Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

livingfruitvirus posted:

They put it up after it's aired on the west coast.

Well, that's the theory but frankly a lot of shows randomly decide to wait a few weeks before adding stuff to streaming sites, or to some streaming sites, or skip episodes for a while, and nobody really seems to know why.

(It's actually probably an encoding issue on certain services' formats, but nobody ever really comes around afterwards to explain.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

TFW the only deal with 50 years of fighting is to see everyone you kill as a machine.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VJeff posted:

That's the elephant in the room of this whole thing. No matter how much everybody involved is firing on all cylinders (and it looks like, for all intents and purposes, everybody is), there's always gonna be something missing with Aku. Not to disparage the new guy I'm sure he'll do his best, Mako was just special.
The new voice of Aku is Greg Baldwin, the understudy of Mako, the original voice actor. He replaced him in his other big cartoon role, Uncle Iroh of the Avatar franchise.

PhazonLink posted:

Then again, Legend of Korra also had a really good first episode.
The big problems with Legend of Korra's first season are generally agreed to be 1. Bringing up complex sociopolitical issues and then failing to do anything with them, 2. An ending that attempts to wrap everything in a neat little bow at the cost of meaningful character development, and 3. a love triangle with pretty lovely execution. I can't really see any of these being a problem with Samurai Jack of all things.

I was thinking that maybe they made the return a little too dark, and then the scatting robot came on and it was perfect.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nope, they were actually robots too. I believe the only human Jack killed in the series was the old viking warrior that was cursed and became a rock monster.

this sounds like citation needed.

The bounty hunters, not the rock monster.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dean of Swing posted:

TFW the only deal with 50 years of fighting is to see everyone you kill as a machine.

I wonder if Jack will hallucinate and literally see the Daughters of Aku as machines spurting oil instead of blood?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Vanderdeath posted:

Come on, man. It was a Sammy Davis Jr. impersonation through and through.

:doh: Yes, you're right.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
drat, that was intense. The leaves in the river, in particular, served as a horribly brilliant visual metaphor. I'm both excited and scared to see what comes later.

The fight with Scaramouche was an awesome and fun way to finish this episode, though I feel the Lyndebot was a last hurrah for Samurai Jack's more quirky characters, which is somewhat bittersweet. Then again, the Scotman's supposed to show up later; I'm excited to see what role he'll play.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Theory: The shadowy figure on the horse is the possible future where Jack succumbs to destructive nihilism and becomes a force of chaos worse than Aku. He's terrified of what he's becoming to the point of hallucinations. If he can't go back to the past nor die of old age, what else is there left but to slowly go mad from decay and entropy? What is there left to live for if he's denied his purpose in life?

Gonna guess that this is what's going on.

Not gonna spoiler because show aired. Look at the shadow samurai: Multiple weapons, the armor, and what must be The Sword again. The other weapons might be particularly powerful weapons of defeated foes.

Jack takes Sammy Diskdrive Jr.'s explosion sword at the end of the episode.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jack has a lot of burden on his shoulders. He's the one supposed to save everyone. It's his literal purpose in life since he was a small child, anyone in his shoes would go crazy.

E: Something I just noticed:

The hallucinated floating corpses in the river are specifically drawn to be both struggling and blind. :stare::stare::stare:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 13, 2017

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013
I wonder if Aku stopped caring about Jack/everything at some point considering Scaramouche was gonna tell him that Jack had lost The Sword like he didn't know previously .

The only time we saw him in this episode was in statue form only in the Daughters of Aku Lair. Is he less present than before or was it just because of episode pacing/setting the scene for the new season?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bear in the Woods posted:

The only time we saw him in this episode was in statue form only in the Daughters of Aku Lair. Is he less present than before or was it just because of episode pacing/setting the scene for the new season?

The head Daughter mentioned that if they killed Jack, then maybe Aku would return to them. But then again, he was on the phone later, so who knows what exactly that means.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I wonder if Aku stopped caring about Jack/everything at some point considering Scaramouche was gonna tell him that Jack had lost The Sword like he didn't know previously .

I wanted to say that if either Jack or Aku had kinda stopped participating in their mutual rivalry Scaramouch would have been more "You know who I am?" but he actually was.

