Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
One of the greatest fights in this show was between Jack and the ninja. I still return to it from time to time.

Crazy that we're going to get more of it. Looking forward to discussing the new episodes with you guys.

Currently on the streaming is the expert bounty hunters from different regions of the world who collaborate and argue about who will do what in the grand plan. The ending is fantastic, it really cements how much progress Jack has made since the beginning of his quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Absolutely phenomenal stuff, I'm still in awe.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I love the contrast between the first and second episode in the way that Jack looks at his situation. The first episode had Jack with a gaze that meant, "I will loving destroy you, just like I've destroyed everything else before me, gently caress you." This time? It reminds me of the look Jack had in earlier seasons when he was fighting overwhelming odds, that panic, that desperation. Only this time, there's no sword to fall back on.

I love how desperate the entire encounter was, with weapons failing him left right and center. Really makes you appreciate the magic sword he had, how many encounters he was able to overcome due to the resilient nature of the thing. Jack's got his work cut out for him.

And holy gently caress, I knew that there was going to be blood in this show, but the cut across the throat was positively shocking in all the right ways.

That, and the show being one word away from stating suicide as an option. Hardcore.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He didn't seem that broken up about having killed that assassin. At least not based on the preview for next week.

Aku :neckbeard:

I think his shock was the logic that defeated his inner demons voicing the wish to accept fate and embrace death was that his foes were only robots. That, and these living people are some of the best trained warriors Jack has ever encountered to date. The only people I can think of to come close to this level of a chase would be the man-catchers (the Imoncandi) who looked like lion people, who actually managed to defeat him.

There's an interesting parallel of the children of Aku to Jack's own training. Jack went around the world from his early years with a symbol of his clan and received training to defeat the ultimate evil when it would return. The children of Aku were born with the express purpose of defeating Jack, who trained so that they could restore the symbol of evil as a true presence in the world again. It's fantastic.

Edit: ALSO! Aku states that all the time portals have been destroyed. Does this include the one that the guardian was watching over? You know, that blue dude with the red glasses that Jack couldn't overcome. The portal itself offered an image of Jack with a crown and a cloak with the sword, so...who knows?

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 19, 2017

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Anyone else notice how the roles were reversed in a way? Usually, the big bad villain delivers a speech about the approaching heroes' fate should they proceed with their plan, which is usually cut short by the hero decrying their message and defiantly moving forward. This time, it was the hero who stated how the situation would go down, and what the ensuing combat would mean. I loved it!

Agreeing with everyone who's been saying that this show is art. It's staggering, it truly is.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Anyone who thinks that Ashi will become a love interest is idiotic.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it bears mentioning that while Ashi is probably a broke-brains killing machine... so is Jack. He also never got to grow up and have girl/boyfriends or anything. He has no experience of love post Aku, and the idea that 50+ years of sleeping by himself on rocks and pine needles falls by the wayside for someone who probably even smells like Aku is nuts, to me at least.

Jack is not broke brains, or at least, he wasn't before the newest season. The only real thing you could say was a negative to Jack's personality was his naivety. Jack had a childhood. He had good memories. He knows how to tell children's stories for instance. He looks after babies. He is merciful and compassionate. He's a good guy. A good guy who has been put into an extremely demanding position for the last fifty years, and we as an audience can see that it's having an effect. Jack was not broken to begin with.

He cares more about duty, honour and integrity than having a love life jesus christ. He's a foolish samurai warrior who used to wield a magic sword and stepped forth to oppose Aku, not a SAM-MOO-RAI looking for the chef's special.

Regalingualius posted:

Quoting for reference just in case. :v:

(Really, though, I wouldn't want romance between them, but I could see a mutual respect developing by the time of the finale).

Same. Mutual respect, cool. Romance? Hell no. Unless it's epilogue stuff, and even that's borderline fanfiction material.

