Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I am so, so incredibly stoked for Samurai Jack. It's kind of ironic that the legendary show would itself be flung into the future. :haw:

E: ^^^ don't forget sound direction. The action sequences in 'Jack and the Spartans' have this pounding war theme that never fails to get the adrenaline pumping. 'Jack and the 3 Blind Archers' and 'The Princess and the Bounty-Hunters' are also excellent from the opposite end of the spectrum, ie honing in on silence and minute sounds to set the tension.

Can you tell I've been binge watching recently?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Oh, wow. Its kind of telling that when you mentioned the episode, I remember the scene with the princess practicing cutting water drops. So good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWW9m0t5_IY

:black101:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

livingfruitvirus posted:

The Jack marathon stream has returned.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/streams/samurai-jack

AND there will be a live Q&A with Genndy Tartakovsky Saturday at 10 PM Eastern, followed by the season premiere at 10:30 PM on this stream.

Aw HELL YEAH! :woop:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Many years later, it just clicked with me that Jack's theme song (ie in the show while he's walking around, not the intro theme) is an homage to Yojimbo's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-1yudPCq8&t=43s

Guess my Japanese Film Studies course in college finally paid off! :v: It's crazy picking up on the references in Samurai Jack now that I'm older.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Regalingualius posted:

Anyone wanna get into speculation? Cause I've noticed a lot of people going on about how Jack's sword is conspicuously absent from the trailers...

If the comics are in any way canon, then (spoilers from comic) Jack is able to manifest the blade spiritually from his own pure soul.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Khaba posted:

I can't agree with this enough. 'Jack and the 3 Blind Archers' and 'The Princess and the Bounty-Hunters' were easily two of my favourite episodes, and it's no coincidence that they do a lot of with sound. I don't think it's in either one, but I just loved when they panned around a village in the rain and you could hear the different sounds of the rain pattering off the roof, the trees, and some metal. The silence that often permeates the majority of most episodes only enhances it.

Anyways, super stoked, can't wait.

You're probably thinking of "Samurai vs Samurai" where Jack is antagonized by an obnoxious 70s Blaxploitation film character poser. The attention to detail, especially with the rain falling on the bamboo stick, is rather stunning!

Also, a reminder that Adult Swim is doing a continuous stream of Samurai Jack until Saturday. It will have a Q&A with Genndy Tartakovsky at 10 PM EST then premiering Season 5 at 10:30 PM EST, 30 minutes earlier than Cable TV:

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/streams/samurai-jack

It's been a lot of fun geeking out over nostalgia with other long-time fans. What's even better was seeing commentary from people who've never seen the show before and were guessing at what would happen next. To be that young again... :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TV Zombie posted:

Oh man...what is that third poster about? :stare:

Samurai Jack is gonna decapitate one of the female assassins, holy poo poo. :stare::stare::stare:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just as a reminder:

On the Adult Swim website, there's an on-going marathon for the old Samurai Jack episodes until 10 pm. At 10, there will be a Q&A with Genndy Tartakovsky followed by the Season Five premiere at 10:30 (and on cable at 11).

e: Wow, there's a lot of spammers screaming slurs and hate speech over and over again in the chat. Just a forewarning; you can full screen the video to avoid the chat if you want. :whitewater:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 11, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
12k viewers, 982 in chat! Yowza! :eyepop::captainpop:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Anyone else having issues seeing the chat? It's showing as empty with zero users online. I've tried clearing my cookies.

e: Also, this preview music is intense as gently caress, hot drat!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Holy poo poo, Jack is bugshit insane. :stare:

Also, for the record, nearly 40k viewers and 1.7k chatters on the stream.

e: Another thing: one major difference now is Jack gives zero fucks. He doesn't bother with pleasantries at all now, just MURDER KILL DESTROY then move on to the next thing to murderize. Samurai Jack is basically Guts from Berserk now, and Aku is Griffith/Void.

Theory: The shadowy figure on the horse is the possible future where Jack succumbs to destructive nihilism and becomes a force of chaos worse than Aku. He's terrified of what he's becoming to the point of hallucinations. If he can't go back to the past nor die of old age, what else is there left but to slowly go mad from decay and entropy? What is there left to live for if he's denied his purpose in life?

e2: Jesus, the way Jack stares down people is totally different. Before, it was a quiet determination. Now, it's just screaming "I want to rip out your entrails and watch you drown in your own blood" levels of loathing. :stare:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 12, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Milk
Eggs
Bread
Murder

Just a typical day in Crazy Jack-land! :shepface:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Season Five Episode Two promo:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=W4lNEvs1jZ4

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dean of Swing posted:

TFW the only deal with 50 years of fighting is to see everyone you kill as a machine.

