Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I had this whole intro typed up but then I realized there was already a pretty succinct summary of Samurai Jack already out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e51hgWIsY4M

Samurai Jack ran on Cartoon Network from 2001 until 2004. It was created by Genndy Tartakovsky, most well known for creating hit cartoons like Dexter's Laboratory and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars shorts (not the CGI cartoon, the 2D one that actually made General Grievous look cool). He also directed a lot Powerpuff Girls episodes, and is responsible for Hotel Transylvania starring Adam Sandler but he shouldn't be too proud of that one.

ANYYYWAY, Samurai Jack followed a time-displaced samurai trying to prevent the FUTURE THAT IS AKU. It was extremely episodic, one episode could have Jack fighting an army of bug robots and the next could have Jack breaking his wooden sandals and comically having to go try a bunch of new ones and fighting in stiletto heels. It's widely remembered for its stylish animation. It won 4 Emmys for god's sake! It's also remembered for being incredibly violent while dodging censors because practically every bad guy Jack tore to shreds was actually a robot (or an alien)

and so Jack would end fights covered in oil when you knew it was supposed to be blood :v:.

Like all good cartoons though, it ended. Tartakovsky has stated that he was in talks to make a movie, but it always seemed to wind up in development hell. Jack would be lost to the ages, only showing up in lovely Cartoon Network games every now and then. But now, loving 13 years later, out of the blue, Jack is Back. Adult Swim announced that Samurai Jack would have a 5th season airing on their Toonami block (hey kids get ready for 100% more blood) back in 2015, then they loving teased us for a straight year waiting to announce when it was actually going to air. But now we finally have details: March 11th. It's going to be 10 episodes long and unlike the old series, it's going to actually have continuity, all leading to a definitive ending. The plot (the amount that's been revealed at least) catches up with Jack 50 years later. He has not aged (perhaps due to being a time traveler?) and is getting pretty worn down by the constant fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgXDiXr-0M

Also here's an interview with Tartakovsky from 2015 talking about the new season (also has Phil Lamarr joking about how voicing Jack is a really easy gig) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT6yhhfiUh8

So I guess if you haven't seen the series before, I should cover some basics:

Characters

Samurai Jack voiced by Phil Lamarr

OH WAIT BUT WE'RE EVEN FARTHER IN THE FUTURE

Samurai Jack is a samurai flung through time from ancient Japan. His name isn't actually Jack, he was just dubbed Jack by some jive talkin' aliens and for some reason just rolled with it. He never corrects anybody on it at least. Jack is trained in pretty much all forms of combat, from archery to hand-to-hand, and apparently judging by the new trailers, guns. His main weapon is his sword though. It's a hanzo steel katana imbued by the gods with magic powers which make it able to slay demons and also make it pretty much unbreakable.

Fun facts:
  • Jack's sword cannot be used against him because he's pure of heart or some such poo poo.
  • Jack's archery teacher was Robin Hood.
  • Jack jumps good.

Aku voiced by Greg Baldwin, replacing the late, great Mako

Aku is the ultimate evil. He can shapeshift, he's completely immune to non-magic weapons, he's got a lot of other bullshit magic powers and he has conquered the world. He is the show's ultimate enemy... but also its main comedy relief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7N67hn0TlA

Aku is kind of a coward, although that's fair seeing as Jack carries the only thing that's a threat to him.

Fun facts:
  • Aku is split off from a larger formless evil in space from the beginning of time, one that Vishnu, Ra, and Odin teamed up to defeat*. A little piece that Odin missed (SMOOTH MOVE ALL-FATHER) broke off and flew through space until it crashed into Earth and eventually formed into Aku.
  • *said gods also forged the magic sword Jack wields
  • Since Aku prefers not to face Jack one-on-one, he sends a lot of mercenaries, which can be ordered by phone in the GRIM FUTURE THAT IS AKU.
  • Aku has turned into a lady once just to dick with Jack
  • Aku personally killed Jack's dad, so if conquering the world wasn't enough reason for Jack to hate him... y'know, there's that.

OTHER CHARACTERS

The Scotsman voiced by John Dimaggio

The Scotsman is a total rear end in a top hat who met Jack when they were both trying to cross a narrow bridge at the same time. They started fighting over trivial bullshit (like any superhero teamup) until some bounty hunters cuffed them together and they had to work together to free themselves. The Scotsman holds the honor of being basically the only recurring character on Samurai Jack, having shown up in more than one episode. He's part of a clan of other very large Scotsmen and he'll have you know his wife is the sweetest flower in all of the land. He's also going to appear in this season too, you can see him for a brief second in the trailer.

It looks like in the 50 years since last season, he's gotten a cyber eye and a much larger gun-leg.

Fun facts:
  • His sword is enchanted with magic runes, making it equally unbreakable with Jack's sword
  • He's also wanted by Aku, so presumably either the sword can hurt Aku, or he just has some other unspecified beef with the Scotsman
  • He carries a bagpipe everywhere but he's loving awful at playing it

These random rear end bounty hunter ladies?

Who knows? They don't look very nice.

