Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I remember, as a kid, always wanting it to end on a massive epic battle in the future, and when Aku is dead there, he travels the earth ridding it of evil and the taint of Aku, eventually he becomes the man in the guardians prophecy, then he travels back and defeats past Aku in a quick formality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Gynovore posted:

Now I want Scaramouche's head as an avatar, the blinking bewbs are getting old.

I dunno why I can't IMG this, its not showing up for whatever reason, but here you go:
http://gawaintheblind.com/graphics/images/imbackbaby_avatar.gif

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 22, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Das Boo posted:

I just figured Africans in Jack are depicted as a style of African art. They always reminded me of the artwork a friend who lived in Botswana had around her house, but damned if I know the name for it. Lots of elongated figures with exaggerated facial features either on pottery or carved from black stone (I think). Kinda like these, but full figure:

But I'm probably being way too optimistic. :(

They were a callback to when Jack trained in Africa. I can see more of the similarity between the African Sculptures and the old episode than in the reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE7ztEXvusE

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Pavlov posted:

It's odd, because there are other black people, in the same episode even, that don't look like minstrel show characters.

You know it's supposed to be "traditional African warrior" and not "minstrel show" right

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I enjoyed the ending. I knew it would be rushed as all hell, but I am greatly satisfied by the ending.

Though a little sad that Jack didn't get to live happily ever after...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He does though, just after 54 years of psychological and physical torture. The only woman he ever loved was an alien killing machine literally made out of unspeakable evil. He gets to retire as the Emperor of Japan and-

gently caress THEY NEVER TOLD US JACKS REAL NAME FUCKETY gently caress gently caress ME

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bust Rodd posted:

He does though, just after 54 years of psychological and physical torture. The only woman he ever loved was an alien killing machine literally made out of unspeakable evil. He gets to retire as the Emperor of Japan and-

gently caress THEY NEVER TOLD US JACKS REAL NAME FUCKETY gently caress gently caress ME

Ho Lee Fu Kin Shite, you're right!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I'm also a bit sad that Jack doesn't get the perfect happy ending, but I'm OK with that. What was really important to me was that Jack finally found peace after his years of struggle, and I'm glad he finally won it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I coulda done with less Ashi being the key mary sue with all the powers that let Jack get back to the past and then poof out a month later.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

So now that Samurai Jack is over what's next on the agenda for Genndy. Gonna try and shoehorn a pale girl with short hair into the next Hotel Transylvania

The main female character in Hotel Transylvania is a vampire girl with short hair, so that one is kinda covered

I don't have any examples offhand, but isn't the big eyes / big lips thing kind of a general style that he has with faces? Of course it's more of a bad look when he does it on black characters, 'cause racism and all.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 22, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

You know it's supposed to be "traditional African warrior" and not "minstrel show" right

I get what they were going for, it's just a particular caricature you have to be careful of getting too close to.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Why didn't they get a real time traveling Japanese guy to do Jack's voiceovers?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

I'm surprised at people being surprised that Jack would go back to the past to undo centuries of torment and suffering even at the cost of the people he saved. People ask "What's the point." And the point is that Jack isn't the kind of person who does good because "This ultimately leads to the end game." Jack doesn't care that every good thing he ever did was erased, doing good - for the sake of doing good - is the entire point. That's why even at the last portal, he didn't hesitate to throw himself into it. And you know what? If you think for a moment that anyone who showed up to save him was going "How dare he undo this horrible world and erase the me that currently exists." Then you're even more foolish. The goal from the start was to go back and stop Aku, even if you want to point to the thousands Jack had saved in the future, that is incomparable to the billions he would be saving by ending Aku before AKU perverted the timeline.

Yeah for real, everyone's like "how could he erase his friends" but there is like 1000+ years of history Jack missed while Aku was killing people and turning the planet into a dystopian wasteland. You gotta go back, back to the past. Plus Jack's not some HUGE NERD who's gonna worry about poo poo like split timeline theories or time paradoxes, of course he's gonna take the fastest route to killing the rear end in a top hat.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Pretty sure all the other Future People are fine with it too I mean they had 50 years of thinking "how the hell does our time physics work when that happens? mmmmmmmmmmmm kay that seems fair."

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The visuals and battles in the last two episodes were amazing but kind of a disappointing ending.
Oh well.