He kept going on about how he's Mr. #1, and talking about Jack's new look. So maybe Jack has really just hosed off to aimless do...stuff.

Another thing: Jack's psychosis seemed to get triggered specifically when he ignored the destroyed town. He see it, moves on to the river and get's a face full of leaf zombies, then runs again and get's roasted, finally heading off toward the village.

He still has an episode in the town, but you could call that an effect of the guilt from ignoring them initially.

Maybe there will have been an incident relating to Jack trying to just focus on returning home and letting something terrible happen.

There is so much back story to go through in 10 episodes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jack is stuck between a rock and a hard place, I think.

After 50 years, Jack has come to believe all hope is lost. Yet, he's still driven on by his personal demons (:haw:) to keep existing. He still feels an obligation like before, but he's just too exhausted from the struggle to keep his heart in it.

Crazy theory: is the rope thing on Jacks neck when he's fighting the bug bots supposed to represent a noose? It kinda looks like it. (Or is it just to keep the mask secure on his face?)

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 13, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

The head Daughter mentioned that if they killed Jack, then maybe Aku would return to them. But then again, he was on the phone later, so who knows what exactly that means.

I'm guessing it's more of a crazy cult thing and Aku doesn't know about them at all.

I wonder if Aku stopped caring about Jack/everything at some point considering Scaramouche was gonna tell him that Jack had lost The Sword like he didn't know previously.

That's my theory. I mean, in the original series, Aku's trying to kill Jack just because Jack's gunning for him constantly. Probably over the last 50 years, in the same way that Jack's become world weary, Aku just stopped caring. I mean, in the very first episode, he didn't really try to find the one weapon that could harm him after his resurrection (you'd think that would be a priority) before Jack came along, and Jack was able to waltz right up to Aku's lair. Clearly he still cares a little, since he's still sending mercs like Scaramouche, but Jack's not a priority. Even if he did know Jack had lost the sword, he probably wouldn't show up in person to kill Jack, he's not a proactive guy.

Actually, posting that clip reminded me that Aku can see Jack all the time so he would definitely know the sword was gone... if he cared enough to check.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh god yes jack is back.
gently caress me what about the guardian, what about all of his friends, when did he lose the sword (and is he still pure of heart enough to use it)

Oh man i am psyched.
Scaramouche made me feel like im a kid again, baby.

And the spectre reminds me of jacks dad in full battle dress.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 13, 2017

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
That was Samurai Jack as hell.

I am deeply intrigued as to how he will both snap out of this craziness and get his sword back.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Crain posted:

I wanted to say that if either Jack or Aku had kinda stopped participating in their mutual rivalry Scaramouch would have been more "You know who I am?" but he actually was.

He kept going on about how he's Mr. #1, and talking about Jack's new look. So maybe Jack has really just hosed off to aimless do...stuff.

Another thing: Jack's psychosis seemed to get triggered specifically when he ignored the destroyed town. He see it, moves on to the river and get's a face full of leaf zombies, then runs again and get's roasted, finally heading off toward the village.

He still has an episode in the town, but you could call that an effect of the guilt from ignoring them initially.

Maybe there will have been an incident relating to Jack trying to just focus on returning home and letting something terrible happen.

There is so much back story to go through in 10 episodes.

In the original seasons, Jack was always torn between two objectives: helping those in need and find a time portal to stop Aku permanently. The problem is his code of honor was so strong he would always sacrifice the chance for the portal to save the weak of the week. Before, he could always brush it off as "oh well, there's surely another one somewhere". After several decades, it doesn't look like he can convince himself with that excuse anymore, AND the helpless are still being terrorized without end. Much like with Jack Bauer and the seemingly endless supply of terrorists, Jack may as well not even bother saving people one week if odds are some other random rear end in a top hat comes in behind him to gently caress them up the next.

He's failed both his goals, and he's painfully aware of it, but he's trapped in an undying Sisyphean hell nonetheless.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 13, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That was way better than I would have expected for a show that's been gone for 13 years.

