Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

this might just be an epileptic tree here, but maybe

this is fish-face jack

this is a pansexual pride flag

if we rotate fish faced jack…

we can see that his colors mark up to be p similar with the pan pride flag, aside from the use of orange in the middle instead and the teal ear flipper

#idk #take it as you will #i just wanted me some fish faced samurai #also yeah im implying that someone on the team is suggesting jacks orietation #is pansexual #could also be that these colours are v striking and look good arranged this way on a black bg and someone just wanted to use them #but why an arrangement like this

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

We all saw it, lemme get it out of my system before I go to bed.
*Sigh*

More heterosexuals AGAIN.

Couldn’t be platonic, or just be easily ignoreable straight subtext, like they afford all the straighties whenever we get “lgbt representation” nope.

I can live with this, I have lived with it my whole life, it’s fine.

BUT GODDAMNED HETEROSEXUALS!!!

I’ll still watch next episode anyway, because Samurai Jack is still cool.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Fabricated posted:

source your quotes

Y’all are so quick to jump on Samurai Jack for the age gap in his relationship with Ashi when half y’all would JUMP at the chance for a sugar daddy and most of you probably flick ya beans to older men all the time. Like, I don’t understand the issue since they are both adults and there was obviously a connection between them???

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

listen. im not upset jack and ashi ended up together because i wanted them to be gay, im upset because i didnt want any relationship at all
like this is the classic “men and women cant be friends” trope where a relationship that would be better off platonic turns romantic and it sucks!! like now we have to deal with more straight poo poo where it really isnt necessary and it loving sucks!!

I figured it out: there’s a limited amount of cartoon goodness in existence, so if any one show starts getting good, others are going to suffer. So as soon as Steven Universe produces an extraordinary Stevenbomb, Samurai Jack has to pull this poo poo to compensate.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The fact that I can drop unsourced tumblr posts into the thread and they don't stand out should tell you something about the level of discourse in TVIV.

Macksy posted:

Edit2: Oh, hey Moon Slayer! I didn't recognize you at first!

Hi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

isn't it more a comment on what people think of you

So the newest episode of Samurai Jack has everyone throwing fits. Whether you’re pro-Jashi or anti-Jashi, a lot of people are taking a very firm stance.

And really, when it comes to things like this I’m reminded that I’m considered old in fandom terms.

I may only be 21, but a lot of the people involved in this discourse range from ages, a lot of them I’ve noticed to be rather young. And maybe it’s this new mentality that’s been going around, that shows need to cater to the audience, but allow me to put in my two cents. (I’m going to sound like an old grandma telling her kids about her time, excuse me.)

I think my first major fandom was Naruto. Like, I was REALLY into Naruto for years, to where that was all I talked about. It got me heavily into shipping characters, simply because there were so many dynamics and such to work with. That’s where “Crack Shipping” came to my knowledge.

I feel like that was very instrumental to how I think about shows and the canon relationships they portray vs the non-canon ones. Personally, I don’t care what a show offers as a canon relationship. Whether I ship it or not, I will tolerate it. Why? Because I’m not a piss baby.

Seriously, what does it matter if something is official or not?

Like here’s the thing, my biggest, forever fandom that I will always go back to is South Park. I LOVE SOUTH PARK. I grew up with the show, but didn’t really get into the fandom until I was in about…6th grade?? Around that time I started to develope ships, and one of my biggest (actually my forever biggest) was Creek.

And what do you know!! Creek is canon now!!! But whether or not it ever became canon, I didn’t care. I liked it, so I drew content for it and read fics and just…enjoyed it. Did other people not like it? Sure! And they were within their rights to do so. You don’t have to like something just because a majority of the fandom does. Had Creek never become canon, I still would have enjoyed watching the show.

I guess what I’m trying to say here is that people are too invested in all of this. I personally never cared about whether or not Jashi became official, I actually really enjoyed the father/daughter or student/teacher dynamic. But I’m not devastated by this new episode.

Shows don’t need to cater to me. If I’m not personally a fan of what they’ve offered, I’ll create my own fanon in my head. I won’t complain. Because you know what??? I’m grateful for what I’m given. Y’all need to grow up.

• Locked thread