Anyway I've gone on long enough. Also since this is airing on Toonami, I feel obligated to post a link to the current Adult Swim/Toonami thread where you can hang out and shitpost about anything on AS/Toonami that doesn't already have a dedicated thread here in TVIV. Also here's the General Kids' Show Thread where you can talk about other cartoons and drown yourself in nostalgia.

The original series can be found on DVD and on Amazon video, and if Cartoon Network had any sense, they'd put the episodes up streaming on their site. IGNORE ME I'M WRONG

livingfruitvirus posted:

They can't because they sold the rights to Hulu not long ago. https://www.hulu.com/samurai-jack

Anyway, definitely watch it if you can.

Pictured: Cartoon Network, teasing you for a whole year with promises of new Jack.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

TwoPair posted:

The original series can be found on DVD and on Amazon video, and if Cartoon Network had any sense, they'd put the episodes up streaming on their site.

They can't because they sold the rights to Hulu not long ago. https://www.hulu.com/samurai-jack

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched Jack and the Haunted House last night, and I really don't get why I never see anybody talking about that episode.

That episode's ending fight is seriously impressive looking.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I recently saw this video about Samurai Jack. Thought I should share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRbEMYnqLvY

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

One thing to point out is that the action scenes in Jack were, and still are, exceedingly good. Pacing, flow, animation and action were all well animated and enacted. Given that this was around the time Toonami was just starting up, bringing DBZ and Kenshin with them, Samurai Jack still stood out for its animation.

Also, iirc, Tartakovsky said that he did Hotel Transylvania to prove that he could make a successful movie so he could get funding for Samurai Jack: The Movie. I think it was from his AMA.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I am so, so incredibly stoked for Samurai Jack. It's kind of ironic that the legendary show would itself be flung into the future. :haw:

E: ^^^ don't forget sound direction. The action sequences in 'Jack and the Spartans' have this pounding war theme that never fails to get the adrenaline pumping. 'Jack and the 3 Blind Archers' and 'The Princess and the Bounty-Hunters' are also excellent from the opposite end of the spectrum, ie honing in on silence and minute sounds to set the tension.

Can you tell I've been binge watching recently?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 6, 2017

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I am so, so incredibly stoked for Samurai Jack. It's kind of ironic that the legendary show would itself be flung into the future. :haw:

E: ^^^ don't forget sound direction. The action sequences in 'Jack and the Spartans' have this pounding war theme that never fails to get the adrenaline pumping. 'Jack and the 3 Blind Archers' and 'The Princess and the Bounty-Hunters' are also excellent from the opposite end of the spectrum, ie honing in on silence and minute sounds to set the tension.

Can you tell I've been binge watching recently?

Oh, wow. Its kind of telling that when you mentioned the episode, I remember the scene with the princess practicing cutting water drops. So good.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Oh, wow. Its kind of telling that when you mentioned the episode, I remember the scene with the princess practicing cutting water drops. So good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWW9m0t5_IY

:black101:

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
The Jack marathon stream has returned.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/streams/samurai-jack

AND there will be a live Q&A with Genndy Tartakovsky Saturday at 10 PM Eastern, followed by the season premiere at 10:30 PM on this stream.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Oh man...I can't wait till a firm date for the return is posted.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

livingfruitvirus posted:

The Jack marathon stream has returned.

AND there will be a live Q&A with Genndy Tartakovsky Saturday at 10 PM Eastern, followed by the season premiere at 10:30 PM on this stream.

Aw HELL YEAH! :woop:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

Oh man...I can't wait till a firm date for the return is posted.

Saturday, like this Saturday, at 11.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Many years later, it just clicked with me that Jack's theme song (ie in the show while he's walking around, not the intro theme) is an homage to Yojimbo's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-1yudPCq8&t=43s

Guess my Japanese Film Studies course in college finally paid off! :v: It's crazy picking up on the references in Samurai Jack now that I'm older.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's crazy picking up on the references in Samurai Jack now that I'm older.

I like the character that's literally just Jigen in the season 3 finale

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Was wondering when someone would make a thread for this. :v:

Anyone wanna get into speculation? Cause I've noticed a lot of people going on about how Jack's sword is conspicuously absent from the trailers...

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think he lost it at some point during the time skip.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Regalingualius posted:

Anyone wanna get into speculation? Cause I've noticed a lot of people going on about how Jack's sword is conspicuously absent from the trailers...

If the comics are in any way canon, then (spoilers from comic) Jack is able to manifest the blade spiritually from his own pure soul.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I can't agree with this enough. 'Jack and the 3 Blind Archers' and 'The Princess and the Bounty-Hunters' were easily two of my favourite episodes, and it's no coincidence that they do a lot of with sound. I don't think it's in either one, but I just loved when they panned around a village in the rain and you could hear the different sounds of the rain pattering off the roof, the trees, and some metal. The silence that often permeates the majority of most episodes only enhances it.

Anyways, super stoked, can't wait.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

If the comics are in any way canon, then (spoilers from comic) Jack is able to manifest the blade spiritually from his own pure soul.