Predictions:
- That horseman vision is absolutely a corrupted Jack
- Ashi will turn against her cult or team up with Jack when she sees he isn't the evil guy she's been raised to hate

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Clearly he still cares a little, since he's still sending mercs like Scaramouche, but Jack's not a priority. Even if he did know Jack had lost the sword, he probably wouldn't show up in person to kill Jack, he's not a proactive guy.

Actually, posting that clip reminded me that Aku can see Jack all the time so he would definitely know the sword was gone... if he cared enough to check.

Yeah, based on your last comment I think it's doubtful that Aku even sent Scaramouche in the first place. He was probably taking initiative and trying to do something he thought would get Aku's favor or something like that. Cause as you said, if Aku was actively pursuing Jack even the slightest bit, he would have known the sword was gone.

Another possibility is that he does know, and maybe he's depressed about it. It seems like he'd probably get really bored without a nemesis to constantly mess with.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Holy poo poo, Jack is bugshit insane. :stare:

Also, for the record, nearly 40k viewers and 1.7k chatters on the stream.

e: Another thing: one major difference now is Jack gives zero fucks. He doesn't bother with pleasantries at all now, just MURDER KILL DESTROY then move on to the next thing to murderize. Samurai Jack is basically Guts from Berserk now, and Aku is Griffith/Void.

Theory: The shadowy figure on the horse is the possible future where Jack succumbs to destructive nihilism and becomes a force of chaos worse than Aku. He's terrified of what he's becoming to the point of hallucinations. If he can't go back to the past nor die of old age, what else is there left but to slowly go mad from decay and entropy? What is there left to live for if he's denied his purpose in life?

e2: Jesus, the way Jack stares down people is totally different. Before, it was a quiet determination. Now, it's just screaming "I want to rip out your entrails and watch you drown in your own blood" levels of loathing. :stare:
Holy poo poo, they turned Samurai Jack into Icarium http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Icarium

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

this sounds like citation needed.

The bounty hunters, not the rock monster.
Well, Genndy was interviewed and that was one of the questions that came up; as far as he's concerned, either they weren't actually human or Jack didn't actually kill them.

quote:

One of the big developments here is the idea that Jack is facing flesh-and-blood people instead of robots, mutants, or aliens. Is this meant to be completely new ground for the series?

Yeah, it is. The whole conceit of the first series is that we couldn’t kill a human. He fought some, but he never killed them. He always had to find a way around it. When you’re fighting a machine that’s programmed, that has one singular goal and has no emotion, like we say in the show, “It’s just nuts and bolts, it doesn’t matter.” But when he faces something real, with feelings, that has a choice, he can’t just easily kill it.

Whenever this comes up, on Reddit or on comment boards, someone will bring up the bounty hunter episode and say, “He killed them, and they were definitely people!”

Some of those bounty hunters were definitely alien-like. But maybe they’re right! [Laughs] In my head, they were robots. I’d have to look at that episode again. I remember the episode, but I think they were mostly aliens. There were a couple of humans, but maybe they didn’t die.

Related to the episode, a linguistic tidbit:
Ashi (あし) is one of seven Kunyomi (Japanese) readings of Aku (悪/アク), the Onyomi (Chinese) reading for "Evil".
The other Kunyomi readings include Aa (ああ), Warui (わるい), Nikumu (にくむ), Izukuni (いずくに), Izukunzo (いずくんぞ), and Nikui (にくい).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's gonna turn out the Scatman was human but Jack just sees every opponent as a cold robit by this point.

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013
Where do i buy a digital downloadable copy of this?

The original Samurai Jack has never been released in my country to this day, and i've been unable to even import it due to region locks.

edit: was under the impression this was fully released for some reason, just gonna wait and hope.

Tingfinder fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 13, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So Genndy Tartakovsky really liked Mad Max Fury Road huh.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Tingfinder posted:

Where do i buy a digital downloadable copy of this?

The original Samurai Jack has never been released in my country to this day, and i've been unable to even import it due to region locks.

edit: was under the impression this was fully released for some reason, just gonna wait and hope.

iTunes has a season pass up, though I dunno if that'll do you any good.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's gonna turn out the Scatman was human but Jack just sees every opponent as a cold robit by this point.

I had that thought too. His death seemed different and drawn out enough for that to be the case.

Anyone remember if any of the robots in the first series had particularly stand out personalities or acknowledged their death in anyway beyond just exploding?

