Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah in a world where reboots are committing character assassination left & right, its a blessing to see this show. The first two episodes had me riveted, I would be kind of blown away if they take a dive.

Genuinely wishing for Jack and the wolf to become homies. We don't need an incessant death march into sadness every second of the show, give him something to bond with and maybe not have every episode be him going like totally insane.

and then kill it :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A cool thing I noticed about this 2nd episode is that one of the first things that happens to Jack is that they very nearly slit his own throat and he has to do a quick maneuver to only lose some beard. it really didn't stand out to me at all on 1st watch, but on rewatch it really stands out as it's own scene.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
But at the same time, Jack still didn't die, walked into a trap like 3 times without dying and even dealt with one of them. We've seen the training they've gone through...

Jack's muscle fiber must basically be bridge cable at this point

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have to imagine that Scaramouche is also used to any opposition being rebel cyborgs, and probably hadn't tangled with a real warrior before, or at least a flesh one that doesn't just get instagibbed by the Tuning Blade

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm 100% that the speech Jack recites is what the bandit lord trying to kill his father says before he gets totally owned, and that was why the scene was so heavy for me, because it signifies that Jack is not choosing to defend himself so much as he is choosing to trap and kill them. Like, he draws first blood with his two opening shots and it goes am from there, he could have easily kept running. I think this means that the rest of the season is Jack taking the fight to Aku.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am guessing that Jack gets suckered in to the dark side or dies and gets Aku-Robocopped into the green shogun thing and Ashli will complete Jacks mission, but possibly only after defeating Jack.

Like Jack maybe shows Ashi what life could be like, but then they are captured.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really think the jack's-blood-as-Aku floating down the river is an important tidbit to signify that Aku has now been a bigger part of Jack's life than his actual life.

Like he was between 25-35 when he gets blown into the future... and now he's in his 60-70's, eating squirrels and demolishing robots... and now Jack is finally forced to kill real people to do what he has to do.

He has stared into the abyss long enough, I think Antler Shogun Jack is a foregone conclusion. If it turns out to be some Darth Vader in a tree thing I'll be kinda let down.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah like i get where you're coming from but maaaaaaaaybe finishing my sci-fi samurai epic with 70 year old Jack marrying a psychologically damaged 16 year old girl (or whatever, even if she's 30 it's still weird) is not the classiest set of slippers to go out in.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah that's always been the funny thing about Aku, because he's omnipotent but not omnipresent the world is ostensibly under his thumb but as long you never yell "AKU SUCKS" in a public square you can do whatever the gently caress you want, and that's how so many disparate human and alien cultures of varying technological prowess can exist on the same earth. It's hard to see the genuine downsides of being ruled by an evil overlord who just wants freshly polished statues and a comfy lava temple :doom:

Yeah unless you are one of the literally dozens of major cities that gets loving ANNIHILATED when someone tries to go call out Jack, lol. Like Aku's world might be orderly, but "Roaving super-powered Assassin using your entire city as chum" is probably more common than Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Fires & Floods in terms of raw population wiped out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Humanity as we know it probably never makes it past feudal japan, and the other dimensional beings/aliens/robots probably start showing up with advanced technology before we would have gotten electricity in our timeline, i imagine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it bears mentioning that while Ashi is probably a broke-brains killing machine... so is Jack. He also never got to grow up and have girl/boyfriends or anything. He has no experience of love post Aku, and the idea that 50+ years of sleeping by himself on rocks and pine needles falls by the wayside for someone who probably even smells like Aku is nuts, to me at least.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So in the last 50 years Jack acquired:

~ A Beard
~Paranoid Schizophrenia (He is hearing voices that urge him to kill himself, hallucinating even in the very thick of battle)

~Literally the motorcycle from Snowcrash except with spikes on the wheels
~His crazy transforming scrap metal armor

~Basically Han Solo's magnum laser blaster
~A chain gun
~ a pair Butterfly knives
~A ridiculous folding Electro-Extendo trident
~A bandolier of thermal detonators straight out of Star Wars

I'm willing to bet that his Ep1 mask was wooden and that he carved it himself, and that it vaguely reminiscent of Aku really shows much of his psyche he has given up to this endless quest. Aku is all he knows.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Im sure someone said this but if they really are trained assassins from birth then skin tight is definitely the best option, since it cuts down on drag in miod-air, nothing someone can yank or tug in combat, and it's harder to see blood/damage accrue as the fight goes on. Even tight robes like the other priestesses wouldn't make any sense for the ones with long range chain whips and stuff, too many tassels and folds to get caught in.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not to be that goon, but like why would you assume jack knows how to take heir pulse, or that they'd have a pulse at all?

They are furry blue aliens they could have wood instead of bones or something just chill out

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The creepy Space Russian's smile was literally chilling in an otherwise pretty lighthearted episode.

Visually the scenes where someone is moving towards the camera are consistently stunning, particularly this Ep with Ashi on the sea dragon' back.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

evilmiera posted:

I wasn't a fan of the Scotsman telling his girls to cover up. That's none of your beeswax, dad!

I thought it was lame but he immediately clarifies that they'll catch a cold, not that they're showing too much skin, so I think it's endearing/doting instead of sexist.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I for one appreciate the idea that the Scotsman's take on fighting Aku was to literally build an army.

