Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Absolutely phenomenal stuff, I'm still in awe.

Yeah I rewatched it with a friend and holy poo poo it's so well done

Jack watching the light from the firefly go out when he's hiding in the grave... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He didn't seem that broken up about having killed that assassin. At least not based on the preview for next week.

Aku :neckbeard:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I love the contrast between the first and second episode in the way that Jack looks at his situation. The first episode had Jack with a gaze that meant, "I will loving destroy you, just like I've destroyed everything else before me, gently caress you." This time? It reminds me of the look Jack had in earlier seasons when he was fighting overwhelming odds, that panic, that desperation. Only this time, there's no sword to fall back on.

I love how desperate the entire encounter was, with weapons failing him left right and center. Really makes you appreciate the magic sword he had, how many encounters he was able to overcome due to the resilient nature of the thing. Jack's got his work cut out for him.

And holy gently caress, I knew that there was going to be blood in this show, but the cut across the throat was positively shocking in all the right ways.

That, and the show being one word away from stating suicide as an option. Hardcore.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He didn't seem that broken up about having killed that assassin. At least not based on the preview for next week.

Aku :neckbeard:

I think his shock was the logic that defeated his inner demons voicing the wish to accept fate and embrace death was that his foes were only robots. That, and these living people are some of the best trained warriors Jack has ever encountered to date. The only people I can think of to come close to this level of a chase would be the man-catchers (the Imoncandi) who looked like lion people, who actually managed to defeat him.

There's an interesting parallel of the children of Aku to Jack's own training. Jack went around the world from his early years with a symbol of his clan and received training to defeat the ultimate evil when it would return. The children of Aku were born with the express purpose of defeating Jack, who trained so that they could restore the symbol of evil as a true presence in the world again. It's fantastic.

Edit: ALSO! Aku states that all the time portals have been destroyed. Does this include the one that the guardian was watching over? You know, that blue dude with the red glasses that Jack couldn't overcome. The portal itself offered an image of Jack with a crown and a cloak with the sword, so...who knows?

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 19, 2017

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Ecstasy of Gold / 10

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dean of Swing posted:

Ecstasy of Gold / 10

It was a weird fusion of Ecstasy of Gold and that one song from 28 Days Later that every trailer uses and it was awesome :black101:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That was loving intense, god drat

This episode was so loving good, holy poo poo. I don't think I blinked the entire last half of it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I can't believe that was less than a half hour.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
I'm just blown away about how good this has turned out so far. The design and direction quality from the original seasons (but even quite a bit better now), paired with what was missing from the original set - continuity and dilemma. The quality of the soundtrack is also really excellent; this is, in my view, exceeding the hype pretty considerably.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr.Tophat posted:

I think his shock was the logic that defeated his inner demons voicing the wish to accept fate and embrace death was that his foes were only robots. That, and these living people are some of the best trained warriors Jack has ever encountered to date. The only people I can think of to come close to this level of a chase would be the man-catchers (the Imoncandi) who looked like lion people, who actually managed to defeat him.

There's an interesting parallel of the children of Aku to Jack's own training. Jack went around the world from his early years with a symbol of his clan and received training to defeat the ultimate evil when it would return. The children of Aku were born with the express purpose of defeating Jack, who trained so that they could restore the symbol of evil as a true presence in the world again. It's fantastic.

Edit: ALSO! Aku states that all the time portals have been destroyed. Does this include the one that the guardian was watching over? You know, that blue dude with the red glasses that Jack couldn't overcome. The portal itself offered an image of Jack with a crown and a cloak with the sword, so...who knows?

Appearntly the Guardian will be addressed.

Jack's most dangerous enemies were probably the Imoncandi as you mentioned. Demongo the Soul Collector, the demon that served Aku that could summon the souls of all he had slain to fight for him. And the Minions of Set, the quasi divine creatures that Jack had no way to beat. (They were faster then him, stronger then him, his magic sword did not work on them as they regenerated and there were three of them.) and had to rely on an ancient prophecy that made it so that a god intervened on his behalf and destroyed them for him.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm a dummy and wasn't sure what was going on with the fading firefly. How'd it let him know they were close?

Also, I actually gasped at that neck slice. Jesus

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CuddlyZombie posted:

Same. I said seconds before, 'Is Jack going to kill one of them?' drat. drat. i kept pausing the episode and yelling when I saw how little was left. gently caress that was good.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Jack's most dangerous enemies were probably the Imoncandi as you mentioned. Demongo the Soul Collector, the demon that served Aku that could summon the souls of all he had slain to fight for him. And the Minions of Set, the quasi divine creatures that Jack had no way to beat. (They were faster then him, stronger then him, his magic sword did not work on them as they regenerated and there were three of them.) and had to rely on an ancient prophecy that made it so that a god intervened on his behalf and destroyed them for him.

The Sirens also got Jack Brent Worthington.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed whose piano made a cameo for the tomb scene.

I think Jack's "Aw, poo poo" response seemed appropriate. He's been killing robots all this time, but he never really had a code of honor or anything that stated he couldn't kill flesh and blood. So it's mostly just a bummer that now he finally has.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm a dummy and wasn't sure what was going on with the fading firefly. How'd it let him know they were close?

The fireflies lit up around the presence of life, like when the Daughters were walking through the corridors of the temple and in the burial chamber around the roots of the trees. The tombs had cracks in their lids, so the Daughters likely saw the light and figured out his hiding spot.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
I loved the homage from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in this episode.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think we've seen most of the stuff from the original trailers by now. I feel like this show could go just about anywhere by this point.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
God drat, the action in that episode was amazing. And someone actually died on Samurai Jack.