I wonder if Jack will hallucinate and literally see the Daughters of Aku as machines spurting oil instead of blood?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jack has a lot of burden on his shoulders. He's the one supposed to save everyone. It's his literal purpose in life since he was a small child, anyone in his shoes would go crazy.

E: Something I just noticed:

The hallucinated floating corpses in the river are specifically drawn to be both struggling and blind. :stare::stare::stare:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 13, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jack is stuck between a rock and a hard place, I think.

After 50 years, Jack has come to believe all hope is lost. Yet, he's still driven on by his personal demons (:haw:) to keep existing. He still feels an obligation like before, but he's just too exhausted from the struggle to keep his heart in it.

Crazy theory: is the rope thing on Jacks neck when he's fighting the bug bots supposed to represent a noose? It kinda looks like it. (Or is it just to keep the mask secure on his face?)

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 13, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
They took the Samurai Jack marathon off of the Adult Swim website. Why not Tim and Eric instead? :argh:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Just whip it out! You know what I mean, that cah-razy sword!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Shapeshifting Masters Of Darkness: What Do They Know? Do They Know Things? Let's Find Out!

That's just TOO MUCH, man!

*laugh track*

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
^
Speaking of which, holy poo poo I just realized the reason why Scaramouche gives up at the end of his fight with Jack:

Jack purposely threw the sword to explode near Scaramouche's neck to disable him. His neck is mangled because of it and can't scat-sing nor does he have any weapons left to fight Jack.

Jack is straight up butchering a defenseless opponent who surrendered to him in cold blood.
:stare::stare::stare:

e: See: _____ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execution-style_murder

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 15, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I mean, he literally murdered an entire village solely to get Jack's attention. Not to mention he'd definitely try to kill Jack again down the line, if not right when Jack turned his back. Would YOU have spared him?

No, but this is pretty different from how Jack handled robots before -- without fanfare or expounding on honorable samurai ethics. It's not about sparing the robot or not but how they get destroyed this time around.

I think it's intentional why they added the Horror movie-style music when Scaramouche's head pops off. Jack is more of a killer than a samurai at this point, and I think that's going to be even more explicit in the next episode, not to mention the shadowy samurai-figure in his hallucinations.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 15, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
For some reason, I'm getting a Dark Souls vibes from this scene in the most recent episode:

Anybody else feel that too?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Season Five Ep. 2 airing tonight at 11 PM EST, that's about one hour from now!

Watcha!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Gotta get back. Back to the past.

Suicide Jack.

Yeah, that was, uh... :stonk:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
That felt like seven Jasons vs 1 horror movie protagonist.

Hachi machi. :stare:

E: new theory:

The green horse dude is the judge of hell (like Yama/Enma of Buddhist mythology) and Jacks afraid of what happens if he eats the bullet.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 19, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Up until the Samurai came back he had nothing to fear and nothing to achieve. He stood at the peak. Jack changed that.

He has spent 50 years waiting for Jack to Kill him, or for someone to Kill Jack. It is his life now, and the wait has driven him a bit mad.

There's also some comedic irony in the evil villain getting professional help while the hero slowly goes mad, like a reverse Joker-Batman relationship.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Is it really professional help when he is the person he is talking to? Its just another flavor of crazy.

Better than Jack's blue suicide buddy at least! :v:

E: from the Adult Swim thread:

livingfruitvirus posted:

Samurai Jack's premiere got 1,552,000 viewers and a 0.8 18-49 rating, making it the second highest watched show of the night next to a college basketball game, and beating several other college basketball games including the PAC 12 game that ran right up against it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Annointed posted:

Yeah I'm convinced this group is a credible threat to Jack. It'd be kind of messed up if Jack kills them in increasingly raw and brutal ways in his descent to madness.

Something tells me that the area Jack is waiting for the assassins in is booby-trapped to the gills.

It will be vicious.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Elite posted:

Also lol at the evil scientists.
"This guy has been wrecking armies of our beetlebots without breaking a sweat. What are we gonna do?"
-- "Okay I'm gonna go a bit crazy here, but hear me out. GIANT BEETLE."

I enjoyed how even Aku was like, "Yeah, okay, whatever you stupid fucks. Not like you've been doing this for fifty years now or anything."

Speaking of which, those are the same scientists from the X-9 episode. How'd they become immortal too?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 19, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Welp, it only took two episodes. Jack took his shirt off, so everyone take a shot.