I think the first three or four episodes are all I'll recommend to others.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The finale was a wet fart. As I expected. At least Jack (and the audience)'s suffering is finally over.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Kinda weird it's over, honestly. Was a lot of fun watching the season. I wish it was longer, because it felt very rushed at the end.

I almost felt sorry for Aku! How exactly did that whole process kill him? He was sealed in the sword then he was released back on the fire tower and he exploded?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Servaetes posted:

I almost felt sorry for Aku! How exactly did that whole process kill him? He was sealed in the sword then he was released back on the fire tower and he exploded?

Presumably, that bit of him that Jack stabbed was already about to combust, just like Aku's body always does when slashed by Jack's sword. So Jack released him into his fortress of evil, and when that last bit of Aku exploded, the fortress ended up exploding along with him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

An alternate take on the ending.

To be honest, I might've settled for the ending as they told if if they'd at least finished with a flash-forward to the new future, showing the alternate, prosperous versions of the people Jack met in the Aku-future. Could've even had Aku's Daughters for ~reasons~, maybe have some ancient moss-covered statue of Old King Jack sitting around.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Kinda weird it's over, honestly. Was a lot of fun watching the season. I wish it was longer, because it felt very rushed at the end.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Dolash posted:

To be honest, I might've settled for the ending as they told if if they'd at least finished with a flash-forward to the new future, showing the alternate, prosperous versions of the people Jack met in the Aku-future. Could've even had Aku's Daughters for ~reasons~, maybe have some ancient moss-covered statue of Old King Jack sitting around.

Yeah, that would have worked.

It's not that I'm surprised Jack went back, and I think it would have let me down a little if he didn't. It's just that they spent so much time reminding us the viewers of what he had done in the future--right to the last second!--that it feels really weird that they just wave it away so quickly. Jack going back is the most morally sound thing and it's what he would do, without any hesitation. It's the Right Thing. But narratively speaking it feels bizarre to bring everyone in for a huge GameMasterJack party, remind us of all these characters, and then erase them as quickly as we were reminded of them. Jack needs to go back, but the narrative should have lingered.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The episode could have and should have ended with Jack and Ashi going back to the past, with an extra epilogue episode covering the final defeat of Aku, Ashi dissolving from the timeline, and Jack coming to terms with her non-existence (Plus some kind of resolution of what happened to the future without Aku).

I don't hate the ending, and I do like the final scene, but it was just so rushed that I can't help but think of all the ways it could have been stronger if they'd just had more time.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Dolash posted:

Yeah, if they had shown the alternate future instead of that dumb, rushed back to the future fridging bullshit, in a place we don't care about, that would've been a big step up.

Overall I really enjoyed the series, and I'm glad it was rebooted. I reduced my expectations a couple episodes back, so I wasn't distraught over the dumbness of the finale, but I still managed to enjoy myself despite the flaws, and there were some really great moments anyway.

It was pretty dumb to introduce a baby for Jack to eventually gently caress and then to arbitrarily die just to make Jack sad. The bit with the ladybug was pretty cool though, I'll give them that, life goes on and such. Would've much preferred more Jack and Scotsman banter than all the forced bad and rushed relationship stuff, in general I don't think we got many good Jack interactions with people from the original series, I think they were all just treated as cameos really, even the Scotsman wasn't that relevant.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Catching up on this thread, It is clear that the world did not deserve more Samurai Jack.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
Overall great season & loved the finale. You did it Jack, you got back to the past :unsmith:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I probably would've cracked up if they brought in will.i.am to do a slight variation for the end credits.

"Finally got back, back to the past, Samurai Jack"

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Dolash posted:

This would have been brilliant.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Potassium Problems posted:

Overall great season & loved the finale. You did it Jack, you got back to the past :unsmith:

This but I wish Ashi had just continued existing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

This but I wish Ashi had just continued existing.

I was really expecting to see some Scotsman sword happening. Him being dead and countering Aku with bagpipes was a lot better though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Is Jack still ageless? They could have done a flash forward where he lives long enough to see a future without Aku. The future that is Jack!