It's funny if you imagine that siring a hundred daughters is what put him in the wheelchair, not fighting robots.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just had a for-real LOL thinking about a hundred thick scottish women's accents as they ruthlessly tease all the herculoids for "dwivin' their wee leetle trucky-wuckies to the big ol' fight" while Scotsman looks on with unfathomable pride.

The Dad stuff in this season is paramount, because I think ultimately Ashi's transformation hinges on Aku being a bad father to her, as opposed to being the actual living incarnation of evil, sorrow, and despair. If she had even one memory of Aku thatwas happy, this wouldn't be so cut-&-dry.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL that would've lasted 30 seconds and then he'd have gotten an earful of bagpipes and there's NO WAY that wouldn't disrupt his mojo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah but then Jack would have just gone back to Japan wouldn't he? I think it has to be far enough into the future that there is no trace of his culture anywhere.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There was 100% a Mr. Meseeks during one of the crowd scenes, he's wearing a green jerkin and a little hat.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jack going back and undoing the future we spent 4-5 years exploring with him is a sadder ending then if he just died in the future. I honestly don't see him getting to BOTH go back and also survive.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This discussion is the reason time travel plots are basically universally ducking stupid no matter what. TIME is not a thing or a place, it's an idea, and you cannot move to different points on an idea.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I personally didn't think there was anything even remotely sexual about Scaramouche whatsoever, and think it's kind of tellingly homophobic of anyone who interprets him as gay (because he's musical and talks in an annoying voice?). It's exactly like when Randy Marsh fails to correctly guess "Naggers" on Wheel of Fortune.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
and you bet that after Jack's intro where he shish-kebabs two of them instantly morale is probably low and they are freakin out.

Like I can easily see their training skip over how to stay calm there because they have never been taught to lose.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That's one of those things where just scrolling past it was enough to creep me out and kinda bum me out at the same time because that person exists and possibly talks at other, more innocent people about this stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo the goats were so cute that hurting them literally drove Jack insane and imbalanced his soul.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That's what I'd have wanted but it goes

*army approaches
*ashi tells the general to turn around
*he smiles
*Jack's teahouse scene
*general orc is bloodstained and terrified running heater-smelter over a pile of corpses and beatle drones
* Ashi picks him off with her kusari-gama from long range

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 3, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
An important point I have is that I think we're supposed to think Ashi is Japanese.

Her Mom called herself her Mother-Sister.

I think Ashi and her sisters are the modern extension of Jack's own lineage.

I think Aku got a Japanese woman pregnant and she had 7 daughters and every generation one of them ascends to high priestess and becomes Aku's new bride. After a hundred generations we now have creatures that are almost entirely Aku with only the faintest trace of humanity left. That is why Ashi can just solo hulk-buster her way through a thousand mooks barehanded.

If this were a darker show I'd bet for an old-boy style twist here, (the first high priestess was Jack's but since we won't see that I'm happy just to assume that Ashi is drawn as Japanese because Aku is convinced that "the tiny yellow people from that lovely little island are the scariest humans, so they are the perfect breeding stock for my elite warrior priestess caste"

Haven't watched this weeks episode yet but I am certainly going to withhold judgement until the showrun is over.

Echoing 1-3 as probably the tightest any show has ever looked on CN.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jack will stay with his Waifu in the future

OR

She will now be Pregnant but he wil ditch her and move to the past.

Aku's grandson, Jack & Ashi's child, will be the supreme ruler of Earth forevermore.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Looking at this now, it's pretty clear, to me at least, that Episode 1-3 are probably the first half of the movie and the last 6 episodes were probably just fashioned from whatever Gennedy had planned.

Samurai Jack has always been a show where Time Travel was a plot point but never addressed paradoxies or any of the other bullshit minutiae that makes time travel utterly toxic to everything its a part of, so it's pretty disappointing that it, in one fell swoop, just makes all of Jack life just a legend that never technically happens.

That said I remember watching a behind the scenes//making of about Cowboy Bebop like 15 years ago and one of the directors basically said "You cannot tell an authentic Japanese myth or legend with a happy ending, because they don't exist. If you really want to be true to Japanese myths and culture, nothing comes without a price, nothing is ever easy, and people who expect rewards for their great deeds fundamentally don't understand what it means to be a hero." when asked about their own final episode, and that has been in the back of my mind all season. I knew, hell or high water, that something would make Samurai Jack's victory feel hollow or weird, i was just praying it was "Jack stays in the future to kill Aku, but killing Aku kills Ashi". This is probably the most authentically japanese way to end this story, and the show has always been grounded in Japanse myth, tradition, and custom, because that is what Gennedy set out to do.

Like, can you weigh out the suffering of those who were conquered by Aku vs the unilateral unmaking of he untold trillions of lifeforms in the Aku timeline? The terror of watching your entire world fade out from reality in slow motion like a powerpoint presentation switching slides? I'm gonna get a nosebleed lol.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I'm unfamiliar with the rest of his work but literally every human being is drawn super exaggerated and I feel like the Asian/Norse/Scotish depictions are just as stereotypical?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He does though, just after 54 years of psychological and physical torture. The only woman he ever loved was an alien killing machine literally made out of unspeakable evil. He gets to retire as the Emperor of Japan and-

gently caress THEY NEVER TOLD US JACKS REAL NAME FUCKETY gently caress gently caress ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The episode where jack fights 9 wicker baskets was probably my favorite if only for the level of brutality displayed by the robots

• Locked thread