Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So when will the episode that was supposed to be on last night air? Did it officially get moved back a week? What about the usual midweek rerun?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

At least it was Rick and Morty and not Screwy Squirrel played all day.

Thanks for reminding me. Cartoon Network knows how to troll its audience sometimes.

Best April Fool's was when they brought back Toonami for one night back in 2012 and showed the penultimate episodes from fan favorites like Cell Saga DBZ and Outlaw Star. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
drat it, my DVR wasn't scheduled to record for tonight. :( Any idea on the next rerun of this episode?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gumbercules posted:

Well, got double pranked when my DVR didn't record jack. Why even pay for cable?

:(:hf::(

The April Fool's thing last week must have screwed with the DVR listing, I didn't even think to check.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is it just me, or did the voice acting seem 'off' during the 'Jack/Ashi escape the blue monsters' sequence?

Otherwise, great episode!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It's pretty great how Scotsman purposefully used his life as a bargaining chip in distracting Aku to save his daughters then to come back as his original self in ghost form. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

NewMars posted:

Oh, one thing I almost missed: When the ghost samurai is standing behind jack with their sword drawn, they're acting as his "second," the one who beheads the person committing seppuku after they disembowel themselves.

That was a really nice touch (plus the Shinto spirit shrines), I agree. Samurai Jack is great about small details. :allears:

Speaking of which, was the Scotsman ghost gag last episode supposed to foreshadow that Jack's ghosts were in fact real and not just psychological hallucinations?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

correction: the one who beheads you if you fail at your task (of suicide). If you fail or stop for whatever reason, your bro beheads you, and your honour is retained

I mean, not really. It's mainly as an act of mercy by the commanding feudal lord to the guy doing seppuku so they don't have to keep writhing indefinitely in pain. It's like, "you did the ritual. We're satisfied, go ahead and end his pain." More vindictive officials might draw out the suffering, though.

It's about Bushido ethics with being able to keep your composure in accepting extreme pain and literal death in front of a witness, not necessarily succeeding in killing yourself (that's what the second is for), etc.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 23, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

VJeff posted:

His frustration made him kill innocents instead of fighting to save them as he usually does. That's what did it.

"Like those kids that were killed!" by Ghost Jack in a previous episode could also refer to goats/rams. :v:

Also, I really enjoyed this episode. I broke out into a grin by the second time they did the contrast between Ashi (external) and Jack (internal). :haw: A little on the nose, but I'll take it.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 30, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Final episode credits roll, Scaramouche hops along ready to tell Aku the news but is disappointed when he hears it's all over already.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Finally got around to watching the latest episode. That was, uh... Passable, at best? :geno:

In isolation, some things were good - like the hat-making scene was cute and the Punjabi music/use of color was cool and the Alien monster was threatening/interesting enough; but the rest of it was kind of a cringe-inducing, disjointed mess and the whole episode could really be axed (mainly the first half, the second half featuring the alien was decent).

I'm not that disappointed, but I'll chalk it up as a last opportunity by the creators for a semi-comedic episode before the last two episodes concluding the series which will no doubt veer on the dramatic side of things.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 8, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
That episode was decent, but man is the romance hamfisted. I'm... not as attached as I think I should be. :(

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I had a feeling that the 'Daughters of Aku' eponym might be literal (considering the birthing scene), but it didn't occur to me that that's where the story would end up for the final conflict.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gynovore posted:

Actually I kinda saw this as Scaramouche's head just blowing up on it's own.

Scaramouche was so shocked by Jack having his sword, his mind was blown. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jellymouth posted:

Anybody post this yet?

I like this. :D

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
t-30 minutes 'till The End of Everything. :toot:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
They really, REALLY needed a few more episodes to flesh out the plot more. :sigh:

I mean, I'm glad the series finally got closure, but what happened to the writing? It got incredibly cliche as gently caress, like the writers realized they had a plane to catch and scribbled the second half of the season on cocktail napkins. Everything was telegraphed and predictable as hell.

Overall, disappointed at the rushed writing, but glad the series got an actual ending after all these years. The cameos were fun fanservice and the art direction was stellar as always, at least.

e: Also, holy poo poo, yeah who thought it was a good idea to cram a series finale into 23 minutes instead of, y'know, making it an hour-long special to pace things better? :psyduck:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 21, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, how'd we do on that bingo sheet?

e: Quoting for reference -

Jellymouth posted:

Anybody post this yet?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 21, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wish the ladybug had aku's eyebrows as it flew away

I would have enjoyed a stronger implication of Ashi reincarnating into a ladybug, but I guess that'd be cliche too, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Needed to be an hour long, also instead of the dumb delayed reaction McFlying Ashi should have disappeared instantly while all of Jack's friends crawl wounded out of their wreckage to comfort him and it starts raining or whatever. Then he goes back and defeats Aku, smiles sadly as he's crowned emperor and all the people from the first episode are there, ladybug scene unchanged.

The only problem of course would have been how exactly Jack would go back to the past. Ashi using Aku's power was actually pretty well set up and I don't know what alternative could have also been.

Seeing how many better possible alternatives there are to wrapping up the plot leads me to believe that the whole Jack/Ashi romantic relationship subplot should have just been scrapped entirely to make things more streamlined (especially with a limited budget).

It still feels really forced and mangled the rest of the plot and pacing as a consequence.

E: I get the feeling Genndy came up with Ashi early on in development as the new plot device that would resolve the story then tied everything around her. It's not that she's an inherently bad character, but that to try and squeeze in the romance overshadowed everything else and meant other already established elements that could've been used in a time crunch fell by the wayside, making the whole thing weak and hamfisted as a result. It's dead weight, story wise.

E2: Also, maybe I just don't understand how animation budgets and corporate attitudes work, but why would Lazzo - a purported diehard fan of Samurai Jack - basically give Genndy tablescraps in terms of financial and episodic budgeting?

That doesn't seem right to me; my gut tells me that the simpler answer is that Genndy and Co. were just bad at writing romantic relationships (which is understandable since Jack's character has always been that of a loner - which the team was much more familiar with writing - and well-done authentic romance is hard to pull off even for seasoned writers) but they felt for reason that they absolutely had to include the romance as the essential core the rest of the season and finale would pivot on (see above), so they forced it in.

It makes more sense if the Ashi/romance bit was considered a non-negotiable by Genndy super-early in development and kept on to the very end, when in reality it was a sloppy first draft idea that should've been scrapped and started over.

That's my guess, anyways.

Tl;Dr Genndy bad at writing romantic plots, but forced it in anyways; show suffered for it.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 21, 2017

• Locked thread