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
honestly, they needed a whole episode to deal with him living in the past and dealing with ashi's erasure. would've beefed up the ending and made it more meaningful.

but the current ending is ok

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dolash posted:

Perhaps this is how it always has been, but I noticed a lot of people have trouble accepting a sad or bittersweet ending in general. I mean, it makes logical sense and I definitely noticed it way, way before this series' finale, but I do find it odd how people sometimes make up a happy ending in their head or try to deny a sad ending. The internet only made it more obvious people do this. I don't know, just felt like pointing it out.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Covok posted:

Perhaps this is how it always has been, but I noticed a lot of people have trouble accepting a sad or bittersweet ending in general. I mean, it makes logical sense and I definitely noticed it way, way before this series' finale, but I do find it odd how people sometimes make up a happy ending in their head or try to deny a sad ending. The internet only made it more obvious people do this. I don't know, just felt like pointing it out.

I mean...life's already plenty messed up, regardless of whether or not our favorite Samurai epic had a happy ending. That's why we call our media "entertainment" and not "education". The last thing we want to be reminded of is the fact that even our greatest accomplishments will often be undercut in some way or another.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Annointed posted:

Unlike the Gurren Lagann ending which was hypocritical in its message of "do the impossible" into "do the impossible, wait making Niia live past her connection to the Anti Spirals? Nah that's just impossible" which was bullshit and a cheap emotional shot.

Making Nia live wasn't impossible, it was irresponsible. When Gimmy asks Simon about doing it Simon's response isn't that they can't, but that they shouldn't. Nia didn't want to extend her life unnaturally either, and there's a pretty obvious reason why she wouldn't want to: her dad. Extending his life unnaturally caused him to remain in an almost infinite funk until Simon arrived, and limited the entire planet under his rule. In other words, the drill stopped turning and it stopped the people that would normally come after him from advancing because he kept enforcing his view. Neither Nia or Simon wanted that, so while they could resurrect Nia as a human again once she died, they chose not to. We've probably even seen that it's possible before, because Kamina seems to bring himself back from death to save Simon before dying again against Thymilph. The life signs go out in his cockpit and he lays still, suggesting death. Until Simon can't go on and he stirs enough to help him.

Annointed posted:

Let me make it more terrible for you. Most of the main cast get shafted hard. Yoko doesn't even get her face shown on the ending and implies she dies alone and sad. Simon despite being younger than Yoko somehow is reduced to a 40 year old hobo. Rosseu gets to be president of the drat universe. Yeah way to make things positive about making things better for the future generations by implying that doing so will gently caress you and everyone you love over by either killing him, leaving them worse for wear or only having a few people have anything resembling an optimistic future.

Yoko got over Kamina and found happiness as a teacher, so I'm pretty sure she'll get over Kittan and will find happiness as a teacher again regardless. Simon also always wanted to be a nobody who drilled. Which is what he was after another timeskip to account for his age, or do you think the new architecture and space ports and stuff just sprang up over night? Being a nameless guy who drilled is what he wanted in the beginning of the show, what he tried to become at the beginning of the timeskip by handing off power to Rossiu since he had no interest or skill at administration and becoming a nobody was his reward in the end, not his punishment. Kamina is the one that keeps pushing him to be greater and to take center stage. He does when it's necessary, but he always wanted to be in the background and just live a simple life, which he got in the end. He was even happy to go to jail despite Rossiu's betrayal because he was out of the limelight there. I really don't see anything sad in the finale beyond Nia dying.

I have the opposite reaction to you on both Gurren Lagann and Samurai Jack by the looks of things: I liked Gurren Lagann's ending, because it was built up properly and felt earned. I was invested in Simon and Nia's relationship, which wasn't great, but had half the show behind it and it was Simon's driving goal for a third or so of the show. I don't like Samurai Jack's because I don't care about Ashi. I like her in concept, but I like her as a broken and hosed up stooge of a weird cult who breaks out of them because of Jack, not as the normal girl with no problems or plot of her own she became after episode 5 and I feel no investment in her and Jack's relationship because it just came and went too fast. Jack declaring he loves her is a big fat nothing, aside from the Scotsman's joke that he doesn't think she's Jacks type at least and when she died in the wedding dress I just laughed, because that was the only reaction that felt appropriate given how little build up the whole thing had.