They are not.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Khaba posted:

I can't agree with this enough. 'Jack and the 3 Blind Archers' and 'The Princess and the Bounty-Hunters' were easily two of my favourite episodes, and it's no coincidence that they do a lot of with sound. I don't think it's in either one, but I just loved when they panned around a village in the rain and you could hear the different sounds of the rain pattering off the roof, the trees, and some metal. The silence that often permeates the majority of most episodes only enhances it.

Anyways, super stoked, can't wait.

You're probably thinking of "Samurai vs Samurai" where Jack is antagonized by an obnoxious 70s Blaxploitation film character poser. The attention to detail, especially with the rain falling on the bamboo stick, is rather stunning!

Also, a reminder that Adult Swim is doing a continuous stream of Samurai Jack until Saturday. It will have a Q&A with Genndy Tartakovsky at 10 PM EST then premiering Season 5 at 10:30 PM EST, 30 minutes earlier than Cable TV:

It's been a lot of fun geeking out over nostalgia with other long-time fans. What's even better was seeing commentary from people who've never seen the show before and were guessing at what would happen next. To be that young again... :allears:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This takes place 50 years further into the already-far-future, I'm guessing Jack lost the sword 50 years back not long after the original series' finale and he'll have to go back in time to get it before he can go all the way back.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm gonna guess that at some point in the intervening years, Jack lost all hope of ever beating Aku or getting back to the past, the sword manifested as a spirit (the blue one that appears in the trailer) to call him out on it and deem him unworthy, and the start of the season is him finally getting his fire sparked again and setting out to recover it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You can see him holding the sword for a split second in the trailer, so I'm guessing he either loses it and gets it back, or over the years that Jack's grown disillusioned, and he finally just thought "A gun works fine on all these robots"

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Posters for sale!

https://asseenonadultswim.com/collections/adult-swim-shop/products/samurai-jack-pack-of-3-posters

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Oh man...what is that third poster about? :stare:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Man, Samurai Jack with blood is such a wild concept. Maybe those bounty hunters won't be inexplicably robotic.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I've been looking for a way to return the favor for a very thoughtful gift from a friend. Wish I'd gotten her a signed copy, but this'll still do nicely!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Man, Samurai Jack with blood is such a wild concept. Maybe those bounty hunters won't be inexplicably robotic.

It's not blood it's just red oil!!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8mcDmXqo3w

This is still my favorite scene in the show, Aku ordering a Pizza fake-out.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
One of the greatest fights in this show was between Jack and the ninja. I still return to it from time to time.

Crazy that we're going to get more of it. Looking forward to discussing the new episodes with you guys.

Currently on the streaming is the expert bounty hunters from different regions of the world who collaborate and argue about who will do what in the grand plan. The ending is fantastic, it really cements how much progress Jack has made since the beginning of his quest.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

You're probably thinking of "Samurai vs Samurai" where Jack is antagonized by an obnoxious 70s Blaxploitation film character poser. The attention to detail, especially with the rain falling on the bamboo stick, is rather stunning!

You might be right, I watched a clip of it and it wasn't exactly what I recall, but I could just be misremembering. It doesn't matter either way, that's just one example amongst so many of amazing sound design, or whatever it's called.

It's a pity that those posters aren't available for international shipping.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TV Zombie posted:

Oh man...what is that third poster about? :stare:

Samurai Jack is gonna decapitate one of the female assassins, holy poo poo. :stare::stare::stare:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Samurai Jack is gonna decapitate one of the female assassins, holy poo poo. :stare::stare::stare:

I'm pretty sure I see a chin poking up, it's just hard to see because they're pale.

Probably gut-stabbed.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The episode with gangsters was always my favorite episode but I think my favorite fight in the show is still that initial one with the Scotsman

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just as a reminder:

On the Adult Swim website, there's an on-going marathon for the old Samurai Jack episodes until 10 pm. At 10, there will be a Q&A with Genndy Tartakovsky followed by the Season Five premiere at 10:30 (and on cable at 11).

e: Wow, there's a lot of spammers screaming slurs and hate speech over and over again in the chat. Just a forewarning; you can full screen the video to avoid the chat if you want. :whitewater:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 11, 2017

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Just as a reminder:

On the Adult Swim website, there's an on-going marathon for the old Samurai Jack episodes until 10 pm. At 10, there will be a Q&A with Genndy Tartakovsky followed by the Season Five premiere at 10:30 (and on cable at 11).

e: Wow, there's a lot of spammers screaming slurs and hate speech over and over again in the chat. Just a forewarning; you can full screen the video to avoid the chat if you want. :whitewater:

It's like a chat room with 640 people might cause problems! This is pretty funny though. People spam it every time a new episode begins.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
12k viewers, 982 in chat! Yowza! :eyepop::captainpop:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Please be good. :pray: That's all I ask, good and a conclusion to give some closure!

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

12k viewers, 982 in chat! Yowza! :eyepop::captainpop:

Now up to 17k, 1295 chatters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Not sure what I expected, but this chat is mostly trash.

• Locked thread