Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm surprised no-one's connected these two dots. There's a horseman, and there's a Samurai named Jack. Who do we know is a bad dude? That's right Bojack Horseman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

It doesn't have to be grimdark, maybe he just chooses not to go back in time because doing so would genocide this version of the future, which has all his friends he met along the way. The moral is that the time portal to the past is the friends you made along the way.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

My gut tells me that the Scotsman will help Jack get back his will to live like he did snapping Jack out of the Sirens' control.

How old would the Scotsman be though? At least his 70's, though more likely his 90's, and it's not like you have an amazing chance of long life as a rebel against an ancient evil who controls the world.

EDIT: never mind, forgot he was confirmed a while ago with the wheelchair thing.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Better theory:

Jack will enlist the aid of Johnny Bravo, his long time pal from Cartoon Network interstitials. Aku will turn into a woman, like in that one episode where he turns into a woman to gently caress with Jack for no reason, and marry Johnny Bravo and everyone will live happily every after.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Aku will become so fearful of Jack that he'll work to make the world a peaceful utopia for all in hopes that it may curry enough favour for the samurai to spare him.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Yeah I think the main thing about Ashi is that she's going to pose a moral quandary to Jack that he has not yet passed. She is a victim of Aku just as much as anyone else, and pitting her against Jack is an extension of that.

I don't care about Ashi, I care about Jack.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I think Samurai Jack, in general, is a male power fantasy. That in itself isn't a bad thing, but the bad thing is the larger problem of over-saturation of male power fantasies with a lack of alternatives for other audiences. Not to say that Samurai Jack itself is the perfect piece of media, but I don't think it's guilty of anything too egregious, but then again I'm a dude and I love the power fantasy it's created for me, so maybe I'm blind to that.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

raditts posted:

Can we have this one thing where we don't grasp at straws for reasons to consider it "problematic"

Can we just come together and root for him to get back, back to the past, sa-moo-rye jack

I mean ignoring these problems just perpetuates them, and no one here is saying you can't watch it or enjoy it. There's an issue where people see the word "problematic" and assume they mean "this piece of media is the worst thing ever in the world and has no redeeming qualities, this media might have well been invented by Adolf J Hitlerino". We're just discussing this piece of media we like, all media has problems to different degrees and it shouldn't make you uncomfortable to talk about them.

Again, nobody is calling the TV cartoon show Samurai Jack, 'the devil', actually it's very good, that's why we like to talk about it.

Anyway my new theory for the ending is that Samurai Jack marries Aku and they have twenty three children.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

mycot posted:

Normally I don't like shooting down discussion in threads (and threads that are just "this thing was cool/how cool was that thing" are bad), but those criticisms are legit terrible. Not every woman bleeding has to be a period metaphor.

TVIV doesn't deserve Samurai Jack.

I think it's fine to talk about specific criticism not being valid, but I think it's kinda lovely to ask people not to discuss anything critical. You don't have to shoot down the discussion to disagree with someone, I think it's easier and better for everyone if you just focus on countering the thing you don't agree with sensibly.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

I think it's an acceptable response when one encounters an absurd argument/criticism to state, "that is absurd and divorced from reality you utter goon."

Absolutely, I was more referring to the thing earlier, 'Can we have this one thing where we don't grasp at straws for reasons to consider it "problematic" ' from the other person.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

raditts posted:

So tell me, how did you read the words "grasping at straws" and translate that to "no criticisms allowed"
I just want to be able to read this thread without having to skip pages of insane death of the author bullshit
Your response seemed like the stereotypical knee-jerk response of "please sjws do not ruin my favourite tv show by talking about it". Probably by your sarcastic use of 'problematic', which implied you get frustrated at people discussing things that are 'problematic'. Hope this helps.

mandatory lesbian posted:

jacks gonna get his sword back cause that'd be cool

I wouldn't be surprised if the real magic was inside him all along or something. I think if he gets his sword back it has to represent a relatable struggle most likely, and I think him losing his sword is sort of a metaphor for losing his youth possibly? It's quite interesting because, with the closed miniseries format and the audience age bump, the ending might actually not fit into any of the tropes we usually see in cartoons. Whatever it is will probably be a reflection on how Genndy sees the world, so it'll be fun to see if he has a depressing outlook or an optimistic one; though I certainly don't want him to force a happy or bittersweet ending if that's not his actual outlook.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 29, 2017

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

raditts posted:

I hope you appreciate the irony in having a knee-jerk response to what you perceived as a knee-jerk response.

Ah the old "I know you are but what am I?". Just move on my man.

This is very good.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

So,yeah,I'm kinda backing out of this thread for now. If I want to be lectured, I'd give my mother a call.

No one's lecturing you, no one's even responded to you. You can talk about things you like while we talk about things we want to talk about you big pansy.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I need to rewatch all the originals before the finale comes out. I don't think I've seen them since they were on Cartoon Network, and I've probably missed a fair few of them. Making my way through now.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Jack's real name is Bob. Bob Burgers.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

I think it's a reference to the cartoon Bob's Burgers.

No, you're both wrong, it's a reference to this online webcomic on the internet.

(Actually I couldn't think of any other name besides bob burgers because I was thinking of Teddy thinking Bob's surname was burgers)

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 7, 2017

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I don't think anyone was super offended by the outfits, but a couple goons certainly lost their poo poo at the idea that anyone would want to discuss them and their possible implications in the larger context of media.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

mycot posted:

Jack is just completely resigned to being batshit insane.