I think it also helps that Nia and Simon had their wedding and both knew what was coming and were okay with it, but took what happiness they could before the inevitable. As opposed to Ashi just suddenly realizing the implications of time travel and instantly poofing out of existence.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Covok posted:

An unhappy ending is fine, but not all bittersweet outcomes are satisfying. For example, if Jack had sacrificed himself to defeat Aku in the future as a conscious choice to save his friends and Ashi rather than go back to his own time, that would be more satisfying as a culmination of an arc that demonstrated some growth from Jack where he'd changed, even if they don't get to live together afterward. Similarly, if Jack's friends in the future all died rescuing him and Ashi consciously sacrificed herself sending Jack back, that would also be a bittersweet ending where Jack honors their collective sacrifice by defeating Aku.

Part of the problem with this ending is that it isn't actually all that bitter at all. Jack loses Ashi, but her whole existence and his attachment to her always ran contrary to his mission, and since he never ended up questioning his mission losing her was always supposed to be part of the price - if anything it was unfair that he got to briefly believe they could be together before she paradox'd out. No weight is put on the loss of his friends and the circumstances he loses Ashi over are contrived ("Oh poo poo, I shouldn't exi-"), and ultimately he decides he's over it and resumes his life as he'd always intended to.

The whole Ashi drama and everything he experienced in the future have left very little lasting impression on Jack. While it's usually the journey that matters rather than the destination part of what makes that journey matter is how they changed along the way, regardless of whether they're happy or sad.

Edit: You could show someone the first episode and then the last episode, starting from the point Jack returns to the past, and the whole thing would probably hang together fine. You could work out everything you need about Ashi from context, and otherwise Jack is the same as he was when he went through.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I wonder how much time passed in universe between the first episode of this season and the finale. Jack spends a lot of time in the cave early on and a few days meditating for his sword, but other than that I can't think of any indicators of how much time passes.

Null Profusion
Dec 30, 2008

by R. Guyovich
This ending was beyond disappointing, not just for reasons of the rushed and needless romance, or the poor writing, or the 2 second cameos or the time paradoxes or the nonsensical resolution but because it feels like a betrayal of what Samurai Jack, as a whole series was about.

The original four seasons of Samurai Jack, more than nearly any other show that comes to mind, were about the journey, rather than the destination. They were methodically paced, took their time, lingered on the details, reveled in visual and auditory sensuality and although they featured some character development (Aku becoming steadily more comical, Jack learning to jump good or about the divine origins of his sword) at the end of the day, the episodes were just discrete slices of the action that could have been watched and enjoyed in any order as beautiful little vignettes of amazing animatio, artwork and composition that follow a predictable pattern and resolve with Aku still a unassailable force of nature, distant and threatening, but impossible to catch.

As much as I disliked the romance plotline, bringing in Ashi and then transforming her into Akushi opened up so much potential for an amazing final sequence. When Jack jumped back to the past, I expected future Aku to be right behind him. I wanted to see an amazing, visually striking final showdown with multiple Akus from different points in time assaulting Jack and Ashi as they time-dodge into different points in the fight. Contrast between the alternating chiaroscuro of the time portals and bright spatters of blood or flame or the green of Aku's face. Have future dogs or the scotsman rip timeportals of their own and join the confusing fray. Have it all end with time ripped to shreds and all characters individually making the choice to return to the past to age and die or to a future of uncertain existence. Have Jack torn between family and duty or his newfound love. Have Jack have to destroy the sword, the last artifact of unimpeachable divine good known to exist in order to finally banish cosmic evil, leaving only the moral grey of our own decisions. gently caress do ANYTHING but have Ashi be rescued by the power of love only to immediately get fridged.

It could have been so, so much better, all the pieces were there, so many loose ends that could have come together beautifully, something that really would have been a remarkable piece of animation, especially with the minimalist storytelling of the earliest episodes, but instead some combination of CN, Genndy, and the writers gave up on this season after blowing their imaginative loads on the fight against the sisters in the dark or and the wandering wounded wolf (who would never matter again.)

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Covok posted:

I see it as some people built up their idea of a perfect end to the series in their head and instead of judging the episode/series on its merits, they're whining that it didn't match their fan-fiction

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There was too much dialogue in general - Jack is best when it doesn't explain obvious things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Potassium Problems posted:

I see it as some people built up their idea of a perfect end to the series in their head and instead of judging the episode/series on its merits, they're whining that it didn't match their fan-fiction

If anything it's the other way around, at least in this case. The ending was so unsatisfying, it's only natural to try to imagine something better. (Null Profusion's idea of a running time travel battle, for instance, is rad as hell.)

• Locked thread