I thought the satire would grow just a bit more ridiculous so you could tell hey yeah, they're actually making fun of this, but it still remains kind of, I dunno, muddled in places? I do think it's incredibly hilarious how this game has if anything managed to become even more relevant now 11 years after it was first made.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As they also pointed out, this sort of follows the later Arkham Game's love of depopulating cities of anyone that isn't part of this blue identity of cops, paramedics, fire fighters or basically any civilian that could get in THE LAW's way. It's just an seemingly endless mess of terrorists and one T-Zero Officer. Hell, maybe anyone that picks up the riot shield is just called Nick Mason. It's a shared identity. With Batman it was less this force of government reworking THE CITY into a military control over TERRORISM, partially because Batman was a vigilante that cops just accepted as their God that brought about the crime he fought. But so far everything that brought about or trained T-Zero (and the terror it fights) is escaping to Mexico or looking bad except for the Avatar of Death that is going around power-sawing masked crazies in half, electrocuting them into a passive/dead state or just mowing them down with lead.

Half the game is reveling in the punishment you can deal while the other is so far down the road of self-aware video game mechanics that its just a boisterous voice that proudly proclaims YOU HAVE UNLOCKED, UNNECESSARY ANALYSIS when you read this.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
You know, I'm expecting a twist with the whole "Gotta rescue this VIP from the Burners before HQ finds out" shtick. I want it to be "You've been my unwitting puppet Nick Mason, and now Beta Metro City One, USA is going to be the foundation on which all other police state cities (city-states?) will be based on. Join me and fulfill your destiny."

It's not though, is it? This America Train is going to OOH-RAH right on through to the end of the game. Fueled by bald eagles, trailing a massive American flag in its wake and punishing all terrorists* Violent Gang Members in their path.

*It is good I guess that the bad guys in this are all white guys. On the flip side, everybody is also white guys. And the only women are the newscaster and the medics.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

You know, I'm expecting a twist with the whole "Gotta rescue this VIP from the Burners before HQ finds out" shtick. I want it to be "You've been my unwitting puppet Nick Mason, and now Beta Metro City One, USA is going to be the foundation on which all other police state cities (city-states?) will be based on. Join me and fulfill your destiny."
What, is this the Rule of Two (Nick Mason and Adam Wolf, of course)

I bet you'll take a firefighter as your secret apprentice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alavaria posted:

What, is this the Rule of Two (Nick Mason and Adam Wolf, of course)

I bet you'll take a firefighter as your secret apprentice.

Please, if they were operating on the Rule of Two, then there would be a mission where Wolf sends you to kill Mayor Wyatt (his old Master) to sew up all the loose--...there's totally gonna be a mission where we're gonna kill the mayor, isn't there? :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CzarChasm posted:

You know, I'm expecting a twist with the whole "Gotta rescue this VIP from the Burners before HQ finds out" shtick.

Oh yeah, I also wanted to point out since Lunethex et al are usually too busy laughing about other stuff how ridiculous the premise for these side missions are. "Nick, the Burners have kidnapped a VIP who's VITAL TO THE CITY'S SURVIVAL." Like there's this collection of men in business suits metaphysically attuned to the essence of Neo Olde Chicago and if they die the city dies with them.

• Locked thread