I think any sort of immortality will do that to you.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Bear in the Woods posted:

Truly the most evil of plugs

Ever step on one of those motherfuckers? Worse than standing on an ancient horned manifestation of all that is evil.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

I've got a dumb question that I never thought of until now. How does Jack know that any old time portal will send him back to the time he wants? Like I assume the initial time portal that Aku sent him to was just "Well gently caress gotta get this guy out of here. Here's a time portal. Who cares where it goes!"

At that point he was super desperate, I don't know if he realized he was unaffected by time yet but I'm sure his thoughts are he's taking the path with the most chance of getting him back. Plus I don't think there were many time portals open back in Jack's original time, so at the very least he'll be able to go back to a time where there were more time portals.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I can see most of the criticisms, agreeing with them, but I don't really think they're that bad. The battle against the throw-away army was fine, I don't know what else you'd want from that, and I liked the pacing and contrast between that over-the-top ridiculous energy with Jack's terrible tea making, got a big laugh when I that dude said it was terrible; I wonder if Jack actually does need his angry self at all, like it said, obviously not letting it consume him but surely he'll need the angry red dude in a small, balanced capacity.

Overall it's all really enjoyable to me and it may not be perfect, but it's still a drat good top tier show for me.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I don't know why you wouldn't just put it in quote tags rather than try to convince everyone you're an idiot.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I actually enjoyed this last episode, not because it was good, but because I was laughing at how bizarrely out of left-field and stupid it was. Maybe if I had more investment in the series I'd have been annoyed, but it was just so drat stupid and ridiculously cheesy. Not saying it was a good episode at all, but it was certainly unbelievable.

Also perhaps the ultimate "good" ending, that hasn't been brought up I don't think yet, could be that Jack doesn't return to the past, instead he rescues his friends and family from there and brings them to the future where Aku's evil has lost.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Honestly I doubt the last two episodes could be that bad. At the very least we'll see Scotsman again, and I'm hoping we see full-on Aku tear some poo poo up and make some whacky jokes.

I hope Ashii isn't used as a damsel in distress, or like as leverage and Jack has to choose between sacrificing her and killing Aku or something. I'm thinking of a few different possibilities for the ending and they're all bad, so I just hope they have better writers than me.

Sjs00 posted:

You are posting in TVIV. There is nothing more to invest.

I'm trying to avoid thinking about my emotional bankruptcy.

RareAcumen posted:

I wanna bring us back to the episode people are being a half-step too dramatic about how bad it is to ask a controversial question.

Everyone keeps saying Ashi's like 18 or something, are you guys being literal or no? Because I always thought there was some weird advanced aging going on since I assumed magic was involved to get seven- or is it eight?- of them in the first place.

She's born way past the point where Jack is a fully grown man trying to beat up Aku, and Jack is now like at least 70, but it's okay because he's still hot? It's just really dumb and stupid. She was invented to give Jack someone to gently caress basically.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I mean

Okay dude, sure. That's fair but really not what I was trying to ask about at all? I'm asking what specifically makes everyone say 18 years old and not why they made her to begin with.

Ah right, yeah, I don't know what makes people say 18 specifically, but it's good shorthand to emphasize the age difference. It doesn't matter if she's 18 or 25, it's still pretty weird, maybe if she was 40 or something it'd be less weird, once she's actually experienced the world and isn't recovering from a terrible gaslit upbringing. I don't think they've been magically aged, although that would make it more hosed up, but Jack has been in the future for at least 50 years, which is plenty of room to fit in raising the children, non-linear storytelling and all that. Magical ageing didn't enter into my mind in that scene, I just assumed flashbacks.

I agree the time jumping around makes the show pretty confusing. Like they shoehorned the Ashii and Jack relationship into a really short amount of actual real time, but it could very well have been years in universe. It does seem like Ashii is a lot more comfortable and confident in the new world she's experiencing now, but the pacing seems to be all screwed up.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This sums up the last week of posts.

http://i.imgur.com/9gnX4aW.gifv

I love the people who edit Samurai Jack.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Dolash posted:

An alternate take on the ending.

To be honest, I might've settled for the ending as they told if if they'd at least finished with a flash-forward to the new future, showing the alternate, prosperous versions of the people Jack met in the Aku-future. Could've even had Aku's Daughters for ~reasons~, maybe have some ancient moss-covered statue of Old King Jack sitting around.

Yeah, if they had shown the alternate future instead of that dumb, rushed back to the future fridging bullshit, in a place we don't care about, that would've been a big step up.

Overall I really enjoyed the series, and I'm glad it was rebooted. I reduced my expectations a couple episodes back, so I wasn't distraught over the dumbness of the finale, but I still managed to enjoy myself despite the flaws, and there were some really great moments anyway.

It was pretty dumb to introduce a baby for Jack to eventually gently caress and then to arbitrarily die just to make Jack sad. The bit with the ladybug was pretty cool though, I'll give them that, life goes on and such. Would've much preferred more Jack and Scotsman banter than all the forced bad and rushed relationship stuff, in general I don't think we got many good Jack interactions with people from the original series, I think they were all just treated as cameos really, even the Scotsman wasn't that relevant.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Nina posted:

I like the ending but there's already so much time paradox going on I'm surprised they went the Back to the Future route. You could argue killing Aku in the past undoes being able to kill Aku since with Ashi never existing nobody can send Jack back to the past

Yeah it was pretty dumb. Time travel science pretty much just "a wizard did it" levels of deus ex machina. I really like how Looper did it, where time was more like a living, messy, organism, instead of badly thought-out maths. They didn't even have to do the dumb back to the future thing, they could've just said that Ashii dies because the only thing that was ever keeping her alive was Akuu's magic.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

The Guardian fakeout still aggravates me.

What was the fakeout? I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

whats breaking bad

It's basically like the first three episodes of this season.

• Locked thread