It's a little hard to believe that in 50 years not one living person went after Jack, but either way I like the episode acting like that's the case since from the audience's point of view that's exactly what happened.

Annointed posted:

Yeah I'm convinced this group is a credible threat to Jack. It'd be kind of messed up if Jack kills them in increasingly raw and brutal ways in his descent to madness.

Before I saw the preview I thought Jack had just buried them all alive with Scaramouche's dagger, but that would've been pretty anticlimactic.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
That was phenomenal.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

God drat, the action in that episode was amazing. And someone actually died on Samurai Jack.

It's a little hard to believe that in 50 years not one living person went after Jack, but either way I like the episode acting like that's the case since from the audience's point of view that's exactly what happened.

Before I saw the preview I thought Jack had just buried them all alive with Scaramouche's dagger, but that would've been pretty anticlimactic.

Nah
Plenty of humans went after jack. The bounty hunter and his sorta maybe ex wife come to mind.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
If you want to continue the Dark Souls vibes, this episode was basically "Crazy skill escape. 1vs 7 invaders !!".

CuddlyZombie posted:

It let them know where he was because the Daughters of Aku were obviously going to focus on the one slightly glowing tomb.

I thought it was a pretty nice visual metaphor though, the firefly light fading just as Jack's life would have been extinguished.

Also lol at the evil scientists.
"This guy has been wrecking armies of our beetlebots without breaking a sweat. What are we gonna do?"
-- "Okay I'm gonna go a bit crazy here, but hear me out. GIANT BEETLE."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I really liked all the visual homages in this episode.

Silence of the Lambs, The Fugitive, and I really expected a MASH reference with the firefly. Where Hawkeye Jack was going to have to kill the chickenbaby firefly to not get found.

But he ended up getting found anyway so w/e.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Judging from when and how it appeared (showing him the way to safety), I guess this episode is more evidence to suggest that the green samurai apparition is the bit of him that didn't give up hope, or the like.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Elite posted:

If you want to continue the Dark Souls vibes, this episode was basically "Crazy skill escape. 1vs 7 invaders !!".

Jack literally ran for the fog door.

The other daughters didn't see the fate of their sister before the place collapsed, wonder if they are going to spend the next episode unburying everyone and discover that.

Preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZMXHkX-fnE

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 19, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Elite posted:

Also lol at the evil scientists.
"This guy has been wrecking armies of our beetlebots without breaking a sweat. What are we gonna do?"
-- "Okay I'm gonna go a bit crazy here, but hear me out. GIANT BEETLE."

I enjoyed how even Aku was like, "Yeah, okay, whatever you stupid fucks. Not like you've been doing this for fifty years now or anything."

Speaking of which, those are the same scientists from the X-9 episode. How'd they become immortal too?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 19, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Science
Obv

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Welp, it only took two episodes. Jack took his shirt off, so everyone take a shot.

Yes.
http://i.imgur.com/lvtdclx.gifv
One can hope.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It was a literal Grave of the Fireflies.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, this episode dispelled any fears that there wouldn't be very much of the old episodes' comedy, at least. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Welp, it only took two episodes. Jack took his shirt off, so everyone take a shot.

Yes.
http://i.imgur.com/lvtdclx.gifv
One can hope.

I like to imagine this as 'Mako (but with a Yiddish accent, for some reason)' so it's not as jarring.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Edit: ALSO! Aku states that all the time portals have been destroyed.
If all the portals and ways of time travel on Earth have been destroyed (in theory), why doesn't Jack go to another world to look for one there? In fact, why doesn't Aku use his magic to send Jack to the other end of the Universe?

MonsterEnvy posted:

There were also those 8 machine assassins that Jack could not cut without the help of the machines' creator. In fact, the Daughters of Aku sort of remind me of those machines.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The crypt scene only lasted about 2 minutes, but it felt so much longer. Easily my favorite moment of Season 5 so far, second being the battle with Scaramouch.

Jack contemplating suicide and generally feeling hopeless was upsetting, but I found myself feeling the worst for the dead Daughter of Aku. Poor girl was denied a proper, healthy childhood and died following the orders of her mother/cult leader. :(

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I was kind of hoping Aku would get a new design. I swear the original Season 5 teaser image made him look like he'd be very different looking. Either way, that crypt scene was so drat intense, and the music was phenomenal.

I'm kind of hoping the Daughters nearly kill Jack in the next episode, only for The Scotsman to burst in to save the day with his new minigun leg.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
While Jack is burdened by the heavy responsibility of taking a human life, Scotsman likely gives zero fucks about it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When I finished the episode, I had a weird buzzy high from animation giddiness.
So when can I get this on Blu-ray yesterday?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The Scotsman is definitely dead or close to it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Somberbrero posted:

The Scotsman is definitely dead or close to it.

He's in one of the promos with a minigun leg and gray hair.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Dean of Swing posted:

Ecstasy of Gold / 10

Yes, that piano riff starting made my ears tingle with delight. I also love the tomb having that circular design like in The Good The Bad and the Ugly.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

He's in one of the promos with a minigun leg and gray hair.

And what looks like a wheelchair with a gun attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

nerdman42 posted:

I think we've seen most of the stuff from the original trailers by now. I feel like this show could go just about anywhere by this point.

It seems like the episode 3 will finish burning through everything we've seen in the trailers, with Jack's verbal sparring with the Daughters.

• Locked thread