Yes.
http://i.imgur.com/lvtdclx.gifv
One can hope.

I like to imagine this as 'Mako (but with a Yiddish accent, for some reason)' so it's not as jarring.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
While Jack is burdened by the heavy responsibility of taking a human life, Scotsman likely gives zero fucks about it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Somberbrero posted:

The Scotsman is definitely dead or close to it.

He's in one of the promos with a minigun leg and gray hair.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Roobanguy posted:

he let go of the knife when he fell into the river, so i have a feeling we won't be seeing it again.

Speaking of the river, was anyone else taken aback by the amount of blood in the river?

It just seemed so dark and, well, blood-like. Especially the sound it makes as it drips when Jack is limping along just beforehand and how it spider webs in the water realistically. It's really bloody blood vs oil!

e: Also, were the ruins a visual reference to Borobodur? That, or some kind of southeastern Asian Buddhist temple?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 20, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
My gut tells me that the Scotsman will help Jack get back his will to live like he did snapping Jack out of the Sirens' control.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Megaspel posted:

How old would the Scotsman be though? At least his 70's, though more likely his 90's, and it's not like you have an amazing chance of long life as a rebel against an ancient evil who controls the world.

EDIT: never mind, forgot he was confirmed a while ago with the wheelchair thing.

Even the promo notwithstanding, the Scotsman would make it to old age just to make sure Jack doesn't beat him by outliving him.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Episode was great, if a little underwhelming relative to the past two episodes.

Blue Jack was hosed up, the blood scenes were cool, the use of white on black was great, and Jack just coldly letting Ashi drop mid-rant was the most shocking part. I expected a more cliche resolution like Ashi begging to be spared and converting then and there to be helped back up, but nope. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Rewatching the episode, yeah holy poo poo Jack's dad literally cuts the dude in half and sprays his young son in the face with blood. :stare:

Normally, I'd get annoyed with this kind of retconning, but it makes total sense for any child to block that out from their memory in retrospect.

Cabbit posted:

I took that whole spiel as Jack justifying the murder act he was about to commission on the lot of them, more than anything. The flashback to his father chopping up the bandits and Jack echoing his father's words seemed to imply to me that he believed these women were rational actors whose choices in life lead them to this point, when we the audience know that's the furthest thing from the truth.

It makes sense since, at least this way, they are given full warning that they risk death by pursuing this further and will not be pursued if they run away.

That's more 'honorable' or 'ethical' than unintentionally slitting someone's throat or, worse, intentionally catching someone off-guard like some common thief. That's about as much as you can rationalize murder to an honorable samurai guy and reconciling their stained life path with their original honorable intentions. If anything, Jack seemed to get some of his old samurai mojo back when he became focused and less morally confused this episode by offering them a clear choice.

Like an earlier poster mentioned, this is like an inverse villain's speech: instead of the villain psyching out the protagonists, it's the protagonist psyching himself up by absolving himself from the morally ambiguous actions he is about to take. It's not explicitly worded that way by Jack, but I think that's the whole point of the 'face your destiny' speech.

(IE, Instead of worrying about the morality of the individual, focus on how amoral circumstances led up to this point leaving no other peaceful alternatives. So it goes, etc.)

tl/dr; What I'm saying is that there's a lot to unpack here and Samurai Jack is really good.

e2: Other things I liked:

-Contrasting Jack's primitive 'caveman' like appearance and resourcefulness with the intimidating 'Shiva' battle formation of the Daughters of Aku

-The similarity of the blood lines on Jack vs the wolf representing their spiritual kinship

-A weird Chuck Jones/"Duck Amok" vibe with how the Daughters of Aku are visually imposed on a blank background chasing after Jack.

There's just a lot to read into with this episode. Less visceral but more subtle than the last episode, honestly.

e3: Also, I don't know if it's intentional or not, but Ashi's rant seems less personally angry at Jack and more like a brainwashed hatred of Jack brought on by psychological conditioning. There's a pretty big (if subtle) difference between the two and it gives plausibility to Ashi eventually changing sides.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 26, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Blue Jack also reminded me a lot of the Jack from Aku's Fairytales episode, what with the jagged teeth and all.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The deer scene is proof positive why you shouldn't homeschool your kids. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

poo poo, I forgot to mention about the snow acting as a pseudo-robe for Jack in my notes above. The episode, in many ways, was Jack attempting to return to his old form despite new challenges.

Great post!

e: The bleeding statues scene you mentioned also made Jack look very reminiscent of the viking magma man in the 'Jack and the Lava Monster' episode.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 26, 2017

• Locked thread