On another note: Here's something I noticed on a rewatch that I had missed: The vibration-explosion sword's effect get's magnified with each hit. That's why Scaramouch says "You're dead babe" when he and Jack engaged the second time, when the first just kinda popped to no effect, and the second was like a small bomb.

Probably obvious, but I missed it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Crain posted:

I had that thought too. His death seemed different and drawn out enough for that to be the case.

Anyone remember if any of the robots in the first series had particularly stand out personalities or acknowledged their death in anyway beyond just exploding?

X9 the (un-)retired assassin droid, for one.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
They took the Samurai Jack marathon off of the Adult Swim website. Why not Tim and Eric instead? :argh:

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I liked it.

The samurai on horseback that Jack sees in his fever-dream is definitely him if he continues down the dark path he has set for himself but it also looks a bit like Aku....

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Guy Mann posted:

So Genndy Tartakovsky really liked Mad Max Fury Road huh.
Jack on a motorcycle also reminds me of some of the scenes of mid-future Dexter and his vehicle in the Dexter's Lab movie, Ego Trip.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I don't know, I don't think the Horseman is Evil Jack. I absolutely agree that it's definitely Jack, but it's in possession of his magic sword. It leads me to believe that the Horseman is Jack Back. A Jack that has the means and determination to see his mission through.

Also, and I don't want to sound like an edgy apologist here, we're reminded twice in this episode that there is beauty in the future that is Aku. The innocent aliens at the beginning of the episode, and later Ashi admiring the world outside. Jack might well forced to answer the question if he can really undo the whole of time if he were to return and strike down Aku in his own time.

Last, I hadn't read any of The Dark Tower books when the series first started. But now that I have, the parallels really stand out to me. Far-Post Apocalypse, Wandering Stoic Warrior with Magic Weapon, Omnipresent but Nebulous Goal; it's all archetypal, monomyth stuff, but I really dig it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Granted, even if he does end up ensuring aliens & co. never come to Earth by killing Aku in his home time, it's still probably a net good, considering Aku likely enslaved or otherwise drove them off from their home worlds... Though I wouldn't be surprised if there is an episode where Jack finds some good extraterrestrials who would've been doomed to even worse death and destruction on their homeworlds if Aku hadn't (inadvertently, of course) intervened.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I don't know, I don't think the Horseman is Evil Jack. I absolutely agree that it's definitely Jack, but it's in possession of his magic sword. It leads me to believe that the Horseman is Jack Back.

Read this as Jack Black. Now I am disappointed this won't be the case.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This is what I'm thinking too.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jack was presumably fighting something in that scene where he lost his sword. If the hallucinatory figure isn't 'potential remorseless-monster Jack', it might be a representation of whatever he's scared to face to go get his sword back. Both scenes had a green tint to them.

Or, hell, it might be both. Jack physically fought a future Jack and lost the sword to the only person capable of disarming him: himself. That would be extra-painful for him, because he'd be tortured by the uncertainty of how to avoid that path.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm surprised no-one's connected these two dots. There's a horseman, and there's a Samurai named Jack. Who do we know is a bad dude? That's right Bojack Horseman.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Megaspel posted:

I'm surprised no-one's connected these two dots. There's a horseman, and there's a Samurai named Jack. Who do we know is a bad dude? That's right Bojack Horseman.

I suddenly understand everything.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Looking forward to Mr. Peanutbutter fighting a samurai in the dystopian future.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

There's a clear component of guilt - each hallucination was preceded by a shot of Jack riding away from the rising smoke of Scaramouche's destruction.

I don't know if it's Evil Jack, but it's def a part of his subconscious and losing his way.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I'm coming down on the side of the horseman being a vision of what Jack will become, but not evil. He was having visions of his parents berating him for turning away from his purpose, and the spectre of his future self was silently doing the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Last, I hadn't read any of The Dark Tower books when the series first started. But now that I have, the parallels really stand out to me. Far-Post Apocalypse, Wandering Stoic Warrior with Magic Weapon, Omnipresent but Nebulous Goal; it's all archetypal, monomyth stuff, but I really dig it.

You should check out frank miller's "Ronin".

• Locked thread