People don't watch Samurai Jack for romance, they watch it to see Jack slash and hack and jump good. It's like watching Dragonball Z for peaceful solutions to problems.

I am predicting that the Scotsman might have a good influence on Ashi if they end up meeting one another. Slapping her on the back, giving her some basic knowledge and sense of what normal is. If Ashi needs to get her poo poo together, the Scotsman might be able to accommodate while Jack does some other junk. Like find the sword again!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I think the skin-suits were sexualized in the way that Paul Dini's characters were sexualized -- they're not that objectionable until you start thinking about why the animator chose to portray them this way and realize that's his ideal / fetish / only female body type he can draw. If I were an apologist, I'd probably point out that Samurai Jack's visuals is so stylized that it shouldn't matter. But the show is practically devoid of female characters (did Jack's mother even have a line in the flashback?) and that it's unacceptable not to call out the failures of the auteur.

If you read these first episodes as being about a virile, perpetually young man conquering agency-less femininity with his wilderness ruggedness and individualism, you wouldn't be wrong. And what's the weapon he uses to do this? He wears no clothes and throws spears to make unloved women bleed. That's weird.

What the gently caress is this post, I can't tell if this is a joke or if you're that broken, either way, well done?

raditts posted:

Can we have this one thing where we don't grasp at straws for reasons to consider it "problematic"

Can we just come together and root for him to get back, back to the past, sa-moo-rye jack

Yeah this.

What's going to be strange to me in the future is when the Scotsman turns up, and both Jack and the Scotsman start opening fire and bellowing madly.

Bonus fun ending to the new season of samurai jack: Ashi meets the Scotsman's wife and in an inspired moment of cunning states that Aku often spoke of the wife's fat nature. Queue Aku being smashed over the head for all time to the words, "I AM NOT FAT, I'M STOUT" while Jack liberates the people and requisitions a new time portal from now freed science dudes. During this time, Jack also happens upon an adorable dog and decides to keep it by his side, for it is such a sweet thing.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Not every show has to tick box your progressive demands for a show. Jack is a samurai that jumps good and tries to depose evil. This is the first time I've ever posted in a TV/IV thread and the reputation for this subforum to be weird is very much deserved by the looks of things, and that's coming from someone who frequents the star citizen thread. This show is art. It is doing what it set out to do and it's god drat fantastic.

Megaspel posted:

I think it's fine to talk about specific criticism not being valid, but I think it's kinda lovely to ask people not to discuss anything critical. You don't have to shoot down the discussion to disagree with someone, I think it's easier and better for everyone if you just focus on countering the thing you don't agree with sensibly.

I think it's an acceptable response when one encounters an absurd argument/criticism to state, "that is absurd and divorced from reality you utter goon."

Okay, here's a new question for you folks. Who thinks that Jack will manage to find his sword again? Or if there's another solution available? I honestly think that the sword is the only way to defeat Aku. When you lose the deus ex machina, you don't tend to just find another one. Jack is going to have to get his blade back. Reforging a new one doesn't seem viable to me, especially now that Jack's spirit is troubled. Otherwise the good gods of the world would have given another hero a weapon to take down Aku.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Then it deserves the critical rigor that other art also gets, and rightly so.
There are many angles to criticism, the feminist perspective being one of them. Dismissing a perfectly common and valid criticism rather than discussing it is a disservice to the thread imo. Id rather the thread be both discussion about events in the show and about the show itself.

Okay, fair enough. I guess I was thrown off by ZorajitZorajit's post, because it reads like a madman to me. Unless that's what you're defending, in which case...I guess I just don't know anymore?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Pavlov posted:

I think jack losing his sword is probably representative of him having lost his sense of purpose. If that's the case, him regaining his sword should happen around the same time he resolves his personal demons. Doing that seems like the main character arc for the season, so I'm going to guess he doesn't get the sword back until near the end.

It's pronounced "You've forgotten your purpose!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

:3:

• Locked thread